Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Beer and Loathing in Dundee

Post by Brad »

Beer and Loathing in Dundee

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10103980
The southeast corner of 50th Street and Underwood Avenue is a spot some local restaurateurs fear and loathe.

In the past eight years, it has been home to four failed restaurants: Bomba Dia, Wheelers, Underwood Cafe and Stevie J's Sports Grille.

But Michael Sartori and Dave Witt hope a sports bar with a clever, counter-culture name can turn the ill-fated Dundee spot around.

The duo are busy remodeling 4949 Underwood Ave. into what they're calling Beer and Loathing in Dundee.

What sets their concept apart from the latest casualty — Stevie J's, which closed in January — and other past efforts?

"We're not going to be serving any food," said Sartori, who also owns Tavern on Q Street and has been involved with two other Omaha bars. "I think a lot of people tried to make this a great big restaurant. And you can't get the volume there to make it break even.

"We're going to do more of a sports lounge. We're planning access to Major League Baseball packages, basketball and Big Red football."

Sartori said the bar's new interior also will differ dramatically from previous concepts — with a 30-foot-long, brass-railed oak bar in the center of the former dining room, games along one wall, lounge seating by the windows, two 60-inch high-definition televisions and a dozen 32-inchers for sports viewing.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

"We can't stop here.... this is bat country!" :lol:
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Part of the problem with that building as is that big uninterrupted wall on the West. They should split that building into two spaces and and put in another (really small) shop with an entrance on the West side like Amsterdam just across the street. Then they should get rid of that parking lane and add in a full sized sidewalk. It is a walking neighborhood, afterall.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Swift wrote:Then they should get rid of that parking lane and add in a full sized sidewalk. It is a walking neighborhood, afterall.
People like myself that enjoy going to Dundee that live to far away to walk appriciate the parking spots.  Dundee attracts people from all over town.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anyone here watch "The Wire"?  I wonder if the owners of Amsterdam were aware of the connotations when they picked the name...

-Big E
Stable genius.
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

Sports bar with big TVs   (ho hum, yawn, sigh)

Windows on that wall along 50th would be great for watching Ted+Wallys, the Amsterdam, and the outdoor drinkers at the bar and for
pedestrians ogling the customers inside.....

What is the best retail option for that space?  

I am thinking a place that attracts women and a place where people hang and a place that says Dundee or Omaha and a place that has outdoor activity just outside its walls and .....

Vince
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:
Swift wrote:Then they should get rid of that parking lane and add in a full sized sidewalk. It is a walking neighborhood, afterall.
People like myself that enjoy going to Dundee that live to far away to walk appriciate the parking spots.  Dundee attracts people from all over town.

People walk all over the mall and Downtown so why not Dundee?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:
Brad wrote:

But you, living downtown, don't walk to Dundee, just as I don't walk to Dundee, I walk once I get there, just like I do downtown.  I drive there park, then walk around.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:
Brad wrote:

But you, living downtown, don't walk to Dundee, just as I don't walk to Dundee, I walk once I get there, just like I do downtown.  I drive there park, then walk around.
So why can't someone drive there, park, and walk around the damn corner to the main part of the neighborhood, rather than having to park right in front of the first door they're using?

Old neighborhoods all over Maryland (I'm thinking specifically of downtown Annapolis and Federal Hill in Baltimore) have built parking garages a block or two off the main drag, and they've done wonders for the neighborhoods.  I'm surprised no one in Dundee has ever thought of this.  There HAS to be a space nearby to use for that purpose.

-Big E
Stable genius.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Vince Furlong wrote:Sports bar with big TVs   (ho hum, yawn, sigh)

Windows on that wall along 50th would be great for watching Ted+Wallys, the Amsterdam, and the outdoor drinkers at the bar and for
pedestrians ogling the customers inside.....

What is the best retail option for that space?  

I am thinking a place that attracts women and a place where people hang and a place that says Dundee or Omaha and a place that has outdoor activity just outside its walls and .....

Vince
...."The Omaha Chocolate Company" ????????

BTW, about the parking garage option, I had heard at one time there was a possibility of someone trying to buy the land where Grandpa's or Grampy's deli place is - and placing a garage there up against the KFAB building. But someone shot that idea down - probably the owner of the old 7-11. Remember when you could hop off the bus from Lewis & Clark Jr. High & cruise over the 7-11 & pick up some treats? And, when Baskin Robbins 31 flavors was on the corner? And way back, when the hardware store was in a successful space on the opposite corner from where they ended up?

