Re: Thunderhead Brewing (former Urban Wine)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Urban Wine (and Sushi) Company

Post by Coyote »

Guess the OWH beat me on this one...

Nightlife notes: Urban Wine Company has new owner, soon will have new name
OWH wrote:The bar and restaurant will change its name to Bricks and Mortar Bar and Bistro.
Van deWalle said she is changing the name because many people thought that the business offered only wine, which is not the case. It also provides cocktails and food.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So, I went to Urban, after seeing Borgata was teeming, and had a draw at Upstream, but this place seems to have had its day. Beer week, several busses catering..., only one tap I would indulge in, yes it says wine, but, new ownership...

This corner could have made it, but it lacks just something... Changing its name to Bricks and Mordor to make a new start?... It could have been. But I have to ask... What if?... No more sushi but tapas? I saw a few good pizza/flatbreads...

Wasn't this the place to be when Shawn ran it?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Bricks and Mortar would be a an ok name for a construction company…and Yes, this place is finished no doubt. Oh, and Shawn is a thief that should be behind bars and largely contributed to the Urban demise.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thunderhead Brewing Co. to open a second taproom in Omaha

https://www.omaha.com/omahadines/plus/t ... fa5da.html
Blake Ursch / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Thunderhead Brewing Co. is planning to open a new taproom in the Old Market later this year.

The new taproom will be located in the former Bricks and Mortar Bar & Bistro, 1037 Jones St. Beau Starkel, managing partner of the project, said he hopes to open within the next four to six months.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is a fantastic building, with a handsome urban feel to it. Thunderhead brews really good beer. I hope they also have a full wine selection, though.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

This is a great spot with a huge patio area. It is just a little out of the way, so I hope they make some sort of effort to get people down there. Some sort of live music, even just one person, would be nice.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (496.6 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Grand Opening May 10

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (81.51 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

They also posted this on their FB page, so it sounds like you can stop in now

Thunderhead Brewing Downtown Omaha
April 25 at 1:24 PM ·
We’ve got seating and cold beer so feel free to stop on in while we finish up the details over the next few weeks..
Grand Opening: May 10th
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Thunderhead is affiliated with the chickencoop sports bar and grill in Kearney, Grand Island and in Des Moines....I realllllllly wish they would expand the menu to the omaha taprooms. Best wings I've ever had, the jalapeno garlic and the Jamaican jerk are to die for
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Man, I hope Thunderhead can have a long, successful run in this location.. I remember how much I enjoyed Urban Wine in the late 2000’s when it was in its heyday.. As nativeomahan stated earlier in this thread, the interior has a nice, expansive urban feel to it..

Can’t wait to check it out :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I am disappointed I don't see more of a bar. If I am going to sit and drink beer, it is at the bar. Not a table.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cafereef wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:20 pm Thunderhead is affiliated with the chickencoop sports bar and grill in Kearney, Grand Island and in Des Moines....I realllllllly wish they would expand the menu to the omaha taprooms. Best wings I've ever had, the jalapeno garlic and the Jamaican jerk are to die for
Agreed on that, I love Chickencoop in Des Moines. Didn't know Thunderhead was affiliated, so that's pretty cool.
No posts exist for this topic
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

cafereef wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:20 pm Thunderhead is affiliated with the chickencoop sports bar and grill in Kearney, Grand Island and in Des Moines....I realllllllly wish they would expand the menu to the omaha taprooms. Best wings I've ever had, the jalapeno garlic and the Jamaican jerk are to die for
Couple of things here...
What you're asking for a is a restaurant. That's a completely different animal which has completely different requirements. It also requires much more money.
I actually don't know what the legal requirements are for taprooms in Nebraska. Do they allow restaurants? Is that considered a brew-pub? (EDIT: No, not a brewpub)
The Thunderhead taprooms in Omaha are somewhat franchise like. I haven't seen the actual paperwork so I can't say exactly how the taproom ownership is structured, but I know they were looking for "owner/operators" when they came to Omaha initially. I wasn't approached for the second Omaha location, so can't comment on that one.
If Thunderhead hasn't hit the limit, I'm sure they would open a new taproom if you came up with the money. (EDIT: Looks like they already have cities planned for their five, but they probably still need investors)

Lastly, just tell Beau to do it, see what he says :D
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

On the food they posted this --- but no explanation on the 'kitchens in omaha are tough'

Thunderhead Brewing Taproom-Omaha Our kearney food rocks, but kitchens in omaha are tough. Some day an Amazon drone can deliver one from Kearney
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett