Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I saw a promo tonight for channel 6 that says they will have a story at 10PM about a bunch of employees that got stiffed when a local smokehouse closed. They did not say what restaurant it was but from the picture they flashed it was clear its going to be Ozark! What a lowlife despicable act it is when a business closes and will not pay its employees what they owed them.
Sort of like what a Trump does to his subcontractors ?

I don't like the stories of Trump short changing and stiffing some of his contractors either. Trump can be a mean son of buck and a dirty snake but he cant be any worse or riskier then continuing the Clinton or Bush dynasties. Like him or not Trump rescued us from those 2 creepy families and I for one am eternally grateful.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I saw a promo tonight for channel 6 that says they will have a story at 10PM about a bunch of employees that got stiffed when a local smokehouse closed. They did not say what restaurant it was but from the picture they flashed it was clear its going to be Ozark! What a lowlife despicable act it is when a business closes and will not pay its employees what they owed them.

I don't like the stories of Trump short changing and stiffing some of his contractors either. Trump can be a mean son of buck and a dirty snake but he cant be any worse or riskier then continuing the Clinton or Bush dynasties. Like him or not Trump rescued us from those 2 creepy families and I for one am eternally grateful.
Or his 'greenmailing' companies in his Gordon Gecko raiding phase...
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Or his 'greenmailing' companies in his Gordon Gecko raiding phase...

Honest truth about Trump. He had me at "Wall."
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:
What a lowlife despicable act it is when a business closes and will not pay its employees what they owed them.
:)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So now the Best BBQ in Omaha thread turns into a Pro/ Con Trump thread. :?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nebugeater wrote:So now the Best BBQ in Omaha thread turns into a Pro/ Con Trump thread. :?
Coyote started it and since he is no doubt the largest contributor to this forum he should be entitled to the latitude to veer off course once in awhile if he feels like it. Other then that might I suggest one of those hand held foam stress balls for you to squeeze when you are confronted with unbearable stresses such as these. :bridea:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
nebugeater wrote:So now the Best BBQ in Omaha thread turns into a Pro/ Con Trump thread. :?
Coyote started it and since he is no doubt the largest contributor to this forum he should be entitled to the latitude to veer off course once in awhile if he feels like it. Other then that might I suggest one of those hand held foam stress balls for you to squeeze when you are confronted with unbearable stresses such as these. :bridea:
Just goes to show you that if Trump becomes POTUS, it will have a detrimental effect on ALL topics of discussion. I'm willing to give Hillary much more latitude than normal, rather than face the prospect of Trump as POTUS.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Back to the BBQ stuff now. Due to the storms last night the weatherman Rusty was hogging all the time on the newscast and they never did show the piece about the BBQ joint that stiffed its employees!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Going back on topic; I've tried a couple of new places as of late.

Hog Wild Pit BBQ: Regional chain with 3 locations in town. Not bad; probably on par with Dickeys. Is what it is.

Ox & Bull Food Truck (Leahy Mall on Thursdays): A step up from Hog Wild.

Smokin Barrel Food Truck (Millard on weekend afternoons): Best brisket I've had north of Kansas City. I've got to go back and hit this again. Pricey ($10 for a big sandwich)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I almost had a heart attack yesterday when I read that Phat Jacks was going to build somewhere in West O, but then I read it again and it said they were building on West O St. in Lincoln.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I went to Parker's Smoke House in Ashland on Saturday and had ribs and then went to Famous Dave's today in Council Bluffs and had ribs. The winner of this Best Ribs contest easily was Famous Dave's. Both places had good ribs but Famous Dave's were much better. Both of these were pretty good meals with the low light of the deal being my desert at Parker's that cost 5.99. They call the desert the Mug Cake which is nothing more then a glass mug stuffed with chocolate cake, ice cream and Hershey's syrup. Anyway the cake was as hard as rocks. I don't know maybe the cake is supposed to be hard but a guy could blow out a tooth on one of those cake rocks.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Hands down, best BBQ in Omaha is Fat Shack. Period.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Has anyone heard of Cubby's on 42nd & Sorenson selling Brisket on Wednesdays?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:Has anyone heard of Cubby's on 42nd & Sorenson selling Brisket on Wednesdays?

Pretty tough location to try and get to on a Wednesday. I don't think I have ever been in that Cubby's. The one there on Highway 36 by I-680 North has a lot of fried foods in their hot deli; Chester's Chicken.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:Has anyone heard of Cubby's on 42nd & Sorenson selling Brisket on Wednesdays?

