Sickies Garage Burgers & Brews - Westroads

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Joe's Crabshack coming to Omaha (CLOSED)

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

It's Almost Done!

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I nice addition to Omaha's dining scene.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

KETV was reporting on their Facebook page before 6 AM this morning that there was a line wrapped around the building for their 11 AM open today.  Guess there is some crab leg promo for the first 100 guests.   Crazy.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

Rumour has it they bought land at Shadow Lake...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So anyone go recently?  Have the lines dropped off to a resonable crowd like other places yet?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Finally Tried Joes Crab Shack. Arrived a little after 12:00 noon, and there were very few people there despite cars all over the place. Told Mr. Reggae at the front desk I wanted a table, and despite 10 booths and 10 tables open (only 2 booths and 2 tables were taken) he looked on his tablet for 45 seconds before deciding where to seat me. When my waitress arrived I knew what I wanted, and asked what local beers they had on tap and she asked "like what", I suggested Lucky Bucket and she said "we have that" so I asked what one, she stared at me for a while and said "Lucky Bucket... its dark" ,so I ordered one anyway... She later asked if I had been there before, which I replied, no, so she showed me that the roll of paper towel were my napkins and the bucket in the middle.... I should have said I live in Louisiana, but it was my only entertainment for the day...

Got the Crab Sandwich which was good for what I was expecting here. I might go back if I am hungry enough for one of their Crab Buckets.  

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Coyote wrote: asked what local beers they had on tap and she asked "like what"
In NYC a couple years ago I was at a 5 Napkin Burger and asked about local beer. Was told Bud Light.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

In NYC I always got things from the Brooklyn brewery or Blue Point brewery for such a huge city there were a surprising lack of local microbrews..
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Joe's Crab Shack

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha is a pilot city for Joe's Crab Shack's no-tip policy.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:
The Omaha location of Joe’s Crab Shack is one of 18 nationwide testing a no-tipping policy. Customers will not be expected to leave a tip once the test begins. No service charge will be added to guests’ bills to replace the gratuity. Menu prices have been adjusted slightly to account for the added labor cost, but the prices are typically less than the average 20 percent service tip, the company says. It says servers, hosts and bartenders will be paid higher, fixed hourly wages.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Also, I heard that there a a dozen or so closing around the country...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Also, I heard that there a a dozen or so closing around the country...
So I just googled news for Joes and it says they closed 7 locations and are converting them to Brickhouse Tap and Taverns.... The Opposite of what they did in Omaha...
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald:
The Omaha location of Joe’s Crab Shack is one of 18 nationwide testing a no-tipping policy. Customers will not be expected to leave a tip once the test begins. No service charge will be added to guests’ bills to replace the gratuity. Menu prices have been adjusted slightly to account for the added labor cost, but the prices are typically less than the average 20 percent service tip, the company says. It says servers, hosts and bartenders will be paid higher, fixed hourly wages.
That's awesome. I hate tipping.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

EMV chip credit/debit cards slowly being rolled out is another reason to ditch the current tipping model. Since EMV transactions are unique and must be completed with a card present, restaurants can't go in an pencil in a tip afterwards. This necessitates the customer telling the server how much to add to the bill total when processing the EMV transaction. Depending on the person, that can be an uncomfortable situation.

I forgot the name of the restaurant, but the owner pays their servers like $10/hr or 20% of sales, whichever is greater. The gratuity is factored into the menu price. That may be a fair compromise for servers concerned about losing tip revenue.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:I forgot the name of the restaurant, but the owner pays their servers like $10/hr or 20% of sales, whichever is greater. The gratuity is factored into the menu price. That may be a fair compromise for servers concerned about losing tip revenue.
That's a great idea. I always wondered how to motivate servers if there is no tip involved. What's the incentive for them to upsale an appetizer or dessert, or upsell to a call or top shelf spirit.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

jessep28 wrote:EMV chip credit/debit cards slowly being rolled out is another reason to ditch the current tipping model. Since EMV transactions are unique and must be completed with a card present, restaurants can't go in an pencil in a tip afterwards. This necessitates the customer telling the server how much to add to the bill total when processing the EMV transaction. Depending on the person, that can be an uncomfortable situation.
Tip-based business Canada, which has been using chip cards for some time now, have gone to handheld card readers. When it's time to pay, they put the card in, start the transaction, and then hand you the reader, where you type in the tip amount and confirm it. You then hand it back to the server, who prints off the receipt. They don't see the tip amount until then. When I've eaten out in Canada, it was always pretty seamless.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

