Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Family Video

Post by Brad »

Family Video puts plans for state on fast-forward

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10390614
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Family Video stores in Nebraska
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A 6,000-square-foot store is scheduled to open in early August at 16th and Bell Streets in Fremont. This store does not include additional space for lease.

A 7,200-square-foot building will open this fall at 168th and Blondo Streets. Family Video will occupy most of the building, and the remaining space will be leased to one tenant.

Construction recently started on a 7,400-square-foot building at the northwest corner of 168th and Harrison Streets, the second building in the Vintage Oaks development. Family Video will occupy about 6,000 square feet, and the remaining space will be leased to another tenant. Jensen Tire is on the northwest corner, and the Family Video will sit on the southeast corner, facing Harrison Street.

Another nine or more planned, sites unannounced.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I see that Family Video is bucking the trend of closing and moving into the former Hollywood Video store on Galven Road in front of Shopko.  They are open there already with no real signs up yet other than a banner.  It will be interesting to see if they move into any of the other recently closed locations.

I wounder if they will remodel the building to look like their typical store, at least the ones that I have seen.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I haven't been in one of these.  Do they have a selection that is unique (Christian?  heavy on kiddie content?) or are their locations in places where there is little to no internet access or adoption?

For the life of me I can't figure why someone would be expanding in that market segment unless they have some exit strategy I can't see.
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:I haven't been in one of these.  Do they have a selection that is unique (Christian?  heavy on kiddie content?) or are their locations in places where there is little to no internet access or adoption?

For the life of me I can't figure why someone would be expanding in that market segment unless they have some exit strategy I can't see.

I have rented at the on on 168th & Harrison a bunch of times.  In fact it is a bit out of the way but it is the only place I have probably rented a physical disk since shortly after they opened.  

They have decent selection,  Cheep kid movies (not the reason we go) but no a huge selection that would drive the families with young kids there exclusively , a free rental section where you can "rent" a movie that is more documentary or educational along with any regular rentals you get.  Good prices and well stocked inventory.

I agree that it is an interesting move but probably not totally out of what there norm since they only entered this market about 2 years ago.  In the other locations that I am aware of they have moved into new buildings too either built by them or to their specs.  Time will tell
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

By market segment I meant physical media rental, not geography or architecture.

ie, why go the Hollywood Video or Blockbuster route when the future is obviously Netflixish?
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Struck my curiosity about where they locate most of their stores.  Looks like many are in towns from 25,000 to 250,000 giving it just a spot check.  Quite a few in surrounding states ,550+ total stores

From there web sit

http://www.familyvideo.com/index.php
We are the largest privately owned movie and game rentailer in the United States and the third largest overall. Family Video employs over 5,000 people across 18 states, with more than 550 stores.

We are committed to growing our company. We are proud to offer our customers the very best in customer service, price and selection. We are dedicated to offering exciting career opportunities for energetic and talented people. Thank you for visiting our site and learning more about Family Video
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Family Video diversifies by offering movies with a side of pizza

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140117/M ... e-of-pizza" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paige Yowell / World-Herald staff writer wrote:
With most Blockbuster stores shutting their doors for good and the use of movie streaming services on the rise, Glenview, Ill.-based Family Video is making an effort to diversify the video rental business by adding carry-out and delivery pizza to its three Omaha area locations.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Family Video

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice story to read. It will be interesting to see how they make out as a result of offering pizza, especially since both the pizza and movie are eventually both going to have delivery options. We used to go to Family Video all the time in eastern iowa and loved it. Their prices are reasonable and they have a pretty good selection. I miss the old days when you would go to the video store and walk around and choose different things to watch. I have found Netflix to not be worth the money since I watch a lot of sports and they don't have that and many of the movies we wanted weren't available.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Family Video is awesome, they have an entire aisle of free kids movies and have extremely good rental rates. There is a reason they still exist, Blockbuster would still be around if they would have taken some tips from Family Video.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Drove Harrison today and as went by 168th it looked like Family Video has closed. The Corp web site still shows the location and the Marco's Pizza looked to be open. Can anyone confirm?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I used to really like Family Video, but we went there over Christmas for the first time in a year and they raised the prices. I think a 5 day rental was something like $3.29 for DVD and $3.79 for Bluray. I don't get why I would pay that much when I can just go get one at Redbox for $1.50 or $2.00, especially considering that most people don't really need to have the disc for 5 nights.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

This guy is brilliant. As I understand it Family Video owns most of the buildings their locations are in. They are reducing the size of the actual video stores and renting out the rest of the space. Thus they're moving from renting videos to being landlords. Killer idea!

We have a store near us that cut the size of the video store in half & remodeled & rented the space to a dental clinic. For what it's worth they still rent some movies for $1 for a week. Not new rentals but still. VHS & DVD.

edit: I looked further into the company. They also are the largest Marco's Pizza franchisee and have those in their properties, they also have electronics repair stores and fitness centers in some locations. These guys are gunners! Huge real estate portfolio and constantly searching for more revenue streams. it's amazing
Last edited by NovakOmaha on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

NovakOmaha wrote:This guy is brilliant. As I understand it Family Video owns most of the buildings their locations are in. They are reducing the size of the actual video stores and renting out the rest of the space. Thus they're moving from renting videos to being landlords. Killer idea!

