Good Asian Food

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Padre
Human Relations

Re: Good Asian Food

Post by Padre »

On Wednesday we were in Golden Palace Express, on 84th and Dodge, we go there every couple of months. The owner told us someone had bought the building, then bought out their lease, so they were going to move. She didn't know where they would be going yet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Padre wrote:On Wednesday we were in Golden Palace Express, on 84th and Dodge, we go there every couple of months. The owner told us someone had bought the building, then bought out their lease, so they were going to move. She didn't know where they would be going yet.
Pinnacle Bank bought this a few weeks ago.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Pinnacle Bank bought this a few weeks ago.
One would assume that Pinnacle lost their lease when HDR sold their buildings to Childrens?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Pinnacle Bank bought this a few weeks ago.
One would assume that Pinnacle lost their lease when HDR sold their buildings to Childrens?
That was what I was thinking...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Salween Thai is slated to open a new location in the old Parker’s BBQ slot at 74th and Pacific. It will be a nice addition to the neighborhood.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote:Salween Thai is slated to open a new location in the old Parker’s BBQ slot at 74th and Pacific. It will be a nice addition to the neighborhood.
That would be awesome!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Coyote wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Salween Thai is slated to open a new location in the old Parker’s BBQ slot at 74th and Pacific. It will be a nice addition to the neighborhood.
That would be awesome!
Yep. Recently, the New Gold Mountain location in Ak Village has been my central city location for good Chinese and Vietnamese food. Nice to see the expansion of this general cuisine. With the Burmese immigration, it would be interesting to see a Pop Up or some street food vendor selling that food.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Dandelion pop-up this year opens on April 20 with Kathmandu Momo Station. It a new nepalese dumpling concept. Tried their pop up at scriptown brewing a week ago and it was fantastic.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

onelocalfoods wrote:Dandelion pop-up this year opens on April 20 with Kathmandu Momo Station. It a new nepalese dumpling concept. Tried their pop up at scriptown brewing a week ago and it was fantastic.
Where will this be?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed1 wrote:
onelocalfoods wrote:Dandelion pop-up this year opens on April 20 with Kathmandu Momo Station. It a new nepalese dumpling concept. Tried their pop up at scriptown brewing a week ago and it was fantastic.
Where will this be?
Here is a new thread about it:
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19058

Its in that chamber kiosk on 13th Street.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:59 pm Salween Thai is slated to open a new location in the old Parker’s BBQ slot at 74th and Pacific. It will be a nice addition to the neighborhood.
Grand opening of Salween Thai on 7425 Pacific Street will be tomorrow, June 11 at 11:00 AM!
Hours are the same as the location on Saddle Creek.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I can’t wait to try it. This part of town doesn’t have many restaurants that focus solely on Thai food. Several Asian fusion places, which are great, but Thai food is one of my favorites.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:40 pm I can’t wait to try it. This part of town doesn’t have many restaurants that focus solely on Thai food. Several Asian fusion places, which are great, but Thai food is one of my favorites.
IMO Salween is the best thai in the city. Enjoy!
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Tried Salween Thai (ended up going twice) on a recent visit to Omaha. Good stuff. Saigon Surface, Ika Ramen and Hiro88 were also very good. If you like sushi, Umami in Bellevue is as good as it gets, anywhere----also went twice. Can you tell I like Asian food? Off topic, but Stirnella was killer.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Golden Bowl in Bellevue has some of the best Peanut Butter Chicken, Orange Chicken and combination fried rice I’ve ever had..

Their web page/menu-

http://goldenbowlbellevue.com/menu/

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:54 pm Golden Bowl Chinese down in Bellevue is excellent. It's ran by the same owners that opened Hunan Garden at 132 and West Center 30 years ago (now its Hunan Fusion. Different owners/menu and not close to being as good)..

