Hiro 88 (Old Market)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Hiro 88 (Old Market)

Post by Coyote »

Hiro Sushi owner plans Old Market spot
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The owner of Hiro Sushi plans to open a new 180-seat sushi restaurant and lounge called Hiro 88 in the Old Market this summer. Milton Yin said Monday that he secured a lease on the first floor of jLofts on the Market, the new condominiums northwest of 13th and Jackson Streets, and has hired a Chicago firm to give the 5,000-square-foot space an environmentally friendly, "big-city" design.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

It's going to be an all out Old Market sushi war.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

the1wags wrote:It's going to be an all out Old Market sushi war.
There will be much finger snapping and singing.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ooooh! "Big city design"! How exotic and new for Omaha!

:barf:  

Anyway, it sounds cool. I look forward to seeing it thrive, even though I don't care for sushi.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

And to think...  when I moved back in July '05 you had the choice of Matsu or Matsu.  

And remember...  the Old Market can handle four sushi places, but the demographics are just wrong for retail.   :roll:
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Big E wrote:
And to think...  when I moved back in July '05 you had the choice of Matsu or Matsu.  

And remember...  the Old Market can handle four sushi places, but the demographics are just wrong for retail.   :roll:
Haha, exactly... :roll:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Actually there are more than a half dozen sushi spots in town...maybe closer to a dozen.  My favorite little hole in the wall is Sushiyama in LaVista.  Blue also does excellent sushi, and in such an artistic manner that even Streets should appreciate it!  

I have yet to try Hiro, but look forward to another addition to the OM restaurant scene.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Big E wrote:

Everybody knows that people either eat, or shop.  But never both.  Especially not in the same evening.
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nativeomahan wrote:Actually there are more than a half dozen sushi spots in town...maybe closer to a dozen.
I meant specifically downtown/Old Market.  You know, the places that matter. :;):
Stable genius.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Another fine addition to Downtown.  I hope they can all survive.
where the corn meets the concrete
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

They opened this week.  Just ate there.  While service isn't quite at 100% as of yet, the food was top notch.  Very trendy styling as well.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We ate there Friday night.  Not quite a disaster,  but close.  No sushi!  No tempura dipping sauce!  And this was at a sushi restaurant.  Also one of our party had his martini served to him in a highball glass.  Our server nearly spilled an entire pot of hot tea in my lap.
What food we did receive was quite good.  And the place is stylish enough I suppose.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

nativeomahan wrote:We ate there Friday night.  Not quite a disaster,  but close.  No sushi!  No tempura dipping sauce!  And this was at a sushi restaurant.  Also one of our party had his martini served to him in a highball glass.  Our server nearly spilled an entire pot of hot tea in my lap.
What food we did receive was quite good.  And the place is stylish enough I suppose.
Yikes! Sounds like they have some major kinks to work out, and hopefully quick!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Lol - a Martini in a highball glass. I wouldn't haven given a |expletive|, but it's funny, nonetheless.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Review: Focus on fare and feel makes Hiro 88 a hit

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100618/E ... o-88-a-hit
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:...one of the best restaurants to open in Omaha this year: Hiro 88.

The sushi, Japanese and Chinese restaurant on the Old Market's fringe is a bigger, more urbane version of northwest Omaha's Hiro Sushi.

Milton Yin, the chef and owner of both, estimates he spent $1.75 million to launch the new restaurant in the jLofts building near 13th and Jackson Streets in April.
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:You can order sushi from a checklist menu, but combinations on the main menu offer more variety for the money if you're not sharing.

The platter I tried at lunch was beautiful, fresh and satisfying. The sushi and sashimi combination always involves two kinds of maki (the seaweed-paper-wrapped rolls most of us think of as sushi), four pieces of nigiri (raw fish on top of finger-sized pillows of sushi rice) and six pieces of sashimi (precisely cut seafood, sans rice).
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Yin said he chose Hiro 88 because eight's a lucky number in Chinese: “Double eight, double luck.”

I think Omaha's doubly lucky to have this new Hiro, whatever its name.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Hiro 88 (Old Market)

Post by Coyote »

I'm surprised we don't have a thread on the original Hiro... But, the West Maple Hiro will be closed for three to four months beginning March 22, for renovations...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:I'm surprised we don't have a thread on the original Hiro... But, the West Maple Hiro will be closed for three to four months beginning March 22, for renovations...

Could that indicate the one in West O near 180th & Q will be opening by these dates? Have not seen anything on it's opening yet and the last update in that there was your picture before the end of the year.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Soon. End of March, early April I've been told.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Could that indicate the one in West O near 180th & Q will be opening by these dates? Have not seen anything on it's opening yet and the last update in that there was your picture before the end of the year.
We ate at the downtown Hiro last night and our server just finished his training and is working downtown until the new Hiro opens. He told us the date, but I didn't pay attention when it was.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:I'm surprised we don't have a thread on the original Hiro... But, the West Maple Hiro will be closed for three to four months beginning March 22, for renovations...
Whoa! This will be a $1.2M renovation!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's crazy, I always thought that one was really neat inside.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:That's crazy, I always thought that one was really neat inside.
I do as well, but we were there last Friday and it was getting a bit long in the tooth.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Can't find a thread on the new Hiro Millard location, but wanted to let folks know that this is their opening weekend. I was at a Friends and Family event there last night. They were putting some huge volume through for a "soft" opening. A nice combo of the very modern styling from the OM location with the wood that was heavily featured in the West Maple location. Same menu as other locations. Plus many of the staff moved over from the Maple location which is now closed for renovation, so not your typical "new restaurant" hiccups frequently seen.

While I'm not a huge fan of going all the way out to 172nd and Q, from what I hear from friends in the area, this is a sorely needed addition to the dining scene out there, and should be heavily frequented by the locals in that part of town
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Ben wrote:Can't find a thread on the new Hiro Millard location, but wanted to let folks know that this is their opening weekend. I was at a Friends and Family event there last night. They were putting some huge volume through for a "soft" opening. A nice combo of the very modern styling from the OM location with the wood that was heavily featured in the West Maple location. Same menu as other locations. Plus many of the staff moved over from the Maple location which is now closed for renovation, so not your typical "new restaurant" hiccups frequently seen.

While I'm not a huge fan of going all the way out to 172nd and Q, from what I hear from friends in the area, this is a sorely needed addition to the dining scene out there, and should be heavily frequented by the locals in that part of town

Here is the topic

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 88#p249091
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!