Parker's Smokehouse Replacing McKenna's!

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: McKenna's Blues, Booze and BBQ - CLOSING

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Parker's Smokehouse announced on their Facebook page within the last hour that they will be opening an Omaha location in the McKenna's Location on 75th & Pacific.  No mention on an opening date yet but said construction would start soon

Heck Yeah!!! That's Awesome News!!!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I bet that new restaurant will do great here and if its really good its going to be packed!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

guitarguy wrote:I bet that new restaurant will do great here and if its really good its going to be packed!

IMO they are really good.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
guitarguy wrote:I bet that new restaurant will do great here and if its really good its going to be packed!

I would Agree. Totally worth the drive to Nebraska City or Ahsland for the current two locations.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I would Agree.  Totally worth the drive to Nebraska City or Ahsland for the current two locations.

You are forgetting about Lincoln, where they started.

Also, it is a different menu but they run the restaurant at Mahoney State Park too.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Parker's Smokehouse Replacing McKenna's!

Post by nebugeater »

If you are not familiar with them you may be able to learn a bit from their web site.

http://www.parkerssmokehouse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a little bit about Mahoney Grill

http://mahoneygrille.net/the-parkers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Love Parkers, great addition to the Omaha BBQ scene.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Right next to my office. Score.
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This is an awesome addition for BBQ, have never had a bad meal there.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Parkers in Omaha! Think of the gas I will save not having to drive to Greenwood!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Wonderful news! That is a great location, and should pack people in, especially at lunch.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Parker's Smokehouse announced on their Facebook page within the last hour that they will be opening an Omaha location in the McKenna's Location on 75th & Pacific.  No mention on an opening date yet but said construction would start soon
Look for the $125k renovations to begin shortly
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Parker's is shooting for a March 3rd (ish) opening. They are now officially hiring for the Pacific St location.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:Parker's is shooting for a March 3rd (ish) opening. They are now officially hiring for the Pacific St location.
Yippee!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Drove by just to see what's up:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Open date: March 16.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I saw a moving truck/van there on Friday, and it looks like there is a generic pickup truck (looks like a contractor one, with all the tools etc on the back and sides) right now as I type.

Getting close!
DanielBeattyDA
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DanielBeattyDA »

Very excited to give this a shot. I've heard really good things about Parker's.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The Parkers facebook page posted this last night

Getting close to our Omaha opening date of March 16th! We need cooks, servers, hosts, bartenders, etc. so come in and apply! We are there Monday through Friday 10-2 for now taking applications. Come see Emily and me at 74th and Pacific street (The old McKenna's building.) We look forward to meeting you!
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

Parker's was started by a former Famous Dave's manager and hence the menu is almost an exact replica of Famous Dave's (even down to the 'sauce tours' they give new customers.) I'll take the original over the knock off any day.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Choleric wrote:Parker's was started by a former Famous Dave's manager and hence the menu is almost an exact replica of Famous Dave's (even down to the 'sauce tours' they give new customers.) I'll take the original over the knock off any day.
That might be, but their food is better than Famous Daves, you don't have to drink out of a jelly jar because some fool thought it was homey, and you do have stuff that FD does not serve (like rib tips). They have better sauces and their featured sauces tend to be creative.

Atmosphere is better in that it is bigger and you feel less cramped.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bigredmed wrote:
Choleric wrote:Parker's was started by a former Famous Dave's manager and hence the menu is almost an exact replica of Famous Dave's (even down to the 'sauce tours' they give new customers.) I'll take the original over the knock off any day.
That might be, but their food is better than Famous Daves, you don't have to drink out of a jelly jar because some fool thought it was homey, and you do have stuff that FD does not serve (like rib tips).  They have better sauces and their featured sauces tend to be creative.

fD has rib tips.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Parker's sign is up on the building and lit up this morning.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

bigredmed wrote:
That might be, but their food is better than Famous Daves, you don't have to drink out of a jelly jar because some fool thought it was homey, and you do have stuff that FD does not serve (like rib tips).  They have better sauces and their featured sauces tend to be creative.

Agree to disagree I guess. I much prefer Famous Dave's BBQ, especially from the corporate store down in lincoln (omaha FDs are all franchise) that is held to a bit higher standards, to Parker's. Either way both are chain food and there is much better local BBQ around in Omaha. I just think it is sorta funny how blatantly they copied Famous Dave's (sauces, sauce tours, menu design, feasts and feasts for two, baskets they served the food in, etc...)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Opening date pushed back to March 26th.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

When I drove by last weekend the parking lot was packed. They must have opened already. I am looking forward to trying them soon.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nativeomahan wrote:When I drove by last weekend the parking lot was packed.  They must have opened already.  I am looking forward to trying them soon.
Silent opening or it could have been a friends and family to test the staff.

Greg
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Had this Friday night and absolutely loved it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Someone at work gave me their leftovers last week and it was awesome!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We have been twice now. Food has been good both times, but the service has been a little "New".

