Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Mangia Italiana (6516 Irvington Road)

Post by Brad »

Mangia Italiana (6516 Irvington Road)

Review: Cannoli sings at Mangia Italiana

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10574137
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:On two recent visits, the food was ready when promised and carefully packaged — hot dishes in cardboard boxes or tin-foil pans with plastic domed lids so the cheese doesn't stick, cold dishes in plastic clamshells, everything neatly labeled. The hot stuff was still hot, the cold still cold when we got it home 15 minutes later. And very little remained once we started eating.

I loved the meatball chunks appetizer — quartered meatballs swimming in a sweetly potent sugo (a tomato sauce that's simmered eight to 10 hours) with broiled cheese and a sprinkling of dried Italian herbs. You can dig in with utensils, but I like it better with the toasted garlic bread chunks that come with the creamy artichoke and spinach dip.
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Of the pizzas, my favorite was the rosso — melted whole milk mozzarella, Asiago, Romano, Parmesan and provolone cheeses atop a fresh, chunky and barely cooked tomato sauce on a lightly puffed crust that's more thick than thin. (Note to Catholics: It's a good choice for Lent.) For some reason I think it tastes better cut in squares. The 16-inch "large" pie automatically comes that way. Other sizes are served in wedges unless you ask.

My own concoction — chopped up meatballs, house-roasted red peppers and provolone — was pretty good, too. (Mangia has a nice selection of topping choices and will customize, not just halves but quarters, to suit picky eaters.)

And meat-lovers will love the carne supreme's even layering of ground beef, sausage, ham, bacon and pepperoni.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I have heard it is good and even though I drive close by twice a day havent tried it yet.

http://www.mangiaitaliana.com/
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Their food is excellent.   We get food from there once a week or so.  Their pizzas are as beautiful as they are delicious.  All the pastas are great.  Even their lettuce salads are somehow crisper, fresher, tastier than average.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

People have highly recommended that I try Mangia.  I have family that orders pizza from there quite often.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I forgot to say I had Mangia on Saturday.  Excellent!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mangia Italiana will be closed for Vacation from Sunday July 25th - Sunday Aug 1st...

We will reopen on our 3rd anniversay on Monday Aug 2nd.  Thank you for a great 3 years we appreciate your business!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I was told yesterday that they are providing the food for the Irvington Street Dance which I think is this Saturday night.
omahayum
New to the Neighborhood

Mangia Italianan on Omaha Yum Blog

Post by omahayum »

Mangia Italiana 5-18-2008
Omaha Yum wrote:For some time I have been hearing about a little Italian place up in Irvington that had great food. Well today I spent the day working in that area, and had my sights set on giving Mangia Italiana a try.

I will admit, I was a little skeptical, was it really as good as people had told me? Well when I walked through the door, the wonderful aroma hit me in the face and I knew I was in for a treat! The blend of scents coming from the kitchen were hypnotic. I could not wait to get a slice of pizza. So I ordered up a slice and headed out to eat it. WOW, warm cheesy pizza with real tomato pizza sauce and a wonder blend of Italian seasonings that just melted in your mouth. I am a believer! Irvington has a slice of Little Italy and Mangia Italiana is it!
Check out the rest of my review on my blog:
http://omahayum.blogspot.com/2010/05/ma ... -2008.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nichole Aksamit, OWH wrote:Mangia Italiana began a long-awaited expansion project this week. Co-owner Tony Constantino said his Italian takeout spot northwest of 90th Street and Sorensen Parkway is expanding its kitchen and adding a dining room with about three dozen seats. A patio and a liquor license are also in the works. Constantino said Mangia remains open throughout the construction, which is expected to wrap up in the next two to three months.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100903/E ... ning-notes
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I had lunch here today and found out that they do not take reservations, nor to they have a wait staff on weekdays. You place your order up front and they deliver it to your table. I saw they had Fat Tire (I guess the most common micro found in Omaha these days :roll: ) and noticed a 312 in their fridge. I asked what it was, and she said, "oh, a beer." again :roll:

I guess their dining room is an add on, from reading previous posts. I heard it was small (Thanks Brad) but didn't realize how small it was. 3 booths (can fit 4 since there were 4 firemen in the booth next to us) and 4 or 5 tables, so almost room for 3 dozen people.

