Dixie Chicks to play Qwest Center..

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Dixie Chicks to play Qwest Center..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

On September 23rd..After the arena expansion..

The entire Dixie Chicks tour from pollstar.com:

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall. ... HI&PSKey=Y

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think I might try to make this one.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

^ ha ha very funny, if you do go your not my friend anymore... Pixie Sticks ok so where is Maynard????
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Whatever you were totally jamming to the Chicks in the car the other day.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Guys say it ain't so! :lol: Well good get for Omaha though, prolly another sellout for the Qwest. You won't see me there though. :D
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah if its the QCO you know it will sale out unlike others i.e. WFA.
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The Dixie Chicks have inspired me to start a boy-band that sings country. We're going to be called the Chixie Dicks.

:)
Last edited by TitosBuritoBarn on Sat May 20, 2006 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Very creative Titos..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Very creative Titos..
Haha, I can't take credit. A stand up comedian named Zack....something...said it...

:lol:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well..

I guess I'll direct my comment to Zack then..(although I think the Dixie Dicks would be even better)..

:lol: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I like all kinds of music and for reasons not quite understood by me, the Dixie Chicks' (or whatever we're calling them) music appeals to me as well. So I might see them even though I didn't like the lead singer's comments that she was embarrassed to be from the same state as our President. For some of you with different political viewpoints than mine, though, this might be a reason for you to go to the show afterall.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

Oh god forbid anyone speak out against our President...

:roll:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I wonder if Bright Eyes will open for them
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

guy4omaha wrote:the Dixie Chicks' (or whatever we're calling them) music appeals to me as well.
Naw..Were calling them the Dixie Chicks..The 'other' name was in reference to the potential creation of an all male band using the same name theme..Bad joke..And probably in bad taste as well..

For the record, I may attend this show. Although I'm not a big country music fan, some of their music also appeals to me (and I admit, so do their looks)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

MTO wrote:I wonder if Bright Eyes will open for them

Speaking of Bright Eyes, they were parodied on SNL the other night. The skit was about Neil Young's new 'subtle' protest album and Neil did a song with the Dixie Chicks and Bright Eyes.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Radical Chicks - Time Magazine Cover Story

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 19,00.html
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

papiostud wrote:Oh god forbid anyone speak out against our President...

just a little self-deprecating humor there Papio
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

papiostud wrote:Oh god forbid anyone speak out against our President...

I have no problem with what they said. I was just ticked with the forum they choose to speak it in.

I will mention plenty of problems I have with Omaha here. However, when I am in a forum outside of Omaha, I will defend it completely. Just like my brother could beat the **** out of me growing up, but no one else could.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If you don't want to pay 50++ bucks and park next to billy bob you can watch their concert on ABC tuesday night.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Are you suggesting there are rednecks in the great, cosmopolitan city of Omaha Jake?..

:wink: ..

Or perhaps there is a probability that people just enjoy the Dixie Chicks and country music in general..

(Most likely)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Not in our metro of course not. They'll pry just drive in from bumpkin land.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MTO wrote:Not in our metro of course not. They'll pry just drive in from bumpkin land.
Never heard Dundee refered to as this before!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
MTO wrote:Not in our metro of course not. They'll pry just drive in from bumpkin land.
Never heard Dundee refered to as this before!
:lol: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Never said I was going. Ill pry be at Sokol that night... :twisted:
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1458&u_sid=2175776
As war in Iraq loomed, Maines said in London: "Just so you know, we're ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas."

The remarks led to death threats and a backlash from other country stars. For band member Martie Maguire, the controversy was a blessing in disguise.

"I'd rather have a small following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith," Maguire said.
HA! Even necks don't like necks.

-Big E
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:
HA! Even necks don't like necks.

-Big E
Of course. Here is a link regarding that:

http://upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?Story ... 1753-8848r

After reading their arrogant comments in the OWH article, I have to agree with the comment that their new song is nothing more than "self-indulgent and selfish lyrics."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Riiiight... So the deal is THEY hate us for our freedom, and WE hate us for exercising that freedom? :roll:

They're pop stars. Put about as much faith in their social activism as you would Britney's parenting skills.

