interactive art at joslyn

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

w8ing
Human Relations

interactive art at joslyn

Post by w8ing »

In the contemporary gallery at Joslyn today I noticed a piece called "Couch Potato" by the artist Nam June Paik.

You can see a picture of it here.

There was a fax machine with a matter of interesting faxes which I assumed were created by the artist and came with the exhibit which also had numerous monitors showing assorted images.

When I read the description of the piece, there was a number listed for the fax machine. You can fax to it! I talked to one of the security dudes there and asked if people seriously fax to it. He said go look at what's come out of the fax. It's stuff from individuals and schools around town. Some of it is artsy. Some of it was just faxes saying "I'm testing this to see if it really works." I asked him if they check what comes out to throw away stuff from obnoxious pranksters. He said they "qa" it most days. I wrote down the number. I'm still contemplating what to send.

The dude I talked to said they have some more interactive stuff coming up where you can send messages electronically. Very cool indeed.

So go check it out. Remember Joslyn is free on Saturday mornings. Yippee Skippee - and free on Jazz on the Green nights.
praymojo420
Home Owners Association

Post by praymojo420 »

That's very interesting. Though if more art like this gains more aclaim and interest, I could see them being shut down due to immaturity.