Upstream Brewing Company (514 S 11th St)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Upstream Brewing Company (514 S 11th St)

Post by Coyote »

Upstream just received A Gold, a Silver and a Bronze medal at I believe the World Beer Championships. They don't have it listed on their site yet but this follows two Silvers (Batch 1000 Barley Wine and Ebenezer’s Ale) and a Bronze (Hoppy Marriage) in the 2007 Championships.

I am surprised that Upstream does not have its own thread.
Brad
City Council

Re: Upstream Brewing Company

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I am surprised that Upstream does not have its own thread.
I remember talking about it in a thread about Whiskey.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah - they are going to start their distillery soon - I was talking with their Brewmaster a few weeks ago.

2008 Brewers Association World Beer Cup Winners

Category: Other Belgian-Style Ale

Gold    Upstream Grand Cru
          Upstream Brewing Co.
          Omaha, Nebraska

Silver   Malheur Brut Reserve
          Brewery Malheur
          Buggenhout, Belgium

Bronze Pride
          Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
          Anchorage, Alaska

Category: American-Style Stout

Gold   State Pen Porter
         Santa Fe Brewing Co.
         Santa Fe, New Mexico

Silver  Old Dundee
          Upstream Brewing Co.
          Omaha, Nebraska

Bronze Brouwer's Imagination Series Saison
          Port Brewing Co. and The Lost Abbey
          San Marcos, California

Category: Belgian-Style Flanders/Oud Bruin or Oud Red Ale

Gold     No Gold awarded.  

Silver   Red Poppy
           Port Brewing Co. and The Lost Abbey
           San Marcos, California

Bronze Phat Phlemish Red
          Upstream Brewing Co.
          Omaha, Nebraska
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Why didn't they award a gold for the last one? Pretentious |expletive|!
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

i love upstream.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Downtown Upstream will sport bigger bar

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10606743
- Nichole Aksamit, Omaha World-Herald wrote:Easter is no holiday this year for construction crews at Upstream Brewing Co.

That's when they'll begin work renovating the bar at the Old Market location.

Upstream President and CEO Brian Magee said the project will expand the bar, add a "friendship" bar (that's bar-style seating, minus the bartender) and more flat-screen TVs, and refurbish some worn woodwork.

The work is set to begin late Sunday afternoon, after the Upstream's Easter brunch finishes. Magee said most of the work would occur at night and the rest of the restaurant would remain open during the construction.

The bar should reopen Thursday.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

That's amazing.  I always thought they had a big bar, but now to enlarge it, incredible.  They also have a bar upstairs too.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seasonal Beers at Upstream!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10646337
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Upstream Brewing Company is swapping out some of its year-round beers to make way for more temporary and seasonal offerings.

Ginny Fallon, manager of the Old Market location, said the growing interest in craft beers prompted the change, which will allow the two Omaha brewpubs to offer more variety and showcase their brewers' creativity.

Fallon said the first swap is happening this week as the pubs sell the last of their American Wheat to make room for SunRise SunWit, a Belgian-style wheat beer flavored with blood orange concentrate. Fallon described it as "beautiful," "delicious" and "what I'll be drinking this summer."

Fallon said other wheat-based beers will rotate into the wheat slot.

In addition, the pubs will phase out their Gold Coast Blonde in July, paving the way for seasonal Bohemian- and German-style lagers. And the Oatmeal Stout will make way for other stouts and porters in October.

Fallon said the old favorites may yet return - just not on year-round taps.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went to the Upsteam again on Tuesday night.  Its been a few months since I have been there.  The beer was still delicious, I had the Capital IPA (formerly called the Rail-yard IPA{I liked the rail-yard name better :;): })  The food was good as always, we had a Quesadilla, and Artichoke dip for an appetizer, I had a NY Strip for dinner, cooked perfectly.  There was 5 of us, including three from the East Coast.  Everyone was very pleased with the food, service and Atmosphere.

The Highlight of the night was the Magician.  Wags and I saw him a few years ago.  He did some crazy Awesome trick with a business card and a paper punch.  Well I asked him to to that for the group again this time and it left them speechless.  That trick occurred at the pre-dinner drinks at the bar.  After we ordered he came over to our table and did a whole array of amazing card tricks.  It was a great time!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Beastie Boys-themed beers

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120810/G ... emed-beers
OWH Staff writer Sarah Baker Hansen wrote:I've been known to grab a drink at the Upstream after work with co-workers, and, while perusing the “Brewer's Whim” beer offerings recently, I noticed two Beastie Boys-themed beers and thought that was really cool and really random.