The handheld machines make things so much easier. Here in Germany it's customary to tip 5-10% as "drinking money" on top of the total bill, which usually includes service charges as well. Works well for people with the EMV cards without the pin (really only the US)...waiter puts total amount in, you put card in, add Trinkgeld if you want, and put pin in or sign (sometimes even right on the machine digitally), and then you're good to go. Or I use contactless (since almost all EMV machines have NFC) if it's less than the threshold.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett
Planning Board

Re: Joe's Crab Shack (CLOSED)

Post by Garrett »

Closed.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Garrett wrote:Closed.
Not surprised. Been there once, it was basically red lobster but more expensive.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Isn't the whole chain going into bankruptcy
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

They are being bought out of bankruptcy by Landrys.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hopefully a better restaurant will invest in that place.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Perhaps they'll bring back Romano's Macaroni Grill? :roll: (Well, WE liked it.)

Has that ever happened around here? A place closes, is replaced by something else, then the something else closes and the original spot returns?
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

garyomaha wrote:Perhaps they'll bring back Romano's Macaroni Grill? :roll: (Well, WE liked it.)

Has that ever happened around here? A place closes, is replaced by something else, then the something else closes and the original spot returns?

I have to say we liked it too.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

garyomaha wrote:Perhaps they'll bring back Romano's Macaroni Grill? :roll: (Well, WE liked it.)

Romano's Macaroni Grill and Joe's Crabshack were both owned by the same company, Ignite Restaurant Group. So Romano's coming back is doubtful
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

debradomayer wrote:

Romano's Macaroni Grill and Joe's Crabshack were both owned by the same company, Ignite Restaurant Group. So Romano's coming back is doubtful
Actually, Ignite sold Macaroni Grill to Redrock Partners in 2015.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Padre wrote:
debradomayer wrote:

Actually, Ignite sold Macaroni Grill to Redrock Partners in 2015.
Thanks! The info I read obviously was outdated
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

I think that Andre's Tortillery in One Pacific Place has been L&N (M?) Seafood at two different times.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

GaryOmaha:. Valentino's had 2 stints in the same bay in a shopping center in Council Bluffs. I can't remember the name of the shopping center...it is South of Mall of the Bluffs and I-80. Kinda near Family Fare (formerly No Frills).
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

RNcyanide wrote:
Garrett wrote:Closed.
Not surprised. Been there once, it was basically red lobster but more expensive.
I'd been to the one in Olathe a few times, and Round Rock once. Red Lobster is better, but Joes I could stomach about once a year. Joe's spices were a little off-putting compared to RL. Nice gift shop, though ;-)
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Add me to the list of people who would like to see Macaroni Grill come back. That was my go-to sit-down Italian place. Although I think the place that was on the Dodge St. frontage rd that led to Old Mill was a little tastier...Grissanti's?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Add me to the list of people who would like to see Macaroni Grill come back. That was my go-to sit-down Italian place. Although I think the place that was on the Dodge St. frontage rd that led to Old Mill was a little tastier...Grissanti's?
yeah, Grisanti's was a small chain at one time--another location in Louisvillle, KY, Lincoln, Denver and I forget where else. The food was very good. They closed early 2015. The building was still there as of June 2015, when I left TD Ameritrade.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Add me to the list of people who would like to see Macaroni Grill come back.
I'll second this. I liked that place and was sorry to see them close their Omaha location..

