España (Downtown Benson) - CLOSED

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

España (Downtown Benson) - CLOSED

Post by eomaha »

España (Downtown Benson)

My wife and I made it to España (located in downtown Benson) for the first time ever.  Not sure how we put it off so long, what a fantastic restaurant.  We loved the whole tapas bar concept.  And Big E would (assuming he hasn't already been there) be happy with it's smoke free atmosphere (including the bar).  If you're not familiar with the tapas thing, the menu has about 50 cold and hot appetizer sized dishes from which you're encouraged to mix and match (everything from traditional chicken/beef/etc to calamari and snails).  There are also a few entre dishes.  Anyway, if you haven't been there before, I highly recommend it.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Tappas are so awesome. I've gotten really into tappas since living here. They're great drunk food, especially if you're in a large group.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Yeah, not a bad place. They did a nice job taking over the old Sprigs space.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

In a Kobe 'shrimp catch' like spirit ... they brought around a carafe (Porrón) of Spanish wine to tables and challenged patrons to drink from it...

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I AM SO FREAKING THERE.

For some reason, I can't figure out why we haven't made it to Espana yet (I don't know how to make the squiggly enya thing). Tapas are (is?) PERFECT for a large social outing. Just start ordering and eating.

The best restaurant in Baltimore was a tapas place that opened about 4 months before we left. We'll see how they compare. I now plan on getting there within the next few days.

A few questions:

1) Prices? Are they aiming for the high end experience, or fancy bar food?
2) Set up for big groups or is it more intimate?
3) Did you get shot at while in Benson? ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

How pricey is it? I may want to try it out.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

My wife and I ate for about $60 (excl. tax) which included 4 appetizer tapas' and 1 entre tapas, a margarita, and an outstanding fondu dip desert (we both left stuffed). When we were there, I would have described it as a festive atmosphere. There were a couple of large groups surrounded by a bunch of couples. It is a fairly small restaurant. You could get away wearing jeans, but most were dressed in a business casual attire.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I saw this and immediatly started laughing. I guess I'm not so far from being a teenager yet. :lol:
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Funny, my wife got a kick out of that picture as well. Thought I had something else on my mind.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was at an establishment in Benson last week and they were talking this place up big time. If I remember correctly they said there was live music (Flamingo/Jazz?) on a certain evening.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Amazingly there's a 3 year old World Herald story link still active: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... nd=7528191

I should mention, reservations are recommended! We ended up sitting at the bar, which was fine in this smoke free setting.

If the World Herald story is still accurate, they indeed have a dancer on Thursday nights and a flamenco guitarist on Sundays.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A three years old link on OWH? Now that's a first.

http://www.espanatapasbar.com/index.htm.
Friday April 14th Latin Jazz Group

Friday April 21st Latin Jazz Group

Sunday April 30th Wine dinner"Tour of Rioja" six courses with six wines.
Hadley playing Flamenco guitar through the course. $60.00 per person

Friday May 5th Latin Jazz Group
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

(I guess I didn't look hard enough for that link, thanks Mark!)

Nice!  One of Omaha's many 'hidden' treasures!

Judging from what we missed a week ago, I guess we were there on a slow night...

http://www.omahanightlife.com/viewartic ... icleID=110
Last edited by eomaha on Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - thanks for reminding me about España Jeff.
A friend told me about it a few months ago and I was going to test it out,
but subsequently erased that mental note a few seconds later.
I love the concept of a wide variety of appetizers. In many restaurant I will just order three appetizers for a meal.

BTW Jeff. Maybe you could create a new forum subject: Restaurants
For people who like fine dining - we could write reviews, critiques, recommendations or warnings about our many eating establishments.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Restaurants? Reviews (in general)? or specifically Restaurant Reviews? I suppose a Restaurant section could draw news on new/closing establishments as well. I don't want to get too carried away with forum subjects, but sometimes it seems breaking them out actually motivates further posts. Thanks for the suggestion Mark.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Dangit! And I was all looking forward to the Flamingo music! ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I have been there 2 or 3 times. It is truly an awesome night out.

The #1 comment I have heard from people when they go there is (and everyone here is going to love this one :wink:) "You forget you are still in Omaha!!"

In other words it is a truly unique restaurant in Omaha.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Jeff you are more a pervert than even me… good man.
Last edited by MTO on Mon May 01, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have never heard anything but EXCELENT reviews!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Jake, I'm not sure what you're saying... but I think it's good. :)
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I ate there during the CWS last year on the recommendation of a friend of Omaha Cowboy (after last years forum meeet) and have been back 3 times since. The food is always good and you order as much or as little as you like.
Favorite dish is the mussels

- and lots of sangria
:D
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

Living in the country of the birthplace of tapas, Spain itself, I have come to appreciate tapas quite a bit. It is a absolute necessity of life over here.

