Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Post by bigredmed »

I have driven by 3-4 times and I never see any customers. Based on that and my less than exciting meal at some of the other BBQ food trucks, I too will wait for reviews.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Seven Signs that a BBQ restaurant is a Fake:
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/7-w ... e-bbq-spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No more Oklahoma Joe's! Oklahoma Joe's Bar-B-Que plans to change its name to Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que
“It’s not a knock on Oklahoma or the Oklahoma name,” Jeff Stehney, co-owner with his wife Joy told the Kansas City Star . “We are super proud of our Oklahoma beginnings. But it has been 17 years that it has been one hundred percent Kansas City owned. This will better represent the city as one of the top – I think it’s the best – barbeque destinations.”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow. The food quality surely won't change but it does take years to build a strong brand. Hope this doesn't come back to bite them.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Ok, so I cant tell real barbecue from fake and honestly, I'm not sure I care. I let my taste buds rule and if its good, so what. Honestly also, I'm not a huge fan of bbq anyway, maybe because I havent had the good stuff. With that, where are the REAL places in omaha?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

cdub wrote:Ok, so I cant tell real barbecue from fake and honestly, I'm not sure I care.  I let my taste buds rule and if its good, so what.  Honestly also, I'm not a huge fan of bbq anyway, maybe because I havent had the good stuff.  With that, where are the REAL places in omaha?
Hartland BBQ is OK but Parkers is way better. Boxers in CB is great. Uncle Earnies in Cedar Creek is also.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Grow Omaha rumor: BBQ place will open on 20th & Missouri. By a group from Georgia, so, Carolina BBQ?
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Having gone to high school in coastal NC, there is a big different between eastern Carolina, western Carolina, and South Carolina BBQ. A few of the things I miss from NC is a good old fashioned pig picken', fresh seafood, and sugar sand beaches.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

lisanstan wrote:Having gone to high school in coastal NC, there is a big different between eastern Carolina, western Carolina, and South Carolina BBQ. A few of the things I miss from NC is a good old fashioned pig picken', fresh seafood, and sugar sand beaches.
Pig pickin's are delicious. Probably a lot healthier as well.

Would love ready access to proper east Carolina BBQ.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I absolutely love east Carolina vinegar based BBQ.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If only we had a nice transit system between our cities...

Kansas City Barbecue Trail
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

We do..... IT is called I29 :;):
Coyote wrote:If only we had a nice transit system between our cities...

Kansas City Barbecue Trail
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I saw this story online today. Some solid choices, although I would have added LC's BBQ, and skipped Gates, which wasn't very good on my last visit.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nativeomahan wrote:I saw this story online today.  Some solid choices, although I would have added LC's BBQ, and skipped Gates, which wasn't very good on my last visit.
They also missed Hayward's, which I assume is still open. Haven't been in several years but it used to be great.

Gates sliced beef is dynamite, but their ribs tend to be tough, not as meaty, and not as flavorful as Bryant's, Stack's or Hayward's.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'm a huge fan of Jack Stack, Danny Edwards, and oaklahoma joes. Gates just never did anything for me, neither did Arthur Bryants.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The winner in our quest for Omaha's best BBQ is...

Top Billing:
Bill's BBQ, Fat Shack, Tattoo Bob's, Swine Dining;

Also rans:
Hartland, Skeets, Jim Rib Haven, Boxer, We'll Smoke You, Boyd and Charlie's, Doc and Eddies.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omababe wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I saw this story online today.  Some solid choices, although I would have added LC's BBQ, and skipped Gates, which wasn't very good on my last visit.
They also missed Hayward's, which I assume is still open. Haven't been in several years but it used to be great.

Gates sliced beef is dynamite, but their ribs tend to be tough, not as meaty, and not as flavorful as Bryant's, Stack's or Hayward's.

Hayward's is still open. They've recently put some money into it. It's still worth a visit.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I haven't been to Swine Dining yet, but living in Bellevue and hearing all the good remarks, I think I need to go soon.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

skinzfan23 wrote:I haven't been to Swine Dining yet, but living in Bellevue and hearing all the good remarks, I think I need to go soon.
It's about as good as it gets for Metro Omaha.

I'm looking forward to trying the BBQ that goes in where McKenna's BBQ was on Pacific.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From Mgmlot93: Big Horn closed about two weeks ago. Sign up today says Smoking Jay's opening soon. Hiatt Brothers BBQ, the one on 20th & Missouri is opening April 1.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:From Mgmlot93: Big Horn closed about two weeks ago. Sign up today says Smoking Jay's opening soon.
Open. Looked like a good lunch crowd today:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The Jays aren't exactly smoking this year down at the Clink.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A co-worker dined last weekend at Jack Stack's in KC. They mentioned to the waiter that they love KC BBQ as the pickings are so slim here in Omaha. The waiter responded that Jack Stack is planning to open a new restaurant in the next year or so, and it will either be in St. Louis or Omaha.
ryan311
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ryan311 »

Jack Stacks is opening another location in the K.C. area. I don't believe a St. Louis or Omaha rumor although it would be awesome.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

The rumor of Jack Stack in Omaha is not new. At one time, I heard Fiorella's was looking into Midtown Crossing. I don't believe it'll happen, but I'd love it if it did.

