Brad
City Council

Re: Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Post by Brad »

Survey Says...

The United States of BBQ: The Best Barbecue From Each of the 50 States

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/the-best-bb ... -jacks-bbq

Nebraska - Phat Jack's BBQ

While the author hasn't been there, I agree with his pick!
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

My wife and I tried out a new BBQ joint on Galvin Road in Bellevue over the weekend that wasn't on Brad's list above -- Big Mike's, which apparently used to be a food truck built into an old school bus, but is now a brick-and-mortar restaurant. Nothing earth shattering, but it was competent BBQ. Better than some places I've been in Omaha, worse than others. Side dishes were underwhelming with the exception of the corn bread "waffle", which is a fun idea (instead of a muffin or bread, it's 1/4 of a belgian waffle made from corn bread). I couldn't believe the price though. Under $15 for two sandwiches, two sides apiece and two drinks. That's probably what will get me back in the door.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

WBR_Tom wrote:My wife and I tried out a new BBQ joint on Galvin Road in Bellevue over the weekend that wasn't on Brad's list above -- Big Mike's, which apparently used to be a food truck built into an old school bus, but is now a brick-and-mortar restaurant. Nothing earth shattering, but it was competent BBQ. Better than some places I've been in Omaha, worse than others. Side dishes were underwhelming with the exception of the corn bread "waffle", which is a fun idea (instead of a muffin or bread, it's 1/4 of a belgian waffle made from corn bread). I couldn't believe the price though. Under $15 for two sandwiches, two sides apiece and two drinks. That's probably what will get me back in the door.

Was curious where on galvon and found their web site.

http://www.bigmikesbbqne.com/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WBR_Tom wrote:wasn't on Brad's list above -- Big Mike's
Cool, I think I saw the (CLOSED) next to a couple of the google search results, but that must have been the food truck.

Can't beat $15 for BBQ!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

For anyone who hasn't tried Swine Dining in Bellevue, they currently have a daily deal $10 for $20 good until 10/14/17:

http://www.dailydealomaha.com/deal/omah ... nmbly=true
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

Anyone tried Tattoo Bob's by White House bar or whatever its called?

I bought a smoker and haven't looked back (Pit Barrel Cooker), but I am tempted to try some of these spots around town (Smoking Jays, Tattoo Bobs). I liked Hog Wild a lot, made it a hungover Sunday tradition while watching NFL games.

I only smoke ribs for the most part, but have done pulled pork and chicken before. Haven't done brisket yet, but want to (but not particularly compelled to)
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

NEDodger wrote:I've never heard of Smokin Barrel. Anyone had it?
Yes, and it's the best brisket I've found in Omaha. Better than many places in Kansas City.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Update from Boxer BBQ
Boxer BBQ on FB wrote:I’m excited to announce that Boxer BBQ will officially be under new ownership on March 1, 2018!
Renea Dieatrick will be the new owner! And along with Jeff Westbrook they are bringing Boxer bbq to the next level! And yes, I will remain on as the Pitt master! The dining room will be open till 8pm and the fryer will soon be back in action! So you can get your long overdue order of DEEP FRIED BREAD PUDDING! And, as soon as things get going.....the Friday night smoked prime rib dinner! Also, coming back to the menu is the awesome Cod plank, Breaded Shrimp and our huge Chicken tender dinners! And of course the French fries, onion rings and more! I’ll be smoking up all the yummy meats you have come to love, I thank you for that! And I want to thank you all for many many years of support down here Boxer BBQ, Renea and Jeff are looking forward to your support....for many more years of fun to come!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Hog Stop at 2327 S. 24th St in CB is closing and will convert to a food truck operation.

https://www.nonpareilonline.com/busines ... hKHqpp81jw
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

For those of you who work during the day, Smokin' Barrel BBQ in Millard has added dinner hours from 5-7 pm Wednesday through Friday evenings. They are in an industrial shopping plaza just to the south of Deerfield Place. (East of 138th & Discovery Drive.) I still maintain it's the best brisket in Omaha; it rivals KC joints in quality.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HskrFanMike wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:28 pm For those of you who work during the day, Smokin' Barrel BBQ in Millard has added dinner hours from 5-7 pm Wednesday through Friday evenings. They are in an industrial shopping plaza just to the south of Deerfield Place. (East of 138th & Discovery Drive.) I still maintain it's the best brisket in Omaha; it rivals KC joints in quality.
Still on my list to try out..

Thanks for the update...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:28 pm For those of you who work during the day, Smokin' Barrel BBQ in Millard has added dinner hours from 5-7 pm Wednesday through Friday evenings. They are in an industrial shopping plaza just to the south of Deerfield Place. (East of 138th & Discovery Drive.) I still maintain it's the best brisket in Omaha; it rivals KC joints in quality.
They had a post on Facebook the other day that said something along the lines of “now I remember why we don’t do dinner service”. Hope it’s getting better for them.
yman97
Home Owners Association

Post by yman97 »

Smokin' Barrel is my go-to spot for great brisket. Easily the best in town. Agree that it rivals KC places like Joe's.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

That’s it. I’m hitting this place up over the weekend.. If the brisket is that good, I’m not waiting any longer.. I see on their web page they’re only open 11am-2pm on Saturday. .and Friday evening 5pm-7pm.. So I have a small window..

