Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers

Post by nebugeater »

In the Dining notes section of today's OWH it was mentioned that this chain was coming to Nebraska with the first location opening near 72'nd & 370.  Anyone familiar with them?  If so, what do you think?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10264614

Kansas-based Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers is coming to Nebraska.

Pharmacy and real estate owner Mark Nyquist of Lindsborg and Lawrence, Kan., has signed an agreement to develop seven stores in the Omaha, Lincoln and Kearney areas.

Nyquist said he hopes to open the area's first Freddy's in Papillion, near the Starbucks at 72nd Street and Nebraska Highway 370, in August. He expects to open another in the Omaha area later this year, and a third in Council Bluffs before taking the concept west.

Nyquist said the stores will be held by Nebraska Custard, of which he is the sole owner.

Mark Scholler, a representative at the chain's Wichita headquarters, described Freddy's as a simpler version of Culver's. "Just steakburgers, Chicago-style hotdogs, custard and frozen treats."

http://www.freddysfrozencustard.com/

From their web site it looks like they have a bucnk of growth going on right now.
joebob12
New to the Neighborhood

Post by joebob12 »

Sounds like Cozmos when they first opened. Menu is almost identical.

Man, I miss that place....
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone ever hear any new updates on this.  As of today their web site still says Omaha is one of the locations opening in 2009.

http://www.freddysfrozencustard.com/Loc ... fault.aspx

With the economy it would be likely that this is on hold but the web site appears to be updated in other areas.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Firm sees good fit in Omaha
Christine Laue WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Dreiling also plans to open the Omaha area's first Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers in August or September and a second Freddy's three to six months later. Because he is negotiating leases, he declined to identify the sites but said the first is in Papillion and the second is in Omaha. Plans announced in 2008 by a different Freddy's franchisee for a restaurant in Papillion fell through, so Nebraska was wide open, he said. (He also plans to open Freddy's in Grand Island and Lincoln in late 2010.)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looked like they are nearly open when I was that way today.  There were a few people going in and out and carrying drinks out.  Guessing that they were serving some for training and probably invite only.  

JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

Where is this located at?
cwill
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cwill »

JPenny wrote:Where is this located at?
In the Papillion Shadow Lake center, in front of HyVee, across from Red Robin.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The website says they are now open in Papllion.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

thanks! ill have to go check it out sometime
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Eating there today, I'll give you guys a review.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Tastes like Culvers.  Tasty but small fries though.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Three of us ate lunch there and we all liked it.  The fries are real skinny, but good, and not greasy.  The burgers are fine, as are the Chicago style hot dogs.  Prices are reasonable.  The interior is rather fun...sort of like a 50s or 60s diner.  You can check out some pictures on http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/ ... _id=416404
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

On Thursday when I was in the area at Noon I see that the Freddy's in Council Bluffs was open.  Must be really recent.  I am sure it was not open last week.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Grow Omaha Min. on KFAB said that a third location will be built near 168th & Maple.
bubba
New to the Neighborhood

New Development @ 168th and Maple

Post by bubba »

Saw some ground being broke at 168th and Maple
south of McD's / west of Target. Heard it might be a
http://www.freddysusa.com/

but not 100% sure.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to Grow Omaha, the 168 and Maple location is almost ready to open.

This will be their third Metro Omaha Location - Omaha, Papillion, Council Bluffs
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Brad wrote:According to Grow Omaha, the 168 and Maple location is almost ready to open.

This will be their third Metro Omaha Location - Omaha, Papillion, Council Bluffs
Yeah they were almost ready to open when I went in there for lunch the other day ; )

But yes I can confirm the Freddy's on Maple is open and just as good as the Papillion one.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers

Post by skinzfan23 »

Freddy's Frozen Custard coming to Millard
It will be built, possibly this summer, on the southwest corner of 136th and Q Streets, said Blake Bauer, CEO of HCI Hospitality in Manhattan, Kan. The Omaha Planning Board approved a preliminary plan this week for the corner, adjacent to Deerfield Plaza
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Freddy's Frozen Custard coming to Millard
It will be built, possibly this summer, on the southwest corner of 136th and Q Streets, said Blake Bauer, CEO of HCI Hospitality in Manhattan, Kan. The Omaha Planning Board approved a preliminary plan this week for the corner, adjacent to Deerfield Plaza
I used to work at a business in Deerfield, so I know the area well, but I I'm having trouble visualizing where this is going to go.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Freddy's Frozen Custard coming to Millard
I used to work at a business in Deerfield, so I know the area well, but I I'm having trouble visualizing where this is going to go.
Same here. I am guessing in the Old Baker's parking lot or KFC is going away???
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is there enough room in the Triangle, at the "SW corner of 136th & Q"?

