Parker's Smokehouse Replacing McKenna's!

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Parker's Smokehouse Replacing McKenna's!

Post by icejammer »

At least temporarily. But I'd say it's closer to permanent than temporary:
Lunchtime diners found McKenna's Blues, Booze and BBQ at 7425 Pacific St. closed Tuesday.

A sign on the window of the restaurant said the property had been seized by the Internal Revenue Service for non-payment of taxes.

An IRS spokeswoman confirmed a seizure of the business, which had been open since December 1991, for overdue taxes, but said she could not provide more information.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Unreal..

Proof postitive that the IRS will catch up to you sooner or later..

In the meantime, a fairly popular spot to hangout/eat/ listen to some music etc is out of service for Omaha..

A loss..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

A loss for sure, I'm pretty bummed out about the deal.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I only ate there once, but it was GREAT. I hope they sort this out and open back up.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

This is a travesty. Good BBQ at that place, and this in a town with average BBQ.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

That sucks - McKennas was awesome BBQ - I would even buy their sauce at the grocery store on occasion. Plus, they seemed like they were often busy, especially on weekend nights. Don't get it. Wonder if they owned that space, or if they were leasing?

D
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

They rented the space. Too bad, I liked the barbeque too, but...if you don't pay your taxes, eventually the IRS takes action.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

OmahaChef wrote:They rented the space. Too bad, I liked the barbeque too, but...if you don't pay your taxes, eventually the IRS takes action.
You sure they are...errr...were renting? The sign on their marquee says that the building is now for sale at irssales.gov or something like that.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Harpoon wrote:You sure they are...errr...were renting? The sign on their marquee says that the building is now for sale at irssales.gov or something like that.
I'm guessing somebody's just trying to be humorous with the sign - I can't imagine the IRS would move that quickly to take possession and sell to settle the debt.

--William Jennings Bryan
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

I am sure that McKenna's had many chances to make good on the taxes, and now the IRS is acting accordingly to recoup some of their money.
Hooloovoo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Hooloovoo »

icejammer wrote:
Harpoon wrote:You sure they are...errr...were renting? The sign on their marquee says that the building is now for sale at irssales.gov or something like that.
I'm guessing somebody's just trying to be humorous with the sign - I can't imagine the IRS would move that quickly to take possession and sell to settle the debt.
Actually, the auction date is set. September 13 at 10AM
http://www.treas.gov/auctions/irs/omne_turn_1666.htm

Sad day, indeed. Hopefully something good comes from this.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Huh - you only get 1.5 yrs of lease left until it's up for renewal. Wonder what that place will bring in for $$$?

It would be a great spot for an OCC if the building was up for grabs, but even then, I sure as heck couldn't afford it :shock:

D
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Actually, the auction date is set. September 13 at 10AM
http://www.treas.gov/auctions/irs/omne_turn_1666.htm

Sad day, indeed. Hopefully something good comes from this.[/quote]

Good find, I have been looking for that listing.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Buyer to keep McKenna's open

McKenna's Blues, Booze and BBQ, a popular restaurant and bar at 74th and Pacific Streets, was purchased Wednesday for $113,000 at an Internal Revenue Service auction.

Kyron O'Brien, 34, who owns O'Briens Lounge across the street at 1014 S. 74th Plaza, said he plans to keep the venue going as it had been run for about 15 years, with blues bands and good food.

"We're going to leave it McKenna's," he said.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46& ... nd=3312919
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And this is wonderful news..Good to see a quality local establishment remain open..

Here's to hoping McKenna's quality and popularity remain solid..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Three cheers for Mr. O'Brien! :D :D :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

$113,000 Talk about hitting the lottery! That is an AWSOME investment. He will need to spend a little money to let everyone know he re-opened it.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:$113,000 Talk about hitting the lottery! That is an AWSOME investment.
If I had known it would go for that, I might have been tempted to go to the auction. Of course, he says he was prepared to go to $130,000, so......

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Some people just know a bargain when they see one (and have the jack to invest).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

McKenna's doesn't skip a beat with new owners
Omaha World Herald wrote:It still looks and feels like McKenna's. When co-owner Kyron O'Brien bought McKenna's Blues, Booze and BBQ last August, he said his aim was to keep the restaurant the same. Mission accomplished. From the menu to the décor to a few of the cooks and servers, the restaurant seems the same.

