Stokes - Old Market (12th and Howard) - CLOSED

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stokes - Old Market (12th and Howard) - CLOSED

Post by Guest »

Stokes - Old Market (12th and Howard)

Lease is signed for a new Stokes at the corner of 12th & Howard (across the street from Jobbers Canyon).  Floor plan I have seen will include outdoor seating.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That would be Great.  They have great Fish Tacos.

Post by Guest »

Are they moving from Miracle Hills or just opening a new location?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Good to know..And rumor news from a reliable 'guest'..

:)  ..
Go Cowboys!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Re: New Restaurant in Old Market (Stokes)

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Anonymous wrote:Lease is signed for a new Stokes at the corner of 11th & Howard (across the street from Jobbers Canyon).
This would be 12th and Howard.

I like that they'll have outdoor seating, and would welcome them in the Old Market.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

Post by Guest »

I hope my info was useful - I have lurked here before but never posted.  The Miracle Hills location is not closing - this will be a new Stokes.

Sorry about saying 11th & Howard - I should have said 12th & Howard.
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

That is Awesome.  I love to see the the unique locally owned restaurants doing well.

Post by Guest »

Also nice to see a local business move into the Market, especially in a building that needs some work.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for that info Guest! That will be a great addition to the OM

Stokes Lunch Menu

Stokes Dinner Menu
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A great local restaurant, and a great addition to the Old Market!  This makes my day.  I hope it pans out.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

This was announced in the World Herald this morning as well.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stokes looks east for its second site
Omaha World Herald wrote:Restaurants Inc. partner and Stokes executive chef John Ursick said the new Stokes has secured a lease at 1122 Howard St., now home to Crawdad's Handmade Furniture. There's no firm date, but Ursick said he's aiming for an August opening.
Thanks chef - and so this is no longer a rumor.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

while I am happy to see Stokes move in I am also sad to see Crawdads leave. Does anyone know? Is Crawdads closing shop or are they moving to a new location?
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

guy4omaha wrote:while I am happy to see Stokes move in I am also sad to see Crawdads leave. Does anyone know? Is Crawdads closing shop or are they moving to a new location?
really?  I always thought Crawdads looked like a dive and was bringing the area down.  I dont think I have ever seen so much random |expletive| in one store.

edit* - the censor on here really needs to be relaxed, in all seriousness c.r.a.p. is not a dirty word
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Well admittedly I haven't stopped in Crawdads for awhile so maybe it got rundown. But I always liked the "interesting" furniture pieces they had in there. Back in the day I purchased a whole room couch thing with like twelve pieces. It all fit together if you wanted. It had many party and after-party functions.

Maybe it had become run down or perhaps what I viewed as another eclectic element to the fabric of the OM has become out-of-date and out-of-style. Seems like I run into that phenomenon more and more  :;):
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I think there's a difference between "eclectic" and "a big room full of junk".  Not saying that's what Crawdads is/was, but let's not confuse the places like Niche and Room with a glorified Hallmark store.  It would be like saying Ted & Wally's and Maggie Moo's are interchangeable.

-Big E
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It would be a cold day in July before I would ever complain about a great local restaurant opening a second location....but....  I hope the Old Market doesn't just become a collection of bars, restaurants and ice cream parlors.  There has to remain a solid core of galleries, nick knack shops, record stores, clothing stores and the like, in order to keep the right mix of businesses to continue to lure people in.  I hope Crawdads relocates. It is a neat store.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:I think there's a difference between "eclectic" and "a big room full of junk".  Not saying that's what Crawdads is/was, but let's not confuse the places like Niche and Room with a glorified Hallmark store.  It would be like saying Ted & Wally's and Maggie Moo's are interchangeable.

-Big E
So what do you have against Ted & Wally's  ???    :mrgreen:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

LOL...  I don't have anything against either one of them.  I prefer one over the other, but that doesn't mean everyone will and you certainly can't say they are the same.  Anyway, I know you were kidding.  ;)

As far as the Old Market becoming just restaurants/bars (which it never will, totally), I don't think I would mind - assuming the eclectic retail moved to the areas surrounding the Old Market (16th, Jackson, by Kimball, etc).  I know the mix is important, but it doesn't need to be bar/store/restaurant/store/bar/store/restaurant every door for blocks and blocks.

