Get ready for more free gigs in the park

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Get ready for more free gigs in the park

Post by omahahawk »

U.S. Cellular's ear for music: more free concerts :D

Building on the success of the 311 concert in 2004 and this year's Bright Eyes concert, Mayor Mike Fahey has struck a deal with U.S. Cellular to sponsor additional free concerts each of the next two summers.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=145 ... nd=9692819
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Please, let the Faint be one of them :D
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They are wanting people to email in suggestions before Monday to the OWH on who you would like to see perform at the concerts.

In the realm of possibility:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Foo Fighters
Smashing Pumpkins (that would be cool to get them back together)
Audioslave (Chris Cornell could sing the phone book and I'd show up)

Want, but ain't gonna happen:

Metallica
Ozzy
Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
DTO
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

DTO Luv wrote:They are wanting people to email in suggestions before Monday to the OWH on who you would like to see perform at the concerts.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Foo Fighters

Are you serious? I was under the impression they mostly wanted local bands who have turned national acts. These bands would be some HUGE gets.
Where did you see that the OWH wanted email requests on this and what email address do you send them to?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

christine.laue@owh.com

Give them your name, city, and phone number and tell them why you want ____ (band) to play in the concert.

I would rather not see anymore local bands. None of them are that great. I went to 311 but could care less about seeing some guy that makes John Mayer look like Pantera. We should push for something hard to get.
DTO
praymojo420
Home Owners Association

Post by praymojo420 »

They are wanting people to email in suggestions before Monday to the OWH on who you would like to see perform at the concerts.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Foo Fighters

Want, but ain't gonna happen:

Metallica
Ozzy
Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Yeah, good bands with a good percentage of the members still alive won't play. But hey, Wind and Fire could roll through.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

DTO Luv wrote: We should push for something hard to get.
Thanks, I totally agree. Gotta admit though, I'd be totally shocked if they could afford the likes of the Chilli Peppers. And even if they could, I'd be surprised if they brought them in. I could just imagine the ginormous riot a free Chilli Peppers gig would cause.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I see why they had Conor play but he's not really that popular. Have someone that would draw a big crowd.
DTO
Hooloovoo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Hooloovoo »

DTO Luv wrote:christine.laue@owh.com

Give them your name, city, and phone number and tell them why you want ____ (band) to play in the concert.

I would rather not see anymore local bands. None of them are that great. I went to 311 but could care less about seeing some guy that makes John Mayer look like Pantera. We should push for something hard to get.
If they are looking for any sort of local angle, I would think they'd try to get Maroon 5. I personally don't like them, but one of their members is from Lincoln and they would probably draw a decent crowd, especially since it is free.
Locke
Home Owners Association

Post by Locke »

If they are looking for any sort of local angle, I would think they'd try to get Maroon 5
I just threw up a little. :x
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

DTO Luv wrote:I see why they had Conor play but he's not really that popular. Have someone that would draw a big crowd.
You mean like tomorrow's heros?

But seriously if you want a big name then go ahead and fit the bill.
15-17, 26, 32
Hooloovoo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Hooloovoo »

Locke wrote:
If they are looking for any sort of local angle, I would think they'd try to get Maroon 5
I just threw up a little. :x
I wasn't exactly enthused about having the idea. All I know is they will have to be creative to get any decent acts that are contemporary for non-boomers. We're out of "big" Omaha natives that fit the bill.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Personally I would love to see Ben Harper in Omaha.... but I would also like to see this as a local thing and not just another national thing.

How about pick one from the following categories:

Tier 1 Bands uber popular bands
Bright Eyes
Matthew Sweet (Lincoln)
Maroon 5 (Lincoln one member)

Tier 2 Bands Nationally popular but not quite uber
the Faint
Cursive
the Good Life

Tier 3 Bands Big bands from yesteryear
the Millions - now disbanded but in the early 90's they were at the top of CMJ's music charts.
Beef Curtans - in the early 90's they were very popular around Omaha
Mousetrap - Regional success on Indy label (Duth East India Trading) I think
Blue Moon Ghetto - Very popular in the early to mid 90's around Omaha

Tier 4 Bands Up and coming bands from Omaha, Lincoln etc...
Forty Twenty
Sarah Benck and the Robbers
Anonymous American

I am sure there are many others but at the moment I'm spent!!