Me: "What beer's do you have on tap?"
Server: "Our Taps are broken"
Me: "What do you have in a bottle"
Server: "I don't know, you can walk up to the bar and look"
Bartender: "What can I get for you"
Me: "The server told me to come up to the bar and see what kind of beer you have"
Bartender: "On Tap we have 5 beers from Nebraska Brewing and Bla Bla Bla"
Me: "The Server told me the taps were broken"
Bartender: "They are working just fine"

That said, yes, they have 5 Nebraska Brewing Beers on Tap!

Second visit, the were full but told us we can eat in the bar area, but apparently nobody knew who was waiting on us and the manager ended up waiting on us.

Like I said, both only problems of a new restaurant, but the food was good. We will be back for sure.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We went back again on Saturday, the place was packed, 20 min wait for a table of 2.

Food was good again, Service is getting better. Our server actually knew the beers this time! Food took a little while to get out of the kitchen, but it was good.

They have added Hopluia to the Tap Beer Lineup.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Back again tonight. Had decent food, but the service is still really slow...

And the Sauce Tour needs to go away. That's stupid... Even when we say we have all been there many times, they still do it. And the "Sauce of the Month" have been the same since they opened...

That said, food was still decent. However it never really got busy in there tonight. Never even close to full and nobody at the bar.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I tried about a month ago. Once they figured out who which server had my table, the service was pretty good. Food was good. I thought they had a really nice patio area being it is shaded later afternoon/evening BUT there were limited seating for the amt of space they had.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Finally tried it this weekend. Not bad, but I wouldn't go out of the way for it. Very Famous Dave-ish.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I went and got a beef brisket sandwich and it was good. Might be the best in town. That being said, we've still got a ways to go to get to KC level. Would still love any of the KC BBQ places to open here.

Greg
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Greg S wrote:I went and got a beef brisket sandwich and it was good. Might be the best in town. That being said, we've still got a ways to go to get to KC level. Would still love any of the KC BBQ places to open here.

Greg
Agreed on that. I would still love to get an eomahaforums road trip to KC together, for some BBQ and touring. We ate last weekend at B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ, and it was excellent, both in terms of food and atmosphere. The leftovers made for one delicious dinner last night. Lol
We tried to get into Q39 in Westport for Friday evening dinner, but the wait was over an hour. And Joe's Kansas City likewise had a long line out the door at 5 pm on Saturday. They do love their BBQ down there!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nativeomahan wrote:
Greg S wrote:I went and got a beef brisket sandwich and it was good. Might be the best in town. That being said, we've still got a ways to go to get to KC level. Would still love any of the KC BBQ places to open here.

Greg
Agreed on that. I would still love to get an eomahaforums road trip to KC together, for some BBQ and touring. We ate last weekend at B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ, and it was excellent, both in terms of food and atmosphere. The leftovers made for one delicious dinner last night. Lol
We tried to get into Q39 in Westport for Friday evening dinner, but the wait was over an hour. And Joe's Kansas City likewise had a long line out the door at 5 pm on Saturday. They do love their BBQ down there!
I had friends eat at Q39 on Friday. They liked it. We ate at Smokehouse in Zona Rosa Friday night. I want to go check out the new Jack Stack in Lee's Summit (though it will be hard to top how cool the one in the freight house is).

Did you go see the Royals?

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omababe wrote:Finally tried it this weekend. Not bad, but I wouldn't go out of the way for it. Very Famous Dave-ish.
Their place in Ashland-Greenwood is still better. We have decided that the 72nd street location is still too loud and too "McKenna-ish" for anything but takeout.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Went to Parker's tonight for the first time mainly on the strong recommendations of people in this forum. This place can't be mentioned as being in the same league as Kansas City BBQ joints or even Famous Daves. Famous Daves is a few notches above Parkers! Guess you can tell that I was disappointed in this joint huh? Lets stop the name calling and get technical now. The ribs were almost and somewhat burnt! The ribs had no BBQ flavor or smoke flavor that jumped out at you. Their BBQ sauces were not that great tasting either. French fries are run of the mill frozen dull bland tasting crinkle cut potato wedges. The onion rings were not too bad and the only thing there even close to being worth eating! The clinker was I ordered a Pepsi and it tasted horrible. I told the waitress that there was something wrong with the Pepsi and she grunted as to let me know she heard me but didn't want to hear no more about it. So my Pepsi sits there not being touched through the meal and I ask for some ice water because I am dying of thirst. She brings me back the ice water and says that I was right about the Pepsi she went and had checked and found out if was running out of syrup. And that was it . She did not bring me a fresh Pepsi or offer to replace my fouled Pepsi. I don't think she was being mad or malicious shes just a ding bat. I always tell myself when I go out to eat not to sweat the drinks because its about the food. She was nice enough and didnt mean to rub me wrong so I went easy on her and gave her a 15% tip minus 1 dollar for jacking me around on my drink! P.S their apple cobbler ice cream desert was another bad road I went down you would be wise to avoid!