Pepperjax Grill - Omaha/CB Metro Area

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Pepperjax Grill - Omaha/CB Metro Area

Post by Brad »

Pepperjax Grill  (72nd and NW Radial)

One of my favorite places to eat is building yet another store in Omaha.  Pepperjax Grill is building on the northeast corner of 72nd and NW Radial, just south of Ames, in the old Albertson's Gas Station.

Philly Sandwiches Sandwiches, Wraps, and Rice Bowls. (get the Philly!!!)

Current locations include:
74th and Pacific
132nd and Dodge
120th and Blondo
172nd and Center
Last edited by Brad on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Pepperjax Grill - Omaha/CB Metro Area

Post by nebugeater »

You forgot about the one at about 168th & Center.  IN the strip off to the side of Bakers near the DQ.

I have never really found that I care that much for the place.  They always seem busy so they have a following but it just doesn't do it for me.  Kind of surprising too since I  LOVE a good Philly Steak Sandwich.  Maybe I should try it again since it has been a while since I have been there.

By the way, is this a local only place or a chain?  I guess I have never though about it and looked and I assumed they were local only but you said "another Omaha Locations" so I reading incorrectly into that, that it is a chain?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It is somewhat local,  I heard it was started by the people that use to have the Chartreuse Caboose back in the late 80's.

Here are all of the locations:
NEBRASKA
Omaha • 2429 South 132nd St. • Tel 402-758-9222 map

Omaha • 2579 South 171st Court • Tel 402-884-0430 map

Omaha • 2085 North 120th St. • Tel 402-964-2760 map

Omaha • 1040 South 74th Plaza • Tel 402-884-6003 map

KANSAS

Lawrence • 947 New Hampshire • Tel 785-856-4529 map

Overland Park • 13386 Metcalf Ave. • Tel 913-402-9527 map

Our Story
Aside from a handful of well established sandwich shops in the great state of Pennsylvania, Gary Rohwer, of Omaha, Nebraska, is arguably one of the foremost experts on the world famous Philly Steak Sandwich. Why? Well, the secret is in the steak. Great steak, perfectly cut, perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked, every time. Match that with the freshest vegetables, cheeses and condiments; stuff it into a fresh roll, tortilla or on top of fresh greens or rice, and you’ve got something special. Gary introduced the Philly to the Midwest back in the early 1980's, and has since perfected and patented the absolute best steak and chicken Philly for these East Coast legends. He then brought that same process to the way contemporary “quick-casual” cuisine is developing today, and PepperJax was born. And, in order to ensure your food is just right, PepperJax has eliminated the middleman – you order directly from the grill cook, and he cooks and assembles your food right in front of you. It doesn’t get any fresher than that. Load it up any way you want; in a wrap, on a roll, over fresh greens or in a bowl. We hand it to you, you can add more stuff with any of our signature sauces, grab your drink and sit down to enjoy a meal worthy of the legend.

http://www.pepperjaxgrill.com
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote: Chartreuse Caboose back in the late 80's.

Here are all of the locations:
NEBRASKA

Help me with this.  This is familiar by name only and It shouldn't be I know.  I was out of state during the late 80's and 90's.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I have eaten at the Pepperjax Grill on 74th and Pacific two or three times, and really like the food, especially for the price.  Great fries!  It's a fairly simple menu, but done well.

And, at least at this one location there are dozens of old photos of Omaha lining the wall.  One or two are mislabeled, but they are fascinating to look at.  With one major exception.

In walking around one night after dining to look at all of the photos, I noted with shock and horror that one was an old scene of the Douglas County Courthouse during a lynching!   I mean, talk about being tone deaf.  Who in heck would find such a photo appetizing???  I should have complained to the management, but no one working that night looked older than 18.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't remember much about the Chartruse Caboose, except that it was on N90th Street.

Update Photos

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I do like pepperjax, but my favorite is still lanskys.  I did like charteus caboose or whatever.  Also, in the 70s there was a place in lincoln that was started by the davincis people.  cant remember the name right now...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

NovakOmaha wrote:I do like pepperjax, but my favorite is still lanskys.  I did like charteus caboose or whatever.  Also, in the 70s there was a place in lincoln that was started by the davincis people.  cant remember the name right now...
Was the place in Lincoln you are talking about right South of city campus before you really got into downtown?  May about where the Preforming arts center is at now?  In the early 80's there was a sandwich shop there that I was at at noon a lot and Some people I was with recently were trying to remember the name of the place.  Great Philly and Great Meatball sub.

By the way, mt vote goes to  Lanskys too.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Pontillos!
Brad
City Council

Council Bluffs PepperJax Grill

Post by Brad »

Council Bluffs PepperJax Grill

When Asked about a Council Bluffs Location
PepperJax Facebook Page wrote:PepperJax Grill - We are definintely open to it(Council Bluffs). There has been some talks about an area around Metro Crossing.
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

any new news about pepperjax grill.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Today is Pepperjax 15th Anniversary...

