Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Anthony's Steakhouse / OZONE (72nd & F)

Post by Brad »

Anthony's Steakhouse / OZONE (72nd & F)

http://www.anthonyssteakhouse.com

Anyone know what going on at Anthony's?  It looks like they have torn down the northern 1/3 of the building?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently I was wrong.  They are actually adding on... A huge patio:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Too bad.  You had my hopes up!
MythOldMarket
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MythOldMarket »

I had actually heard through the grapevine that the Ozone is expanding...by the sound and look of it, might take over the whole place.

- Brian
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Well there are Friday and Sat nights where it is packed and other nights you could run through the place and not hit anyone.  I think the steakhouse still gets a good crowd so maybe they are shifting that to the north to give the Ozone more room.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I was in the Ozone last night and asked what was being built.  They said it was a large banquet room and outdoor eating/drinking area.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Anthony's Steakhouse / OZONE (72nd & F)

Post by Coyote »

Rumor has it Anthony's is again up for a huge renovation...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wonder what part?

We had our wedding reception there and the party room side is really nice. Wonder if the are going to do something to the dining room?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

They have a great party room. Hope they don't tear up the restaurant. They could use some sound engineering. uncomfortably loud near the entrance when the Ozone is going and in the party room when bands are playing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I hear it will be the Dining Room that will be getting a $300k facelift.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Funny story... As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we had our Wedding Reception at Anthony's. My wife waned them to remove the steer for the reception and I was the complete opposite, I wanted to get the wedding party up on the roof to pose with it. Anthony's said no to both. Still a great venue for the reception.

Kelly: Steer at Anthony's Steakhouse gets a fresh coat of paint for restaurant's 50th anniversary

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kelly/k ... bd99f.html
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Brad wrote:Funny story... As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we had our Wedding Reception at Anthony's. My wife waned them to remove the steer for the reception and I was the complete opposite, I wanted to get the wedding party up on the roof to pose with it. Anthony's said no to both. Still a great venue for the reception.
I have been to a wedding and several Madonna school fund raisers. Anthony's knocks it out of the park for these kind of receptions.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Every time a post pops up on a traditional Omaha Italian Steakhouse thread, I'm always afraid it's a notification it's going to close..

Thankfully, this is not the case...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard Anthony's is closing and the owner is retiring. Anyone heard anything to confirm?
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Brad wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:09 am I heard Anthony's is closing and the owner is retiring. Anyone heard anything to confirm?
True. Dining room closing February 26, banquet room staying open through May to honor already booked events.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-new ... n-business
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I was in there several months ago. They had revamped their menu. Service was dramatically improved from previous visits and the food was excellent. It's a bummer they're closing.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Any speculation on who will acquire the land? Too big for a Club or Rocket Car Wash, and there is a Casey's a few blocks North.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:39 pm Every time a post pops up on a traditional Omaha Italian Steakhouse thread, I'm always afraid it's a notification it's going to close..

Thankfully, this is not the case...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Well, I see this domino has finally fallen…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WBR_Tom wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:15 am
Brad wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:09 am I heard Anthony's is closing and the owner is retiring. Anyone heard anything to confirm?
True. Dining room closing February 26, banquet room staying open through May to honor already booked events.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-new ... n-business
Thanks. Sad to hear, we had our wedding reception there in the party room and it was a great venue! Nicely remodeled, well laid out, great attached patio.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It is sad to hear..

There are only a handful of the old, traditional Omaha Italian Steakhouses left. In fact, the only one left that comes to mind to me now is Cascio’s.. Maybe some of you can help name any others still open..

It’s too bad to see this original piece of the Omaha “foodie” scene slowly go the way of the dinosaur…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:56 am It is sad to hear..

There are only a handful of the old, traditional Omaha Italian Steakhouses left. In fact, the only one left that comes to mind to me now is Cascio’s.. Maybe some of you can help name any others still open..

It’s too bad to see this original piece of the Omaha “foodie” scene slowly go the way of the dinosaur…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I would suggest that Johhny's by the old stockyards area fits the mold of old school at least.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I would suggest that Johhny's by the old stockyards area fits the mold of old school at least.
Yeah that place sure looks the part, too.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Louie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:39 am

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I would agree- Johnny’s in south O, Cascio’s..any other old school Omaha Italian steakhouses still open that anyone can think of?…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:03 pm
Louie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:39 am

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I would agree- Johnny’s in south O, Cascio’s..any other old school Omaha Italian steakhouses still open that anyone can think of?…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I can't think of any others that are both old school and Italian.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Jericos and BrotherSebastians are close. Anthony’s never struck me the same asCascios and the various Caniglia family places did. Closer to Jerico’s.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:35 pm Jericos and BrotherSebastians are close. Anthony’s never struck me the same asCascios and the various Caniglia family places did. Closer to Jerico’s.
I would agree- they are close..