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

My guess would be the Baker's parking lot.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I haven't figured all of this out. I have worked on this franchise's projects before and this one has a different name not I am not sure what they are doing...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another Freddy's is going to be built just to the east of the Walmart on 180th and W Center?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jeff Beals if Grow Omaha said the Millard location will be on a pad site in front if the old Bakers.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Brad wrote:Jeff Beals if Grow Omaha said the Millard location will be on a pad site in front if the old Bakers.
That's exactly where its going up. Its right in the corner of the old Bakers parking lot. They started digging last week. I never been real fond of custard or the name Freddy, but I will give it a try at least once. Sure would of preferred a Five Guys. I ate at Smashburger on 120th &L last week for the first time. That was a bad mistake I will never make again!
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Brad wrote:Jeff Beals if Grow Omaha said the Millard location will be on a pad site in front if the old Bakers.
That's exactly where its going up. Its right in the corner of the old Bakers parking lot. They started digging last week. I never been real fond of custard or the name Freddy, but I will give it a try at least once. Sure would of preferred a Five Guys. I ate at Smashburger on 120th &L last week for the first time. That was a bad mistake I will never make again!
Speaking of the Baker's, is anything going to go in there? That shopping center has been a ghost town for almost 10 years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BPHusker wrote:Speaking of the Baker's, is anything going to go in there?  That shopping center has been a ghost town for almost 10 years.
Speaking of Bakers...
How long has that been gone. I used to use that post office at the south end a lot , and I know if has been at least since 2002? that something major(ish) was in that strip. They have a nice medical building going up to the west, but everything south of Q down towards 132nd (besides an Auto store and a Runza) seems to have vacated this stretch.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Coyote wrote:
BPHusker wrote:Speaking of the Baker's, is anything going to go in there?  That shopping center has been a ghost town for almost 10 years.
Speaking of Bakers...
How long has that been gone. I used to use that post office at the south end a lot , and I know if has been at least since 2002? that something major(ish) was in that strip. They have a nice medical building going up to the west, but everything south of Q down towards 132nd (besides an Auto store and a Runza) seems to have vacated this stretch.
Baker's Deerfield closed on October 1, 2011. There was a Walgreen's next door until they moved to the NW corner of 132nd and Q. The Millard DMV was in that strip mall as well.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

BPHusker wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Speaking of the Baker's, is anything going to go in there? That shopping center has been a ghost town for almost 10 years.
The flea market that used to be at Rod Kushs old place on 72nd and L moved into Bakers old slot a little more then a year ago. I think its going to be there awhile too. It is bizarre to walk around that mangy flea market in the same place that once housed one of the finest grocery stores in Omaha. Some kind of video production studio is opening up where Walgreens used to be. A day care just opened up a week or two back where the King buffet was next to the post office. They must of spent 100,000 plus building that day care. It just opened and it looks like its full of tots already. There is also the True Value hardware store, Haircrafters and a couple other businesses. That flea market has a hundred booths or more in it. If they charge each one of those booth owners $50- $100 a month it must give them enough to cover the rent for the building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
I'll post a cell phone photo after dinner, they have some walls up.
Also, the other site I mentioned, on south 180th is being worked on, flags out, grading begun...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Freddy's has rather crummy little burgers (maybe 1/10 of a pound of beef), but their skinny French fries are excellent. I like how you have the option of eating your fries with ketchup or with their mayo-ketchup mix.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I have seen storage sheds built in peoples backyards that were better constructed then that. I'm sure it will look a lot better when they get that big fake ice cream cone on the front of the building. "Rather crummy little burgers" the guy posted. Uh oh that don't sound good at all. If that's the case then this is going to be a "one and done" for me. How much those crummy little burgers cost is key too. If it is like the old Sams down on 30th and St Mary where you got 3 crummy little burgers for a $1 then I might eat there twice a week. If those crummy little burgers cost $3 each then I will eat there once every two years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I would put Freddy's burgers up higher than a lot of other Fast Food Burgers.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

We just ate at Freddy's in CB last night. I would say that they are very similar to Culvers. I think Culvers has better buns though.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Freddy's on 180th:

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:We just ate at Freddy's in CB last night.  I would say that they are very similar to Culvers.  I think Culvers has better buns though.

Interesting. I wouldn't put them anywhere closing to Culvers on anything but there versions of ice cream. Even then Culvers wins
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:We just ate at Freddy's in CB last night.  I would say that they are very similar to Culvers.  I think Culvers has better buns though.

Interesting. I wouldn't put them anywhere closing to Culvers on anything but there versions of ice cream.  Even then Culvers wins
I was meaning that their offerings are very similar to Culvers. I like Culvers better overall as well. Plus the fact that Culvers has fish and other meals that Freddy's doesn't offer.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Interesting. I wouldn't put them anywhere closing to Culvers on anything but there versions of ice cream.  Even then Culvers wins
I was meaning that their offerings are very similar to Culvers.  I like Culvers better overall as well.  Plus the fact that Culvers has fish and other meals that Freddy's doesn't offer.
Got ya. That is not how I read your reply.

One thing that I like on Culvers menu that you may not expect to be really good or have even tried there is the fried chicken