Nomad

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Nomad

Post by Coyote »

No Place Like Home
The Reader wrote:“Nomad started as conversation about a year-and-a-half ago between myself, my business partner, Clint! Runge, and Nick Hudson about the overall lack of upscale nightlife options in downtown Omaha,” said Hull, co-owner of Lincoln’s Archrival youth branding agency. “Being frequent travelers and in the business of design, beauty [and] fashion, we noted that Omaha was missing the kind of trendy, sophisticated, high-end nightlife destinations that we like to hang out in when visiting Chicago, New York, Paris and other style destinations around the world.

“We decided to develop the Nomad concept into a brand, one that celebrates international cultures and lifestyles through design, art, music, events, food and of course drinks,” Hull said. “The brand design is largely influenced by international currency, which we studied in great detail and drew inspiration from to create the Nomad logo and identity, as well as the artwork and details inside the lounge.”
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Hey, I went there last night.  It was pretty busy, and someone was doing a photo shoot or something.  I like the concept.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I was there last night, too. Apparently everyone read the Reader this week.

It's a nice concept, an upscale bar for the "creative class", but last night it was full of a bunch of d-bags looking for a garden in which to put their pecker.

I think it'll be a really fun place once the novelty of it wears off and there's less of West-O "like, oh my Ga-awd!" crowd.

Also, they so didn't keep the music low like they said they were going to. I couldn't hear half of the stuff the people in my group were saying.

There was a drink on their menu that was $1000 for a glass. That's not a typo, $1000 for a glass.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I actually didn't Read that article, but we going to somebody's apartment in the building and decided to grab one more drink before heading up.  That rooftop deck has an amazing view by the way.

And swift, you shouldn't judge people like "west O", don't think that anybody is better than anybody (they could've lived in the building or somewhere else downtown).  I think it's great that people from every where come down to have a great time.  It's even better DT is starting to build a reputation again of a fun place to be and have an excellent nightlife scene.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

As a born and raised West-O'er, I think I'm safe in identifying the "West-O mindset"  :P
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

This place is a great venue.  My observations:

1) The food was pretty damn good and a great value, in my opinion.
2) The service is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.  Painfully.  They absolutely have to figure that out.
3) Lack of product knowledge in a lot of the staff.  When your bartender doesn't know the menu, what Hendricks gin is, or the waitress doesn't know there is more than one kind of Patron in a joint like that, you need to step up your game.  Either be high end or don't be high end, but don't pretend to be high end.  It's pretty transparent.
4) We asked the waitess about the $1000 drink.  She said it comes with a precious gem (I've heard of this before - it's almost exclusively intended as a buzz generator), but that's all she could tell us.  Again, see #3.
5) It's likely going to be wildly successful and I'm glad it's there, but you'll never see me in there after about 8:30.

And yes, that OML roof deck is spectacular, unless some dillhole throws their cigarette in a trashcan and burns it down. :x  

-Big E
Stable genius.
Skersy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Skersy »

I have a friend at Magnum Realty that said the rest of the bays at Old Market Lofts are going to be filled by a Tapas Restaurant that was started in St. Louis and currently has multiple restaurants there in St. Louis and the other bay on the corner is going to be a wine bar. That area should really add to the Old Market.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

don't hold your breath on the winebar.  That place was announced with much fanfare back when I was living there about a year ago - "Freeze" was the name if I remember correctly.  They started advertising, selling memberships (some sort of a discount card), but construction never started.  I think they may have run into liquor license or funding issues, and nothing has happened since.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if those other bays filled out, but I think that wine bar concept never made it much past the concept stage - unless something has happened recently that I don't know about.  Even so, if it is going to happen, its still a ways off, as last time I was down at Nomad, that corner bay (where the wine bar was supposed to go) still hasn't had any construction modifications and is still a blank shell.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Ben wrote:unless something has happened recently that I don't know about
My rumor source on that one tells me that the original husband/wife team may not be the team that they once were.  Shame.  Hope everything that needs worked out gets worked out.  

