Pitch Coal-Fire Pizzeria (Two Omaha Locations)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

annad
Home Owners Association

Pitch Coal-Fire Pizzeria (Two Omaha Locations)

Post by annad »

Pitch Coal-Fire Pizzeria(former Dundee Dinner Theatre)

I heard that a brick-oven pizza place is going in next to Scout in Dundee.  If so, this will be a great addition - my friends and I alone could probably keep that place open.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Where and what is scout?
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

Scout is a "dry goods & trade" outlet - pretty much a trendy thrift store.  If thrifting is your thing, it's pretty cool.  South side of Underwood, across from the KFAB building. Scout is next to the Dundee Bank, I think.  There's an empty unit to the west of Scout.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Model A lofts building, where the old Dundee Dinner Theater was.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'm hoping it will stay open late.  Let's say 2 or so.  That place would rock after closing the bars down.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More pizza from Theisen?

http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3945&u_sid=10556648
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The founder of Godfather's Pizza appears poised to return to the pizza business.

Willy Theisen and his longtime investment manager Michael Scherr are taking steps to open a restaurant and bar this summer at 5021 Underwood Ave., the former address of the Dundee Dinner Theatre.

According to a liquor license request approved by the Omaha City Council this week, their Business Ventures LLC outlet aims to open for lunch and dinner July 1.

A representative of the venture told the City Council Tuesday that the place would be a pizza-driven restaurant.

No word yet on a name.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

It will be great having another option in Dundee.  I just hope its good pizza, not like the hut across the street or Theisen's former pizza place.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This is a little interesting....

Liquor board considers Godfather founder's request

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10628576
PAUL HAMMEL WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:Today, Godfather's founder Willie Thiesen will be asking a state board to "don't do it" when it comes to requiring him to give his fingerprints for a new liquor license.

Hobert Rupe, executive director of the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission, said the request was unusual.

Rupe said that Thiesen, who's held six liquor licenses in the past 25 years, would be aware of the requirement that a new set of fingerprints is required (one less than two years old) for the FBI background check done for new liquor license applicants.
PAUL HAMMEL WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:Theisen and his longtime investment manager Michael Scherr plan to open a pizza-driven restaurant and bar at the location, which formerly housed the Dundee Dinner Theatre. Business Ventures LLC outlet hopes to open July 1 for lunch and dinner.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Well, obviously they did not make July 1, but I do know the guy who has been hired as the executive chef for the place.  The pizza ovens are coal fired and cost $45,000 a piece.  There will be two of them in the restaurant.  He is currently traveling the US, visiting other locations that actually use this particular brand of pizza oven.  I think they are about a month away from opening.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

From the looks of the place, its more than a month out....  After a long period with no work, they've finally begun framing in the last week or two, from what I can see peering into the windows.  I don't yet see these new pizza ovens installed yet, either.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Ovens installed, most of the open kitchen now looks to be complete.  HVAC going in now, with the beginnings of the drop ceiling starting to take shape.  Still needs lighting, flooring and lots of finishing work.

Oh yeah, and if the blueprints by the window are still accurate, the name will be "Willy's Pizzeria".
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

PIZZA GODFATHER RETURNS, WITH COAL

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091016/E ... /710169835
Nichole Aksamit, OWH wrote:Godfather's Pizza founder Willy Theisen's long-awaited new pizza concept is taking shape in Dundee.

Signs at 5021 Underwood Ave., former home of the Dundee Dinner Theatre, now proclaim: Pitch Coal-Fired Pizzeria.

And Theisen said Thursday that the old-school heat source will indeed fuel the two giant ovens at the new pizzeria's center. Why coal?

“Our ovens will run upwards of 900 degrees,” Theisen said. “It puts a flavor profile, a char so to speak, on the crust, which gives it a very unique taste.”

Coal burns hotter than wood and was widely used in the early 1900s, when Italian immigrants began opening pizzerias in the United States. The coal-fired ovens that set the New York pizza standard waned as kitchens switched to gas and electric ovens, cities began limiting coal emissions and the number of pizza artisans dwindled. Several new coal-fired pizzerias have cropped up across the country in recent years.

Theisen said his cozy, open-kitchen pizzeria will serve more than pizza and value-priced wines, though he declined to elaborate on the menu. He expects an early-to-mid-November opening.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

This place is open.  Went to try and grab a bite with my girlfriend there last Friday, but there was an almost 45 minute wait, so we walked out.  Glad to see that they're busy, can't wait to try it one of these days.  

