Zio's Pizzeria

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Zio's Pizzeria

Post by Big E »

Not sure if this had been touched on here before or not, so move it wherever might be more approriate:

Niche furniture (next to Myth on the south side of Howard between 11th and 12th) is in the process of consolidating to their showroom across the street (this is definite).

Apparently a restaurant is moving in to the space next to Myth and the former scaffolding museum.  This is probably best listed as a likely rumor until you see something going on, as we all know how these things can fall apart in the interim.
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Interesting. Any word on what sort of food offerings?
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

i noticed the notice when i went into niche this last weekend....

so they are moving to their showroom - which is sad since the showroom is smaller i think...
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I've heard that Zio's is moving in.  Their space  up the street will be open.
Back Home in Omaha!
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Niche consolidating/restaurant moving in?

Post by nativeomahan »

Big E wrote: Apparently a restaurant is moving in to the space next to ... the former scaffolding museum.  
ROFLMAO!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I, too, could not stop laughing at the scaffolding museum comment!!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Murz
Home Owners Association

Zio's moving Downtown...Former Niche bay

Post by Murz »

Downtown Zio's moving to former Niche bay

The lease is signed and the construction has started. Change location notice is posted and I heard a June opening is promising.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

not to split hairs, but Zio's is already technically downtown :)
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

thenewguy wrote:not to split hairs, but Zio's is already technically downtown :)
More downtownerish?

And former Zio's spot is to become a Mexican joint offering late night (ie, past 1 AM) food.  I believe it is by the folks that run O.
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Is this alleged Mexican place going to have a gym, or some form of exercise facility?
Go Cubs Go
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

thenewguy wrote:not to split hairs, but Zio's is already technically downtown :)
I've been here enough to know it wouldn't be EOmahaforums if hairs weren't split. It should of read...Downtown Zio's moving.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Is this THE "Murz", by the way?  As in the guy that runs "The Murz Inn" in Bellevue?
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Murz wrote:
I've been here enough to know it wouldn't be EOmahaforums if hairs weren't split. It should of read...Downtown Zio's moving.
fair enough!
Go Cubs Go
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

Big E wrote:Is this THE "Murz", by the way?  As in the guy that runs "The Murz Inn" in Bellevue?
Ah yes, your favorite Italian....one in the same
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:Is this THE "Murz", by the way?  As in the guy that runs "The Murz Inn" in Bellevue?
No, its the creepy guy that lurks in the shadows of the dumpster behind the 20's.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

thenewguy wrote:Is this alleged Mexican place going to have a gym, or some form of exercise facility?
Too funny....

I think it will be called Jimenez.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

nativeomahan wrote:
thenewguy wrote:Is this alleged Mexican place going to have a gym, or some form of exercise facility?
Too funny....

I think it will be called Jimenez.
Haha
Go Cubs Go
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I think it will be a great move for Zios.  Give them a chance to start fresh in a new restaurant.  Over several years, I am sure they along with any other business always finds little things they would like to change and now they can do it.  How different/similar is the square footage of the two locations?
where the corn meets the concrete
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Big E wrote:
More downtownerish?

And former Zio's spot is to become a Mexican joint offering late night (ie, past 1 AM) food.  I believe it is by the folks that run O.
YES! Downtown needs WAY more late night options like that.
RFO
New to the Neighborhood

Post by RFO »

I talked to Lance of “O” Saturday.  He confirmed that he is taking over the former “Downtown Zio’s” location.  It will in fact be a bar which will be serving authentic Mexican cuisine.  The food will be ordered and picked up at the bar (no table service).  He did not mention anything about food being served after 1:00am, pretty sure it will be closing at the same time as all other bars in town…….Not to split hairs.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

RFO wrote:He did not mention anything about food being served after 1:00am, pretty sure it will be closing at the same time as all other bars in town…….Not to split hairs.
Well, obviously they'll quit serving hooch at 1 AM.  Doesn't mean the kitchen can't stay open.  Everything I've heard up to this point says they'll be open for food past 1 AM, which certainly doesn't mean they couldn't have changed their mind.
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This sounds great, and I sure hope they stay open after last-call to serve food.