-Big E
Stable genius.
Skersy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Skersy »

I heard the same rumor about Freeze, too. The new wine bar is not the Freeze project. The people just signed the lease to the corner bay and the place is going to be called Urban Wine Company. They are going to have a wine bar, small menu, retail wine, and two different party room. Like I said they just signed the lease so you'll probably see some type of movement around the place in about a couple of months. My friend at Magnum represented the people that just signed the lease. If I hear anything else or can get any renderings I'll let you know.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Freeze's big drawing point was being smoke free. Now that the ordinance has been passed I wonder it that has made them rethink what they're going to do with the place.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I think Freeze is a non-starter.  Maybe at another location, but it sounds like the lease has changed hands.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stopped in Nomad Friday night on the way home for a night cap.  They were busy, but you could walk up to the bar and order right away.  Asked the bartender about one of the beers that I had never had before and was told - quote - "Man, I don't know sh!t about beer."

That place has run out of second chances with me.  Best of luck, guys.

-Big E
Stable genius.
wineomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wineomaha »

Man Big E that is really sad to hear a bartender talk like that....Hopefully it doesn't discourage you from going down to other businesses in that area because I promise you once we are open (Urban Wine Company) that you'll never have that kind of experience at my place. I have a simple motto when it comes to customer service and that is Red Carpet treatment so when we open come on down and I'll have a cold one waiting for you.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I went into Nomad tonight with D'Shawn. I asked what beers they had on tap and found out there are none.

NO BEERS ON TAP?!?!?! That should be against the law in America period.  

Then looking at the bottled beer list, combined with the fact I had just witnessed D'Shawn pay 6 dollars for a shot of Bailey's, I quickly figured out that the place wasn't for me.

It's one thing to be a high-end place, but to try and be so high end that you drown when it starts raining because your nose is so far in the air is not my style.

Great look and atmosphere but it is safe to say I'll never go in there again.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I must have been wasted. Why didn't you stop me!?!?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:I must have been wasted. Why didn't you stop me!?!?
Stop you why?  
A.  Because you paid $6 for a shot that did not include red bull.
B.  Because you are a 21 year old male doing shots of Baileys.
C.  Because you were already drunk.
D.  All the above.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I choose..

E. Because it's crazy to pay $6 for a single shot of Bailey's..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Next time I'll just walk around with my store bought bottle. :) From what I remember the place itself seemed nice.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The way to "do" Nomad, is to keep an eye on their specials.  For instance, a couple weeks ago on a Friday, they had FREE, yes, FREE vodka drinks from 8 to 9 pm.  I got there at 8:45 and was able to get two vodka tonics in.  Then I went across the street to an art opening at Bemis Underground where they had free beer, so I had a few there.  Basically, I got a buzz going for FREE before about 10:30.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I will say this. It's a nice place but probably not the place to go when you've thrown back 4 pitchers of beer your self and a few other drinks on top of that. I would definantly go back again to hang out though.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Nomad is applying for an outdoor seating area/patio permit.  

I may have to adjust my over/unders  for the first assault on 11th and Jones.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So is that giving the place another chance?
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

No.  This would be me reassessing my bet on when the first shooting/stabbing/brawl happens outside the place.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Big E wrote:No.  This would be me reassessing my bet on when the first shooting/stabbing/brawl happens outside the place.

-Big E
My guess its that it might be a while before you see it degrade to something like that.  While #s may be down, Nomad still draws a pretty upscale crowd, and always has plenty of help (not necessarily behind the bar, but definitely bouncer types standing around).  

The places you've got to worry about for this sort of problem are the places that think they're hip, but really aren't, and draw the "poser crowd", that thinks they're the king of the world.  Those are the folks you've got to watch out for starting things.  Citrus, Nico, Naughty, that sort of place...  I've seen it happen myself out at Citrus once where 2 KFed looking dudes got into it over something stupid.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seems like Citrus has quite a reputation.

Citrus Lounge denied expansion by City Council
Omaha World Herald wrote:Neighbors complained about the noise and commotion at the Citrus Lounge, 14616 West Center Road, and Omaha Police Capt. Shari Palmer ran through a list of problems, after which the council voted 7-0 against the expansion. Approval of an expansion is usually routine. But, in this case, the council wants the Citrus to prove it can clean up its act before allowing it to grow.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Citrus Lounge is ridiculous.  

I went out there a couple months ago for the Omaha Buzz's one year anniversary because I have a friend who reports for them.  Otherwise, I never would have gone that far into the suburbs to drink.

