Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

HskrFanMike wrote:A few weeks ago, we tried Doc & Eddies.  The meats were ok by themselves, but they suffer from "Amarillo" disease - namely, we don't want to taste the meat, so let's throw a ridiculous amount of spices into our sauces to cover it up.
I wasn't impressed with Doc & Eddies. Tres ordinaire! Ok if you're in the neighborhood, but don't go out of your way for it.

My fave has to be Smoke Pit downtown, but I don't get down there very often. Ribs are very similar to Barnelli's in Chicago. Very different from what you usually find around here.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone else eat at Big Horn Mountain Barbecue on 13th street just N of I 80.  Nothing to look at and probably not a place you would stop at just driving by BUT they make a BBQ that sure agrees with me.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I will put a shameless plug in here for the 18th Annual "Original" BBQ Championship of Nebraska, held August 21-22 in LaPlatte, NE (just a few miles south of Offutt AFB).  Over 40 great smoker teams from across a 5 state region will be cooking.  There is a People's Choice Sauce contest (actually 2 contests).  I run it.  Also a Rib Fest on Friday evening ($5), and music (The Rumbles) on Friday at 8 pm.  Admission and parking are free, except $5 admission after 6 pm on Friday due to the live music.  The actual official sanctioned contests run on Saturday beginning late morning.

This is a great opportunity to pick up some smoking tips (different kind of smoking, DTO!).
Visit us at http://www.gobs.org for a complete schedule of events!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Boxer Barbeque Co

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090814/E ... /708149869
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:There's meat in just about everything at this new Council Bluffs restaurant. And the portions are sized for a just-awakened-from-hibernation grizzly bear. Even if you don't do the $21.49, 2-pound dinner-for-six monster sandwich, you'll be taking home leftovers.

The upshot after two recent visits, three toothpicks and four antacids: Burping smoke and rubbing our tummies, we left with the full, sleepy feeling enjoyed only by overfed carnivores.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The Greater Omaha BBQ Society ate at Boxer BBQ on Monday Aug. 10.  It was a mixed review from our members...certainly nothing as glowing as the OWH reviewer would indicate.  Great potatoes, and over seasoned (allspice?) beans, but the big disappointment was that the restaurant ran out of meat for our members.  Not a good sign at all.  The ribs we got to sample were "okay", but over cooked.  The brisket was good.  the pork loin?  I don' know.  They ran out on the buffet before our end of the buffet line got a chance to sample them.  And  in our book it is a cardinal sin to serve meat with sauce on it!  That means the restaurant is covering up for bad or overcooked meat.  Sauce should always be offered on the side, for those who might want to sample it.  The meat should stand on its own, without any sauce.
We thought prices were high, even recognizing that barbeque is an expensive cuisine compared to many others.  Plan on $15 or more for a complete dinner, before drinks.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

nebugeater wrote:Big Horn Mountain Barbecue

(402) 934-7427
2524 S 13th St, Omaha, NE 68108

Every try this place?  It is about two blocks N of I80.  Absolutely great featherbone's  Some of the best sauce around.  Atmosphere rates a 0.5.  IT is an old converted gas stations /convenience store.  Packed at lunch all the time but not sure what the crowd is like other times.You would probably not stop driving by but give it a try.

Couple of reviews on Yahoo

http://local.yahoo.com/details?fr=dd-lo ... SU3Xz9mDg-
Just got back from there.  Like you said, great featherbones!!  I also had the HOTTEST chicken wing I've ever experienced.  Good food though.
coelestis
New to the Neighborhood

Big Horn Bad; Hartland BBQ Good

Post by coelestis »

Hi,

The Bad: :cry:
I went to Big Horn BBQ on 13th Street north of I-80 last week.  It was not good and I had such high hopes.  I had a pork sandwich and the brisket.
The pork sandwich was horrible tasted on its own (without the sauce on it).  It had no flavor.  I could tell it had been soaking in water to keep it moist because the bread was just soaked (mushy soaked).  The brisket in the styrofoam to-go container was also sitting in water.  I had to pour it off.
There was lots of bbq sauce on the meat, which did give it flavor, but of course, the meat should taste good without any sauce.