-Big E
Stable genius.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Crawdads has moved out and work is beginning on the gutting and renovating of the space.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is a perfect example of what may be the goose laying the golden egg.  While I am soooooo happy that O Casual is moving downtown to what was long vacant space, I hate to see longstanding retailers like Crawdads and the Antiquarian leave.  They were two fixtures in the market, dating back decades, I believe.  The Market debuted as a little slice of Bohemian counterculture in a land of Wonderbread.  Bohemia to me is reflective of stores that sell things you can't find at the mall.  It isn't Starbucks and Martini bars.  While I adore Stokes (it is one of my 10 favorite places to eat in town - ask me for the other 9), and hope it succeeds, I wish they had instead opened across 12th St. in the ultra cool building north of Jobber's Canyon.

By the way, the Urban Wine Co. on 11th and Jones is very nice.  Great food and wines in an attractive setting.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

yeah I wish something would go into the space north of Jobbers Canyon too. Every morning I walk by this space on my way to work. One would think this would be a prime and sought after spot.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

nativeomahan wrote:This is a perfect example of what may be the goose laying the golden egg.  While I am soooooo happy that O Casual is moving downtown to what was long vacant space, I hate to see longstanding retailers like Crawdads and the Antiquarian leave.  They were two fixtures in the market, dating back decades, I believe.  The Market debuted as a little slice of Bohemian counterculture in a land of Wonderbread.  Bohemia to me is reflective of stores that sell things you can't find at the mall.  It isn't Starbucks and Martini bars.  While I adore Stokes (it is one of my 10 favorite places to eat in town - ask me for the other 9), and hope it succeeds, I wish they had instead opened across 12th St. in the ultra cool building north of Jobber's Canyon.

By the way, the Urban Wine Co. on 11th and Jones is very nice.  Great food and wines in an attractive setting.
I agree with this sentiment entirely, but I believe that Crawdad's isn't leaving, just moving.  I can't remember where off the top of my head, but I know last time I was down there, I was talking to the owner, and he was moving to another storefront down there in the Old Market somewhere...  Hopefully a win/win for all involved.  We get something new, while not losing any of the original character of the OM.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Well, it's pretty obvious an August opening is pretty much out of the question.  But work is going on at a furious place.  Studding is now up for walls, HVAC work is pretty much in place, and the space is beginning to take shape.  I need to touch base to my source on this one, but I'd say it looks like maybe a late September or October opening would be possible.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I walked by stokes last night and the improvement to that corner is amazing.  They have so many more windows and accent lighting now it really improves the area.  Have they announced an opening date?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I"ve been looking for this thread to give updates but couldn't find it.

They put the HVAC on last week and redid the sidewalk around the building. It's coming along nicely but I'm not sure if it will open by the planned early November.
DTO
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I just got my building's monthly newsletter, and it listed a Stoke's opening of November 15.  Not sure where this info came from, or how updated it is, but I thought I'd pass it along.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I read somewhere (OW-H?) recently that Stokes was now shooting for mid-November.  Originally it had been set to open in August.   That's about when O Casual is supposed to open on Farnam St., in the old Chinese restaurant building.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

nativeomahan wrote:I read somewhere (OW-H?) recently that Stokes was now shooting for mid-November.  Originally it had been set to open in August.   That's about when O Casual is supposed to open on Farnam St., in the old Chinese restaurant building.
Yeah, keep dreaming about O.  Not gonna happen that quickly.  I think O, the former Parrott Bar, and PE Iler are competing for slowest construction honors  :?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I also drove past Stokes yesterday to see the progress, and it DOES look great.  It's a tremendous improvement to that corner.  I wish something could be done with the upstairs floors of that building, though.  They remain an eyesore.

I also hope that once Jobbers Canyon moves out, another business moves right in (one with a decent business sense...).
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They have the wall up for what I'm guessing will be the back of the bar making a hallway along 11th St. They are working on the kitchen when I walked by today.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:They have the wall up for what I'm guessing will be the back of the bar making a hallway along 11th St. They are working on the kitchen when I walked by today.
12th Street, maybe?

-Eric
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

YEah that one. That's what happens when you've had 10 hours of sleep in 3 days.
DTO
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

DTO Luv wrote:YEah that one. That's what happens when you've had 10 hours of sleep in 3 days.
Ah come on. I saw you gettin plenty of zzzzzz's during work yesterday.  :lol:
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Well I'm stoked!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Streets,

What did you think about the Black paint?

DTO,

Where are your pictures of the Black Paint?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Brad wrote:Streets,

What did you think about the Black paint?

The question wasn't directed at me, but I have to say I really like the black paint.  .... Does that mean everyone else is going to hate it?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They have the new signs up (very cool looking BTW) and are installing the handicapped walkway and railing on the front of the building.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I'm glad they redid the sidewalk. That section of sidewalk was always so crappy.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah I like the signs too. I took a couple pics of them yesterday. I'll try to get one up tonight.

Here they are.