Dundee Dell (50th and Underwood)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

How do we not have a Dundee Dell thread....

http://www.dundeedell.com/

Scotch Tasting

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090731/E ... /707319885
Omaha World-Herald wrote:The Dundee Dell hosts its annual tasting of its 10 finest single-malt Scotches at 4 p.m. Sunday and again at 7 p.m. Thursday. Cost is $100 per person. The brands: Glen Keith, Balvenie, Glenlossie, North Port, Rosebank, Glenfarclas, Brora, Bruichladdich, Coleburn and Laphroaig. For information or reservations, call 553-9501
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It's back:

Tastings
Omaha World-Herald — Nichole Aksamit wrote:Like Scotch? Check out one of several tastings at the Dundee Dell, which specializes in all things single-malt. There's the annual primer, “Scotch 101,” at 7 p.m. Thursday and 4 p.m. Sept. 19. There's a tasting of 12 Bruichladdich whiskeys at 7 p.m. Sept. 21. And there's a Tullibardine whiskey tasting at 7 p.m. Oct. 4. Cost for each is $50 per person.
lisanstan
Library Board

Dundee Dell and Shucks

Post by lisanstan »

Let's try this again! If I end up with a double post it's my stupid laptop.

I heard an odd rumor at work today. Guy stops by my desk and we're talking about The Dundee Dell and fish and chips. He said he was talking to someone (I don't know who) and they said that Shucks bought the Dell. The guy (or whoever it was) was talking about all the work that would need to be done to update the dell and make it look less worn out. He made it sound like most of the changes would be cosmetic. So I thought it was odd that Shucks was mentioned because I know the parent company is Absolutely Fresh.

I did a board search but didn't see anything?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Dundee Dell and Shucks

Post by daveoma »

Exciting, I hope it's true!
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Dundee Dell and Shucks

Post by nativeomahan »

Me too. The Dell needs work.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Re: Dundee Dell (50th and Underwood)

Post by jelizh »

Cosmetic updates planned as Dundee Dell changes hands
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Greg Lindberg, owner of Absolutely Fresh Seafood and Shucks Fish House restaurants, purchased the midtown staple this week. He plans to keep it as it is with a few cosmetic updates. He said he’ll take over the restaurant by the first of July.
http://www.omaha.com/go/cosmetic-update ... 95721.html

I'm glad this is true, the Dell is in need of a little rejuvenating!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great News! I have always really liked the Dell!
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

I heard this weekend that the former Dundee Dell spot is going to become another Barchen Location.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

BIGO88 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:22 am I heard this weekend that the former Dundee Dell spot is going to become another Barchen Location.
Three locations seems like sort of an overkill.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Linkin5 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:06 pm
BIGO88 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:22 am I heard this weekend that the former Dundee Dell spot is going to become another Barchen Location.
Three locations seems like sort of an overkill.
Agreed, at least they could rebrand one of them to a different name.
Jins123
Home Owners Association

Post by Jins123 »

Agreed, at least they could rebrand one of them to a different name.
[/quote]

He might be doing that, I’ve heard rumors of numerous places this owner has bought in Benson with different ideas for them, not being Barchen

I’ve also heard from former Barchen employees that it’s been difficult in dealing with the city for the Blackstone location, that hill that sits there needs to be leveled, and they’ve spoken about the nuisance of dealing with it. So, maybe they bowed out of the Blackstone one and are doing this instead. I think the Dundee location Barchen is a better idea than the Blackstone one
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Barchen is not buying the dell.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

onelocalfoods wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 pm Barchen is not buying the dell.
Oh, really? Do you have more intel? Very interesante...
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Louie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:23 am
He probably went to Bärchen, ordered a beer, and asked the owner. :) Craziness!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 am
Louie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:23 am
He probably went to Bärchen, ordered a beer, and asked the owner. :) Craziness!
SOUNDS LIKE SOME SPY WORK TO ME
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Can you elaborate on this one..Your source etc?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

Someone bought the Dell. I am only saying that, because they have been working inside for over a month.
laserdisque
Home Owners Association

Post by laserdisque »

A few months back there were Shucks/Absolutely Fresh Seafood vans parked outside for a few days straight. Could be something.
Beach Dad
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

laserdisque wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:11 pm A few months back there were Shucks/Absolutely Fresh Seafood vans parked outside for a few days straight. Could be something.
Fish and chips shop? Or a chippy as they call them.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:19 am
laserdisque wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:11 pm A few months back there were Shucks/Absolutely Fresh Seafood vans parked outside for a few days straight. Could be something.
Fish and chips shop? Or a chippy as they call them.
I believe they have been owned by the Shucks people that past few years.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

That would be because Greg Lindberg of Absolutely Fresh Seafood/Schucks/Baileys has owned Dundee Dell for the past 4 years. He is also the one that is closing it. So no it really isn't anything.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Dundee Dell to hope to reopen in the spring with new ownership.

https://www.ketv.com/article/dundee-del ... g/35246386
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, this is some encouraging news.. I hope their reopening comes to fruition at some point...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great to see it back open. I even recognized 2 guys in the Scotch Club.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I'll have to go back b/c when I went I think it was the first week they were open and I think they are still in a soft open, but I really wasn't a big fan of what they did with the remodel. Didn't really feel like a place I would be drawn back to if it didn't carry the name.

