Blue Sushi

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MythOldMarket
New to the Neighborhood

Jobbers canyon turning to.....

Post by MythOldMarket »

Talking with a couple of friends last night and they said Blue Sushi was making a possible bid for the place. Interesting.
Big E
City Council

Re: Jobbers canyon turning to.....

Post by Big E »

MythOldMarket wrote:Talking with a couple of friends last night and they said Blue Sushi was making a possible bid for the place. Interesting.
To open another Blue Sushi?  How much sushi would you have to sell in that joint to pay the rent?

Between O, Matsu, and now Urban on the weekend nights, I'd question whether the downtown Asian-fusion-sushi dollar wouldn't be getting spread a bit thin if Blue opened.  Oh well, the winner would be happy I'm sure.

-Big E
Stable genius.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

MythOldMarket wrote:Talking with a couple of friends last night and they said Blue Sushi was making a possible bid for the place. Interesting.
It may not be Blue specifically but the owners of Blue which own Roja etc. also.  Maybe they will locate a 2nd version of own of their existing places or perhaps an entirely new concept.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

j4nu wrote:
It may not be Blue specifically but the owners of Blue which own Roja etc. also.  Maybe they will locate a 2nd version of own of their existing places or perhaps an entirely new concept.
And Red Lounge.

Thats true.  I go $50 bucks on white...  Who's taking green
MythOldMarket
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MythOldMarket »

Brad wrote:
j4nu wrote:
And Red Lounge.

Thats true.  I go $50 bucks on white...  Who's taking green
If I'm not mistaken, they already own Bianco Italian Ristorante. If they go green, it should be Verdi.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I spoke to one of the owners at Red last week and evidently they have several plans in the works. I was a tad tipsy, but I believe he said they are going to open a place in the old Jobbers Canyon that will be a Blue on one floor and a lounge similar to Red on the other. He also said they will be opening another version of Blue called Baby Blue or something like that in Legacy and they have another Blue in the works for KC.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sweet! Thanks ThatGuy.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hope you were not too tipsy :;):, because that is great info!
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Well, I just checked the Legacy website and it lists Baby Blue as coming soon. So I can tell you I got that much right!
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

ThatGuy wrote:I spoke to one of the owners at Red last week and evidently they have several plans in the works. I was a tad tipsy, but I believe he said they are going to open a place in the old Jobbers Canyon that will be a Blue on one floor and a lounge similar to Red on the other. He also said they will be opening another version of Blue called Baby Blue or something like that in Legacy and they have another Blue in the works for KC.
It wouldn't work logistically I'm sure, but wouldn't it be cool if each floor was a color?  Red, Blue, White or some combination with the menus and atmosphere to match.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

j4nu wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:I spoke to one of the owners at Red last week and evidently they have several plans in the works. I was a tad tipsy, but I believe he said they are going to open a place in the old Jobbers Canyon that will be a Blue on one floor and a lounge similar to Red on the other. He also said they will be opening another version of Blue called Baby Blue or something like that in Legacy and they have another Blue in the works for KC.
It wouldn't work logistically I'm sure, but wouldn't it be cool if each floor was a color?  Red, Blue, White or some combination with the menus and atmosphere to match.
I pretty much assumed that would be what they do actually.
btod
New to the Neighborhood

Post by btod »

too bad they didn't put a hiro down there instead.  been to blue and am not impressed at all with the food.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

were they talking of buying or renting?

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/2/1/ ... 359186.pdf
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Confirmed in the Feb. 26th Omaha World-Herald.  Blue will open later this spring on 12th St.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Blue Sushi restaurant planned in Old Market
Omaha World Herald wrote:The Omaha fellows behind Blue Sushi, Roja Mexican and Bianco Italian restaurants plan to open a flagship Blue Sushi restaurant and banquet facility in the Old Market this summer. The first floor, he said, will have the same sleek look and feel as the original Blue Sushi, which opened near 144th Street and West Maple Road in fall 2002. The second floor will be "darker, louder, lounge-ier and maybe a little younger," Hogan said, but still full-service.

Hogan said the new banquet hall, a 300-seat catering facility on the building's third floor, will open about two months later and provide a location for parties and events handled by the company's Red, White and Blue Catering division.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Blue Sushi restaurant planned in Old Market
Omaha World Herald wrote:The Omaha fellows behind Blue Sushi, Roja Mexican and Bianco Italian restaurants plan to open a flagship Blue Sushi restaurant and banquet facility in the Old Market this summer. The first floor, he said, will have the same sleek look and feel as the original Blue Sushi, which opened near 144th Street and West Maple Road in fall 2002. The second floor will be "darker, louder, lounge-ier and maybe a little younger," Hogan said, but still full-service.

