Brix Wine and Spirits (CLOSING)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Re: Brix Wine and Spirits (CLOSING)

Post by bbinks »

On another note, someone needs to put a lien on his nearly million dollar home. Pay off the mortgage lender first. What little is left can be measly split between those others who were victims of this con artist.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

bbinks wrote:On another note, someone needs to put a lien on his nearly million dollar home. Pay off the mortgage lender first. What little is left can be measly split between those others who were victims of this con artist.
Unless he was an idiot, limited liability rules would protect personal assets.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The twin brix locations should be roped off as crime scenes. They send schmucks to prison for stealing $100 at a kwik shop. This guy needs to spend the rest of his life in prison if he doesn't make everyone whole. Especially those who recently bought gift cards.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

omaha79 wrote:
choke wrote:
omaha79 wrote:I've heard they are still doing really cheap leases according to a few people I've talked to. How else would places like a Persian Rug store and Goin Postal be able to afford to be there? How would places like the Chicago Dawg House remain viable without discounted rent? I've honestly never seen that place overly busy.

Per Omaha-World Herald:
One lawsuit filed in Douglas County District Court by East Campus Realty against Midtown Bistro Inc., a corporation representing Brix’s Midtown Crossing location, says Brix owes $112,811 for past due rent from the months of October 2016 through January 2017.
Chump Change
That was essentially one of their anchor stores at MTC. I would like to see what kind of rent they are charging Goin Postal, Persian Rugs, Chicago Dawg House, Hutch, the nail salon, the bubble tea store, etc.
What? You don't think the Dawg House sells 40K worth of hot dogs each month? The Butkus will set you back 6 bucks. And what if you want extra relish? Then what?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

bbinks wrote:Anyone who patronizes Grane is a fool. The owner likely allowed the sale of gift cards the morning before its closure. He likely knew, and did zilch to protect the consumer.
If I had an outstanding Brix gift card, I'd be so tempted to go into Grane, order up a huge order of craft drinks, take one drink out of each one of them, complain they aren't any good and say I'm not paying for them, leave the rest, and walk out. Then, leave my Brix gift card as a tip.

Kinda like a drink and dash, but at least you said the drinks are garbage and didn't finish them so they can't really say you were stealing from them.

Heck, you'd probably get a bigger penalty for walking out on the tab at Grane and getting caught then what the owner is going to get in our world that protects corporate thieves.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

This guy needs to lose all liquor licenses (incl Grane) and have his corporate assets sold to pay debts (incl his shares of Grane).
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

omaha79 wrote:
bbinks wrote:Anyone who patronizes Grane is a fool. The owner likely allowed the sale of gift cards the morning before its closure. He likely knew, and did zilch to protect the consumer.
If I had an outstanding Brix gift card, I'd be so tempted to go into Grane, order up a huge order of craft drinks, take one drink out of each one of them, complain they aren't any good and say I'm not paying for them, leave the rest, and walk out. Then, leave my Brix gift card as a tip.

Kinda like a drink and dash, but at least you said the drinks are garbage and didn't finish them so they can't really say you were stealing from them.

Heck, you'd probably get a bigger penalty for walking out on the tab at Grane and getting caught then what the owner is going to get in our world that protects corporate thieves.
Cash tip, and leave the Brix card as payment. Bad to punish a server whos likely going to be unemployed soon anyway.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

bbinks wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Cash tip, and leave the Brix card as payment. Bad to punish a server whos likely going to be unemployed soon anyway.
Don't do that, they will take your tab out of the server's pay. Scum bags like this surely wouldn't look at that as a teachable moment.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Don't do that, they will take your tab out of the server's pay. Scum bags like this surely wouldn't look at that as a teachable moment.
Or, just don't go to Grane at all. Watch that implode too.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

The odds are looking pretty good that he will face criminal charges because of the gift cards. That's what I'm hearing from liquor industry sources.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

bbinks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Best option yet. Went once and was struck by the good cocktails, but crowded with hipsters. Pricey, but not crazy. Didn't really see a need to go back.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just a question...
Will they just not file for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy' like Trump deemed normal...?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:Just a question...
Will they just not file for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy' like Trump deemed normal...?