Golden Bowl has basically the same menu as the original Hunan Garden (and that's a VERY GOOD thing)-

http://goldenbowlbellevue.com/

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Wasn't Hunan Garden off 90th and Fort? The Golden Bowl owners started House of Hunan. You are right, it is still excellent. My favorite Chinese restaurant in the Omaha area.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

BPHusker wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:54 pm Golden Bowl Chinese down in Bellevue is excellent. It's ran by the same owners that opened Hunan Garden at 132 and West Center 30 years ago (now its Hunan Fusion. Different owners/menu and not close to being as good)..

Golden Bowl has basically the same menu as the original Hunan Garden (and that's a VERY GOOD thing)-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Wasn't Hunan Garden off 90th and Fort? The Golden Bowl owners started House of Hunan. You are right, it is still excellent. My favorite Chinese restaurant in the Omaha area.
I don’t know about 90th and Fort.. But the Hunan Garden on 132nd just north of Center St is where the current Golden Bowl owners worked before leaving and opening Golden Bowl in Bellevue. Same menu and same great food :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Regarding 90th and Fort, I think you may be thinking of Canton House. It was a fantastic restaurant, and I miss it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just tried the Peanut Butter Chicken at Golden Bowl last month, and I would say that it was very good. Not ever having it before, I didn't know what to expect, but it was great.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:30 pm Just tried the Peanut Butter Chicken at Golden Bowl last month, and I would say that it was very good. Not ever having it before, I didn't know what to expect, but it was great.
It’s fantastic indeed. When you go back, try the Orange Chicken next. I think you’ll enjoy it as much as the peanut butter :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I don’t know about 90th and Fort.. But the Hunan Garden on 132nd just north of Center St is where the current Golden Bowl owners worked before leaving and opening Golden Bowl in Bellevue. Same menu and same great food :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It was House of Hunan. I frequented it for 20+ years. Hunan Fusion is there now.

Here is an article about the owners:
https://www.omaha.com/sarpy/bellevue/fo ... c3715.html
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

BPHusker wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:20 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It was House of Hunan. I frequented it for 20+ years. Hunan Fusion is there now.

Here is an article about the owners:
https://www.omaha.com/sarpy/bellevue/fo ... c3715.html
That’s right- it was House of Hunan. I always get the name mixed up.. and that location is less than a mile from my residence. I frequented House of Hunan many times over the years.. I love the fact I can still sample the same menu with the same quality at Golden Bowl.. I just wish it was closer- it’s quite the drive from my residence now...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Anyone have suggestions for really good, and really authentic Chinese food? Stuff that someone from Beijing would recognize as actual Chinese food?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 pm Anyone have suggestions for really good, and really authentic Chinese food? Stuff that someone from Beijing would recognize as actual Chinese food?
From the New Gold Mountain website-

"Our home recipes from China are made in the old-style, as they were created and prepared generations ago. To maintain our high standard, great care goes into every detail, ensuring quality with each meal.

The next time someone says that Chinese food isn’t healthy, we’re proud to say they haven’t been to the "New Gold Mountain"

Please choose from our wide variety of popular Chinese dishes and taste why New Gold Mountain is the LEADER in quality Chinese food."...

The site link:

http://newgoldmountain.com/home.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Went to High Peak (Burmese/Thai) on 78th with a group of 8. It's one of my new/favorite Asian places. Everyone raved about their food. I can't get over how inexpensive it is. Went back a few days later for lunch.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ricko wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:03 am Went to High Peak (Burmese/Thai) on 78th with a group of 8. It's one of my new/favorite Asian places. Everyone raved about their food. I can't get over how inexpensive it is. Went back a few days later for lunch.
I’ve added High Peak to my “need to try list”. The place looks like a winner-

https://www.highpeakasianrestaurant.com/

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

We have done take out twice and went there once. Very enjoyable.
Professor Woland
Library Board

The Banh Mi Shop in Bellevue is amazing. It's also really inexpensive.
DennyMarkham
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DennyMarkham »

China Taste has really good fried dumplings and Golden Bowl in Bellevue has great hot & sour soup!
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

For Chinese, Blue and Fly at 72nd Crossing (Pet Smart/Dunkin Donuts strip mall).
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

lisanstan wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:06 pm For Chinese, Blue and Fly at 72nd Crossing (Pet Smart/Dunkin Donuts strip mall).
I'm trying so hard to like Blue & Fly because they are so close to me and they are so nice, and I can tell they really care about their product. But I haven't found "my dish" yet. Any suggestions? I love super spicy and brown sauce, chicken, beef or tofu. + all the veggies.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm a big fan of Golden Palace at 132nd and Maple, best Hot and Sour soup I have had anywhere.