That means 4.99 Phillies all day with this coupon:
http://www.pepperjaxgrill.com/rollback/
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Today is Pepperjax 15th Anniversary...

That means 4.99 Phillies all day with this coupon:
http://www.pepperjaxgrill.com/rollback/
Hopefully it won't be quite as busy as the BOGO days they do.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

PepperJax hopes to attract 'the highest caliber of talent' after HQ move from Omaha to Denver
Founder and former owner Gary Rohwer sold the chain about a 
year ago to TA Associates, a private-equity firm based in Boston. TA put in place a new management team and packed up for Denver.

Denver wasn’t the first and only choice for the headquarters, Casey said. Dallas, Chicago and Nashville, Tennessee also were considered. Ultimately, Denver was chosen because it’s home to other fast-casual brands, including Chipotle, Smashburger and Noodles & Co.
Guess I didn't realize that Pepperjax was sold. That sucks to lose another company HQ'd in Omaha. Thankfully with this one, it doesn't come with the loss of many jobs.

Here is a rendering of their new look for their stores:

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

They say they moved to Denver in order to attract top talent and be where fast casual restaurant resources are rich, which, okay, but it sounds like what happened is this investment firm hired a consultant who really just phoned it in. The consultant probably used a lot of buzzwords in their recommendation but essentially just said "copy Chipotle. Chipotle is successful so clearly just do everything they do and you'll also be successful. Chipotle is in Denver; move to Denver. Chipotle serves alcohol; start serving alcohol. Chipotle has determined their customers want healthier foods, so serve healthier foods." Their shortlist of cities to relocate to is just a list of cheap cities a lot of people are moving to (Nashville?!).

Not that they'll be unsuccessful. I'm sure this'll earn them solid money, but by copying rather than innovating, they're not going to have the brand recognition that Chipotle has.
Entering a new market like Denver can especially be challenging for an unknown chain, she said. Most of PepperJax’s restaurants are in smaller markets like Omaha or Kansas City.
:roll: That's good news for Kansas City then. They just need about 3/4 of an Omaha to go from being a small market to a big market. I'm excited for the benefits Omaha will reap from its adjacency.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Not that they'll be unsuccessful. I'm sure this'll earn them solid money

I'm not sure that they will be making a bunch of money at all! I am pretty sure the guy that sold them Pepperjax made a pretty profit!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Not that they'll be unsuccessful. I'm sure this'll earn them solid money

I'm not sure that they will be making a bunch of money at all! I am pretty sure the guy that sold them Pepperjax made a pretty profit!
Yep. The salt content was huge, and the cooks would make food without it, but you had to be on them constantly. Sad to see the HQ go, but this is not about "getting better talent", its about the Boston based investment group having an excuse to go to Vail or Breckenridge and write it off as business travel to review the books at the HQ.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I think someone just wanted to live in Denver. The headline is incredibly insulting to Omaha. I don't know how other businesses survive here (including those Fortune 500 headquartered in Omaha). We obviously are just a bunch of dumb hicks that can't run Pepperjax, that crazy impressive fast casual restaurant. ::sarcasm:: The stupid comment about the airport is even more ridiculous. I'm guessing someone likes to travel somewhere that has a direct flight from Denver.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

lisanstan wrote:I think someone just wanted to live in Denver. The headline is incredibly insulting to Omaha. I don't know how other businesses survive here (including those Fortune 500 headquartered in Omaha). We obviously are just a bunch of dumb hicks that can't run Pepperjax, that crazy impressive fast casual restaurant. ::sarcasm:: The stupid comment about the airport is even more ridiculous. I'm guessing someone likes to travel somewhere that has a direct flight from Denver.
I completely agree with this.. And agree with everyone else’s comments on the HQ move as well..

First of all, I live very close to a Pepperjax.. I have, in fact, for a number of years..and I can count on 3 fingers how many times I’ve eaten at the place. Translation: Pepperjax Grill is NOT all that. Mediocre philly’s at best imo..

Now on to the tone of the W-H piece itself.. I think it was intentionally written in a way to insult and minimize Omaha; while at the same time, build up a larger metro like Denver to be some sort of “Heavenly” location for fast casual food chain headquarters. It’s a load of BS and most all of us who post here are “in the know” and realize this to be true. The tone of the piece has been a long standing, tried and true mainstay of the W-H to minimize Omaha compared to those much more wonderful, talented and larger metros to both live in and locate a HQ in (sarcasm by me..and more BS by the W-H)..

The likely reason for the HQ relocation is for what someone here already mentioned- An excuse for semi annual corporate ski trips to Colorado.. In the end. My reaction to this move- :roll: ..