I heard of a few people getting shot there before so uh at least stay away from there after dark.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After reading about Joe's BBQ coming to Lincoln and wondering why Lincoln and not Omaha, I had to make a list to see what we had here.

Omaha Metro Area BBQ List (2/14/2016)

North East:
Hartland Bar-B-Que - 5402 NW Radial Hwy
Jim's Rib Haven - 3801 Ames Ave
Bill's BBQ - 4414 N 24th St
Fat BBQ Shack - 7440 N 30th St

South East:
Hiatt Family BBQ - 1921 Missouri Ave
Smoking Jay's - 2524 S 13th St

North West:
Boyd and Charlies - 2706 N Main St

South West:
Smokin Barrel BBQ - 138th and Millard Ave, Millard Ave

Gretna:
We'll Smoke You BBQ - 11773 US-6

Bellevue:
Swine Dining BBQ - 204 E Mission Ave

Council Bluffs
Kansas City BBQ - 3515 Metro Dr
Hog Stop BBQ - 2327 S 24th St
Mark's Smok'n BBQ - Mall of the Bluffs

Chains:
Dickey's
Hog Wild
Famous Daves
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's a little misleading on Joe's coming to Lincoln. Most of the lists where it was ranked were based on the KC locations that are now Joe's Kansas City. Hopefully this version is good too.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:It's a little misleading on Joe's coming to Lincoln. Most of the lists where it was ranked were based on the KC locations that are now Joe's Kansas City. Hopefully this version is good too.

Greg
From what I understand it is the same other than the name being customized. Is that mistaken?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:After reading about Joe's BBQ coming to Lincoln and wondering why Lincoln and not Omaha, I had to make a list to see what we had here.

Why not?

The Haymarket is developing nicely and good to see they want in.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Why not?

Nothing against Lincoln, just still surprised a city the size of Omaha doesn't seem to have a "Marquee" BBQ restaurant, however Lincoln, roughly 1/4 of the population size already has one and it seems like another is on its way.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:

Nothing against Lincoln, just still surprised a city the size of Omaha doesn't seem to have a "Marquee" BBQ restaurant, however Lincoln, roughly 1/4 of the population size already has one and it seems like another is on its way.
Don't fret just yet.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:

Omaha is such a melting pot of good restaurants across the board; you'd be hard pressed to say one style dominates as best in the city (maybe a steakhouse perhaps?)..

But there just doesn't seem to be a BBQ passion in Omaha.. many BBQ places have opened and serve good, solid BBQ seem to lose steam and eventually close. I find that odd. I grew up in Omaha and love BBQ..

Strouds, a fried chicken joint, decided to expand to Omaha and from a regional standpoint, that was a good get for Omaha.. BBQ places, for whatever the reason, have a hard time catching on here...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

All that said, I do need to hit that list I made. Couple places on there I have not been to, and a couple others where its been way too long. May be I am missing out on something?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:All that said, I do need to hit that list I made. Couple places on there I have not been to, and a couple others where its been way too long. May be I am missing out on something?

Just giving you a bad time.

As I send time in both Omaha and Lincoln and with the job change it is closer to 50/50 now than before when it was tilted a lot towards Omaha I prefer my choices in Omaha most of the time. That being said there are some nice spots in Lincoln and that list seems to be growing. I would say tehy are playing catch up.

Another thing that I think draws Lincoln first in some cases is the perception that it is more of a college town student wise.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:

We should put together a list of BBQ joints that have hit the RIP ejection button over the years.. I bet it would be a list about as long as the open/available BBQ joints list you put together...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

Brad wrote:After reading about Joe's BBQ coming to Lincoln and wondering why Lincoln and not Omaha, I had to make a list to see what we had here.

Omaha Metro Area BBQ List (2/14/2016)

North East:
Hartland Bar-B-Que - 5402 NW Radial Hwy
Jim's Rib Haven - 3801 Ames Ave
Bill's BBQ - 4414 N 24th St
Fat BBQ Shack - 7440 N 30th St

South East:
Hiatt Family BBQ - 1921 Missouri Ave
Smoking Jay's - 2524 S 13th St

North West:
Boyd and Charlies - 2706 N Main St

South West:
Smokin Barrel BBQ - 138th and Millard Ave, Millard Ave

Gretna:
We'll Smoke You BBQ - 11773 US-6

Bellevue:
Swine Dining BBQ - 204 E Mission Ave

Council Bluffs
Kansas City BBQ - 3515 Metro Dr
Hog Stop BBQ - 2327 S 24th St
Mark's Smok'n BBQ - Mall of the Bluffs

Chains:
Dickey's
Hog Wild
Famous Daves
The list omits Skeets in NE omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I really don't think I have ever had good BBQ in Omaha. I am sure there is some smaller places that do it right, but I never have much luck. Our chains are not good either. I am surprised Famous Dave's is still around.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I've never heard of Smokin Barrel. Anyone had it?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:I really don't think I have ever had good BBQ in Omaha. I am sure there is some smaller places that do it right, but I never have much luck. Our chains are not good either. I am surprised Famous Dave's is still around.
I agree. But that is both the nature of BBQ and the nature of Omahans. The nature of BBQ is variability such that sometimes a given rack of ribs will get dry or over/undersmoked. This means that you can go to a place and have killer ribs and then next time not.