As it relates to Joe's- I ate at the Omaha location exactly one time. I was not impressed. The food was not bad per se.. But I thought it was over-hyped and over priced for what you got...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Ryan_Huskers
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryan_Huskers »

This happened in Fremont. Valentino's closed after many years, and the building was remodeled and turned into a Don & Millie's. Then a few years later, Don & Millie's closes and Valentino's decides to reopen in the same spot.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

The Des Moines location was/still is vastly superior to the Omaha one. Never had a bad meal in DM, whereas I was always disappointed with ours, and the entry way always seemed to stink of garbage.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I never visited the Omaha location but did go to to the Des Moines' one once. I agree that their location near the small lake works better. However, the food was still nothing to fancy. It didn't seem any better than Red Lobster with really high prices.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Recent Joe’s Crab Shack closings:
Joe’s Crab Shack 20 Meadowview Dr Meadowbrook AL
Joe’s Crab Shack 1420 S Azusa Ave City of Industry CA
Joe’s Crab Shack Hazard Center San Diego CA
Joe’s Crab Shack 245 Jefferson St San Francisco CA
Joe’s Crab Shack 1451 N Federal Hwy Ft. Lauderdale FL
Joe’s Crab Shack 12124 S Apopka Vineland Rd Lake Buena Vista FL
Joe’s Crab Shack 4402 N University Dr Lauderhill FL
Joe’s Crab Shack 1590 Pleasant Hill Rd Duluth GA
Joe’s Crab Shack 11965 S Strang Line Rd Olathe KS
Joe’s Crab Shack 51 Ludwig Dr Fairview Heights IL
Joe’s Crab Shack 5626 Northridge Dr Gurnee IL
Joe’s Crab Shack 2000 E Golf Rd Schaumburg IL
Joe’s Crab Shack 8250 Dean Rd Indianapolis IN
Joe’s Crab Shack 2757 E 80th Ave Merrillville IN
Joe’s Crab Shack 7051 Arundel Mills Cir Hanover MD
Joe’s Crab Shack 3020 Lohr Rd Ann Arbor MI
Joe’s Crab Shack 4975 S Baldwin Rd Lake Orion MI
Joe’s Crab Shack 33879 Van Dyke Sterling Heights MI
Joe’s Crab Shack 2704 Snelling Ave Roseville MN
Joe’s Crab Shack 20001 E Jackson Dr Independence MO
Joe’s Crab Shack 5856 Suemandy Dr St. Peters MO
Joe’s Crab Shack 701 N 102nd St Omaha NE
Joe’s Crab Shack 1048 Cedarbridge Ave Brick NJ
Joe’s Crab Shack Monmouth Mall Eatontown NJ
Joe’s Crab Shack 4250 E Sunset Rd Henderson NV
Joe’s Crab Shack 4125 Maple Rd Amherst NY
Joe’s Crab Shack 1700 The Arches Circle Deer Park NY
Joe’s Crab Shack 100 Marketplace Dr Rochester NY
Joe’s Crab Shack 1195 Corporate Drive Westbury NY
Joe’s Crab Shack Palisades Mall West Nyack NY
Joe’s Crab Shack 5940 NW Expressway Oklahoma City OK
Joe’s Crab Shack 7646 E 61st St Tulsa OK
Joe’s Crab Shack 1520 Nolan Ryan Expressway Arlington TX
Joe’s Crab Shack 10250 E Technology Blvd Dallas TX
Joe’s Crab Shack 14901 N Fwy I-45 Houston TX
Joe’s Crab Shack 12400 Gulf Freeway Houston TX
Joe’s Crab Shack 2066 S Stemmons Lewisville TX
Joe’s Crab Shack 711 E Expressway 83 McAllen TX
Joe’s Crab Shack 7277 S Plaza Center Dr West Jordan UT
Joe’s Crab Shack 3239 Silver Lake Village Dr Pearland TX
Joe’s Crab Shack 1974 Power Plant Parkway Hampton VA
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

And crabs everywhere are celebrating. :clap: :clap: :clap:
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Heard that the now closed Saint's on 120th may be going in this space.

Won't do well if the same management brings the same lackluster service.