Now take one from each of the categories as long as you can afford them all and you would have one kick arse show.
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

Isn't whatshisname in Counting Crows from Lincoln, too? And they have a song called Omaha, right? lol
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah somewhere in middle america..... they won't stop playing in the g.d. coffee shop.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I wouldn't go if it was free to see any of those local people. It would be better to see someone can't be seen in Omaha any night of the week.
DTO
midtown charlie
Human Relations

I wouldn't go if it was free to see any of those local people. It would be better to see someone can't be seen in Omaha any night of the week.

When was the last time you saw these bands playing any night of the week in Omaha?

Bright Eyes
Matthew Sweet
Maroon 5
the Faint
Cursive
the Good Life
the Millions
Beef Curtans
Mousetrap
Blue Moon Ghetto
(I would also add Such Sweet Thunder as a good local band of old)
I also overlooked some of the local R&B/rap artists - Not my thing but they should be a part of it as well.

I realize that you may not like these bands but that shouldn't be the reason to not have them play. (Especially considering that everyone has different musical tastes.) I went to REO Speedwagon not because I like them musically but because it was a fun event. They did sound good though. Just not a big fan of their music.

I am suggesting that you tier it so that you get a mix of bands and mix of popularity. Some up and comers and some big names and a few from days of old. Hopefully if you organize it well you will have a good mix of bands and maybe you have bands all day long. As sad as it may be, I am not sure if it is realistic to expect 60,000 people there for mostly local bands even if some are now national acts. I would be happy if you get 10,000 people though. I would like to see Omahan's support more of their local musicians. It is lightyears better than back in the 80's but it still has a ways to go.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Why would anyone sponsor free event when the attendance went from 60,000 to 15,000? Seems like a waste of money. Why not get your moneys worth and bring in a group that can pull at least 30,000. I knew the Bright Eyes show wouldn't have as many people because they aren't all that popular. If you go with whatever the next big local act is your just going down the ladder, as will the attendance. All of those bands you listed above I've never heard of. I'm sure most people hadn't either and wouldn't be as willing to check them out for free either.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

DTO Luv wrote:Why would anyone sponsor free event when the attendance went from 60,000 to 15,000? Seems like a waste of money. Why not get your moneys worth and bring in a group that can pull at least 30,000. I knew the Bright Eyes show wouldn't have as many people because they aren't all that popular. If you go with whatever the next big local act is your just going down the ladder, as will the attendance. All of those bands you listed above I've never heard of. I'm sure most people hadn't either and wouldn't be as willing to check them out for free either.
Because the attendance went from 60,000 old people with their kids to 15,000 people in their late teens to late twenties.

That really should be the point of these concerts. Have one for the family and then one for the young "brain drain" crowd. 15,000 is still a sell out at the Qwest Center, afterall.

Oh, and Bright Eyes is more popular than REOSpeedwagon (when was the last time REOSpeedwagon had two albums in the top ten at the same time? Oh...never) REOSpeedwagon is just more family friendly. Because how many people do you think were actually like "REOspeedwagon! Oh my God we HAVE TO SEE THEM!!!!!" My guess is that it wouldn't be 15,000.

With the Bright Eyes show you got people to go that would never otherwise go to these shows.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yeah, because 60,000 geriatrics went to 311. :roll:

All bands I've ever heard from Omaha all sound the same to me.

-Lots of people try to do off-brand funk and sound like 311

-One word. Punk. Well one more. Puke

-The metal bands which can give you something ok every so often.

-Shity rock bands that with names that are too long to be clever.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If you think all our local bands sound like 311 and or sound the same then you are still living in the 90 and have no |expletive| clue what you are talking about! Stop hating local music!
And free shows are just another dimension for the city and its music. Don't worry we will still have those shows that you can pay 60 bucks to go see.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Alright guys..