This begs the question, and maybe someone can clear it up for me:

In conjunction with last call, and most bars consequently closing at 1:00 AM, I'm wondering if an establishment were to stay open after last-call to sell food, could patrons not also keep drinking their beverages that were purchased BEFORE or AT last-call?

It always annoys the |expletive| out of me when bars rush their patrons to finish their drinks so they can close at 1:00. |expletive| stay open until 1:15 or 1:20 and allow your customers to finish their drinks and continue enjoying themselves.

Last I checked, most restaurants wouldn't come up to you and say they're closing and that you need to finish your food or they're going to throw it away. No, they stay a bit later and let you finish up and they're thankful for your business.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We have to quit selling by 1:00 and have everything picked up by 1:15 according to the law.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I can only go from what I know from working in a bar in Lincoln in the mid-90s, but the Lincoln police could ticket you for serving and open container, etc, if you had drinks on the table after 1:10 or 1:15 or so.  I'm pretty sure it is a violation of the liquor license, but I don't know the technicalities or exact details.

We were under strict instructions to snatch the drinks away from people at 1:10.  We were actually given a warning one time because a cop found a bottle of beer under a table that we missed when cleaning up.
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, it probably goes without saying that I think that is bullshit. As far as I'm concerned, last-call means just that: it's the last chance to BUY alcohol. If a bar or restaurant chooses to stay open after last call, people should be allowed to continue drinking what they've already bought, even if that was three pitchers right at last call.

Of course, it would be up to establishments to say, "we stop selling pitchers at 12:30" or whatever.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You would end up with D'Shawn having 30 sangrias piled up in front of him, Big E would just buy the bottle of Scotch and the1wags would be sitting in a booth with his best friend the keg of Blue Boon.  There has to be a limit somewhere.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:You would end up with D'Shawn having 30 sangrias piled up in front of him, Big E would just buy the bottle of Scotch and the1wags would be sitting in a booth with his best friend the keg of Blue Boon.  There has to be a limit somewhere.
how do you know we haven't done that already? :)

If they do have a late nite eatery they'll make a killing. Although you would have to deal with all of those drunks in one place.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

What is this Blue Boon you speak of Brad? If it is close to Blue Moon, I'll like it. :;):

I'm crossing my fingers that this place sells food late. A actually good chicken quesadilla in the old market at 1AM? Heck yes!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Interior construction work from shaving off brick or stone or something set the smoke alarm off in the building last night around 10.  No fire, just a CRAPLOAD of dust.

You couldn't see 10 ft inside the building it was so thick.
Stable genius.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

When do the plan on opening?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Zio's will have a three table outdoor eating area.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

The new Zio's is absolutely wonderful.  Its so nice walking in to that wide open space as compared to that old small dark space.
choke
Human Relations

Zio's Pizzeria

Post by choke »

I have heard that Zio's was sold. Not sure to who or if any changes are going to be made but have heard it nonetheless.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Zio's Pizzeria

Post by nebugeater »

You heard right

It was covered in the OWH a little over a week ago.

‘Room for a few more’ Zio’s, new owner says

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/room-for ... 690ac.html
Omaha’s three locations of Zio’s Pizzeria are under new ownership.
Omaha native Steve Johnson has purchased the three restaurants: in the Old Market, at 78th and Dodge Streets, and at 129th Street and West Center Road.................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
choke
Human Relations

Re: Zio's Pizzeria

Post by choke »

nebugeater wrote:You heard right

It was covered in the OWH a little over a week ago.

‘Room for a few more’ Zio’s, new owner says

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/room-for ... 690ac.html
Omaha’s three locations of Zio’s Pizzeria are under new ownership.
Omaha native Steve Johnson has purchased the three restaurants: in the Old Market, at 78th and Dodge Streets, and at 129th Street and West Center Road.................

Thanks!