I guess the only remaining old school Omaha Italian Steakhouses left are Cascio’s and Johnny’s (in South O, not the Johnny’s at Village Pointe..

Sad indeed…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

I would include Gorat's personally. But certainly there aren't many left.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

For me Anthony's absolutely belongs in the old school group. I have always kind of referred to that group as Italian Steakhouses. They are ones that have been around for decades, and menu is a mix of steaks, seafood and italian. You also get some sort of side pasta with your meal, usually spaghetti or mostaccioli. Anthony's was in the heart of hit back in the hey day. 72nd had multiple because of Ak Sar Ben.

I was a busboy at one in the early 80's called Kenny's that was at 72nd and Dodge (where Do Space is now). It was there from the 50's until Borders bought the land near 2000. The ones on 72nd took a massive hit when Ak Sar Been went into decline.

Greg
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Unfortunately, a lot of them didn't change with the times. Stale menus and bad locations. All in the hopes that people would keep going there out of habit and nostalgia. Still, it's sad to see them go.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Kenny’s was a chicken joint back when fried chicken was a treat on days other than Sunday. They served steaks as well, but they were more like Rose’s Lodge.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm Kenny’s was a chicken joint back when fried chicken was a treat on days other than Sunday. They served steaks as well, but they were more like Rose’s Lodge.
No they weren't. They did have a couple options for chicken on their menu but they focused more on a variety of steaks (including prime rib), multiple seafood options, and several Italian plates. They also had really good ribs. I worked there for 4 years. My mom was also a hostess part time for a while there. One of my older brothers worked there before me too (we lived close by, off 68th and Dodge). Kenny's was most definitely more of a steak house similar to Ross and Venice Inn that were close by.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:51 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm Kenny’s was a chicken joint back when fried chicken was a treat on days other than Sunday. They served steaks as well, but they were more like Rose’s Lodge.
No they weren't. They did have a couple options for chicken on their menu but they focused more on a variety of steaks (including prime rib), multiple seafood options, and several Italian plates. They also had really good ribs. I worked there for 4 years. My mom was also a hostess part time for a while there. One of my older brothers worked there before me too (we lived close by, off 68th and Dodge). Kenny's was most definitely more of a steak house similar to Ross and Venice Inn that were close by.

Greg
No, Kenny’s was not a chicken joint.. It was basically general American plates as Greg stated.. When I worked in the area in the 1980’s, I used to get their beef tips with rice special for lunch quite a bit. Kenny’s always had consistent, good food- at a good price..Yet another place I miss from back in the day…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Dont get me wrong, Kennys was one of my favorites as a kid.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Anthony's Steakhouse charity auction

Omaha World-Herald

The iconic steer that sat for 50 years atop Anthony's Steakhouse at 72nd and L Streets is being auctioned off to the highest bidder.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Anthony Steakhouse steer auctioned off for $45,000, proceeds going to charity

KMTV 3 News Now

An icon of both the Omaha restaurant scene and lovers of beef has been sold in auction on Monday for both a tasty price and a good cause.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Anthony's Steakhouse closing and auctioning off giant steer

KETV NewsWatch

Anthony's Steakhouse closing and auctioning off giant steer
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Looks like the steer statue sold for $45,000 to some place called T-Bone Truck Stop. I'm certainly no expert on such things, but I have to think they could commission their own steer statue for less than that. Any historic value will be mostly lost if they paint over "Anthony's" with "T-Bone Truck Stop."
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:19 pm Looks like the steer statue sold for $45,000 to some place called T-Bone Truck Stop. I'm certainly no expert on such things, but I have to think they could commission their own steer statue for less than that. Any historic value will be mostly lost if they paint over "Anthony's" with "T-Bone Truck Stop."
The T-Bone Truck Stop is in Columbus, NE. The owner said he bought the bull so it wouldn’t go out of state.

I’m not sure if painting over the name would affect things as much as you think. For a lot of people, the importance is the thing itself, and many have been moved at one time or another. You can see a number of them at Roadside America.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/