8%
other
29%

Total votes: 95

JBJ
New to the Neighborhood

Best Pizza in Omaha

Post by JBJ »

What do you guys think?  I've just recently ate at La Casa and it was some of the best I've ever had.  Also heard that Orsi's is good.  Thanks again!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There are several threads here already about best pizza in town - one being this Big Fred's Buyout?
Last edited by Coyote on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Depends on what you're looking for.  If its authentic, NY Style pizza, I'd have to throw Frank's (132nd and Dodge) into the ring.  Its a small, unassuming pizza shop, but some of the best pizza I've been able to find anywhere in this city.  It reminds me of the local pizza shop I ate at all the time growing up in NY.
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

I love Sortino's.  I'm biased though, since my family has been going there before I could even walk  :lol:  

Bernie's pizza is not bad either.
Last edited by theurge on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBJ
New to the Neighborhood

Post by JBJ »

thanks, I didn't see those
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Living in the Chicago area these days I often think about the next time I can get back to Omaha so I can; one, eat La Casa, and two, see family.

I don't care much for "Chicago style"(deep rock hard crust with enough cheese to gag an elephant) and long for something as good as Godfather's, yet find myself eating a lot of Papa John's simply by a mediocre default of selection.
Andrew
Home Owners Association

Post by Andrew »

I would have voted for Angelo's if they hadn't closed down a couple years ago!
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

nebport5 wrote:Living in the Chicago area these days I often think about the next time I can get back to Omaha so I can; one, eat La Casa, and two, see family.

I don't care much for "Chicago style"(deep rock hard crust with enough cheese to gag an elephant) and long for something as good as Godfather's, yet find myself eating a lot of Papa John's simply by a mediocre default of selection.
I like Chicago style once in awhile, but yeah, it's pretty danged heavy.   There's some places with good crust though.  If you can find a Nancy's, that's the best I've had.  

But yeah, I grew up on Godfathers nearly every friday for the first 10-12 years of my life.   I long for it sometimes.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I am going to have to definitely say Zio's, which should be added to the list!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Asten wrote:
I like Chicago style once in awhile, but yeah, it's pretty danged heavy.   There's some places with good crust though.  If you can find a Nancy's, that's the best I've had.  

But yeah, I grew up on Godfathers nearly every friday for the first 10-12 years of my life.   I long for it sometimes.

Bacino's in the city is pretty good for deep dish.  Nancy's is ok, but I'd rather eat at a few of the local places that are Neapolitan/St.Louis style.

Back in Omaha...Zio's is good too, but I think they're terribly inconsistent in service and quality.  When they're "on" its really good.

I also might add Don Carmelo's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebport5 wrote:I also might add Don Carmelo's.
There is still one around?  I kept hearing the one on Farnam was going to re open, but never did.  Is there still one on 160th and Center?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Brad wrote:
nebport5 wrote:I also might add Don Carmelo's.
There is still one around?  I kept hearing the one on Farnam was going to re open, but never did.  Is there still one on 160th and Center?
At least two locations in town: a strip center just east of 120th between Blondo and Maple with at least one other on 204th Street between Dodge and Blondo (formerly Elkhorn).
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The best Pizza in Omaha?..

La Casa. There is no substitute..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

la casas and zios for me.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Image!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

La Casa's Peppi will return after face-lift
Omaha World Herald wrote:Peppi, the mandolin-playing symbol of La Casa Pizzaria, is having a little work done. The neon sign, above La Casa's entrance for 50 years, was taken to a local sign shop this week for a new paint job, wiring upgrades and some structural repairs.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha World Herald wrote:Say "Orsi's" in Omaha, and most people think "bread." But Orsi's Italian Bakery, on Pacific Street near Seventh Street, also offers pizza for takeout. Employees say the bakery has sold carryout pizza since the mid-1990s.

It comes in four sizes that relate to a rectangular sheet pan. A full sheet with one topping (24 square slices) is $25. A half sheet is $15, a quarter sheet is $9.50 and the mini is $5.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I HOPE laCasa is doing good!  I saw a TV commercial for them the other night.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I recently tried out Orsi's pizza. It is freaking awesome pizza IMO. Check it out if you haven't.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Zio's isn't bad...we ate there one night this fall (downtown location), and it was ok.  I have had it once before, and it seemed to have been much better (same location) so i agree with the on/off they've got going on.  A couple places in council bluffs that are pretty good that are not so much a pizzeria but just good pizza are breadeaux and pizza counter pizza king.  Pizza counter is a little greasier, but it's not too bad; breadeaux is flippin delicious, though i have not eaten at the new CB location.  I know that when i was growing up, it was hands-down better than any pizza place (imo).  I'll also note that old chicago has some good calzones and not bad pizza, either.
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - I made the best pizza in Omaha yesterday afternoon. Sauteed leeks, portabella mushrooms, artichoke hearts, plum tomatoes, on basil pesto with kalamata olives and feta cheese. :P  I used to get it pre-made from Austin's Central Market.

