Big Fred's (117th and Pacific)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

w8ing
Human Relations

Big Fred's (117th and Pacific)

Post by w8ing »

A co-worker heard that Zio's might be buying out Big Fred's.  She was wondering if this rumor had any merit. She's hoping not. Anyone heard any rumblings about Big Fred's or is this hogwash?
Big Fred (from above)

Post by Big Fred (from above) »

NEVER!
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Just how did this get through my filters?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They payed off the door man.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Big Fred's buyout?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

w8ing wrote: Anyone heard any rumblings about Big Fred's or is this hogwash?
It's hogwash..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Andrew
Home Owners Association

Post by Andrew »

Not to bag on any well established restaurants but how does the pizza at Big Fred's get so much love?  The few times I have eaten it I thought it was horrible!  I take it you must either love it or hate it.  That cardboard with cheese is not for me.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Andrew wrote:Not to bag on any well established restaurants but how does the pizza at Big Fred's get so much love?  The few times I have eaten it I thought it was horrible!  I take it you must either love it or hate it.  That cardboard with cheese is not for me.
At the risk of Big Fred striking me from above..

Admittedly, I'm more of a La Casa's guy when it comes to local Omaha pizza..But like La Casa's, Big Fred's is an Omaha institution as well..

For me at Big Fred's, their double crust pizza is the way to go..Good onion rings too..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Sadly, pizza has become one of those commodized items.  How many cities have voted "Pizza Hut" as the best pizza in town?   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Big Fred's at least represents a unique type of pizza.  Thick crust fans may hate it, but I personally love it.  It is a little salty though.  Of the local pizza joints, I rate it tops, above Mama's, Sortinos and La Casa's.  I personally hate La Casa's as I can't stand Romano cheese on my pizza, but that's a personal preference.
Locke
Home Owners Association

Post by Locke »

Does anyone know who owns Big Fred's since Fred's passing? The Murante family?
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present." - Abraham Lincoln
AlmostinOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by AlmostinOmaha »

Andrew - I'm with you! YUCK!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I'm with you two. Not so much in the "yuck" column (I can eat pretty much anything) but in the "what's th big deal?" column.

My local favorites are Zios and Home Team Pizza. Home Team is good "bad" pizza, and they deliver until 3 a.m.!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Home Team Pizza? Never had it least even heard of it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yeah Home Team is 'good'. :) There are two locations in Midtown. One around 46th and Dodge and the other on Farnam by the Twin Towers.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I've never tried it. But Home Team Pizza has been around Omaha for about 12 years now..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I've never tried it. But Home Team Pizza has been around Omaha for about 12 years now..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Oh jeez, Home Team was terrible in Ames.   I haven't tried Omaha's version, but it really couldn't be worse.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

My Omaha Pizza List:

1. LaCasa's
2. Bene
3. Mama's

Distant 4th: Sortino's
5. Lanski's
Several others and then Big Freds (sorry Fred)

Last Place... Pizza Hut, no wait last place would be HY-Vee and a distant last place.

Midwest Pizza List:
1. Marco's: Dubuque, IA
2. LaCasa's
3. Bene
4. Pasquale's: Humboldt, IA (but you gotta have beer with it)
5. Minsky's: Kansas City

You don't have to agree with my list but you gotta respect my passion for this topic!  :yes:
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

To the best of my knowledge, Big Fred's is still owned by his wife (Rosy) and run by his son (Phil) and Rosy.  There may be some long time employees/managers doing to heavy lifting.  I did see For Lease signs near the building, but have no idea what bays that may have pertained to.  

Don't count on this joint going anywhere or changing without a major announcement.

-Big E
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Where is the love for Bernie's Pizza?  I think it is pretty decent and is a nice blue collar kind of place.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Oh man, I forgot about Bernie's. It is in my top five as well.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big Fred's Went before the city council to transfer the Liquor License to management Philip Bruning and is signed by president and CEO Rose Bruning.

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/departments/c ... erk/44.pdf

Doesn't look like its leaving the Big Fred's Family.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Home Team Pizza changed their name to Night Flight Pizza (WOW?). Though the sign on their building is still the same, if you call them, they say they are Night Flight.

They now have Pesto sauce, too, though I haven't tried it.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

El Fredo's up in sioux city has one awesome pizza
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I had heard that La Casa may be taking over Big Fred's because Fred's' widow cannot run it herself and that the children did not really want to do it anymore.  Regardless of who takes it over if in fact that is what will happen, the recipes need to be kept the same.