The Good: :D
Hartland BBQ at 52nd &  Maple

I love the pulled pork sandwich here.   The meat is served by itself as the sauce (3 kinds) is at the condiment bar.  You can eat the pork easily without anything on it.
Brisket and sausage link are good here to.  The baked beans have apples in it and I think they may be the best in town.
Please give it a try.  I want to keep this place in business.
The World Herald had a good review about a year ago.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Hartland BBQ catered the winter banquet for the Greater Omaha BBQ Society (http://www.gobs.org) a week ago.  The food was awesome, as usual.  As someone who prides himself on his love of food in general, and BBQ in particular, Hartland is king of the rib mountain in Omaha right now.  Actually, it is more of a hill than a mountain.
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

I live relatively close to Harkeets, but I have not eaten there. I WILL take the drive to the Amarillo any chance I get. Sausage appetizer, potato chips, corn on the cob, and dirt cake is my favorite meal :banger: .
The brisket sandwiches are great too.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
omahayum
New to the Neighborhood

BBQ Rib - Fanatics

Post by omahayum »

Would you rather make your own ribs or dine out?

What is your favorite Rib?
http://chefdadomaha.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -ribs.html

Where is your favorite BBQ joint?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

If I just want ribs, I'll go to Jim's Rib Haven.  If it's BBQ overall, it's Amarillo's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I added a new poll to this thread.  The old one was out dated.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Add Uncle Earnie's and I can vote in the poll.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uncle Earnie's has been added
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Is Heartland BBQ in Benson still around?  If so, it should be added.  

Frankly, winning the title of best BBQ in Omaha is like being the valedictorian of special ed.   None of the local places seem to be able to beat Famous Daves on a consistent basis.   I still haven't been to a local place that does east Carolina BBQ.   Aside from pork ribs, east Carolina pulled pork is the best reason to eat that oncogenic stuff.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

bigredmed wrote:Is Heartland BBQ in Benson still around?  If so, it should be added.  

Frankly, winning the title of best BBQ in Omaha is like being the valedictorian of special ed.   None of the local places seem to be able to beat Famous Daves on a consistent basis.   I still haven't been to a local place that does east Carolina BBQ.   Aside from pork ribs, east Carolina pulled pork is the best reason to eat that oncogenic stuff.
Agreed.  Carolina Q is some of the best food on earth.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What about "Po' Boy's Barbecue" in Gretna?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111222/G ... -tableside
Jane Palmer WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:If you order pork ribs, beef brisket or chicken at Po' Boy's Barbecue in Gretna you'll get to try the Red Dirt Rub special seasoning blend created by chef-owner Clint Dittmar.

Dittmar and his wife, Chris, started the restaurant about a year ago by selling ribs in a parking lot to people travelling to Nebraska football games and Gretna High School games. Customers asked for more items and services, so Dittmar gradually expanded his commercial kitchen to accommodate dine-in and carry-out.
coelestis
New to the Neighborhood

Upvote Hartland BBQ, Downvote Ozark Smoked Meat

Post by coelestis »

Hi,

Please Omahan's, if you haven't tried Hartland BBQ, give it a go.  I work downtown and eat here about once a week for their lunch special of pulled pork sandwich, chips, and drink for about $6 and change.
The true test of pulled pork is that they serve it without sauce added -- just chopped up.  It tastes wonderful without any sauce or you can choose any of the three sauce flavors.  I love the smoke flavor.
The brisket dinner at Hartland is super also.

Recently, about three days apart, I had a brisket dinner, potato salad, and baked beans at both Hartland BBQ and Ozark Smoked Meat Company (114th & Center).
The Ozark Smoked Meat brisket had been put on a slicing machine and shaved super-thin (like yesterday).  The portion was very generous, but it had dried out because it was so thin.  Hartland's brisket was four thick, smoked, moist slices.  Heavenly.  For all three food items the food at Ozark's was inferior to Hartland.  I am sorry to say that the best part of the Ozark meal was the warm, thick slice of buttered bread.

Regards
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

If I had to pick from the list it would be Heartland or Uncle Earnie's but the best in my opinion is Boxer in CB - but not on the list.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Has anyone tried the bbq truck that parks on 90th just north of Maple? Been meaning to stop by, but it's rare that I'm out that way.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:Has anyone tried the bbq truck that parks on 90th just north of Maple? Been meaning to stop by, but it's rare that I'm out that way.
It moved.  Lately its been south of Maple by the gas station next to Hobby Lobby.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Brad wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:Has anyone tried the bbq truck that parks on 90th just north of Maple? Been meaning to stop by, but it's rare that I'm out that way.
It moved.  Lately its been south of Maple by the gas station next to Hobby Lobby.
I have also been interested in trying this, but we are always on our way somewhere else when we see it.  Has anyone tried it?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I had Big Horn BBQ for lunch today.  First time there and it was good!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went to Boxer BBQ tonight in Council Bluffs....  Now my New Favorite BBQ in the Metro!!!