This is my plan at least :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

For the past 40+ years I always made at least 2 annual trips to KC for, among other things, the fantastic barbecue. This will be the first time since I was a teenager when that won’t happen. I really miss “road trips” especially now that I am retired.
Maybe 2021 will be a better year?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Porkybutts has great brisket. Their construct of BBQ sauces is delicious. Mild medium and hot. Basically, the same sauce with increasing heat. The steps up are detectable, but the hot is not so hot that you can’t taste anything.

Ribs are a bit better than Parker’s. Their sausages are really good.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:53 pm For the past 40+ years I always made at least 2 annual trips to KC for, among other things, the fantastic barbecue. This will be the first time since I was a teenager when that won’t happen. I really miss “road trips” especially now that I am retired.
Maybe 2021 will be a better year?
My last couple of BBQ attempts in KC were both mediocre. The most recent being a really disappointing experience at Jack Stack. My in-laws are moving back there, so I'm sure we'll be down there at least a couple of times a year in the coming years, so I'll get a chance to try a lot more. I'm looking forward to it.

My last great BBQ discovery was probably Butcher BBQ Stand in Wellston, OK: https://www.yelp.com/biz/butcher-bbq-stand-wellston
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Jack Stack has never disappointed me in over a dozen visits, but I don’t think the chain has the best ribs, brisket, burnt ends, pulled pork or chicken in KC (they do have the best beans and sausage, IMO). But they are consistently good across the board, plus they offer an upscale atmosphere. Other individual places have the best this or best that. All of them are better than anything I have recently sampled in metro Omaha.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

We were introduced to Jack Stack's in KC about ten years ago by some friends. As far as I'm concerned, I will never be able to do anything good enough to pay back those friends. Jack Stack's (again, IMO) is hands-down the best BBQ I have had anywhere. As noted above by another, the upscale atmosphere helps. We often eat at Jack Stack's while in KC then fill a cooler to bring home to Omaha. I've eaten a lot of BBQ from a lot of places, particularly in KC, and none have come close. Oh, some have their own particular flavor or charm. We've had good places in Omaha, too, but we often look at each other and say "it's just not Jack Stack's." But, like pizza, BBQ is a personal preference and I respect whatever you enjoy.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

First time I had Jack Stack was like an awakening or something. I never before knew BBQ could be that good. I've only had it twice, though.

In Omaha, I've only had Boyd and Charlies, Famous Dave's, Jim's Rib Haven and Hartland BBQ. Might have had Hog Wild as part of some work lunch before, but I don't really consider that as having had it. Of all those, I've had Jim's the most, so I must prefer it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Our current Go-To BBQ places are:

Porkybutts in Omaha
Boxer in Council Bluffs (New Location is great)
Phat Jacks in Lincoln
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I still contend Tired Texan has some of the best ribs, brisket and burnt ends in the Omaha BBQ scene..The place has never disappointed me in the 10 or so times I’ve sampled their offerings over the past couple years..the only downside is they’re on the pricey side.. Big Jim’s on Ames Ave might have the best ribs in Omaha..

I still need to try Smokin’ Barrel...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I enjoy Tired Texan, but I wish they had more meat choices on their menu. Typically, it's only brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. No chicken/turkey. No hot link/sausage. Burnt Ends are only available sporadically. I get annoyed if I have to check a restaurant's FB page daily to see whether they're going to be serving the special I want to eat or not.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

This is not Omaha specific but statewide. I thought I would put this here, though, rather than starting a new topic.

Here is a story/ranking listing someone's opinion of the best BBQ in each of the 50 states.

For Nebraska, the list states Grandpa’s Ribs and Secret Sauce in Lincoln.

I'm not familiar with this, and it may be just a food truck based on a Google search, but the story in the link implies that it is a brick and more business.

I won't discount the place since I have not tried it, but with all the other places that are discussed, this surprised me at the pick.
Lincoln, Nebraska: Grandpa’s Ribs and Secret Sauce
What started as a side venture for Terry Rupert in the ’80s is now a flourishing BBQ business. Even though it had humble beginnings as an enterprise, it quickly expanded. Terry named the place after his elderly friend, who was also his neighbor.
Sadly, age caught up to Terry, and he prefers to stay home these days. But if you run into him at his joint, one can always expect an unexpected treat from him. If you’re lucky, it will be the restaurant’s biggest hit: fresh, delectable briskets.

https://docjournals.com/djbestbbqcopy/? ... LIeu1jHRdI