Good riddance Pepperjax...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Maybe I don't have as high a standard, but I rather like Pepperjax. Not for all the time, but good on occasion. They also have things other than Phillys.

It should be pointedly out that the current president of Pepperjax, Tim Casey, was the head of Mrs Fields Famous Brands from 2010 to 2013, and he moved them to Denver from Provo, Utah. His logic for that move was the same as for moving Pepperjax.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news ... icked.html

If he wanted to leave Provo, it doesn't sound like he is making decisions based on ski areas.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Pepperjax Grill - Omaha/CB Metro Are

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

That’s a fair point.. And I suppose if I was going to defend their decision to relocate their corporate HQ’s, I’d use that reasoning too..

But in my opinion, the “reasoning” for their move to the celestial location of Denver, Colorado (as noted in the W-H piece) is complete and utter BS. No one can convince me that Pepperjax had to relocate HQ’s to Colorado because they needed a deep resource for “talent” that, somehow, Omaha lacks.. That is total nonsense. Adding to the comedy, the airport destination component and you have the maraschino cherry on top of the sh!t sandwich Casey and Co. are attempting to feed the public.. What, is Pepperjax Grill going to open locations in Europe too? LOL..

And as it relates to feeding the public- I’ve had better Philly cheesesteak and other related items offered on the Pepperjax menu at multiple sports bars in the Omaha area. Taste is personal preference obviously.. But I’ve always found Pepperjax offerings to be mediocre at best. To each their own..

In the end, I’ll still say- Good riddance to Pepperjax corporate HQ’s.. Too bad they won’t take their “fast casual” Omaha metro Grill restaurants with them to the “Nirvana of talent” state of Colorado...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just me or did they already cut portion sizes?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Just me or did they already cut portion sizes?
I ate at the one on 27th in Lincoln late last week for the first time in a long time. I thought the same thing but never mentioned it.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Just me or did they already cut portion sizes?
I ate at the one on 27th in Lincoln late last week for the first time in a long time. I thought the same thing but never mentioned it.
I got mine to-go, and even the to-go container was bout 30% smaller.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://images2.loopnet.com/d2/2I9rhOVlM ... cument.pdf

Selling the real estate on 7 locations. Looks like they are getting out of owning their space.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Interesting. Seems like the quick way to raise cash anymore. Buy a business that owns its own property and immediately sell all the property.

Speaking of Pepperjax, we went there about 7pm on Friday... If I was still in restaurant management and I was managing that store and my boss came in, here are all the things he or she would have complained about:

1. The sign on the front of the building was not on.
2. The TV's inside were not on.
3. The staff was in their own world and not working very fast and not talking with the guests.
4. They were burning all the Philly buns in the toaster. I swear they were burning them because they are different, but they told me they are the same bun as always... I am highly suspicious of this. Either way the trash was overflowing with burnt buns.
5. The condiment bar looked like it hadn't been cleaned all day
6. The soda machine looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a week
7. There were no lids on the the ice tea machine containers, the tea was completely open to the elements.
8. Nobody cleaned a table or swept the nasty floor while we sat there and ate.
9. Several tables were damaged and uncomfortable to sit at, they scratched your arms.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Interesting. Seems like the quick way to raise cash anymore. Buy a business that owns its own property and immediately sell all the property.

Speaking of Pepperjax, we went there about 7pm on Friday... If I was still in restaurant management and I was managing that store and my boss came in, here are all the things he or she would have complained about:

1. The sign on the front of the building was not on.
2. The TV's inside were not on.
3. The staff was in their own world and not working very fast and not talking with the guests.
4. They were burning all the Philly buns in the toaster. I swear they were burning them because they are different, but they told me they are the same bun as always... I am highly suspicious of this. Either way the trash was overflowing with burnt buns.
5. The condiment bar looked like it hadn't been cleaned all day
6. The soda machine looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a week
7. There were no lids on the the ice tea machine containers, the tea was completely open to the elements.
8. Nobody cleaned a table or swept the nasty floor while we sat there and ate.
9. Several tables were damaged and uncomfortable to sit at, they scratched your arms.
In my own sarcastic way, this does not surprise me at all..

They were just mediocre before, IMO.. But they move the corporate HQ out of Omaha, and they turn to sh!t..

Congrats Pepperjax :koko: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

They closed 3 KC locations. Ok, it happens. Leases are up, sales aren't good, etc. They promised a ton of Denver locations years ago and still nothing west of Kearney. In reading the above post with the 9 complaints I am curious...what type of quality did they find in Denver for the corporate office? "Dude! The pot's legal & the skiing is amazing!" Another bunch of private equity snot noses playing in the sandbox again...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We have always had good experiences at the location at 74th and Pacific. We eat there maybe 4-5 times a year.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Pepperjax Grill ceased to get any more of my business after they bailed on Omaha, gave BS reasoning to do so, and moved their corporate HQ’s to Colorado a couple years back..