Lets settle down a bit..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Sorry D'Shawn just PO when he gets so self riches about music. Just because James LaBrie isn't in our local music scene. Plus his brother is in a local band you would think he would have more compassion. I'll just have to body-slam him when I see him tonight.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

My brother is playing at some places for the River concert thing. I wouldn't go if he wasn't my brother. I'd still complain though. They're terrible and only have been playing for a year. Being a trained musician I don't understand it.

I think it would be cool to have Collective Soul or someone like that here. Jerry Cantrell (from Alice in Chains) would be a good one to have.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ok I'll agree with you there, your brother does suck. But we all have our dream bands that we want to play but I guess thats just how the cookie crumbles.
15-17, 26, 32
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

a majority of the younger crowd they are targeting dont like metal or heavy metal anymore. That faded away in the 90s, and cleaner lighter sounding rock is what is more popular now. They dont want to get a band that will incite a riot or cause too many kids to go crazy. The city has an interest in promoting local bands, which is a logical thing to do and I say go for it.

Secondly, the budget for this concert is not much more than $50,000. Be realistic on the bands you would want to come. RHCP is completely out of the question IMO. A band like that would not only require a larger salary, but would probably attract a ridiculous amount of people that the city does not want to "babysit".

Finally, quit ripping on other peoples music tastes. It was fine at first but after a while it is quite irritating.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If we had Narcotic Self play memorial would you like that D'Jaun?
15-17, 26, 32
praymojo420
Home Owners Association

Post by praymojo420 »

Oh, and Bright Eyes is more popular than REOSpeedwagon (when was the last time REOSpeedwagon had two albums in the top ten at the same time? Oh...never)
Oh man. I'm trying to contain myself from yelling at you about modern music.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

$50,000 from US Cellular is only part of the money. Not all of it. There are other corporate sponsors.

The problem I see with going with a local band is that they aren't worth $50,000+. Bright Eyes crowd wasn't nearly as big as 311. Bright Eyes isn't as popular. I think more people could have gone to the concert (despite the rain) but they didn't. That shows me not as many people like them as some would think. So if I'm a sponsor why on earth would I want to go down to the next level of local bands when the attendance is on a downslide? I want to get as much bang for my buck as I can and book someone who will pack them in. Cursive isn't going to do that.
DTO
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Swift wrote:Oh, and Bright Eyes is more popular than REOSpeedwagon (when was the last time REOSpeedwagon had two albums in the top ten at the same time? Oh...never)
While the rest of your points are good, in REO's defense, they did have 3 straight Top 10 albums, and have sold quite a few million more albums, so I don't think they are any less popular than Bright Eyes.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Hey facts fact. Not much to yell about that.
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Cursive is not what I would call a tier one band. Not because of their music but because they just aren't that famous....yet. For that reason they would not be considered for the headliner slot. I say bring in one big local headliner if you can find one. They haven't had Matthew Sweet yet...hmmmm Then bring in someone from Tier 2 like Cursive perhaps and then some from days of old like the Beef Curtans, and then maybe a few local up and coming bands. I would suggest that they bring in a mix of bands. R&B, Rock, Rap, Country, Jazz, Indie....etc...The hope could be that someday one of these local bands might make it big someday and become a Tier 2 or even a Tier 1 band. Then that band becomes the headliner etc.....

Swift good points!!
Locke
Home Owners Association

Post by Locke »

Why would anyone sponsor free event when the attendance went from 60,000 to 15,000?
Well, in Bright Eyes' defense it would have been 20,000 but 5000 indie kids killed themselves after listening to his music. Oh the tragedy of being upper middle class! THE TRAGEDY! :lol:

Just kidding, I am a BE fan. As I understand it though, his brief foray into the top 10 billboard was the result of selling only about 50k albums. A good accomplishment, to be sure, but nothing like REOSpeedwagon's multiplatinum sales...20 years ago.