As far as decent pizza, I'd rank Frank's and Zio's at the top, and Big Fred's second, third would be Don Carmelo's and Sam/ Louie's.  Worst is La Casa and Bene.  I've been to both only once, and that is all it took to not earn my business.   It's not worth ranking the chain places since they have a great inconsistency among them.  If I want Godfather's, I'll drive past 2 of the local franchisee stores to go to the corporate store on 120th / Center
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess everyone has their own opinion.  Many in this city, including myself, put La Casa's at the top of their list of favorite pizza.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

La Casa is the official Pizza of eOmahaForums.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

I can't believe they said they can't stand La Casa's - blasphemy! They should be banned from this place.

D
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

djc311 wrote:I can't believe they said they can't stand La Casa's - blasphemy! They should be banned from this place.
We had that under consideration but the Magic 8-Ball said "Don't Count on it" so we will let that pass for now.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha is blessed with many great pizzerias.  I love Zio's and LaCasa.  Big Fred's is usually good, too.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bbinks wrote:I had heard that La Casa may be taking over Big Fred's because Fred's' widow cannot run it herself and that the children did not really want to do it anymore.  Regardless of who takes it over if in fact that is what will happen, the recipes need to be kept the same.
Like the original rumor that started this thread..I believe this one to be hogwash too..

..Ciao..LiO....peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Can't we just give this thread a rest?  It ain't gonna happen.  End of discussion.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

ModestMouse wrote:El Fredo's up in sioux city has one awesome pizza
Mouse,

Thanks for that post. Over the years I have been trying to remember this pizza place that used to exist on the northwest corner of 90th and Maple. With your post, the mystery is solved. It was El Fredo's. Where is El Fredo's located in Sioux City? I will have to get up there and see if it is the same outfit that used to be in Omaha. It was one of my favorites at the time. I think they had at least one other Omaha location as well. I don't remember when they closed here. They were here at least until 1980. That is the last time I remember eating there for sure.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guy4omaha wrote: I have been trying to remember this pizza place that used to exist on the northwest corner of 90th and Maple.  It was El Fredo's.
Was this the place that had a great beer selection. Beers from around the world?

Post by Guest »

Pizza Keg had the best pizza. They had one located on 50th and L. I remember they were the only place to server Dr Wells as their drink. I think it was part of a chain that closed in the early 90's. I really miss that place.

Post by Guest »

El Fredo Pizza
(712) 258-0691
523 W 19th St
Sioux City, IA 51103

El Fredo's does have a great pizza.  They originate out of Sioux City.  I sure wish they'd come back to Omaha.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Coyote wrote:
guy4omaha wrote: I have been trying to remember this pizza place that used to exist on the northwest corner of 90th and Maple.  It was El Fredo's.
Was this the place that had a great beer selection. Beers from around the world?
I don't know. Being a youngin' and all, I was not old enough to drink in the early (ok very early) 80s. The pizza was the only reason I went there. I stopped going because I had a lot of first dates (yeah read what you want into this fact) back then and the cheese was so gooey (good) that it was too difficult to eat neatly.

Thanks also for the Sioux City location and contact information. It will definitely be part of my summer plans. What a life I live when this will be one of the highlights of my summer.  :yes:
digitalones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by digitalones »

Locke wrote:Does anyone know who owns Big Fred's since Fred's passing? The Murante family?
His wife Rose and his brother Phil still own and operate the business.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

digitalones...I believe the ownership of Big Fred's had already been established. I worked there for 3 years during high school. If there is one thing I learned about that family is this, Big Fred's will never leave there hands!
LorieJ
New to the Neighborhood

What happened to Big Fred's?

Post by LorieJ »

I've never been a huge fan of Big Fred's (I'm not from Omaha, originally). But it sits on the outside of my neighborhood so I'm keenly aware of how packed it is pretty much ALL day and night. But for the last several months the parking lot has barely been 1/3 full and that's when they're busy. Does anyone know why the sudden HUGE drop off in their business? We got pizza from there the other night and the toppings were much less generous than usual. But that's hardly a good reason for business to have dropped off like it has. What gives?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Re: What happened to Big Fred's?

Post by NovakOmaha »

LorieJ wrote:I've never been a huge fan of Big Fred's (I'm not from Omaha, originally). But it sits on the outside of my neighborhood so I'm keenly aware of how packed it is pretty much ALL day and night. But for the last several months the parking lot has barely been 1/3 full and that's when they're busy. Does anyone know why the sudden HUGE drop off in their business? We got pizza from there the other night and the toppings were much less generous than usual. But that's hardly a good reason for business to have dropped off like it has. What gives?
Streets magic worked & they are busier than ever...just that everyone walked there.  The cars are just to show how people used to get there.  

Walkable, baby, walkable.