With that in mind, I have been to the restaurant Espana a few times. What a unique concept to bring to a restaurant. Spaniards generally eat tapas as an appetizer, just as their name indicates, but turning this idea into a full course meal is brilliant. I have said over and over that if this restaurant was located out west or even downtown, it would be a HOT HOT restaurant to go to, and it already is.

The best thing Spain has to offer is their traditions of music, food, and dancing. If you can go to a restaurant thousands of miles away from the real thing but still feel the same atmosphere, then that is truly a great restaurant. Espana provides that feeling. Two thumbs...wayyyy up!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

For the record, this isn't a brilliant idea that Espana cooked up. This is a brilliant idea that someone FINALLY brought to Omaha. It's been all over the country for years.

Maybe it was the same people who brought the downtown condo and mass transportation ideas? ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

Right, this is not a new idea to the United States, but is certainly new to a city known for its many restaurants. I will say, however, that it appears the ownership is of actual Spanish decent, which makes this restaurant unique in its own respect. The Spanish may all love the same things, but you can go into 10 different Cervecerias and taste 10 different interpretations/differentiations of certain dishes. Not to mention, sangria is really a personal speciality for many Spanish as they take pride in how their own is unique from others.

Now if we could only bring back the Spanish nightlife to Omaha - now that'd kickass!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Does cervecerias translate to beer stores?

-Big E
Stable genius.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Relax Big E... I don't think anyone was suggesting that Omaha some how invented the tapas bar. And add to the record... España is not new, it has been open in Benson for almost 3 years now. It just happened, I personally 'discovered' it for the first time. :)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I wasn't ruffled or anything... just making a clarification. I think you can tell by now when I get my knickers in a twist. :) I know no one was suggesting it, I just didn't want anyone infering it.

-Big E
Stable genius.
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

Big E wrote:Does cervecerias translate to beer stores?

-Big E
No, it actually translates into "brewery." However, it is neither a brewery nor a beer store. A cerveceria is a tapas bar of sorts. It is a bar like atmosphere that serves tapas and beer/wine/liquour. Spanish go to these little places all throughout the day. For lunch, dinner, after dinner, before dinner. They play cards, they drink, they smoke, they eat...It is a perfect representative of Spanish culture.

Cervecerias here are very local, meaning that the neighborhood is generally tied to the cerveceria. They are ALL OVER. I mean everywhere. It is amazing how they all survive, but it comes down to the fact they have a loyal clientele and they have been around forever.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

We made it tonight. We'll be back. Holy smokes we'll be back.

Not much time right now, but for the most part that's at the top of the list of Omaha restaurants. Some dishes were freaking AWESOME, and some were just good bar food.

I certainly look forward to exploring the menu. Full review later.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New owners, same tapas

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10585166
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Bill Graves is selling España, the Spanish tapas restaurant he launched in Benson in 2003.

Graves said Thursday that local developer Bob Pelshaw and his associate Carlos Mendez, a former España employee, signed an agreement to purchase the restaurant and have begun the transition.

Pelshaw and Graves said the restaurant will keep its name, menu and staff. Pelshaw said the hours and pricing might be amended.

When the handoff's complete, Graves said, he'll take a vacation and work on plans for a new restaurant.

One restaurant concept he'd been working on wasn't right for the current economy, he said. But he thinks he "might do another restaurant in the fall or the spring" if he can find the right real estate.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I sure hope the new owners keep it going in the right direction.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Review: A Spanish escape

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091009/E ... /710099882
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:This slightly older, wiser España, under new ownership since spring, offered a warm welcome, a table ready at the reserved hour, lower sangria prices, slightly larger portions on most tapas, helpful wine-pairing suggestions and a new ordering recommendation from convivial and attentive servers: two or three tapas per person, instead of four or five.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I love that place. I haven't been in a long while. Every time I've been I've never got out for under $300.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Re: España (Downtown Benson) - CLOSED

Post by Linkin5 »

Espana Benson location is closing in October.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

Linkin5 wrote:Espana Benson location is closing in October.
The owner (Carlos Mendez) and chef Benjamin Maides will be opening a "fresh culinary concept" in its place. Little Espana will remain open.

http://www.espanaomaha.com/event/bye-by ... bye-omaha/
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Was España not doing a lot of business?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

daveoma wrote:Was España not doing a lot of business?
Last time I was there it had a crowd, just not as good as before. We decided to stop going there as it stopped serving lamb and other favorites.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

Went to the final night of Espana in Benson last night. Espana's entire menu will be transferred over to Little Espana (at the moment the menus were a bit different). All I could find out about the new restaurant going into the old Espana space is that it will be a locally-sourced "European" restaurant.