The 'Bigger Bang' is here (concert review thread)..

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

The 'Bigger Bang' is here (concert review thread)..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Although I'm suffering from a bit of a cold, I'll be in attendence at The Q for the Rolling Stones concert tonight..From what I hear, there will be several pre-concert get-togethers..One at Mr Toads in the Old Market..

For anyone else going to the show, provide your concert reviews here..

Next Sunday, both the Stones and Brooks & Dunn (opening act) will be playing in Detroit at the Super Bowl..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OK, don't ask me how, but we were in the 2nd row, 5th & 6th from center. (Sorry, no pics to prove it.) I literally spent the entire show closer to Mick and Keith than Charlie did, except for the time they rolled the stage out to the middle of the floor. Pretty awesome. Keith was pretty much in constant violation of the Nebraska Clean Indoor Air Act, which I will be writing my local representatives about, I'm sure. ;)

I walked out of the arena next to Alexander Payne (sp?), who seemed to be in deep conversation with a lovely mother/daughter combo. So he had that, but I DID watch the show from 3 rows closer than him. :)

See ya in 2046, guys.

-Big E

Edit: And for the sake of DTO, et al, Mick made a reference to the "Cornhuskers restoring the order". I kid you not. It was mostly met with lukewarm response.
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I was section 116 row 18..Good seats..Especially when the stage moved to the middle of the floor..

GREAT show..Several references by Mick and Keith as to not being in Omaha since 1966..Keith mentioned that the city 'grew a bit'..Really all good stuff..

They played all their classic songs..My favorites being 'Brown Sugar', 'Sympathy for the Devil', '(I can't get no) satisfaction' and 'Honky Tonk Women'..For a bunch of 'old guys', the Stones were very high energy and youthful sounding..

The crowd was pretty much a raucous bunch..It was a party atmosphere..The age demographic consisted mainly of people 20-50..Some maybe in their 60's..But this was certainly not a show for your grandparents..

Long time country group Brooks & Dunn opened up with a brisk 45 minute set..There was about a 30-40 minute pause..Then the Stones played for 2 hours and 20 minutes including a double encore set..

I'd pony up the same cash I did to see this show again..

Oh and one final thing..That Huskers 'restore the order' reference by Mick, was met with a bit more of a enthusiastic response than Big E is leading on :wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is a complete playlist from the Stones Omaha concert:

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. It's Only Rock and Roll
3. She's So Cold
4. Rough Justice
5. |expletive|
6. As Tears Go Bye
7. Rain Fall Down
8. Tumbling Dice
9. Gimme Shelter
10. This Place is Empty
11. Happy
12. Miss You
13. ONNYA
14. Get Off of My Cloud
15. Honky Tonk Women
16. Sympathy for the Devil
17. Start Me Up
18. Brown Sugar
19. YCAGWYW
20. Satisfaction..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Did the World Herald have to put in the article that kids were "creeped out?" A great review and then they have to put that in there.

Wish I could have been there.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

BTW, the female vocalist singing on Gimme Shelter was easily the highlight of the concert. Holy Smokes!

-Big E
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Watching CMT ( Country Music Television for those of you not in that loop :wink: ) this AM @ 10:00 and they opened their CMT Insider show with a nice story on the Rolling Stones concert in Omaha with Brooks & Dunn doing the opening. Had some nice night shots of the Qwest from the outside and a few fan interviews that were positive. The Qwest, the signs and a partial shot of downtown looked great. One nice shot of the lite up Qwest Center Omaha sign really looked nice.

This story was based on the fact that these two acts are the 1/2 time acts for the Superbowl and they pointed out that this is the first "opening act" job for B&D in MANY years.

I am sure it will play again in the next couple of days. The segment in right at the opening so if you catch it you will only need to watch about Five min. of CMT if it's not your thing!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Thanks for that info nebugeater!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Big E wrote:BTW, the female vocalist singing on Gimme Shelter was easily the highlight of the concert. Holy Smokes!

-Big E
FYI-

Her name is Lisa Fischer..And she was awesome!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!