Omaha's Best Hamburgers

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Who serves the best hamburgers in Omaha?

Bronco's
19%
King Kong's
6%
Louie M’s Burger Lust
No votes
Runza
19%
Dinker's
31%
Don & Millie's
13%
Billy Frogg's
No votes
Spaghetti Works
No votes
Goldberg's
13%
Jam's
No votes
TGI Friday's
No votes

Total votes: 16

jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Omaha's Best Hamburgers

Post by jessep28 »

I prefer a thinner patty with a crust like what Smashburger makes. Pub style burgers just aren't my thing.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Did someone make a new poll?

Stella's is not included but Spaghetti Works is?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Brad wrote:Did someone make a new poll?

Stella's is not included but Spaghetti Works is?
Oh I suppose. You take some of that spaghetti and you throw it in between 2 slices of that Rotellas thrift store bread and by golly you got the best tasting hamburger in the world. :oops:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I kicked off the Holiday weekend with a visit to two of Omaha's Classic Burger joints. Stella's for Lunch and Dinker's for dinner. Both where packed and great as always! Great day, great burgers!

Summed it up in this image:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:17 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:41 pm I am not going to lie, I have been to Stella's once and I couldn't stand the fact that they put a greasy hamburger on a napkin and serve it to you. You could at least use waxed paper. I live in Bellevue, but haven't been back since. I would much rather go to Dinkers and get a lot better burger for way cheaper.
Don’t know that I would put Dunkers above Stella’s, having recently had lunch at Barrett’s and enjoyed their monster burger, we have a new threat for best burger in Nebraska. Honestly, it was as if Sioux Sundries had risen from the grave.
Barrett's has been a top 10 Omaha burger for me since the early 90's. They have several other items on their menu I really like too. I think it's a big underrated on the food side.

Greg
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:21 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:41 pm I am not going to lie, I have been to Stella's once and I couldn't stand the fact that they put a greasy hamburger on a napkin and serve it to you. You could at least use waxed paper. I live in Bellevue, but haven't been back since. I would much rather go to Dinkers and get a lot better burger for way cheaper.
Don’t know that I would put Dunkers above Stella’s, having recently had lunch at Barrett’s and enjoyed their monster burger, we have a new threat for best burger in Nebraska. Honestly, it was as if Sioux Sundries had risen from the grave.
Barrett's has been a top 10 Omaha burger for me since the early 90's. They have several other items on their menu I really like too. I think it's a big underrated on the food side.

Greg
They have been famous for their pork tenderloin sandwich for years. This burger either escaped my attention or is a relatively new addition. It was delicious. And despite the name, not ridiculous compared to other things they serve at lunch.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Greg
They have been famous for their pork tenderloin sandwich for years. This burger either escaped my attention or is a relatively new addition. It was delicious. And despite the name, not ridiculous compared to other things they serve at lunch.
A few months ago was my first time going to Barrett's. Their tenderloin was beyond fantastic, so I definitely need to get back there and try their burger. Can't believe it has taken me this long to get there...so many wasted years!
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Greg
A few months ago was my first time going to Barrett's. Their tenderloin was beyond fantastic, so I definitely need to get back there and try their burger. Can't believe it has taken me this long to get there...so many wasted years!
I have to also vouch for Barrett’s.. The burgers there are fantastic..

There are so many places to get a great burger in the Omaha area, it’d be hard for me to definitively name one place as “the best”.. I do know people who still swear by Stella’s though...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Greg

There are so many places to get a great burger in the Omaha area, it’d be hard for me to definitively name one place as “the best”.. I do know people who still swear by Stella’s though...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Some people swear by Stella's Some people swear at Stella's I guess I am somewhere in the middle. Know what you are getting their as part of the history. Burgers are fine and I will go there when it makes since but I do not make it a destination. Don't try and make it someplace it is not and want a 5 course place setting of tableware or other things that are not Stella's.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Put me in the Barrett's crowd too. I like Stella's too. And then there is Danny's. Dinker's, Evil Burger and Louie M's didn't hit the Bullseye for me. But hey, if you're buying, I will eat at any of the above.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:16 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Some people swear by Stella's Some people swear at Stella's I guess I am somewhere in the middle. Know what you are getting their as part of the history. Burgers are fine and I will go there when it makes since but I do not make it a destination. Don't try and make it someplace it is not and want a 5 course place setting of tableware or other things that are not Stella's.
I think within the hierarchy of “best burgers” in the Omaha area, I’m right there with you as it relates to Stella’s...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I'm probably a little biased... My wife and I went to Barrett's on our first date, we stopped by Barrett's for photos and a drink on our wedding day, and our Son's name is Barrett....

That said, Barrett's has awesome bar food! My favorite burger is the Patty Mick. Its their famous sandwich "The one eyed Mick" combined with a Patty Melt. Yes, its a heart attack in a basket, but boy is it good!!!