Hogan said the new banquet hall, a 300-seat catering facility on the building's third floor, will open about two months later and provide a location for parties and events handled by the company's Red, White and Blue Catering division.
And if run right, they will roll in the green....
Raraavis
Library Board

Blue Sushi - Old Market, Shops of Legacy, Aksarben Village

Post by Raraavis »

Blue will be taking over the Jobbers Canyon location in the Old Market and opening a location in the Shops of Legacy.  Perhaps this should go in the rumor section but it looks like they may be moving into Aksarben village as well.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10268241
SarahEatsOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SarahEatsOmaha »

Thank God I won't have to drive so far west for sushi anymore.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They are already starting work on the place.
DTO
onehunglow
New to the Neighborhood

Post by onehunglow »

that is awesome!!!  love their sushi!   the one out west is always too packed anyway.  hard to get in there on the weekends and with so many people moving downtown, this will be nothing but a great thing for all
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Blue Renovations:

Kind of sad to destroy a brand new brewery!
SarahEatsOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SarahEatsOmaha »

Has anyone been by to check out the renovations recently?  I work out west now and can't spy on stuff downtown anymore. :(
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Could the kettles be used to make sake??? :)  Wouldn't that be the |expletive|!  A local, micro-brewed sake!  (I don't know if it's possible...I'm just an idea man, like Swift).
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Could the kettles be used to make sake??? :)  Wouldn't that be the |expletive|!  A local, micro-brewed sake!  (I don't know if it's possible...I'm just an idea man, like Swift).
Or a Japanese beer - and Ice Cold Sapporo is awesome!
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

onehunglow wrote:that is awesome!!!  love their sushi!   the one out west is always too packed anyway.  hard to get in there on the weekends and with so many people moving downtown, this will be nothing but a great thing for all
are there any stats that show how many people will be moving downtown???

just curious.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Has anyone heard anything regarding opening dates for the Blue Sushi location downtown?  The sign out front says "Summer 08" so we should be getting close if they still plan on hitting this deadline.  

I know that I walked past on Sunday, and there were workers inside, so they're really pushing to get stuff done, working 7 days a week.  From what I can see, they've got the bar built out (not finished though, still needs a top, and whatever materials they're going to cover the wood frame with), and several benches built along the walls downstairs.  No clue as to how far upstairs is.  There also appeared to be a bit of furniture arriving on-site, which means they're closer than it may look.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

THey also have a sign up on the building. I don't get the sign. It's a sushi restaurant but the sign screams Captain America. Very odd.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:THey also have a sign up on the building. I don't get the sign. It's a sushi restaurant but the sign screams Captain America. Very odd.
If you don't eat raw salmon with miso honey sauce and fried squid heads the terrorists have already won.

-Big E

(miso honey, me love you long time)
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hamachi, Sake = good

Ika, not so much.....
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:
Horry clap dats funny.
DTO
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

DTO Luv wrote:
Big E wrote:
Horry clap dats funny.
LMFAO, i just watched full metal jacket, too (you'd have to see the movie...)
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think Blue is open or very close to opening. I saw waiters and some other people going in and out around lunch today.

I swear to god it is almost impossible to see in there just walking by on the street. Bad move. THere was a small crowd outside looking to see if the place was open (myself included) due to other people going in and out but there was no real "OPEN" sign and you can't see anything going on on the inside.
DTO
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

They ARE OPEN.  I stopped by towards the end of the lunch hour and stuck my head in.  The manager said they did a light lunch service, closed to finish up a couple of last minute fixes, and will re-open for happy hour / dinner service.  Even though they were technically closed, he let me walk in and see the place.  They did a great job remodeling, and this will clearly be the largest of their 3 locations.  Downstairs is the main restaurant, upstairs is "Sake Bombers Lounge", although full menu is available everywhere.  Happy hour will be upstairs, with regular service downstairs.  Late night Happy Hour will be downstairs, with upstairs turning more into a lounge/bar.

BTW, same menu as the other locations.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool,

Whats on the third floor.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'll have to check it out but my sushi dollars will most likely continue to go to Urban Wine Co.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I guess I'm one of the lucky members of society who has been able to reallocate the sushi dollar.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I guess I'm one of the lucky members of society who has been able to reallocate the sushi dollar.
If I was rich, I would eat Sushi all the time!  Now just once in a while.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I was walking downtown on Saturday night and saw it was open.  VERY cool interior and it can all be seen from the outside.  The first floor is completely lit with blue panels while the second floor is all red.  It makes a very striking statement from the street.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I ate dinner for the first time over the weekend at Blue in Legacy.  It was a great time out on the patio, and the sushi rocked!  Very stylish and very good.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

These people certainly know how to design a great restaurant concept. I drove by it the other day at night. It had quite a presence with the torches and the vibrant blue lights emitting from inside.