I had the Chicken Diane, and it was wonderful, all that I could expect from this place. My friend had the Shrimp Scampi (she ordered it with spaghetti noodles (you can chose your noodles in their dishes) but got fettuccini, and thought there were too few shrimp in the dish.

I would give it above average rating and would go back and try a few other dishes...

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Wow.  Had their lunch too today.  We had it delivered for a noon meeting at work!  

Coyote wrote:I had lunch here today and found out that they do not take reservations, nor to they have a wait staff on weekdays. You place your order up front and they deliver it to your table. I saw they had Fat Tire (I guess the most common micro found in Omaha these days :roll: ) and noticed a 312 in their fridge. I asked what it was, and she said, "oh, a beer." again :roll:

I guess their dining room is an add on, from reading previous posts. I heard it was small (Thanks Brad) but didn't realize how small it was. 3 booths (can fit 4 since there were 4 firemen in the booth next to us) and 4 or 5 tables, so almost room for 3 dozen people.

I had the Chicken Diane, and it was wonderful, all that I could expect from this place. My friend had the Shrimp Scampi (she ordered it with spaghetti noodles (you can chose your noodles in their dishes) but got fettuccini, and thought there were too few shrimp in the dish.

I would give it above average rating and would go back and try a few other dishes...

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I guess their dining room is an add on, from reading previous posts. I heard it was small (Thanks Brad) but didn't realize how small it was. 3 booths (can fit 4 since there were 4 firemen in the booth next to us) and 4 or 5 tables, so almost room for 3 dozen people.
Yep, that's all new.  When they opened, nothing other than that room where you order and the kitchen were there.

nebugeater wrote:Wow.  Had their lunch too today.  We had it delivered for a noon meeting at work!  
That's the only reason half of our office knows about it.  Some concrete or sewer pipe distributor brought it in for us.

I have been going there for a while since I use to live right down the street.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Mangia Italiana (6516 Irvington Road)

Post by Coyote »

Can anyone confirm that Mangia is about to expand again?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Can anyone confirm that Mangia is about to expand again?
Coincidentally, we did lunch there just a while back and there was some chit-chat between the guy on line in front of me at the counter and the employees about "they bought some property" and such, but I did not hear anything about expansion specifically (LOL, nor did I ask). :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Surprised to see they are 'Only' celebrating 15 years? Seems like its been longer than that.

Place still rocks! My team just catered a work lunch from there and it was great as well!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I really enjoy Mangia Italiana, but it couldn't be more inconveniently located for me. I'm happy to hear they may be expanding. If you've ever tried dining in there during meal rushes it's a bit packed. IIRC, SBH wasn't too thrilled they won her pizza bracket.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:58 am I really enjoy Mangia Italiana, but it couldn't be more inconveniently located for me. I'm happy to hear they may be expanding. If you've ever tried dining in there during meal rushes it's a bit packed. IIRC, SBH wasn't too thrilled they won her pizza bracket.
Their pizza is not my fave, but their pasta dishes are excellent.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:20 pm Did I hear that Mangia’s is opening a second location - but only a take out location, I think I heard this on Grow Omaha this morning…
Correct From Mangia's Facebook Page last Tuesday:
Mangia Italiana wrote:The possibilities are endless….
15 years with our amazing customers! Inquiring minds want to know. Where would you like to see a Mangia Italiana TO GO location open up?!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GrowOmaha wrote:Mangia Italiana, the popular Italian caterer and restaurant at 7516 Irvington Road, is considering opening a second (takeout only) location. The business recently posted a poll on its Facebook page asking followers to vote for Elkhorn, Midtown, southwest Omaha, Bellevue, Papillion, Ralston or Millard.