The posters, memorabilia and photos, including a guitar signed by blues icon B.B. King, are still there. The barbecue sauce has the same zip. And the motto is still prominently displayed in glowing blue neon: "When Adam first met Eve . . . that's when the blues started."

...but two fans tell me the food they've tried since the ownership switch tastes the same. Part of the reason for that may be that O'Brien and Murphy hired Manuel Ayala, who cooked for McKenna's for 12 years at both the Pacific Street and the short-lived west Omaha locations. They've also hired several former servers, which helps give the restaurant a sense of continuity.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Billy McKenna has opened a new restaurant called "Billy Macs" somewhere far south on 120th I believe.
Mr. Cox
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mr. Cox »

It's on 108th, between L and Q, next to Valentino's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Has anyone been to McKenna's lately?

We went there Saturday night and it was not good.  I haven't been there for years, but it just didn't seem like it use to.  I had Brisket and there are two things that Brisket should never need.... Sauce or a Knife and mine needed both!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Has anyone been to McKenna's lately?

We went there Saturday night and it was not good.  I haven't been there for years, but it just didn't seem like it use to.  I had Brisket and there are two things that Brisket should never need.... Sauce or a Knife and mine needed both!

Brisket + Knife = return to kitchen in my book.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

We regularly receive coupons in the mail for buy one get one free. We used one for dinner about a year ago and the food was terrible. A couple of months ago we gave them a second chance and it was more of the same.  Both times the place was pretty much empty. I can't imagine they will be open a whole lot longer unless they do some sort of monster catering business.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I was there for lunch in December (I think), before the first of the year. It was good but not memorable.
Brad
City Council

Re: McKenna's Blues, Booze and BBQ reopens

Post by Brad »

Closing Again...
Blue House wrote:Last Dance at McKenna’s

Hey, after over 20 years of live music and Blues, McKenna’s will be shutting their doors. Blue House was one of the first to play there when they opened, and tonight, they will be one of their last.

We play from 8 pm-11 pm
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Re: McKenna's Blues, Booze and BBQ - CLOSING

Post by bbinks »

Is there a n announced date? I want to get back out there.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

That's too bad! That was a fun place.

What's with all of these BBQ places closing? Amarillo? Smoke Pit? McKenna's?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Day trip to KC for the good stuff isn't too far? I also think people are more aware of what good BBQ is now.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We went to Oklahoma Joes in KC, KS Saturday morning about 11:10 am, hoping to sneak in for a quick lunch. The line was already out the door, and there was a 45 minute wait. Note, I said 11:10 am.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bbinks wrote:Is there a n announced date? I want to get back out there.
September 27th
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I still haven't seen why they are closing down yet. Are they the same owners of the place next to the W Maple Blue that closed a few years back?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I still haven't seen why they are closing down yet. Are they the same owners of the place next to the W Maple Blue that closed a few years back?
These are the people that bought it out of government auction after those people didn't pay the taxes....

Its closing because it sucks!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

So glad that I never tried it after the tax sale.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow, I just looked at a few recent reviews. No good bye meal there for me.
LookingGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LookingGlass »

I went there in July. Place was pretty empty around dinnertime on a weekday. Food was nothing to write home about and I got the feeling that if the place was busier on a daily basis, it would be better. It wasn't bad, just your average meal. The server we had on the other hand, was probably one of the best servers I've had at a restaurant. Was kinda surprised by that given that it was a ghost town in there.
The place seems like it has a lot of potential.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Kind of a gimmick with the blues acts and music playing all the time. I like going places where my dinner companions and I can talk at a normal volume.

As I recall, their ribs were not available dry.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

bigredmed wrote: As I recall, their ribs were not available dry.
I don't remember if it was linked here, but there is a listicle that gives the top ten ways or whatever that you can tell that a barbecue joint is a fraud. In their opinion, one of the telltale signs is when a restaurant applies the sauce beforehand.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Parker's Smokehouse announced on their Facebook page within the last hour that they will be opening an Omaha location in the McKenna's Location on 75th & Pacific. No mention on an opening date yet but said construction would start soon
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!