Anyway, I found the place gawdy, uncomfortable, and obvious in its attempt at being "cool."

Plus, any "cool, hip club" that's in a strip mall isn't a cool, hip club.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RIP Citrus:

Liquor License Revoked At Citrus Lounge
KETV wrote:An embattled west Omaha bar had its liquor license revoked on Thursday. The owner of the Citrus Lounge, on a 146th Street and West Center Road, was accused of allowing her brother, who is a convicted felon, to operate the bar under her name.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I wondered where it changed from Nomad to Citrus :)  I think my fiance was out there for a friend of her's birthday a few weeks ago, and some dude had a bottle broken over his face.  Needless to say, i let her know i didn't feel comfortable with her being there :)  Anyways, what's the story on the outdoor patio at Nomad?  I wouldn't mind checkin' it out.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:I wondered where it changed from Nomad to Citrus
I hit the previous button and found this about 4 posts ago:
Ben wrote:My guess its that it might be a while before you see it degrade to something like that.  While #s may be down, Nomad still draws a pretty upscale crowd, and always has plenty of help (not necessarily behind the bar, but definitely bouncer types standing around).  

The places you've got to worry about for this sort of problem are the places that think they're hip, but really aren't, and draw the "poser crowd", that thinks they're the king of the world.  Those are the folks you've got to watch out for starting things.  Citrus, Nico, Naughty, that sort of place...  I've seen it happen myself out at Citrus once where 2 KFed looking dudes got into it over something stupid.
Last edited by Brad on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

You have that quote incorrectly attributed to me, btw.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes - that was Ben responding to a post of Big E's about the over/under to a shooting after they get an outdoor license.
Big E drinking out west is just wrong.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I fixed it.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:Big E drinking out west is just wrong.
Neither Big E nor West O is ready for that.

-Big E
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:
thenewguy wrote:I wondered where it changed from Nomad to Citrus
I hit the previous button and found this about 4 posts ago:
Ben wrote:My guess its that it might be a while before you see it degrade to something like that.  While #s may be down, Nomad still draws a pretty upscale crowd, and always has plenty of help (not necessarily behind the bar, but definitely bouncer types standing around).  

Sorry about that Brad, i forgot to mention that after reading the previous posts, i found where i had forgotten the change :)  I've been working on re-reading stuff before posting, ever since Streets helped me to realize (in the Aksarben thread) that an ounce of research can save 10 lbs of looking dumb in your posts....i guess that time i only had about a 1/2 ounce ;)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ultra lounges offer pricey cocktails, sophisticated fun
Omaha World Herald wrote:Inspired by the popularity of Miami's South Beach and Las Vegas VIP nightclubs, where private waiters and velvet ropes separate the A-list guests from the stargazers, local club owners are touting ultra lounges. Two lounges went to the upscale format about five years ago in downtown Omaha: Bar 415 and the 1507 Ultra Lounge. Over the last three years, similar lounges — some putting "ultra" in their names — have opened in west Omaha. An ultra lounge doesn't attract a beer-guzzling, dancing-on-the-table crowd. In fact, there usually is no dance floor. Professionals go there for pre-dinner cocktails or to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. Executives wine and dine clients.

Nomad Lounge co-owner Nick Hudson said ultra lounges show that Omaha's nightlife is maturing to meet the needs of a growing number of jet-setting, condo-living urbanites who want to feel the pulse of a city on the verge of trendy. Most ultra lounges offer private seating for VIPs: a room, a booth or a roped-off area. Nomad uses large, chocolate-brown curtains to form its private cabanas and to keep people away from Big E. Low, white-suede couches and tables are roped off for 1507's VIPs. The 20-seat wrap-around booth filled with bolster pillows at the Colosseum sits at the front of the lounge, away from other tables.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

:clap:

The inadvertent-censor is my second favorite part.

-Big E
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Nomad can still suck a fat one as far as I'm concerned.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Nomad can still suck a fat one as far as I'm concerned.
I heard from a good source, nomad is on its way out.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:
the1wags wrote:Nomad can still suck a fat one as far as I'm concerned.
I heard from a good source, nomad is on its way out.
There is no chance no way they have sold anywhere remotely near enough booze in that place to pay for the renovations.

-Big E
Stable genius.