So I called Upstream brewer Mike Hall to ask about it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Think Local, Drink Local.

Schwedhelm's Bitter When Wit 5.4% ABV, 36 IBUs
This Belgian Witbier is the third and final in our Nebraska Grown Whole Leaf Hop Series. This brew features locally grown hops from Schwedhelm's Hop Yard and Bauman's Hop Farm both located in Fort Calhoun, NE. Classic Belgian character is complimented by earth and citrus from local cascade hops, coriander and lemon verbena used in the boil. Although this beer has a relatively high terminal gravity (more residual sweetness), it has a balanced bitterness in the finish that comfortably lingers. Thank you to the Schwedhelm and Bauman families for all your hard work to assist in bringing Omaha unique seasonal brews.

Nachturne Dark Lager - 5.8% ABV, 25 IBUs

When one sees a beer with a darker complexion, more often than not it's a Porter or a Stout. However looks can be deceiving. Upstream's Nachturne Dark Lager is orchestrated by a bottom fermenting lager yeast unlike its ale cousins. It is composed with German malts and hops instrumental in delivering a smooth, medium-bodied brew. Several different roasts give the end product a depth of malt character with a touch of chocolate. Although this beer may first appear black as night, a clear garnet hue will be revealed if you hold it up to the light. Enjoy!

Flanagan's Irish Red - 5.1% ABV, 21 IBUs

Our Irish Red is named after Father Edward J. Flanagan. Born in Ireland, Father Flanagan moved to Omaha in 1913 and founded Omaha's internationally acclaimed Boys Town. Our Irish Red is relatively darker than its standard counterparts yet is truly a deep garnet. This beer has a sweet, caramel malt aroma with hints of toffee and minimal hop presence. The flavor profile is in sync with the aroma with an added roasted barley presence. Overall this medium bodied, moderately carbonated ale is easy drinking and compliments our seasonal lineup for the St. Patrick's Day season. Enjoy!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Upstream is doing a $100k renovation, but only restrooms are listed...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Upstream is doing a $100k renovation, but only restrooms are listed...

Solid gold toilets?
No posts exist for this topic
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They do have restrooms on all 3 levels.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to the OWH on Twitter, Upstream is closing the West Omaha Location by the end of June...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And here is the OWH Story:

Upstream Brewing Company to close west Omaha location

http://www.omaha.com/go/upstream-brewin ... 2b58a.html
By Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Owner Brian Magee said the location, which opened in 2002 on the corner of 171st Street and West Center Road, had been underperforming. It will likely be closed by the end of June.
By Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Magee said he has a prospective tenant to take over the location; though he said he could not say who it is, he did indicate that it is not another restaurant.

He said there are no plans for the Old Market location to close, and that financially, it’s doing well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just said on WOWT that the downtown location may even expand after the west location closes.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

This sucks.

I enjoy going to the location out west better than the DT location. Before this turns into a DT vs. suburb debate that is not the issue. I go DT plenty and it is NOT the location. Just like the feel and service better at the west location.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Couple of surprising things to me on this. I had no idea there were so many people in Omaha who hated -- not just disliked, but downright hated -- Upstream until I read the Facebook comments on the various news articles for this story. Huh. Maybe I'm naive but that was surprising to me. And it was generally really busy, or at least it seemed to be. I don't recall ever going on a weekend night and not having to wait for a table; even during the week it seemed they did a steady business. Could be lots of stuff behind the scenes we don't know about, I suppose.

Too bad. My wife and I had our first date there years ago and have had many celebrations there since. We'll miss it. I'll echo the previous post and say I preferred the west one, too, though I've certainly spent a small fortune on beer and food at the downtown one over the years as well.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

My opinion of Upstream (downtown) has always been average. I think the food is average. I think the beer is average. So no real complaints, just no real motivation to go there. It has sort of a corporate bar feel, and the same food. The facility is very nice. We find ourselves there when we have a group. Play pool, have a couple of beers. But beyond that, it is not in our top 10.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This really surprised me. I had not been recently but every time I had been there they had a good crowdc.

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Perfect building for an REI
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I don't dislike Upstream, but I just find it quite average. The food is average. The beer is average. It's all just average, but not the price.