If this Brix owner can help Trump get that wall built any faster then maybe we can see about giving him a free pass too! Is that what you wanted to hear? :sly:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pathetic knee jerk non sequitur.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

So, I've been using this thread to talk about the struggles that Midtown Crossing is currently facing. I know some have questioned whether or not the development is really having issues. There are some new developments this week.

Lenny's Sub Shop is now closed. I would guess the fact that Mutual of Omaha just opened a Subway in their food court was ultimately the final nail in Lenny's coffin...but, I'm guessing they weren't doing that well beforehand. Those I have talked to indicated there was nothing exceptional about the sandwiches at this place.

Royal Lux is closed. They had a large prominent bay on Farnam Street. I have not heard what, if anything, may move in there next.

As we know, Grane is dead man walking.

With Brix now closed, we are looking at at least 4 open bays in the development to go along with several other bays that are open already. I'm also hearing another business may be closing soon as well, but I don't know which one.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

followup to my previous post:

I was told that 3 Dog Bakery is the other business closing in MTC. I looked today and did see signs on the doors of both 3 Dog Bakery and Lenny's Sub Shop but I didn't go over there to read them.

This week is Mutual of Omaha's national sales conference. I'm wondering if this week could be the last hurrah for Grane. They are sure to make good money this week on out of town sales reps that don't know or care about the situation.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I also like to follow the whole downtown business area. One thing that keeps me concerned is the continuing development. You cannot keep building all over the place and expect things to stay the same. The Capital District will clearly take business away from the Old Market. I would rather go to Aksarben than Mid-Town. The best part of the Capital development is the apartments. 400+ units. That brings density. That is what Mid-Town seems to be missing. Hopefully their intentions to build something to the east will happen.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

swgiust wrote:I also like to follow the whole downtown business area. One thing that keeps me concerned is the continuing development. You cannot keep building all over the place and expect things to stay the same. The Capital District will clearly take business away from the Old Market. I would rather go to Aksarben than Mid-Town. The best part of the Capital development is the apartments. 400+ units. That brings density. That is what Mid-Town seems to be missing. Hopefully their intentions to build something to the east will happen.
My thoughts exactly. Omaha can only support so many "mixed use lifestyle entertainment districts." Between Mid Town Crossing, AkSarBen Village, Village Point, Crossroads, Southport, Shadow Lake, Capital District, Old Market, and the Farm at Boys Town, someone is going to lose here. Omaha isn't growing at a rate that will support all of these developments. It's not organic.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

swgiust wrote:I also like to follow the whole downtown business area. One thing that keeps me concerned is the continuing development. You cannot keep building all over the place and expect things to stay the same. The Capital District will clearly take business away from the Old Market. I would rather go to Aksarben than Mid-Town. The best part of the Capital development is the apartments. 400+ units. That brings density. That is what Mid-Town seems to be missing. Hopefully their intentions to build something to the east will happen.

Between the condo's and and apartments, does Mid-Town Crossing have more or less than 400?

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Greg S wrote:Between the condo's and and apartments, does Mid-Town Crossing have more or less than 400?

Greg
I would be interested to know how many people actually live in mid-town crossing on a permanent or mostly-permanent basis (we'll say over 10 months out of the year).
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

omaha79 wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Omaha can only support so many "mixed use lifestyle entertainment districts." Between Mid Town Crossing, AkSarBen Village, Village Point, Crossroads, Southport, Shadow Lake, Capital District, Old Market, and the Farm at Boys Town, someone is going to lose here. Omaha isn't growing at a rate that will support all of these developments. It's not organic.
Yep.

Would be interesting in a betting line on these. Who dies first? Which big footprint business relocates out of each first? etc.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

bigredmed wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
Yep.

