Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene (mp3 posts)

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

Brad
City Council

Re: Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Survey Says...

The United States of BBQ: The Best Barbecue From Each of the 50 States

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/the-best-bb ... -jacks-bbq

Nebraska - Phat Jack's BBQ

While the author hasn't been there, I agree with his pick!
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

WBR_Tom
New to the Neighborhood

Postby WBR_Tom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:08 pm

My wife and I tried out a new BBQ joint on Galvin Road in Bellevue over the weekend that wasn't on Brad's list above -- Big Mike's, which apparently used to be a food truck built into an old school bus, but is now a brick-and-mortar restaurant. Nothing earth shattering, but it was competent BBQ. Better than some places I've been in Omaha, worse than others. Side dishes were underwhelming with the exception of the corn bread "waffle", which is a fun idea (instead of a muffin or bread, it's 1/4 of a belgian waffle made from corn bread). I couldn't believe the price though. Under $15 for two sandwiches, two sides apiece and two drinks. That's probably what will get me back in the door.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 pm

WBR_Tom wrote:My wife and I tried out a new BBQ joint on Galvin Road in Bellevue over the weekend that wasn't on Brad's list above -- Big Mike's, which apparently used to be a food truck built into an old school bus, but is now a brick-and-mortar restaurant. Nothing earth shattering, but it was competent BBQ. Better than some places I've been in Omaha, worse than others. Side dishes were underwhelming with the exception of the corn bread "waffle", which is a fun idea (instead of a muffin or bread, it's 1/4 of a belgian waffle made from corn bread). I couldn't believe the price though. Under $15 for two sandwiches, two sides apiece and two drinks. That's probably what will get me back in the door.

Was curious where on galvon and found their web site.

http://www.bigmikesbbqne.com/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:30 am

WBR_Tom wrote:wasn't on Brad's list above -- Big Mike's

Cool, I think I saw the (CLOSED) next to a couple of the google search results, but that must have been the food truck.

Can't beat $15 for BBQ!
@bradwphoto on Twitter

WBR_Tom
New to the Neighborhood

Postby WBR_Tom » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Heard tonight that a new BBQ place is going into the old Perkins on 108th & L (inside the Best Western). It'll be called "Tired Texan BBQ" and is shooting for an early May grand opening. Kind of an interesting location with Hog Wild a couple of doors down, but the owner didn't seem too worried about it; he said he subscrribes to the CVS/Walgreens philosophy that there's enough business to go around. I'm always excited to try a new local business so I can't wait to check this place out.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:47 pm

WBR_Tom wrote:Heard tonight that a new BBQ place is going into the old Perkins on 108th & L (inside the Best Western). It'll be called "Tired Texan BBQ" and is shooting for an early May grand opening. Kind of an interesting location with Hog Wild a couple of doors down, but the owner didn't seem too worried about it; he said he subscrribes to the CVS/Walgreens philosophy that there's enough business to go around. I'm always excited to try a new local business so I can't wait to check this place out.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. They have been working here for several weeks and I was wondering what might be going in here!

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:00 am

Looks like they have a Facebook page and if you google the name there are some other hits that show up with their name and the correct address mentioned.

https://www.facebook.com/TiredTexanBBQ/

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:05 am

They must be going to be really good since they are not open yet but have a 5* review already on Facebook.

Looks like the owner / guy starting this is Chip Holland

The FB page says Opening May 2.

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:47 am

nebugeater wrote:They must be going to be really good since they are not open yet but have a 5* review already on Facebook.

Not so fast; they've got a 1-star review also. So, I anticipate them having to close their doors before they even open them.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:48 am

Chip is an Alabama fan. Boycott.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:57 am

choke wrote:
nebugeater wrote:They must be going to be really good since they are not open yet but have a 5* review already on Facebook.

Not so fast; they've got a 1-star review also. So, I anticipate them having to close their doors before they even open them.

that's funny. That one star is two hours old and happend after I posted about the 5 *

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:09 am

It also says that you were there nebugeater. :music:

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:27 am

Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Postby Nick808402 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Anyone tried Tattoo Bob's by White House bar or whatever its called?

I bought a smoker and haven't looked back (Pit Barrel Cooker), but I am tempted to try some of these spots around town (Smoking Jays, Tattoo Bobs). I liked Hog Wild a lot, made it a hungover Sunday tradition while watching NFL games.

I only smoke ribs for the most part, but have done pulled pork and chicken before. Haven't done brisket yet, but want to (but not particularly compelled to)

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sun May 28, 2017 7:04 pm

According to their Facebook page Tired Texan served lunch today and ran out of meat...

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sun May 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Coyote wrote:According to their Facebook page Tired Texan served lunch today and ran out of meat...

How does that even happen? You're a BBQ place and you run out of meat :what: .. its akin to a Starbucks running out of coffee or a brew pub running out of beer..

It does not compute...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon May 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Hopefully that means its really good and lots of people showed up.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Tue May 30, 2017 6:22 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:According to their Facebook page Tired Texan served lunch today and ran out of meat...

How does that even happen? You're a BBQ place and you run out of meat :what: .. its akin to a Starbucks running out of coffee or a brew pub running out of beer..

It does not compute...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Different shelf life for beer and coffee.

I will give them a pass for know. If they are doing this a year from know it is another story. They are brand new to the restaurant business as I understand. Just opened. Last thing you want is a lot of left over product that sits for days or gets tossed. With a the variables I would not want to be the one to predict how much meat to smoke well in advance.

WBR_Tom
New to the Neighborhood

Postby WBR_Tom » Wed May 31, 2017 4:46 pm

That happened the previous weekend as well. Like nebugeater wrote, if it's still a problem a year from now, that's a problem; right now they're certainly still trying to figure out supply and demand. My wife and I have been twice, and business appeared brisk both times, so right now I'll chalk it up to them being busier than they counted on right off the bat.

The brisket was tasty; nice smoke ring, good flavor from the rub, cooked perfectly both times. Pulled pork was also really good, and consistent both times. I haven't personally tried the ribs, but they looked good (father in law ordered them on our visit last week). I was a big fan of the Texas Tumblers (bacon, cheese, and hash browns rolled into a golf ball sized sphere and deep-fat-fried). Ditto for the creamed corn and fries. Didn't care for the baked beans with crispy onion strings on top or the corn bread muffin top, but YMMV.

Certainly seems like the ingredients are there for a successful BBQ joint (a pit master with legit BBQ skills, good recipes, easily accessible location). But the service was spotty, they've run out of meat three times in two weeks, and it's half a block away from a chain BBQ place that seems to do steady business. I *think* those first two are things they can figure out as time goes on; I hope so as I'd much rather support the locally owned place over a chain on that street (and it's so close to both my house and my office I'm likely to frequent one or the other quite a bit). Overall I'd say it's promising.

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Postby HskrFanMike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 pm

NEDodger wrote:I've never heard of Smokin Barrel. Anyone had it?

Yes, and it's the best brisket I've found in Omaha. Better than many places in Kansas City.
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com

Return to “Dining/Culture/Entertainment”