Doc & Eddie's BBQ near 168th and Harrison

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Doc & Eddie's BBQ near 168th and Harrison

Post by nebugeater »

I ate there last week for the first time and it was good!.  Nice basic menu that focuses on the BBQ and not a lot of other stuff.  I ate at there stand that they sold take out from last summer in Gretna and they have converted this into a nice little place to grab some great food.  Kind of a sad side to this too as one of the two original owners passed away before the storefront got to open.  He was only in his 40's.

Read more here if you like but definitely  give it a try if you like BBQ.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10087581

On July 10, that stand expanded into Doc & Eddie's BBQ, an order-at-the-counter restaurant near 168th and Harrison Streets. We caught up with DeMare, the restaurant's 37-year-old pitmaster and primary owner, to talk about his barbecue partner's untimely death and their barbecue dreams
Q. You opened that last summer, right, near Gretna?

A. Yeah. It mostly was an excuse to hang out and drink beer and do what we enjoyed doing. But then we were selling 100 to 150 racks of ribs a week. We realized we could be more than just a roadside rib stand. So we spent the winter looking for a place.

Q. So what's on the menu?

A. Basic, true, authentic barbecue. Our specialty is St. Louis-cut ribs. We also do pulled pork, beef brisket and smoked sausage.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Is this any connection to the old Doc And Eddies on 90th?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I am not sure but I would guess not.  The name is derived from the two guys that started the place.  A Local Doctor and a guy who's first name is Eddie.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

New food review in the OWH today.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10173785

The décor is a little new-beige-strip-mall generic: High ceilings, painted concrete floors, a safari shade of khaki on the rear wall, and faux brick on side walls begging for artwork.

And the table settings and setup are a little barbecue cliché: Paper towel rolls and checkered plastic tablecloths top the tables. Condiments sit in six-pack beer bottle cartons. You order and pay at the counter and get your own drink. They bring food out in little baskets lined with checkered paper
But there's nothing ordinary about the meats, which have a depth of smoky flavor that any pitmaster would admire.
If you're a sauce type, Doc & Eddie's has three solid varieties, none of them blazing: the slightly sweet "original," whose smooth peppery heat comes on slow and lingers; the "chipotle," whose fire catches you at the back of the throat and disappears; and the fruity, tangy "sweet pineapple," the sweetest and mildest of the bunch.

Side dishes are more than afterthoughts.

Baked beans were sweet, smoky and extraordinarily meaty, with big chunks of what DeMare later explained were leftover brisket, pulled pork and ribs. If you like the meats, you'll like the beans.
Extras
-- -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The restaurant opened in July. But it got its start the previous summer as a roadside rib stand in Gretna run on the weekends by Omaha doctor Jeff DeMare and hospital security guard Eddie Vacek III. Vacek died this spring. His relatives now handle the catering portion of the business.

The restaurant has a drive-through for call-ahead carryout orders. It also serves beer, margaritas and a few Smirnoff drinks on site.

A new item graces the menu: a brisket and smoked sausage sandwich with chipotle barbecue sauce. It's named Rob's Heater, after a regular diner.
camps
New to the Neighborhood

Post by camps »

This place is right down the street from my house and I am a regular....The staff is super friendly and the food is GREAT.  Get the fried corn, its great!  Excellent place to get some good BBQ in West O
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

camps wrote:This place is right down the street from my house and I am a regular....The staff is super friendly and the food is GREAT.  Get the fried corn, its great!  Excellent place to get some good BBQ in West O
I think the food is above average too.  Ate there stuff a year ago when they were selling in Gretna before the one partner passed away.  

Camps, read the entire review.  The one thing the reviewer ragged on was the fried corn.  I am kind of indifferent on it but it is unique.  Obviously the review and you are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Doc & Eddie's BBQ near 168th and Harrison

Post by nebugeater »

Drove by this place recently and it looks like it just closed for good.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Doc & Eddie's BBQ near 168th and Harrison

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:Drove by this place recently and it looks like it just closed for good.
I'm always sorry to see a unique locally-owned place fail, but in this case I am not surprised. We got take-out ribs from them shortly after they opened and they were tough and not that tasty. Tres underwhelming!