LJS Article of Omaha Music Scene

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jsheets
Human Relations

LJS Article of Omaha Music Scene

Post by jsheets »

Today's Lincoln Journal Star has a nice article about the Omaha music scene. It covers everything from background stuff up to the present.
http://journalstar.com/articles/2006/05 ... 458017.txt
The emotive stylings of Bright Eyes could become the next Big Thing. And the Faint’s ecstatic dance albums could put Nebraska squarely in the center of the indie music map.
Talk with music critics, record label executives, musicians and local experts, and it’s clear that the Omaha music scene has changed drastically in the past 10 years. It’s equally clear that where it currently stands remains unclear.

Is Omaha a soon-to-be Seattle or an adolescent Athens?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Holy 4 years ago, Batman!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

LOL... No kidding.

Hello, LJS? 2002 called. It wants its insight back.

Homer: "Hey Marge! Did you know they have the internet on computers now?"

-Big E[/i]
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The Faint is indie? Hmmm news to me..
I also enjoyed how they said all these Omaha bands could put “nebraska” on the map. It most have been a humorous article like last time.
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Indie isn't a sound (as much as some radio dj's might want it to be)...it's a business model. And last I heard, they're still on Saddle Creek (though I haven't asked in a while).

I don't know why the LJS printed this, as it could be a verbatim article from Spin or RollingStone circa 2001. They should be working harder to write about the good Lincoln bands that are constantly flying under their (LJS) radar.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

o yeah when I'm surfing through satellite or internet radio and i pick an indie channel all i hear is the faint get real.
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Yeah, trust the radio stations, they know what they're talking about. Is the River still calling it self "cutting edge"? Ha! :roll:

You do know that indie stands for Independent Record Label, right? While the Faint may not be an "indie rock" band, they're still most definitely an indie band.

That is unless the rumors of their signing to American have actual merit.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

ya ya ya i know the edge started that i know independent.. lets get back to LJS bashing
15-17, 26, 32