I also like Dragon Wok at 144th and Maple, it's newer but has been very good on both visits.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ricko wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:03 am Went to High Peak (Burmese/Thai) on 78th with a group of 8. It's one of my new/favorite Asian places. Everyone raved about their food. I can't get over how inexpensive it is. Went back a few days later for lunch.
Finally made it over to High Peak this past Saturday. Their Pad Thai was excellent and I enjoyed their egg rolls. I’ll definitely be going back :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Try their Karen dishes next time.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Shahi Indian, downtown on Farnam, is excellent, and a very attractive restaurant. One of our longtime “go to” Asian places is Crystal Jade. And China Garden is by far our favorite Chinese restaurant. There are many good Thai places in the city. Same with Sushi places.
Professor Woland
Library Board

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:05 pm Shahi Indian, downtown on Farnam, is excellent, and a very attractive restaurant. One of our longtime “go to” Asian places is Crystal Jade. And China Garden is by far our favorite Chinese restaurant. There are many good Thai places in the city. Same with Sushi places.
Shahi is my favorite Indian restaurant in town. I hope they can update the ceiling at some point, but other than that, I concur, it's an attractive space and the food is excellent.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:05 pm Shahi Indian, downtown on Farnam, is excellent, and a very attractive restaurant. One of our longtime “go to” Asian places is Crystal Jade. And China Garden is by far our favorite Chinese restaurant. There are many good Thai places in the city. Same with Sushi places.
What are your favorite dishes at said restaurants?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Coyote wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 pm
What are your favorite dishes at said restaurants?
I’m not much into super spicy food, so no vindaloo for me. I love Indian foods with coconut based curry sauces. Since much of Indian cuisine is vegetarian, about half the time I will go for a vegetarian dish. The soups ( often lentil or mulligatawny) are also favorites of mine. The Mulligatawny soup at Jaipur is heaven sent, and the lentil soup at Shahi is a delight. Try them both with lemon juice.

I love sushi, but by no means am I a gourmet. But I’m way beyond ordering California Rolls. I really love cooked Japanese food, especially yakitori, soba and udon dishes. Tempura veggies and shrimp are also favorites.

When it comes to Thai food Tom Yum soup is delicious, despite the fact I am not much for mushrooms. And any curry or basil focused dishes go to the front of the line.

At China Garden the two menus are humongous, I believe totaling about 40 pages! I typically order one item from the Americanized Chinese menu plus something from the authentic Chinese menu. Tofu dishes are a favorite. I tend to push the spice level up a bit in Chinese restaurants, as compared with Thai or Indian places, where I typically order only a 1 or 2 on a 1-5 heat scale.

Lately I’ve enjoyed Korean food, which I am still becoming familiar with. Korean food is by its nature spicy, so I watch what I eat.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Had the combination fried rice at Golden Bowl tonight down in Bellevue.. So good..

It’s definitely worth the drive from west Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:32 pm Had the combination fried rice at Golden Bowl tonight down in Bellevue.. So good..

It’s definitely worth the drive from west Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Golden Bowl is probably one of the best "American" chinese restaurants in the metro. We have gone there about 10 times and love it. Our only problem was on Valentine's Day last year. We called ahead to order take out and they said it would be an hour. We arrived about 1hr 20min later and were told that they hadn't even started the order since they were so busy. I don't understand how it takes 1.5 hrs to throw some frozen chicken into the fryer and put some rice into a container. Either way, the food was still great as always and they have very generous portions.
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.