Would be interesting in a betting line on these. Who dies first? Which big footprint business relocates out of each first? etc.
With all the closings this month, Midtown Crossing appears to be in the worst shape right now. They are going all in and betting everything that the expansion to 480 will bring renewed interest in the existing development as well as entice a couple more large businesses to put their offices in the area to get enough people in the area on a day to day basis to make it viable. It's risky, but it's their only choice.

AkSarBen is in the best shape. Between BCBS, First Data, HDR, Pacific Life, and the other small businesses in the area, there is enough organic synergy to make this a viable everyday destination. Attractive apartments and the presence of UNO students make it a slam dunk. Baxter Arena is just an added plus, if anything.

Plus, AkSarBen has the benefit of central location. Location is always going to hamper Mid Town Crossing, to an extent. It's too far from downtown to be a part of it...it doesn't have the same demos as Blackstone clientele and isn't close enough to piggyback off that either. And, you don't have enough people with money living in that area yet.

Capital District is going to have to make its bread and butter off of events at the Century Link Center, TD Ameritrade/CWS, and Slowdown. If it can do that, I can see it doing well. If they drop the ball at all, it could be a tough sell, honestly. There will be a number of lean nights in that development as well, just like Mid Town Crossing...but the nights that are good could be gangbusters.

Crossroads may be a tough sell, and I suspect that's why it's been delayed so many times. Retail is difficult in this environment and as a social scene, it's probably too close to both Mid Town Crossing and AkSarBen...but, with fewer people actually working within walking distance.

I'm interested to see what they do with the farm at Boys Town, but that will ultimately probably just cannibalize business from Oak View and Village Point. So, someone could lose there too.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Best option yet. Went once and was struck by the good cocktails, but crowded with hipsters. Pricey, but not crazy. Didn't really see a need to go back.
Grane will close because the liquor distributors aren't going to sell them liquor. All 3 of the major liquor houses are owed between $90k and $190k by Brix. No way in heck are we selling them a drop. They are going to run dry.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Im going to toss out Southport and Shadow Lake. Southport is pretty much just a Cabela's, movie theater and 2 hotels spread out over quite a few acres. Shadow Lake is closer to L St Marketplace than it is to A/V, MTC or Captiol.

VP is also not really like the others either. It competes more with Oakview and Westroads IMO.

A/V is doing great and will do great for a long time, university and major employers keep it going.

Capitol has one, one publicly announced tenant...Starbucks. They are asking $30 PSF for their retail space per loopnet. Capitol is going to be REALLY interesting. By the nature of the "Entertainment District" they are going to want all bars/restaurants and big ones at that. I am thinking they will have to get something like BWW or Hopcat or more like the theme bars/clubs in P&L? If I was DJ's I would really be considering a move across the street to get in on the open carry fun... Lots of questions here TBH.

MTC has had some revolving door, but I really don't agree with the falling sky talk about the development here. Brix didn't close their midtown location due to poor sales and leave their west location open. They closed both with no notice in a very dubious way, speaks a lot more about Brix being a bad business than MTC being a bad development. And as for the "odd" shops, who cares? If there was a persian rug place in the Old Market it would be quaint and artsy, but in MTC its tacky? According to loopnet MTC is asking for $18 PSF which is probably below "market value" on its face, but if the people running the place would rather have full windows than wait for $25 PSF tenants than more power to them. One thing I can assure you is that even if MTC loses a few tenants they aren't gunna tear the place down and people will still own their condos and the apartments will still be practically 100% full and they will still have great events in the summer that are some of the most well attended things in the city. Although I am kind of shocked that movie theater is still open TBH.

The Old Market is going to need some fresh blood IMO. They got to thrive for decades as the only game in town. It will always have its charm b/c of the built environment, but I think it could use some new ideas to bring it back to what it could be.

