Dixie Chicks to play Qwest Center..

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

I am sure the Dixie Chicks don't give a rat's behind if people disagree with them but gee, getting death threats is a little unnerving. Pardon them for being upset and cut them a little slack.

Completely unrelated circumstances but I have had my life threatened by a nutjob and I know few other people who have too and you don't just "get over it".

There is plenty of room in this country for discourse. It's the freaks who don't get that means more than one opinion is valid and threaten people that cause problems.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

True it is a free country and you can say what you want. But that doesn't protect you from the backlash of society. And since they are pop stars backlash may be severe.
15-17, 26, 32
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

MTO wrote:True it is a free country and you can say what you want. But that doesn't protect you from the backlash of society. And since they are pop stars backlash may be severe.
Okay, celebrities should expect to have their lives threatened for stating their opinion. That's just the price the pay for being famous, right? Hmmm. If that's the prevailing attitude of the general populace, what's the point of living in a "free" country?

I wonder what happened to the concept of freedom comes with responsibility.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Laws cannot dictate a societies behaviors the way you want them to. It is unfortunate what you are saying but if they didn't want the negatives of being a celebrity then they should have never became celebrities.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:Yeah. You know this thread needs wide open spaces.
\

Sure, now bring Garth Brooks into it
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

MTO wrote:Laws cannot dictate a societies behaviors the way you want them to. It is unfortunate what you are saying but if they didn't want the negatives of being a celebrity then they should have never became celebrities.
MTO, I understand what you are saying but seriously, who thinks, "Gee, I can never say a peep if it is not about sunshine and rainbows and happy stars and stripes or someone might threaten to to end my life. Oh, I guess I won't become a celebrity." It probably doesn't occur to many people that there are a*holes out there who'd do that.

Now granted these girls were from Texas which has rednecks aplenty (and having traveled I've learned they are everywhere) but they probably weren't expecting that severity. Crush cds, boycott a band, fine. Celebrities should expect that if people don't like them they will boycott movies, concerts, books, etc. It is grossly unfair to say someone should not have an occupation in the public eye in the first place because their life may be threatened.

Instead of saying it's their problem and they shouldn't have become celebrities, it makes more sense to say it's the a*hole's problem who can't handle freedom of speech w/o threatening someone's life. If that's the type of country someone wants they were born in the wrong century and the wrong country. This isn't 1930s Germany and the problem is THEIRS, not the celebrities.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

nebugeater wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:Yeah. You know this thread needs wide open spaces.
\

Sure, now bring Garth Brooks into it
Garth Brooks? That was a Dixie Chicks song referance.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Okay..

Again, Dixie Chicks will be playing Qwest Center on 09/23/06..

And now we put a fork in the ancillary discussion..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!