I will be sure to give it another shot, but kinda meh first impression at the moment.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I’ve heard nothing but bad reviews. Not sure why someone thought it was a good idea to completely scrap what they had before and start over.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

In this week’s “Grow Omaha Eats with Sarah Baker Hansen,” we review the new Dundee Dell. You’ll feel hungry after reading this review!

https://growomaha.com/the-dundee-dell-i ... of-locals/
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Talked to one of the investors in the Dundee Dell. He told me a lot of people he talks to didn't realize that they had re-opened.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

I really dislike the change in ambience they chose. Curious what others think.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Louie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:42 am I really dislike the change in ambience they chose. Curious what others think.
Is it still a great place for fish and chips? When I lived nearby that was my go to at that place. But that was also around 2001-2002 timeframe.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

djc311 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:53 am
Louie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:42 am I really dislike the change in ambience they chose. Curious what others think.
Is it still a great place for fish and chips? When I lived nearby that was my go to at that place. But that was also around 2001-2002 timeframe.
I haven't tried them since they re-opened, but here is Sarah Baker Hansen's Review:
Sarah Baker Hansen wrote:The feedback led them to make the most noticeable menu changes. And these changes begin with the item the Dell is most known for: Those fish and chips.

The dish has been reinvented. Miller said the restaurant buys the highest quality cod it can find, and that’s clear after the first bite. The white fish is firm and flaky, and the breading is medium-thick, crispy, airy and hot as heck when it’s served. Fried fish can get greasy, and sometimes the breading pulls away from the meat, but that doesn’t happen here. The flavor is clean and light in spite of the dip in hot oil.

Miller said the fish is dipped in curry-spiked beer batter every 30 minutes, to make sure each diner gets the freshest plate the kitchen can make. Fun fact: The restaurant tried about 50 fish recipes before landing on this one. That due diligence worked out just fine.

The potato coins have been replaced with crisp-tender French fries, and the paper bag for serving has been replaced with a long rectangular plate and a British flag spiked into one filet.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Brad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:57 am
djc311 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:53 am
I haven't tried them since they re-opened, but here is Sarah Baker Hansen's Review:
Sarah Baker Hansen wrote:The feedback led them to make the most noticeable menu changes. And these changes begin with the item the Dell is most known for: Those fish and chips.

The dish has been reinvented. Miller said the restaurant buys the highest quality cod it can find, and that’s clear after the first bite. The white fish is firm and flaky, and the breading is medium-thick, crispy, airy and hot as heck when it’s served. Fried fish can get greasy, and sometimes the breading pulls away from the meat, but that doesn’t happen here. The flavor is clean and light in spite of the dip in hot oil.

Miller said the fish is dipped in curry-spiked beer batter every 30 minutes, to make sure each diner gets the freshest plate the kitchen can make. Fun fact: The restaurant tried about 50 fish recipes before landing on this one. That due diligence worked out just fine.

The potato coins have been replaced with crisp-tender French fries, and the paper bag for serving has been replaced with a long rectangular plate and a British flag spiked into one filet.
IC - so it sounds they did a lot and it now costs $20?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

djc311 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:48 pm so it sounds they did a lot and it now costs $20?
Fish & Chips (1 piece) - $9
Fish & Chips (2 piece) - $13
Fish & Chips (3 piece) - $16

Doesn't seem that much different that the previous owner? Factor in the inflation right now, seem about right.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I can get way shitti3r food in this town for about the same price; I'll take the Dell's f&c for $16 that they actually put effort into.

Source: Applebees sells fish (3pcs) & chips for $14.90 /dryheave
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Brad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:51 pm
djc311 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:48 pm so it sounds they did a lot and it now costs $20?
Fish & Chips (1 piece) - $9
Fish & Chips (2 piece) - $13
Fish & Chips (3 piece) - $16

Doesn't seem that much different that the previous owner? Factor in the inflation right now, seem about right.
Hey, that's not bad at all! Perhaps we'll have to roll down there sometime and try it out under the new owners!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I actually don't mind the food and I know this probably isn't fair, but I have a visceral aversion to what they did with the space. It absolutely needed an update, but I feel like I'm eating in a cheap Airbnb rehab, not the Dell. Not very rational, but can't shake the feeling when I go in.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:51 pm
I actually don't mind the food and I know this probably isn't fair, but I have a visceral aversion to what they did with the space. It absolutely needed an update, but I feel like I'm eating in a cheap Airbnb rehab, not the Dell. Not very rational, but can't shake the feeling when I go in.
They couldn't have picked a more polar opposite decor compared to the old place.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Louie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 pm
iamjacobm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:51 pm
They couldn't have picked a more polar opposite decor compared to the old place.
I miss their original location on Dodge St - that was the BEST space for their business.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

WWII bomb over Dundee a reminder of Nebraska's war hisitory

Balloon bomb that exploded over Dundee one of many that made its way to the U.S. during WWII.