Very cool atmosphere and decor, I hope the food backs it up.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

This sounds like a cool concept in a great location, but the article didn't go into much detail about the coal ovens and whether they're still using the old soot-producing technology that became obsolete. Something the neighbors might not appreciate ...and I wonder how healthy charred pizza crust is for you. I'm sure it will taste good though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What sort of pies are they serving?  Thin crust, thick, or can you choose?  Gourmet or just the hamburger and pepperoni type toppings?
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Post by Midtown Gal »

The husband and I ate there last night and it was awesome!  The crust is super-thin, I guess it's almost like a neapolitan (sp?) style?  The menu is nice and concise - a handful of appetizers (we had a plate of meat and cheeses - pepperoni, prosciutto ham, olives and fresh mozzarella.  The husband had a bloody mary and it was garnished with a cherry pepper, a slice of pepperoni, a blue cheese stuffed olive and an ice cube was floating in it, but it was an ice cube that had herbs in it - we think basil, oregano and parsley.

The pizza came out really fast.  Our server said that since the ovens run at 850 degrees, pizzas tend to fly out of the kitchen.  We shared the "Mia" pizza which came with pepperoni and what looked to be hand made sausage.  The sausage was kind of spicy, but really tasty.  The other pizzas I would describe as "gourmet" but you have the option to build your own.  From what I saw other people around us eating, the ingredients looked really fresh and I'm excited to go back and try some other pizzas.

For one bloody mary, diet soda, appetizer and a pizza, our bill was $36.  Not bad, I think.  All in all, I really liked it.
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Post by Midtown Gal »

So, the husband and I tried to go to Pitch a few Fridays ago and it was cuh-razy!  20 min. wait for a table, but we decided to eat at the bar when we saw two seats open up.

I'm not complaining at all - I have no problem waiting for a table.  I'm just saying that if you don't like waiting, try calling ahead to see if you can make a reservation.  I'm not sure if you can or not at Pitch, but worth a try.  This time we started with prosciutto wrapped salad greens with blue cheese, walnuts and a vinegarette drizzle.  Holy shiz, it was good!

Side note - the hostess was a nice, but weird looking lady with too much lip liner on.  At first, I thought she had a handlebar mustache, but then I did a double-take and realized that she just painted on her lips...in a bad way.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I've heard some mediocre reviews of this place from my roommate and some family members. I'll have to walk down there one of these days and see for myself.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Ate at Pitch Dec 23rd. Place was packed. Food was delicious. Had the Brussels sprouts, salad, and pepperoni pizza. The bsprouts are fantastic. Like the super thin crust pizza. Atmosphere was festive two days before Christmas. Mix of yuppies, older couples, young families w/children and large multiple generation groups.  Great addition to my favorite neighborhood.
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Post by Midtown Gal »

Okay, so my family and I wanted to go to Pitch on Saturday night for my 30th birthday and there were 13 of us.  I called ahead a couple of days before to try and get a reservation, but they said that they didn't take reservations.  I thought to myself, "That's okay, I'll just get there an hour early and get on the wait list."  Problem solved, right?

Well, my husband and I show up and they tell us that it'll be a 2 hour wait and that I should have called ahead.  What the eff!!??  I told them that I did call but they said that they didn't take reservations.  Then they said that if you call ahead they can try to accommodate you.  Weeelllll, why the eff didn't you say that when I first called!?  Needless to say, I was extremely pi$$ed off.  I really wanted to introduce my family to Pitch because I've been talking about it for so long about how great it is.  

We ended up just having everyone just come over to our house and we ordered a |expletive| load of Mama's pizza.  It was delish, as always.

But this now makes me not want to go back to Pitch.  I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I'm still upset...two days later.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Midtown Gal wrote:Okay, so my family and I wanted to go to Pitch on Saturday night for my 30th birthday and there were 13 of us.  I called ahead a couple of days before to try and get a reservation, but they said that they didn't take reservations.  I thought to myself, "That's okay, I'll just get there an hour early and get on the wait list."  Problem solved, right?

Well, my husband and I show up and they tell us that it'll be a 2 hour wait and that I should have called ahead.  What the eff!!??  I told them that I did call but they said that they didn't take reservations.  Then they said that if you call ahead they can try to accommodate you.  Weeelllll, why the eff didn't you say that when I first called!?  Needless to say, I was extremely pi$$ed off.  I really wanted to introduce my family to Pitch because I've been talking about it for so long about how great it is.  

We ended up just having everyone just come over to our house and we ordered a |expletive| load of Mama's pizza.  It was delish, as always.

But this now makes me not want to go back to Pitch.  I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I'm still upset...two days later.

I'd of spoken with a manager(you still could).  I don't think any new restaurant wants to drive people away no matter how busy they are.  More than likely you called and spoke to a host who didn't have the foresight(brain power) to tell you about "call ahead", which while different than reservations, should of course be an obvious response to anyone inquiring about reservations.  I'd talk to a manager an ask for a clarification of their policy.  If this happened at my restaurant, you be invited back and compensated.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Midtown Gal wrote:Okay, so my family and I wanted to go to Pitch on Saturday night for my 30th birthday and there were 13 of us.  I called ahead a couple of days before to try and get a reservation, but they said that they didn't take reservations.  I thought to myself, "That's okay, I'll just get there an hour early and get on the wait list."  Problem solved, right?