I'm all for Dundee & maintaining a neat little family atmosphere w/ destinations that people would love to walk to - I could have pictured making chocolate right up against the front glass of a bay up there for passers' by. But, something happened and building owners thought they could start getting $16+ per sq.ft. for rents up there. I loooooooove Dundee, but let's be honest here - people don't drive up there and support those businesses enough to cover the cost of rent & operations, for the most part.  I've heard from several sources that the Ted and Wally's isn't doing too great, either - and, judging it froma 100 degree day in the summer isn't a fair time to make the assessment. It has to be consistent, frequent business. We almost rented that exact bay, but the landlord couldn't make up his mind on what he was going to charge for rent & what he was willing to put into the space for TIA. I can tell you that Blimpies, Scooters, Starbucks, and many other shops were in discussions or talks with him originally, but everything kept falling through.

And, to not offend those who would argue that people do support those businesses, yes, they do - to some. The Dell is awesome, Trovatos packs them in still, from what I've heard. But, they're almost iconic places in the neighborhood. You couldn't have lived within a couple miles of that part of Omaha and not have probably been to both of them a few times, minimum. But, they also probably don't have the increasing rents, because I believe they both own their properties. The space where this new bar is going is or was for sale - I don't know if these guys are buying or leasing, but they originally wanted almost a $1 million for it - no way. The last I saw it was listed at about $850,000, but still. All that property across the street (Dundee Hardware, KFAB, etc.) just sold last year for around $2 million, and that's a much better piece of real estate, with parking, and a ton of space that can be divided.

Also, does anyone know if the gas station up there sold yet? I saw it listed on Loop Net about a month ago, and again, is this due to the amount of business they lack, or just getting out of it, or what? They tried a second location near 156th & Q a few years ago, but that didn't stay open for about a year - now it's a Kabredlo's (I think?) - but it sat closed and vacated for months inbetween names. I went to high school w/ the Bakhits (again, spelling?) - very nice people - sorry to see them go if it's due to business performance.

I miss WC Franks! Someone go into business with me opening up WC Franks around town again! I've often thought about it - it would be tough to simulate the arcade games again, unless one went into it w/ the idea of the pizza shop on 120th & Maple w/ the retro arcade. I don't know if they're busy out there, but damn it, I miss them! Remember the one on 48th & Center? Or, 120th & Center? Or, wasn't there one on Dodge where Children's Hospital is tearing away stuff? |expletive|, I wish I were a millionaire - I'd put a lot of money into bringing back "fun" stuff from my childhood that kids from here on out will never get to see.

OK, that was some rambling, but - who wants to re-open some WC Franks? 'Cause for real, where can one go when they truly want a tasty beef frank in Omaha??? :)

D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:So why can't someone drive there, park, and walk around the darn corner to the main part of the neighborhood, rather than having to park right in front of the first door they're using?
Because there is not enough parking for that.  I don't ever remember dundee having a lack of sidewalk space?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:So why can't someone drive there, park, and walk around the darn corner to the main part of the neighborhood, rather than having to park right in front of the first door they're using?
Because there is not enough parking for that.  I don't ever remember dundee having a lack of sidewalk space?
That was kind of why I proposed the parking garage.

There is all kinds of parking in and around Dundee.  Anyone that thinks there is not enough parking is just plain lazy and doesn't want to walk 100 feet.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:
Brad wrote:

There is all kinds of parking in and around Dundee.  Anyone that thinks there is not enough parking is just plain lazy and doesn't want to walk 100 feet.

-Big E
Exactly.
DTO
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Big E wrote:
Brad wrote:

-Big E
This was proposed quite a while ago but I dont think the public was really made aware of it.  I think the plans now are all but dead, but the plan was to tear down the strip mall at 51st and Underwood.  The building would be rebuilt closer to the street and a parking garage built behind it.  I am assuming the neighborhood shot down the plan.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am not lazy and I don't mind walking, god knows I do it downtown all the time.  What I am getting at is why get rid of perfectly good parking spots?  I am sure neighbors get tired of people always parking in front of their houses.  I understand building a parking garage would be a good thing, but I don't see the Neighborhood association letting that happen.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I was driving by today, and it appears that Beer and Loathing is now open.  Looked like there was a decent after work crowd in there.  I wish them luck in this oddly cursed space...  Hope they make it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

A couple friends of mine went last night, so it is definitely open.  I'll have to see what they thought.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Another problem I noticed with that space is a lack of exterior lighting. At leas they were wise enough to add lights to their sign, but they should also light the sides of the building too.
Fnord Explorer
Home Owners Association

Post by Fnord Explorer »

Ugh, a sports bar.  What an eyesore for the area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Fnord Explorer wrote:Ugh, a sports bar.  What an eyesore for the area.
I don't think the building looks bad?   I noticed it the other night when I went to the dell.  The only reason I really noticed anything different is because it was dark and the neon beer signs stood out.

