2006 Summer Arts Festival

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It was good, I think there is enough talant in Omaha to make it much larger, but there was a nice mix of items. There was also 16 different Beers were brewed here in Nebraska in the "Nebraska Craft Brew" tent.

**RANT**

I actually have 2 rants.

1. Why does anyone thats not blind need to take their freeking dogs to the art fair. I was an art fair not a god damn dog show. Leave your Freeking dogs at home go check out the artwork then go home and play with your freeking dogs there. There is absoutely too many people to have dogs at the art fair. The dogs created more "traffic" than was already there.

2. If you protest petition signature collectors. Get a Freeking life. A petition is just to get something on the ballet for a vote of the people. It does not make any laws it just puts it up for a vote. So you and your stupid yellow shirts walking around the art fair bothering us normal people who are trying to look at freeking art get the |expletive| out.

END OF RANT
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

^ completely agree. I don't know how many 200lb dogs i saw at the Taste of Omaha and then to add that much more people. I hope you didn't see any pit-bulls, that would be about as bad as brining a small bomb.
15-17, 26, 32
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

I feel bad for the dogs because people are rarely carrying water for them. How miserable.

Did you go yesterday or today? The temps were perfect for it today.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

No after party pics? No lick for a buck?
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

We'll continue to take George to these and other events. He enjoys them, doesn't get in anyone's way... and people, kids in particular, love to meet him as well (of course we always have water/treats/waste bag/etc on hand to support him).

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What a cute little security guard.
Well I was going to say if its something like Paris Hilton's dog that you carry. There isn't nothing wrong with that. Security and a chick magnet in one.
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Actually, I'd almost rather we left him at home sometimes. We literally can't make it more than 5-10 feet before we're stopped with another "Awwww", "How cute!!"...

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

jhuston wrote:We literally can't make it more than 5-10 feet before we're stopped with another "Awwww", "How cute!!"...
I get that all the time, but I don't have a dog... ?

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

jhuston wrote:Actually, I'd almost rather we left him at home sometimes. We literally can't make it more than 5-10 feet before we're stopped with another "Awwww", "How cute!!"...

AWWWW How cute!

:D

- what no more boob shots?
15-17, 26, 32
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

Awww George has cow spots!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I didn't see any Huston Family Lap dogs, but I did see HUGE dogs. There were a couple of those big huge small horse dogs, several labs, boxers, rotties, rymeliners. Non of wich looked mistreated. It was just too crazy down there and that just added to it. I have 2 dogs at home that like to go out and about, but I will stick with the park.

If I had to choose between the dogs and the petition protesters, I would keep the dogs, at least they weren't giving you |expletive|.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I love dogs and have 3 small dogs myself but, I went to the festival on Sunday the the size and number of dogs was a real problem. It looked more like a dog show then then an arts show. One family had two labs, they managed to get one of them tangled in my legs, instead of apologizing they stood there with smiles on their faces waiting for me to compliment the dog on being cute or nice or somthing like that. I didn't say anything but I almost told them this was no place for a bunch of dogs.
I have no problem if some has a small dog and can carry them.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I agree -- I feel people should keep the dogs home. At taste of omaha there were several people with large dogs and some places it was wall to wall people. Also sooner or later, most of those dogs have to relieve themselves and some people arent' as conscientious about picking stuff up and then there is some you can't pick up. And people are sitting on the grass also to eat.
OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

I didn't go this weekend or to Taste of Omaha. Hearing about the dogs kinda makes me glad I didn't. I got a infant and the last thing I need is some dog trying to get friendly with her.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

MTO wrote:
jhuston wrote:Actually, I'd almost rather we left him at home sometimes. We literally can't make it more than 5-10 feet before we're stopped with another "Awwww", "How cute!!"...

AWWWW How cute!

Awwwwwww how cute...
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

People who have dogs and live in apartments (which is a lot of people in the Old Market) have no choice but to take their dogs with them.

You were in their neighborhood, afterall. :P

edit: although I'm guessing people who have two huge labs don't live in an apartment. but still...come on people, show some compassion!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Swift wrote:People who have dogs and live in apartments (which is a lot of people in the Old Market) have no choice but to take their dogs with them.
Not to nitpick, but no choice? Surely if the apartment allows dogs, they allow them to be in a kennel while the owner is out and about, don't they? Someplace like this would be one of the last places I'd drag my dog out to, even if it was in front of my house.

But I'm with you, show a little compassion for man's best friend. As long as people clean up after them and keep them on a leash (and they're not biters), what's the harm?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

What I meant was that they needed to take their dogs out to do their duty...and why not save two birds with one not stone...browse the SAF as well.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

As I said, I love dogs and have 3 myself but the number of dogs on that day I went was a problem. I know I wasn't the only one who had their legs wrapped up in a leash.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

MTO wrote:
MTO wrote:

AWWWW How cute!

Awwwwwww how cute...
Aww how cute.

I'm sure people down there where dealing with the dog’s just fine. But it's just common sense to not bring your 80lb lab to an event that draws a 100,000 people.
15-17, 26, 32