Kansas City Joe's have made it clear they aren't expanding further. The originators of the Oklahoma Joes line of grills has started restaurants in Oklahoma, and is supposedly planning to expand.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah, the new Jack Stack in Kansas City is in Lee's Summitt. It's the first one they built from scratch and first Jack Stack that has opened in 5 years.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I would do a lot of terrible, terrible things to get Jack Stack down here... including several that would need to be dealt with by the U.N :(
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ate at Swine Dining in Bellevue for the first time tonight. I will preface this by saying that I am not a huge BBQ connoisseur, but I think this was the best BBQ I have ever had in the Omaha area. I think that it was even better than Arthur Bryant's in KC. The special tonight was a Rib Meat sandwich and two sides for $8.69. I had baked beans, which had baked apples mixed in. I also had the apple crisp. Everything was amazing and this was at 8:30 at night and they close at 9. The only problem was that we were going to order a hamburger for my daughter, but they ran out. Actually, it turned out to be a great thing because we ended up getting a pulled pork sandwich for her instead. She is only 16 months old, but she loved the food as well. I would highly recommend trying Swine Dining if you haven't already. It is located in Old Town Bellevue.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I keep meaning to try Parker's on Pacific. I drive by it several times a week. It appears that it is no longer a bar with barbecue but a BBQ restaurant with beer, as the parking lot is virtually deserted after 8 pm.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I ate at Smoking Jays recently. Pretty decent barbeque, but I thought the prices were high for the portion sizes, especially for the side dishes. I have to like a place that serves fried okra, however.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:I keep meaning to try Parker's on Pacific. I drive by it several times a week. It appears that it is no longer a bar with barbecue but a BBQ restaurant with beer, as the parking lot is virtually deserted after 8 pm.
They still have service problems. We went there again this weekend it took forever to get someone to come to our table and then the servers just seem to disappear for long periods of time.

But they do have a "beer menu" now since the servers never seem to know whats on tap...
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Well FWIW Ozark's Smoked Meat has permanently closed. I know it wasn't terribly popular among the members of this site but it's disappointing for me because they were right down the street and very convenient. However, it's not surprising because something had seemed off about the place lately, the service and quality had become spotty and they had really jacked up prices on some of their items. Stopped in late one Saturday afternoon earlier this summer and they were out of everything but hot links...how the heck does that happen? Read something on their facebook page about a change in ownership in 2014 so that may have something to do with it, plus there's new competition in the area with Dickey's and Hog Wild.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's too bad, I agree that it wasn't very popular with eomaha members, but it was good for lunch a few times a year.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

That's a really big shame. I loved their food and thought it was some of the best barbeque in Omaha. They had really good potato salad.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

A BBQ place, that is new to me at least, is at 20th St. and Missouri Ave in the old Michael's location. I had some of their brisket that was catered to an event. I am not an authority on great BBQ by any stretch of the imagination. However my wife and I and about 20 other people at the catered event really liked their BBQ. I am not sure of the places name since we didn't actually go to their restaurant. I believe it is Hiatt's.

Oh, and by the way, our event was a wine tasting at Old Vine Wine and Spirits on the northeast corner of 168th and Maple. The proprietor is Rick who is a wine wholesaler by day in the area. He has some of the usual suspects plus quite a few that cannot be found elsewhere in Omaha. Plus, he has very competitive prices. Please support him. I like having s wine store just a few paces for my front door. :;):
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Bugeater wrote:Well FWIW Ozark's Smoked Meat has permanently closed. I know it wasn't terribly popular among the members of this site but it's disappointing for me because they were right down the street and very convenient. However, it's not surprising because something had seemed off about the place lately, the service and quality had become spotty and they had really jacked up prices on some of their items. Stopped in late one Saturday afternoon earlier this summer and they were out of everything but hot links...how the heck does that happen? Read something on their facebook page about a change in ownership in 2014 so that may have something to do with it, plus there's new competition in the area with Dickey's and Hog Wild.
This is a bummer. I've had BBQ at Ozark off and on for over 20 years and it's always been solid.. Their Burnt Ends were really good. Last I had take out from them was probably 5 or 6 months ago.. I even had them smoke turkeys for me on multiple Thanksgiving holidays and they always did a nice job..

Even though I only ate take out from this place 5 or 6 times a year, for me, it's a loss...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I saw a promo tonight for channel 6 that says they will have a story at 10PM about a bunch of employees that got stiffed when a local smokehouse closed. They did not say what restaurant it was but from the picture they flashed it was clear its going to be Ozark! What a lowlife despicable act it is when a business closes and will not pay its employees what they owed them.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I saw a promo tonight for channel 6 that says they will have a story at 10PM about a bunch of employees that got stiffed when a local smokehouse closed. They did not say what restaurant it was but from the picture they flashed it was clear its going to be Ozark! What a lowlife despicable act it is when a business closes and will not pay its employees what they owed them.
Yikes, that's really sad. :despond:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I saw a promo tonight for channel 6 that says they will have a story at 10PM about a bunch of employees that got stiffed when a local smokehouse closed. They did not say what restaurant it was but from the picture they flashed it was clear its going to be Ozark! What a lowlife despicable act it is when a business closes and will not pay its employees what they owed them.
Sort of like what a Trump does to his subcontractors ?