My opinion is that if you have a true walking neighborhood you need a sports bar too.  They have a great hole in the wall, the wood, they have some great bars and restaurants, but none are a true sports bar.  Now if they could get get a grocery store in there again.
Fnord Explorer
Home Owners Association

Post by Fnord Explorer »

Brad wrote:
I don't think the building looks bad?  
I meant the clientele!
SarahEatsOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SarahEatsOmaha »

Fnord Explorer wrote:
Brad wrote:
I don't think the building looks bad?  
I meant the clientele!
Plus, if you don't enjoy that smoky bar atmosphere, I wouldn't recommend it.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

xmx
Last edited by ThatGuy on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Beer and Loathing in Dundee

Post by Coyote »

Did Beer and Loathing close/change ownership/change branding as Baela Rose?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hopefully they dust for once.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Heard a rumor that beer and loathing will be closing for good this Sunday. Out of state investors may also be eyeing the property for new use or "last case scenario demolition..."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jelizh wrote:Heard a rumor that beer and loathing will be closing for good this Sunday. Out of state investors may also be eyeing the property for new use or "last case scenario demolition..."
Why would you ever demolish that building...
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Brad wrote:
jelizh wrote:Heard a rumor that beer and loathing will be closing for good this Sunday. Out of state investors may also be eyeing the property for new use or "last case scenario demolition..."
Why would you ever demolish that building...

It sounds as though the interested party will be trying to use some of the same structural excuses that were used on the Clarinda-Page. (IE costs more to save than to tear down, not structurally sound etc ) I personally think Dundee would put up more of a fight given the history of this building. Provided, this is all contingent on whether or not the current owner is even willing to entertain offers. I for one hope the building stays standing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Andrea Kszystyniak: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Beer and Loathing in Dundee, 4949 Underwood Ave., shut down on July 12. Plans for the space going forward have not yet been announced.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Getting a new roof today, work going on inside.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Market House and Krug Park teaming together for a cocktail bar at 50th and Underwood. I assume here...
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

iamjacobm wrote:Market House and Krug Park teaming together for a cocktail bar at 50th and Underwood. I assume here...
http://www.omaha.com/go/cocktail-lounge ... 6f2f9.html

I couldn't think of a better outcome for this location, exactly what Dundee has been needing!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok, that explains why they were working on the roof several weeks ago...
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

A rooftop deck?? Me likey!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is at least a half dozen people standing by the front door of beer and loathing just before 10am today.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:There is at least a half dozen people standing by the front door of beer and loathing just before 10am today.
From the permits page the framing permit was approved yesterday. Interestingly the permits page says that it is for Baela Rose? I feel like that is a mistake.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:There is at least a half dozen people standing by the front door of beer and loathing just before 10am today.
From the permits page the framing permit was approved yesterday. Interestingly the permits page says that it is for Baela Rose? I feel like that is a mistake.
I wonder if they have the address wrong. Baela Rosa should also have a few permits going on right now..
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
I wonder if they have the address wrong. Baela Rosa should also have a few permits going on right now..
Yeah I was sure to check that location and they do have a bunch going. It was probably just a mistake, but the permits for this Beer and Loathing location did say $360K in renovations.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Workers were on the roof for several weeks a little while back...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Permits Details
Licensed Professional:
JOHN L FARSON
DICON CORPORATION
11506 NICHOLAS ST
OMAHA, NE, 68154
CONTRACTOR 0000131756
Project Description:
BAELA ROSE - RESTAURANT
Owner:
G THOMAS SIMMONS IV
667 N 66 ST
OMAHA NE 68132
More Details (click arrow)

Additional Information
Job Value($):
$360,000.00
Number of Buildings:
Construction Type Codes:
437-Additions, Alterations and Conversions - Non-residential and No-housekeeping
Application Information
GENERAL INFOAddendum Issued: No
Parcel Information
Parcel Number:
Legal Description:
N 1/2 VAC ALLEY ADJ & 50 X 135
Addition:
DUNDEE PLACE