But I don't care whats on the menu, Thursday, Friday, and sometimes at Lunch on Saturday if they have any left, I am getting the Pork Tenderloin. Best Pork Tenderloin in town!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I have eaten at Spaghetti Works since it opened, except for the period from 2008 until now, and as god is my witness I never, ever, knew they offered a burger.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

NovakOmaha wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:18 pm I have eaten at Spaghetti Works since it opened, except for the period from 2008 until now, and as god is my witness I never, ever, knew they offered a burger.
I never have seen anyone eat one there. I was just there a couple of weeks ago.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Why is Block 16 left off the list?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:56 am Why is Block 16 left off the list?
Probably wasn't around 11 years ago when you made the list?
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Brad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 am
Coyote wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:56 am Why is Block 16 left off the list?
Probably wasn't around 11 years ago when you made the list?
Same reason TGI Friday's is on it. Might be time for a new poll.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Ive never been to that Stella's or Dinkers. And, Im an Omaha native. And, I love burgers & fries. And, Im concluding Ive missed out.

As far as more fast food, I thought Don & Millie's "Double Don" burger was always tasty. It's almost like I wonder if they have a slight dash of hot spice or pepper on it, or something... There was a slight zing with it, I thought.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RockHarbor wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am As far as more fast food, I thought Don & Millie's "Double Don" burger was always tasty. It's almost like I wonder if they have a slight dash of hot spice or pepper on it, or something... There was a slight zing with it, I thought.
Im completely with you on Don & Millie’s Double Don..

That burger is fantastic :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:31 am
RockHarbor wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am As far as more fast food, I thought Don & Millie's "Double Don" burger was always tasty. It's almost like I wonder if they have a slight dash of hot spice or pepper on it, or something... There was a slight zing with it, I thought.
Im completely with you on Don & Millie’s Double Don..

That burger is fantastic :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You said it! There's something about that Double Don.

Since I love cajun anything (I even sprinkle it on popcorn), Im wondering if they sprinkle a tiny bit into the beef before they cook it? With the cheese and other toppings on it, I still seem to notice a slight, barely discernable spicy cajun zing to it -- maybe. I'm no cook, though. Maybe Im just imagining it. Anyways, mix that taste w/ certain beverages, and ugh, I'm hooked.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

When you come back to visit Omaha, you should try Vic’s Cornpopper Cajun flavored popcorn..

Yeah, the sauce they use in the Double Don certainly has an extra zip to it...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:02 pm
When you come back to visit Omaha, you should try Vic’s Cornpopper Cajun flavored popcorn..

Yeah, the sauce they use in the Double Don certainly has an extra zip to it...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Vic's has a Cajun Popcorn? That's so funny. Yet, it is really good, and that's not difficult to think up... You can sprinkle basically anything on popcorn to jazz it up. I love sprinking Basil Leaf on popcorn, too. You can grab garlic salt, or Ranch seasoning, whatever is in your cupboard.

Im glad you back me up on that exciting little zip present in that cheesy DOUBLE DON burger.
yman97
Home Owners Association

Post by yman97 »

For my money, Nite Owl in Blackstone has the best burger in town.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

yman97 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:33 pm For my money, Nite Owl in Blackstone has the best burger in town.
I’m adding this to my list. I’ll have to give their hamburgers a try...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I was told by a reliable source that all Omaha Smashburgers permanently closed today, with zero notice to employees.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:39 pm I was told by a reliable source that all Omaha Smashburgers permanently closed today, with zero notice to employees.
All. Are there more than two?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:39 pm I was told by a reliable source that all Omaha Smashburgers permanently closed today, with zero notice to employees.
All. Are there more than two?
L Street Marketplace
72nd south of Dodge
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Slimy thing to do to your staff. Tried the on in Millard and we thought it was a one and done experience. Can’t say that I am surprised.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Not too surprising. Bummer for the employees though.
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The only practical reason I can see for closing with zero notice is to keep your labor from walking out and taking everything that isn't bolted down. But it's more likely that the franchisee ran out of cash. Hopefully they can quickly make a final payroll. Gift card holders usually get screwed in these abrupt closings too.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:29 pm The only practical reason I can see for closing with zero notice is to keep your labor from walking out and taking everything that isn't bolted down. But it's more likely that the franchisee ran out of cash. Hopefully they can quickly make a final payroll. Gift card holders usually get screwed in these abrupt closings too.
No one knows what was going on behind the scenes. They may have been working on lining up additional financing, a new buyer, and / or a better lease agreement and all they did went until the last minute when they had to pull the plug.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Well, when it's your name personally guaranteeing a loan you may feel bad for your employees but you might also have a few other things on your mimd.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Some people have a desired way that they prefer their burger cooked. Flat griddle vs char grill. I've had good from both, but have had some experience with char/flame grilling where I taste the char more than the beef. I live close enough to Danny's that I'll go there for a quick burger fix