Frankly, it’s no big loss for me; because I always found their food to be mediocre anyway...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Pepperjax used to be a regular stop for me. I haven't been to one in at least 10 months. The last few times I went, no matter the location, the food was nowhere near what it had been, the service was off and the places were filthy. Now how they used to be. The last straw was a visit to the Nebraska Crossing location and the food handling and fith was so over the top that we walked out while in line and seeing what was happening to the food prep for those in front of us.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:35 am Pepperjax used to be a regular stop for me. I haven't been to one in at least 10 months. The last few times I went, no matter the location, the food was nowhere near what it had been, the service was off and the places were filthy. Now how they used to be. The last straw was a visit to the Nebraska Crossing location and the food handling and fith was so over the top that we walked out while in line and seeing what was happening to the food prep for those in front of us.
Was at the one at 120th and Blondo last month. Food was better than last time I was there. The place was clean and service was fine.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm
nebugeater wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:35 am Pepperjax used to be a regular stop for me. I haven't been to one in at least 10 months. The last few times I went, no matter the location, the food was nowhere near what it had been, the service was off and the places were filthy. Now how they used to be. The last straw was a visit to the Nebraska Crossing location and the food handling and fith was so over the top that we walked out while in line and seeing what was happening to the food prep for those in front of us.
Was at the one at 120th and Blondo last month. Food was better than last time I was there. The place was clean and service was fine.
Maybe I should give them another shot. If I do it will be with a short leash though.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

A friend had business in Omaha & ate at Pepperjax & said it was so so. He asked me if I remembered it from when I lived there. I remember it as pretty good but hey, it's been since probably 2007 since I ate there.

Anyway, I took a look at their web site & they have 33 locations listed. Not exactly growing much. That Denver move really worked out well. The Denver talent....well, you get the idea.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:35 am The last straw was a visit to the Nebraska Crossing location and the food handling and fith was so over the top that we walked out while in line and seeing what was happening to the food prep for those in front of us.
Nebraska Crossing has been host to mostly horrible restaurants. If a restaurant has 30 locations and one of them sucks horribly it will be their Nebraska Crossing location. I don't really understand why that is, but every Nebraska Crossing restaurant is the worst version of itself.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:58 pm
nebugeater wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:35 am The last straw was a visit to the Nebraska Crossing location and the food handling and fith was so over the top that we walked out while in line and seeing what was happening to the food prep for those in front of us.
Nebraska Crossing has been host to mostly horrible restaurants. If a restaurant has 30 locations and one of them sucks horribly it will be their Nebraska Crossing location. I don't really understand why that is, but every Nebraska Crossing restaurant is the worst version of itself.
Hard to get good help when people have to drive that far to get to a minimum wage job. Fast food shifts can be like 3 hours long, nobody's driving 30 miles round trip to do that, they'll be spending their entire check on transportation

As Gretna grows things will hopefully improve from that standpoint
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 pm A friend had business in Omaha & ate at Pepperjax & said it was so so. He asked me if I remembered it from when I lived there. I remember it as pretty good but hey, it's been since probably 2007 since I ate there.

Anyway, I took a look at their web site & they have 33 locations listed. Not exactly growing much. That Denver move really worked out well. The Denver talent....well, you get the idea.
As it relates to their “reasoning” for bailing on Omaha- BS is as BS does..

To me, they were never that good in the first place. I can get a waaay better Cheesesteak at numerous sports bars in the metro..

I wish nothing but mediocrity for “Mile High” Pepperjax...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I haven't eaten there for probably slightly over 5 years or so, but I liked them. I ate there pretty often up until the last time, and I didn't quit for any particular reason of their own. Probably mostly because I try really hard to avoid sodium as much as I can, if I had to guess. Kinda quit eating out much in general because of that. From what I remember, they were really good. I've never had a legit Philly, just want to say I've had worse Phillies than PepperJax. On the other hand, someone told me they stopped going there because the person cooking was dripping sweat onto the cook-top, which is totally believable. I don't know though.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ProgKingHughesker wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:31 pm
Hard to get good help when people have to drive that far to get to a minimum wage job. Fast food shifts can be like 3 hours long, nobody's driving 30 miles round trip to do that, they'll be spending their entire check on transportation

As Gretna grows things will hopefully improve from that standpoint
Not many are driving that distance. There are many teens in the area working there and they are NOT the problem.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

You are off on that assessment. PJ is the outlier for bad at the mall, but IMO they have fallen off everwhere. The others currently there are fine for what they are.

Currently, there are these from memory.

Pieocracy
Rita's
Voodoo Taco -- ( don't get this place at all but the mall locations is no worse than the others.)
Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen. (They had a rough start but hold their own now.)