Honestly, the place was somewhat of a novelty in the late 90's and early 00's, but there is not one thing they do that another craft brewery isn't now doing better.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Purely speculation, but I wonder if one of the local craft breweries (NBC, Lucky Bucket, etc) will take over this lease, and use the place as a tap room/supplemental brewery. Lots of space, but convenient if you don't have to purchase brewing equipment.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Perfect building for an REI
Waaaay too small....
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Ben wrote:Purely speculation, but I wonder if one of the local craft breweries (NBC, Lucky Bucket, etc) will take over this lease, and use the place as a tap room/supplemental brewery. Lots of space, but convenient if you don't have to purchase brewing equipment.
That would definitely make sense, the rent there I would bet is pretty massive though.
admiralArchArch
New to the Neighborhood

Post by admiralArchArch »

I'm kinda sad its closing, but I thought something wasn't right when my wife and I were seated immediately on Valentine's Day, and there were plenty of empty tables on all floors. Overall I don't think i'll miss it as I always thought their beer was average and I am within spitting distance of the OM location. Now if Lazlo's ever closes, that would be a different story.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Ben wrote:Purely speculation, but I wonder if one of the local craft breweries (NBC, Lucky Bucket, etc) will take over this lease, and use the place as a tap room/supplemental brewery. Lots of space, but convenient if you don't have to purchase brewing equipment.
The story said that there was a pending lease but it was not a restaurant. I think your suggestions might fall into that category and rule them out. Too big of place to just brew and sell drinks only.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

swgiust wrote:My opinion of Upstream (downtown) has always been average. I think the food is average. I think the beer is average. So no real complaints, just no real motivation to go there. It has sort of a corporate bar feel, and the same food. The facility is very nice. We find ourselves there when we have a group. Play pool, have a couple of beers. But beyond that, it is not in our top 10.
I have to agree with this..

As it relates to their West O location, I have not been since at least 2010. Upstream is okay, but it's not in my wheelhouse as a place to grab good craft beer and eats.. Today, there are many other better options...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
swgiust wrote:My opinion of Upstream (downtown) has always been average. I think the food is average. I think the beer is average. So no real complaints, just no real motivation to go there. It has sort of a corporate bar feel, and the same food. The facility is very nice. We find ourselves there when we have a group. Play pool, have a couple of beers. But beyond that, it is not in our top 10.
I have to agree with this..

As it relates to their West O location, I have not been since at least 2010. Upstream is okay, but it's not in my wheelhouse as a place to grab good craft beer and eats.. Today, there are many other better options...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agreed, the food is ordinary. They were assholes to us once and we have not been back to the OM location and the west O place was just OK.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

It's a pretty cool building, but the reality is that the building was built to be a brewpub. I think where it would work, if they sold the whole place as-is, would be a national brewpub chain. Maybe a Rock Bottom (already tried), Gordon Biersch, BJ's, or CB Potts.

The building really limits the tenant without doing some major renovations.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They did state that the potentially have a tenant lined up for the space but it wouldn't be a restaurant.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

That whole stretch of W. Center from 168th to 180th is oversaturated with restaurants. Either your concept is a home run, or it's going to be a challenge to compete in that territory.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Upstream has auctioned off much of what was in the building on West Center. They have moved the brewing Equipment out. The building sale closes today based on this story.

Anyone have any insight into what the use will be or the new owner of the building?

http://www.omaha.com/money/west-omaha-u ... e459d.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They mentioned a few weeks ago on Grow Omaha that they will be building a Veridian Credit Union in part of the parking lot because the new user would presumable not need as much parking as a restaurant.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:They mentioned a few weeks ago on Grow Omaha that they will be building a Veridian Credit Union in part of the parking lot because the new user would presumable not need as much parking as a restaurant.

Probably medical of some sort. Seems like that is what everything is.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:They mentioned a few weeks ago on Grow Omaha that they will be building a Veridian Credit Union in part of the parking lot because the new user would presumable not need as much parking as a restaurant.

Why this building? Why not build on some of the open land in West Omaha? 180th and Dodge? Open land around Lakeside?

I have high expectations, so I will probably be let down :( I'm going with a high-end spa.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Why this building? Why not build on some of the open land in West Omaha? 180th and Dodge? Open land around Lakeside?

I have high expectations, so I will probably be let down :( I'm going with a high-end spa.
I think we agree but with track records of other conversions in the area that is where I set the bar.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Unconfirmed rumor, but Upstream related, so I'll put it in this thread...

The downtown location is supposedly going up for sheriff's auction soon. It may have been used as collateral on unpaid loans or other bills for the West O location that closed last year, and someone wants their money back.

Not that this forces them to close down, but certainly would affect things, as their building would partially be owned by the creditors....
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I think we agree but with track records of other conversions in the area that is where I set the bar.
Friend who works for Lanoha Development told me a few months back that they'd be moving into the building but were looking for another tenant to occupy part of it (Lanoha is surprising small on the dev side). Haven't heard back from them for a while, so I'm not sure where it is sitting now.