Bummer.  But at least it got your mind off of turning 30!     :;):
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

What time of night did they have a two hour wait?  I still plan on trying this place out, however I don't think I will be going with 13 people, more like 2.
where the corn meets the concrete
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Post by Midtown Gal »

windsor wrote:What time of night did they have a two hour wait?  I still plan on trying this place out, however I don't think I will be going with 13 people, more like 2.
We got there at 5pm.
nativeomahan wrote:Bummer.  But at least it got your mind off of turning 30!
Sadly, nothing is taking my mind off of being 30.   :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Review: Smoke, mirrors and 'za

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100122/E ... tainment01
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Godfather's Pizza founder Willy Theisen returned to the pizza business and the Omaha dining scene in a big way in November.

The new pizzeria he launched in Dundee melds several hot dining trends from larger cities: thin-crust pizzas, coal-fired ovens, vegetarian-friendly menus, industrial design, communal seating and affordable wines.

The smoky mystery of it all, the limited access (no lunch hours, no takeout, no reservations) and a snowed-in neighborhood clientele seemed to keep Pitch Coal-Fire Pizzeria packed most evenings in its first two months.

It would be easy to dismiss the concept and resulting buzz as a clever bit of smoke and mirrors if Theisen hadn't put a Culinary Institute of America grad in charge of those ultra-hot ovens — and if the pizzas coming out of them weren't so good.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:melds several hot dining trends from larger cities: thin-crust pizzas, coal-fired ovens, vegetarian-friendly menus, industrial design, communal seating and affordable wines.
:barf:

Finally! Thin crust pizza arrives to teeny tiny little Omaha.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We ate at Pitch a week ago, for a Monday dinner.   We got right in.  The place is very attractive.  The menu is rather brief, but you should be able to find something to interest you.  
The pizza was good.  Not great.  Not the best in Omaha.  But good.  I would not consider waiting any length of time to eat here, however. The pasta dish we ordered was not very good.  Too rich and pasty tasting.
The wine list is compact but fairly priced and has some good selections.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

nebport5 wrote:
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:melds several hot dining trends from larger cities: thin-crust pizzas, coal-fired ovens, vegetarian-friendly menus, industrial design, communal seating and affordable wines.
:barf:

Finally! Thin crust pizza arrives to teeny tiny little Omaha.
Haha. My thoughts exactly.

The couple times I've walked past it in Dundee, the place has been packed. My gf and I plan to go sometime soon.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently Pitch wants to add a patio:
http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... rk/364.pdf
omahayum
New to the Neighborhood

Pitch is a HIT!

Post by omahayum »

We tried Pitch Pizzeria - It was a hit with us

Read more on my blog
OMAHA YUM

http://omahayum.blogspot.com/2010/06/pi ... -2010.html
lyonsroar
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lyonsroar »

Ate here with my family a while back.

I would say I'm not really impressed.  The food is heavy gourmet.  I'm more of a meat 'n potatoes guy myself so I was kind of disappointed.  Not really a "family" atmosphere.  I can say it would be a very good place for a date, but not for a family dinner with small picky eaters.

Our waitress was also kinda strange...recent European immigrant.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is one of those places I always said I would go to, but never got around to going to until this weekend.  45 min wait which was fine for a Sunday before a holiday, I liked how they take your phone number and text you when your table is ready.  Let us go have a drink up the street without checking the clock nonstop.  I am not the most "foodie" person on the planet, but the pizza was very good not my usual ingredients obviously.  What put it over the top is the atmosphere, really lively and unique for Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Pitch Coal-Fire Pizzeria(former Dundee Dinner Theatre)

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140312/G ... yDO4s3UpfM
Pitch Pizzeria was named one of the 100 best restaurants in the U.S. by a popular site.

Restaurant reservations site OpenTable announced the top 100 hot spot restaurants in its annual Diners' Choice Awards. The awards are based on more than 5 million reviews submitted by OpenTable diners from 19,000 restaurants.

Pitch was the only Nebraska eatery on the list, the only one nearby, in fact. No Iowa winners.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Pitch might be in the top 10, of Omaha Pizza places. But that's as far as I would go. These sorts of "polls" are not scientific, and thus are meaningless, beyond simply something to talk about over the water cooler.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The article about the parking garage and Grandpa's also mentioned that Pitch could be opening a second location.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

2nd Pitch at Village Pointe
TheGoodLife
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TheGoodLife »

Coyote wrote:2nd Pitch at Village Pointe
At the old Mimi's?
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Would love to see a Pitch in the Old Market.... :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Pitch is pretty good, although it is often too loud inside to hear yourself think.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pitch Pizzeria to open another location in west Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/go/pitch-pizzeria- ... 440b9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The new location is just west of Village Pointe, near 177th and Burke Streets. The stand-alone restaurant will have the same vibe as the Dundee location as well as the same menu of coal-fired pizzas, burgers and entrees. The new location will also have a rooftop bar that will serve drinks and food, as well as an outdoor patio.

The owners plan for a spring 2015 opening