-Big E
Stable genius.
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

I respect the Chicks a heck of a lot more than blind knee jerk patriotism of the "love it or leave it" crowd. Controversy like this illuminates who likes America for the freedom of expression and who likes America for the freedom of expression so long as the expressor agrees with them.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I have been reading some of the news on them and also read the TIME article. They have a right to say what they want to say --- just like a lot of other singers are singing songs and speaking out these days.

Not saying i agree or disagree with what she said but it is really interesting how the radio stations blacklisted to the point that even if you wanted to hear one of their songs you can't on the major radio companies.

It will be interesting to see how the ticket sales go.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Uffda wrote:Not saying i agree or disagree with what she said but it is really interesting how the radio stations blacklisted to the point that even if you wanted to hear one of their songs you can't on the major radio companies.
-Welcome to America. They are free to say what they want and the radio stations' customers are free to exercise their right to boycott those they disagree with. Sorry, but people like the Dixie Chicks can't have it both ways. They cannot demand a right to free speech, but then whine other Americans exercise their rights to free speech.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I don't think anyone was claiming the radio stations violated anyone's rights, nor should they be forced to play something they don't want to. The argument is the same from both sides:
They cannot demand a right to free speech, but then whine other Americans exercise their rights to free speech.
Kind of like "You're entitled to your opinion as long as it is the same as mine", or "I am accepting of all religious beliefs, as long as they consider Jesus Christ Lord and savior". You can't talk about how much you love the United States and then whine about people exercising the rights and principles on which it was founded.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

"Just so you know, we are ashamed that President Bush is from Texas"

I think the reaction to that quote was incredibly over-blown, considering the comment isn't anti-American, anti-Texan, anti-war or even explicitly anti-Bush.

It's a relatively vague comment expressing their frustration with the lead up to the war.

Although you have to question the intelligence of a country music star speaking out against anything. Come on, you have to know your fans are going to be upset.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Are we really on page 2 of a Dixie Chicks discussion?? :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yeah. You know this thread needs wide open spaces.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

the radio stations' customers are free to exercise their right to boycott those they disagree wit
My guess it wasn't a majority of the customers but a loud vocal minority.
You can't talk about how much you love the United States and then whine about people exercising the rights and principles on which it was founded.
Very true but these days that does seem to be the way some people want it.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

stick a fork in it then..
15-17, 26, 32
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote: You can't talk about how much you love the United States and then whine about people exercising the rights and principles on which it was founded.

-Big E
-What? That argument makes no sense. Dixie Chicks exercise their free speech. THEN, fans exercise their free speech in opposing their views. People WANT so badly to make it the issue you say it is, but it is not. It is simply two sides EACH exercising their rights and then one trying to play the victim.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Actually it makes perfect sense when you consider I wasn't attacking your stance. They spoke their minds and now they have to deal with the consequences that they should have know would come.

BUT, the people that are actually criticizing them for speaking their minds and daring to not goosestep with the Presidentator are the same people that claim to be the most patriotic, flag-toting, Costitution loving Americans God had the wisdom to bless the rest of us with.

Just a little hypocrisy from the wings, is all.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Moovedtoomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Moovedtoomaha »

joeglow wrote: Sorry, but people like the Dixie Chicks can't have it both ways. They cannot demand a right to free speech, but then whine other Americans exercise their rights to free speech.
Just FYI... they aren't whining.

I believe one of the statements made in this week's Time Magazine by one of the members (Marti...?) said that the hubbub & fall out was a blessing in disguise. They'd rather have a small base of dedicated, educated fans who "get it" than a bunch of fans who throw their CDs in the changer with Reba, Toby Keith and the other big acts of the moment. (I am paraphrasing slightly - couldn't find the article I read to provide the link.)
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So that dumb chick made a comment and it became over politicized. Now all they are doing is capitalizing on it. The less we talk about it the faster it will go away.... hopefully.
15-17, 26, 32