We have a store near us that cut the size of the video store in half & remodeled & rented the space to a dental clinic. For what it's worth they still rent some movies for $1 for a week. Not new rentals but still. VHS & DVD.
That would make some since. There were some large dumpsters there. It could very well be a remodel and not a vacate but I am guessing the store was empty and closed for now. When I was last in there they did seem to much bigger than they needed to be.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We rent videos occasionally from the one on 168th and Blondo. I do like renting new video games there for my boys. I like to have them try them out before buying to make sure they really like them.

This one is in for rough haul this year though with 168th going under major construction from Blondo to Dodge.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:This guy is brilliant. As I understand it Family Video owns most of the buildings their locations are in. They are reducing the size of the actual video stores and renting out the rest of the space. Thus they're moving from renting videos to being landlords. Killer idea!

That would make some since. There were some large dumpsters there. It could very well be a remodel and not a vacate but I am guessing the store was empty and closed for now. When I was last in there they did seem to much bigger than they needed to be.

I was nearby over the weekend so took a couple of minutes and passed through the parking lot. The big sign says that they are open through construction and it didn't before so I must not be the only one that thought they closed. They are getting smaller. The new spot on the end looks to be another eating place of some sort. Looks to be more than take out. There was some limited seating and a soda machine that were already in place. Nothing that I saw that said what it was but it looked to be close to opening.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Fire at the 168th location at about 10pm Sunday according to Meanstreets Facebook feed.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Saw an article stating that all remaining Family Videos are going to start a liquidation sale and close this year. There are still 2 in Omaha and 1 in Bellevue. I used to go there a few years ago, I think it was more of a nostalgia thing, but sad to see these go. I wonder if they are going to keep Marcos Pizza open since they own those as well.

Family Video was great if you were wanting to watch an older movie and only had to pay .50 or a $1.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:58 am Saw an article stating that all remaining Family Videos are going to start a liquidation sale and close this year. There are still 2 in Omaha and 1 in Bellevue. I used to go there a few years ago, I think it was more of a nostalgia thing, but sad to see these go. I wonder if they are going to keep Marcos Pizza open since they own those as well.

Family Video was great if you were wanting to watch an older movie and only had to pay .50 or a $1.

The one on 168th and Blondo has been closed for at least a few months. The Marco's Pizza is still open though.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Is Marco's any good? I never tried it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Louie wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:17 am Is Marco's any good? I never tried it.
We like their Pizza.

Are we sure they are owned by the same group? I understand they had an agreement to duel locate but I didn't think they were the same owners.
I used to work with the wife of one of the location managers for Marco's That is where I got that idea.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

No, I looked it up, I think they actually just had a partnership with Family Video.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

They were/are Marco's largest franchisee. The biggest difference between Family Video and Hollywood/Blockbusters is that Family Video owns their stores. Last I saw they owned over $600 million in property. They aren't going bankrupt. They just decided to give up on the video store business. The holding company owns property, a water company and other ventures. Family owned, not public. That's another plus.

Here's more info: https://www.highlandventuresltd.com/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Marco’s Pizza

The Papillion location of Marco’s Pizza is reopening to the public. The shop will occupy the bay that formerly housed Family Video. The new location hopes to be opened by the end of September, and positions are being filled immediately. To apply, visit the Marco’s Pizza location on Galvin in Bellevue. Welcome back to Papillion, Marco’s!

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:06 pm Marco’s Pizza

The Papillion location of Marco’s Pizza is reopening to the public. The shop will occupy the bay that formerly housed Family Video. The new location hopes to be opened by the end of September, and positions are being filled immediately. To apply, visit the Marco’s Pizza location on Galvin in Bellevue. Welcome back to Papillion, Marco’s!

Been a while since I have had it but I always though their pizza was decent for the price point
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:58 am Saw an article stating that all remaining Family Videos are going to start a liquidation sale and close this year. There are still 2 in Omaha and 1 in Bellevue. I used to go there a few years ago, I think it was more of a nostalgia thing, but sad to see these go. I wonder if they are going to keep Marcos Pizza open since they own those as well.

I must have missed this. I was just wondering the other day where the Family Videos went. I remember all the hype several years ago with articles like "Family Video thrives where Blockbuster failed...." It seems they spoke too soon.
Last edited by ChadJK on Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:58 am

I must have missed this. I was just wondering the other day where the Family Videos went. I remember all the hype several years ago with articles like "Family Video thrives where Blockbuster failed...." It's seems they spoke too soon.
I feel like all the "family thrives as blockbuster fails" stuff was a good 10 years ago now when streaming was still sketchy and the average internet speed/reliability was still lower. By about 2016-2017, most of the Family Video locations closed and the last one a few years ago. Most have rolled on with just Marcos. Now that most can get decently reliable broadband throughout a large house, no need for rentals.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

omaha79 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:20 am
I feel like all the "family thrives as blockbuster fails" stuff was a good 10 years ago now when streaming was still sketchy and the average internet speed/reliability was still lower. By about 2016-2017, most of the Family Video locations closed and the last one a few years ago. Most have rolled on with just Marcos. Now that most can get decently reliable broadband throughout a large house, no need for rentals.
As I said before they owned most of the buildings that housed the stores. The parent company, Highland Ventures, now owns 650 properties with over 6 million square feet of space, over 100 Marcos and a water sales company. In the past they also owned a chain of veterinary clinics, which they sold. They just moved their headquarters to Nashville from suburban Chicago. They are a very successful company. By the way, they closed the last 250 stores in 2021.
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I believe the one in Fremont NE that closed some time ago is not a laundromat with the takeout side now a Valitinos to go location