I think the concert should get all the Omaha musicians together for a jam - Bright Eyes, the Faint, 311, Paul Williams, and Chip Davis all doing Stairway to Heaven and There is No Place Like Nebraska. ROCK.
:shock:
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

According to the OWH, they're looking for suggestions for "youth oriented" acts.

That would preclude any of the acts that are rounded up for concert around 7/4 every year unless we're referring to the youth of 25 years ago.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Locke wrote:
Why would anyone sponsor free event when the attendance went from 60,000 to 15,000?
Well, in Bright Eyes' defense it would have been 20,000 but 5000 indie kids killed themselves after listening to his music. Oh the tragedy of being upper middle class! THE TRAGEDY! :lol:

Just kidding, I am a BE fan. As I understand it though, his brief foray into the top 10 billboard was the result of selling only about 50k albums. A good accomplishment, to be sure, but nothing like REOSpeedwagon's multiplatinum sales...20 years ago.

I think the concert should get all the Omaha musicians together for a jam - Bright Eyes, the Faint, 311, Paul Williams, and Chip Davis all doing Stairway to Heaven and There is No Place Like Nebraska. ROCK.
:shock:
Well your numbers are wrong:
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Brainy 'geek rock' is posting smart sales numbers

Monday, September 12th, 2005

The dreamily poetic "band" Bright Eyes (essentially an alias for the singer-songwriter Conor Oberst) has more than doubled its sales of late. Bright Eyes' album from 2002 moved 242,000 units; a simultaneous release of two CDs last January has so far pushed more than 500,000 copies combined.
And I'd still argue that Bright Eyes is more popular, or at least more influential. When have you ever heard anyone say "This band sounds just like REO Speedwagon" ?
praymojo420
Home Owners Association

Post by praymojo420 »

When have you ever heard anyone say "This band sounds just like REO Speedwagon" ?
Not to open a can of worms or anything, but isn't that a good thing?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Not to... but isn't that all relative?
15-17, 26, 32
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

Let me tell you some things I've noticed from the OMaha scene as an outsider:

No one supports local music, Conor sure may be KNOWN from omaha, but is he a local celebrity? hardly, I've heard stories where he used to be carded at bars, no one knew who he was!

Secondly, don't know anyone at the concert? Don't expect to talk to ANYBODY.

Conor was started this Indie thing, and he's not "emo" Locke, if you look at this lyrics, they are hardly emo, listen to Drunk Kid Catholic, you'll see what I mean.

For the longest time I remember, the scene generated around two places.

Sokol and the Ranch Bowl, with a few venues here and there.

This scene doesn't have enough local support for the amound of bands, realistically speaking you are lookinag at the most, a potential audience of about 20,000 for the type of music you are playing. Sure I can say all the good things about the scene, cross pollination at concerts...etc etc.

But in this scene you have two groups.

the Saddle Creekers, than everybody else. That's how I see it. this scene isn't going to explode nationally like it did with saddle creek again unless the musicians come together and support one another, stop playing at the same damn venue EVERY WEEK and the big stations in Omaha puts down that national stuff and dedicate an hour or two to Omaha only.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Let me say being a complete insider you come off as a total outsider mm. That a is a VERY! naive assessment. I'm not going to rip on what you said it is not productive. But I just want to make sure people know your incorrect.
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Modest to put it in perspective I remember R.E.M. saying that they were not popular back in ol' Athens, GA until they were popular everywhere else. I agree that we need to do a much better of job of promoting local musicians. Canada has it right in that a certain percentage of music on radio stations must be Canadian and apparently Bryan Adams doesn't count or at least it didn't when I read the article back about 20 years ago. I would like to see Nebraska implement something along those lines but I also would hate to see them make another law. Too many created each year as it is.

It really comes down to Omahan's supporting their neighbors. We don't shop at local stores and we don't listen to local bands becuase "they suck". Well at least it isn't just an Omaha thing. It is quite common across the country. Don't let other cities fool you, they are likely just as bad.