Omahans tend to either dine out a lot and as foodies come to expect a certain quality and if a place disappoints, not come back. Or, they go out with the family for special occasions and they want to celebrate.

If you are in a celebratory mood, you want the event to be good. Your daughter who really likes salmon and her boyfriend who loves steaks and you go out. You can do BBQ where the food is variable, one-note, and the room smells like the firetrucks left an hour ago, or you can go to Charleston's. Yes, it may be plastic food, but you will get BBQ, she will enjoy her salmon, and he will enjoy his steak and you won't have to dry clean your blue jeans to get the smoke out.

KC has strip mall BBQ that figured out how to make good food and not smell like you set Kentucky on fire. They figured out how to cook more than one kind of thing, and they are successful.

Why restauranteurs here can't seem to get this is beyond me.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Isn't the original McKenna's still open?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:Isn't the original McKenna's still open?
Not that I know of...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Was the original one on 73rd and Pacific? If so, that closed and became Parker's BBQ, then it also closed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
Was the original one on 73rd and Pacific? If so, that closed and became Parker's BBQ, then it also closed.
Right.

Unless there is some other McKenna's at another location we are unaware of-

Closed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Duh! I was thinking of Parker's. I meant to ask if the original Parkers is still open. I don't go that way very often but I think it was open the last time I did.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:Duh! I was thinking of Parker's. I meant to ask if the original Parkers is still open. I don't go that way very often but I think it was open the last time I did.

I believe the original Parker's is the one in Lincoln. They are still open but in a new location in Lincoln near 84th & O St. The one along Hyw 6 near Ashland was their #2 and they are still open and seem to be busy every time I drive by that is a typical meal time. At some point in time they ran the restaurant at Mahoney St Park but they no longer do that and I believe they exited there contract early for this too.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:
Omababe wrote:Duh! I was thinking of Parker's. I meant to ask if the original Parkers is still open. I don't go that way very often but I think it was open the last time I did.

I believe the original Parker's is the one in Lincoln. They are still open but in a new location in Lincoln near 84th & O St. The one along Hyw 6 near Ashland was their #2 and they are still open and seem to be busy every time I drive by that is a typical meal time. At some point in time they ran the restaurant at Mahoney St Park but they no longer do that and I believe they exited there contract early for this too.
They dumped Mahoney to do the McKennas location. They still have the restaurant in Neb City IIRC.

McKennas location needs to get a priest and some holy water. Nothing succeeds there.

For me, the variability was much worse there than in Ashland and even though Ashland has a bigger pit/kitchen and cooks more meat, the place never smells smokey and your clothes don't bring home that "down home hickory scent".

They left Mahoney because Mahoney wanted a Sudexo type group and they wanted to do catering and run a restaurant. Getting that corner bar in the main lodge sounded like it took death threats and black mail photos just to get them permission to spend their money on it. Never did let them advertise it much.

So MSP got their craptastic food back. Ever notice that when the weather is nice and you feel like a drive, you never hear anyone suggest going out to Mahoney anymore?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

The "original" Parkers I'm thinking of is out on the "old road" by Ashland. I don't go that way that often but IIRC it was open the last time I went by.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omababe wrote:The "original" Parkers I'm thinking of is out on the "old road" by Ashland. I don't go that way that often but IIRC it was open the last time I went by.
Lincoln is where they started.
Oak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Oak »

The original Parkers was started in Denton, a small town about 10 miles southwest of Lincoln. The owner's son and his wife branched out to the location at 66th and O. It has since moved to 84th & O. The owner of the original Parkers in Denton sold the building and it was leveled and a convenience store now stands in it's location. I believe there's a third Parkers in Nebraska City.
admiralArchArch
New to the Neighborhood

Post by admiralArchArch »

According to Yelp posts, the Parker's on Pacific St. is closed.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/parkers-smokehouse-omaha

Too bad, it lasted only two years, give-or-take.