The Farm is a 20 year build out. They wont have entertainment options till maybe 2020 also if they run with the similar A/V rollout it took them a while to get a destination vibe Hard to anticipate what they get and how quickly they do it.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I don't see how one can possibly spin 4, maybe 5 closings this month alone as anything less than a huge warning sign. I look at the overall trajectory. Stores close and are replaced by things like Goin Postal. A Persian Rug store may fit in the old market but I absolutely guarantee you that was not what the developers envisioned in the mid 00's. There are few stores there that truly add value to the development that have opened in the last 2-3 years. It's not quite a death spiral by any means, but it's certainly not a resounding success either. I see the current situation as a warning sign, if nothing else.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

And, I lumped all of those developments together as they are all generally large scale ambitious projects that eat up a huge chunk of the retail pie in Omaha. Certainly, some are not the same in terms of look and overall scope. Some do not have a residential component...but, they are all large walkable destinations that have retail along with bars and restaurants.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Louie wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Grane will close because the liquor distributors aren't going to sell them liquor. All 3 of the major liquor houses are owed between $90k and $190k by Brix. No way in heck are we selling them a drop. They are going to run dry.
They'll last as long as they can with the inventory from the 2 Brix stores to leech off of.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:
Louie wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

They'll last as long as they can with the inventory from the 2 Brix stores to leech off of.
I doubt that would be accessible. With the Brix in lock down that will go back to the suppliers and if it does not they will really compound their legal issues and more. If they are truly seperate businesses I doubt their liqueur license would even allow the transfer with out loosing that.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

omaha79 wrote:And, I lumped all of those developments together as they are all generally large scale ambitious projects that eat up a huge chunk of the retail pie in Omaha. Certainly, some are not the same in terms of look and overall scope. Some do not have a residential component...but, they are all large walkable destinations that have retail along with bars and restaurants.
Technically there are bars and restaurants at Village Pointe, but just barely. I don't think many people go to VP for drinks.
Also, since Funny Bone started the 3 item minimum (a few years ago), I stopped going.

Personally I think VP is kinda lame and the developer really dropped the ball on the whole development. With all the medical stuff going in, they can never expand and add entertainment.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
omaha79 wrote:And, I lumped all of those developments together as they are all generally large scale ambitious projects that eat up a huge chunk of the retail pie in Omaha. Certainly, some are not the same in terms of look and overall scope. Some do not have a residential component...but, they are all large walkable destinations that have retail along with bars and restaurants.
Technically there are bars and restaurants at Village Pointe, but just barely. I don't think many people go to VP for drinks.
Also, since Funny Bone started the 3 item minimum (a few years ago), I stopped going.

Personally I think VP is kinda lame and the developer really dropped the ball on the whole development. With all the medical stuff going in, they can never expand and add entertainment.
Kona has a really popular happy hour and the lounge seems busy or steady every time I'm there. Not much else as far as night life at VP though. On the retail side VP crushes the others. Definitely the the busiest shopping district in town. The restaurants do well there too.

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Greg S wrote:Kona has a really popular happy hour and the lounge seems busy or steady every time I'm there. Not much else as far as night life at VP though. On the retail side VP crushes the others. Definitely the the busiest shopping district in town. The restaurants do well there too.

Greg
Yeah, I forgot about Kona. I was thinking of the movie theater, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Funny Bone, Firebird's and Stroud's.

There's also Bravo that I forgot.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:
Louie wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

I doubt that would be accessible. With the Brix in lock down that will go back to the suppliers and if it does not they will really compound their legal issues and more. If they are truly seperate businesses I doubt their liqueur license would even allow the transfer with out loosing that.
Correct, these are actually two seperate LLCs. So the inventory is legally locked up and most likely will be auctioned off by the bank to pay earlier debts. We are most likely SOL.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

It's interesting that we debated the merits of the Persian rug store a bit ago. This is 3rd hand and I certainly can't confirm it, but I went in to look around a 3 Dog Bakery's clearance and the employee working there indicated that he'd heard the Persian rug store may soon be closing too.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well, it certainly lasted longer than I predicted.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.