The atmosphere was interesting.  It was like you were in an old person's basement, but the food was excellent!!!

I had Baby Back Ribs, there were Delicious!  There were great with or without sauce.  I ate about 90% of them with no sauce, but they had a Sweet Sauce, Smokey Sauce, and a Spicy Sauce.

We also had some BBQ nachos for an appetizer, they were great as well.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I've heard a lot of good things about that place, will have to check it out.  Also, I've heard Phat Jacks BBQ in Lincoln is awesome and cheap.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

What about the BBQ place in Ashland?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:What about the BBQ place in Ashland?
Parker's?  Just outside Ashland.  That's really good too!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If you are going through Gretna and want to try some BBQ give this place a try.  

We'll Smoke U BBQ

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Well-Smo ... 5761643886

http://www.wellsmokeubbq.com/

They have been open since last September and they always seemt o be busy.  YOu will not go away hunger.  Pay attention to their posted hours as they are not open late evening.  

As I understand it the owners have been doing competative BBQ for quite a while.  They opend a resturaunt in Fremont a few years ago and sold / closed it and then felt they wanted to get back into the business.  They chose Gretna to open up and as an outsider it looks successfull.  I believe the owners live in Valley.

My two favorites on the menue are the Texan.  A Brisket sandwich with Smoked saugage and the Aus-Man  A Brisket snadwich with Provolone cheese and onion rings on it.

Give it a try.

Don't confuse it with the "other"  BBQ place that exists on the oposite side of the highway.  I will not give the name or expain my thoughts on it.  Just be sure you try the one named above!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:

Alway find Parkers to be great.

They are running the restureant in the lodge at Mahoney State park too now.  Took over some time after the first of the year I believe.

http://mahoneygrille.net/the-parkers/
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:

Alway find Parkers to be great.

They are running the restureant in the lodge at Mahoney State park too now.  Took over some time after the first of the year I believe.

http://mahoneygrille.net/the-parkers/

Just went to Parkers yesterday.  Excellent food.
MiracleJ
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MiracleJ »

Brad wrote:Went to Boxer BBQ tonight in Council Bluffs....  Now my New Favorite BBQ in the Metro!!!

The atmosphere was interesting.  It was like you were in an old person's basement, but the food was excellent!!!

I had Baby Back Ribs, there were Delicious!  There were great with or without sauce.  I ate about 90% of them with no sauce, but they had a Sweet Sauce, Smokey Sauce, and a Spicy Sauce.

We also had some BBQ nachos for an appetizer, they were great as well.
Boxer is the best in town!  It's more ridiculous than Cousin Larry!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Swine Dining in old town Bellevue is great.   Good brisket and their All in the Pool sandwich is popular.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I had Phat Jack's in Lincoln Last night.  It was great.  We had Pulled Pork, Brisket, and Burnt Ends.  All really good!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just got word that Boxer BBQ in CB has closed!  What a shame, they had some of the best BBQ in they whole area.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

I can confirm this. My coworkers uncle is the owner. They wanted to stay open through New Year's, but closed down about a week ago. Unfortunate to lose what seemed to be one of the best BBQ places in the Metro.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jason4225 wrote:I can confirm this. My coworkers uncle is the owner. They wanted to stay open through New Year's, but closed down about a week ago. Unfortunate to lose what seemed to be one of the best BBQ places in the Metro.
That sucks for him.  The sad thing is that I have been to CB Famous Dave's twice in the past two years (NOT by my choosing).  The place is never busy, the service is always horrible, and the food is not very good.  Last time we went the AC was broken an it was 90+ degrees out (and in).  Yet, that place stays open and the good places like Boxer don't.

I am not going to say Boxer was blameless.  They place was a dump, not like traditional dumpy BBQ joint, but like creepy old person's basement dumpy.  However once you got past that, the BBQ was awesome!  I also remember them closing really early too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

This is on their web site. any change they are just changing?
Our new 100 seat Reception Hall will be opening in the spring of 2013.
Call 712-325-4227 or email for more information.

http://www.boxerbbq.com/about.php
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Big Horn is horrible, and so far, the poll results show.  I would vote for Jims, but I havent been there in a number of years, so I want to try it again before I submit my vote.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Tried Boyd & Charlies a week ago.  Not bad, mind you...but the Carolina style of sauce doesn't work for me.  Too much vinegar.

Best part were the fries.