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Coyote wrote:Well - I made the best pizza in Omaha yesterday afternoon. Sauteed leeks, portabella mushrooms, artichoke hearts, plum tomatoes, on basil pesto with kalamata olives and feta cheese. :P  I used to get it pre-made from Austin's Central Market.

Remove the mushrooms and invite me over to share half.  Sounds and looks great!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Whats the plan with the Midtown Don Carmello's Pizza?  It has been empty forever, but the sign is still there and I heard a rumor long ago that they were going to reopen but never have?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:Whats the plan with the Midtown Don Carmello's Pizza?  It has been empty forever, but the sign is still there and I heard a rumor long ago that they were going to reopen but never have?
Their fire was about 2 years ago. They were supposed to repair and reopen.  I had thought that they had opened again.  I went to that location frequently when I lived on Dewey.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

They had signs up in Fall 06 for opening in December, then it was summer 07 then..... But now they actually are remodeling and are pretty far with it. I'm thinking within a month. I'll look next time I go by.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:They had signs up in Fall 06 for opening in December, then it was summer 07 then..... But now they actually are remodeling and are pretty far with it. I'm thinking within a month. I'll look next time I go by.
We go to the "Donnie C's" out west for lunch a lot, best lunch deal in town.  That would be great for all the workers in that area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Peppi's back and brighter than ever

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10233935
After a trip to the spa, Peppi, the mandolin-playing mascot of La Casa Pizzaria, is ready to get back to work.

Despite some concerns about nearby power lines and this morning's winds, the 50-plus- year-old neon sign went back up in front of the business at 45th and Leavenworth Streets.

La Casa business manager and co-owner Joel Hahn said Peppi has been at Neon Products for the last seven weeks.

Hahn said he's happy with Peppi's updated look, which cost the restaurant about $11,000. The sign had layers of old paint and rust removed along with the rewiring and replacement of neon units.

Rob Tomanek, sales associate at Neon Products, said Peppi's new color coat was hand-painted, just as it was when the sign was made.

Peppi is a product of the imagination of Hahn's grandfather, La Casa founder Joe Patane.
SurfOmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SurfOmaha »

I had to go with orsi's on that one!
http://www.surfomaha.com
GAY RIGHTS!!!  ITS TIME TO GET ROWDY!!! http://omahagayvillage.ning.com
julyfire
New to the Neighborhood

Post by julyfire »

Hmmm, seems like we have a LOT of pizza places to try.  There's a lot on that list that I have never tried (not an Omaha native).  I guess we'll start with LaCasa.

I do really like Peffer's though.

But I have to say that Big Fred's was some of the WORST pizza I have ever eaten.  Granted, we only tried it once, but it was so awful that we never went back.

ETA: I really liked Don Carmelo's too the one or two times we got to go before they burned.  Wish they'd open back up.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So why do people hate Big Fred's so much?  I grew up on the stuff, and while it is certainly not gourmet by any standard, I don't see where it is as despicable as everyone thinks it is.

-Big E
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:So why do people hate Big Fred's so much?  I grew up on the stuff, and while it is certainly not gourmet by any standard, I don't see where it is as despicable as everyone thinks it is.

-Big E
I am sure it is one of those institutions that relies more of memories than quality (i.e. think of South O' restaurants).  I love Sortino's (the blue collar version of Big Fred's), but I am sure some of it is the childhood memories of running around there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Personally I like Big Fred's, its not out of this world, but it is way better that Pizza Hut or God father's.

Big Fred's is also not much different than Mama's or Sortino's
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I'd just like to throw another pizza joint into the mix here, Old River Pizza is quite good, really like the veggie pizza.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
julyfire
New to the Neighborhood

Post by julyfire »

Hmmm - I guess I just really didn't like their style of pizza (Big Fred's).

Very little sauce - almost none on the one we got, and what was there I really disliked the flavor of.  Also their combo/supreme/whatever they call it seemed to be mostly hamburger, which I'm not fond of as a pizza topping in the first place.  Very little cheese too.

Like I said, we could have hit them on a bad day, but that was our impression.

I'm sure the childhood memories thing does help.  And I don't have that here, obviously.

But I've experienced it in reverse - for example I *adore* Topsy's cherry limeades and Winstead's cheeseburgers in KC (my hometown, lots of childhood memories at Topsy's and Winstead's!) and my SO who didn't grow up there can't really understand the love.   :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:I'd just like to throw another pizza joint into the mix here, Old River Pizza is quite good, really like the veggie pizza.
I have been there once, not too bad from what I remember.
julyfire
New to the Neighborhood

Place to vote on pizza in Omaha

Post by julyfire »

Just thought I would share this here - I ran across a website where you can vote on the quality of different pizza places in Omaha - it's http://pizzaomaha.com

I don't know who runs the site, but I thought some of you might like to give opinions there.  :)
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

they need to add orsi's....
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

No kidding. Orsi's is the bomb.
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

1. Frank's
2. Orsi's (I have no idea why they would leave out Mama's and Orsi's - craziness)
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

I see Pizza Hut and Papa Johns, but not Sortinos?  

This list is flawed!