Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The zoo has a baby Aardvark and 5 lion cubs!
omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

I want to go to the zoo this weekend.  Half their animals and features are indoors anyway.  Good place to avoid cabin fever and get out of the house.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Our family goes to the ZOO in the late fall, winter and spring.  Very rarely are we there in the summer or more specificly when school is out.  IN the cool part of the year there is much to see indoors, on the right days the animals that are outdoors are usually more active, the number of people and strollers is lower making a muych more enjoyable experience.  

We were there on 12/22/12 and I bet there were only 30 cars and maybe 100 people there.  IT was great!
Last edited by nebugeater on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nebugeater wrote:on the right days the animals that are outdoors are usually more active
I went to see the amanils one time, looked everywhere. Could not find a single amanil exibit :)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

:mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We got a real treat at the Zoo today. The mom of the baby Lion Cubs picked one of them up and brought it over to the window for us to see!

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

NICE!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:thumb:
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I hadn't been to Brad's site in a while.  In my opinion it is one of the best photography web sites in the world.  You clearly have an eye and the patience to be a world class photographers.  Keep up the great work.  You'd have a field day in Detroit...or pretty much anywhere.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote:I hadn't been to Brad's site in a while.  In my opinion it is one of the best photography web sites in the world.  You clearly have an eye and the patience to be a world class photographers.  Keep up the great work.  You'd have a field day in Detroit...or pretty much anywhere.
^^^ What he said ^^^
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I hadn't been to Brad's site in a while.  In my opinion it is one of the best photography web sites in the world.  You clearly have an eye and the patience to be a world class photographers.  Keep up the great work.  You'd have a field day in Detroit...or pretty much anywhere.
^^^ What he said ^^^
Thanks Guys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the Zoo FB page.

Inside the new Gift Shop:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Richman Gordman Giraffe?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:The Richman Gordman Giraffe?
Its a Matthew Placzek piece.

http://www.matthewplaczek.com/index.html

Did the Qwest Center, Children's hospital, etc.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

African Lion Cubs born in Dec. have names now. 2 boys, 3 girls. Josiri, taj, kya, leela & Zuri.
Everything opens today...  Safari Park, All Rides, Gift Shop, Etc.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I just came down I 80 East bound to exit onto 13th street.  Lets just say the zoo is having a good day.  IF I didn't know better I would of thought it was an old CWS day.  The traffic was at a complete stop all the way back to the bigining of the exit off of I80 onto 13th South bound.   No accidents or constuction to contribute, just people trying to ge to the zoo.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:I just came down I 80 East bound to exit onto 13th street.  Lets just say the zoo is having a good day.  IF I didn't know better I would of thought it was an old CWS day.  The traffic was at a complete stop all the way back to the bigining of the exit off of I80 onto 13th South bound.   No accidents or constuction to contribute, just people trying to ge to the zoo.
Nice day + all the stuff opening + Easter weekend = Chaos
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I just came down I 80 East bound to exit onto 13th street.  Lets just say the zoo is having a good day.  IF I didn't know better I would of thought it was an old CWS day.  The traffic was at a complete stop all the way back to the bigining of the exit off of I80 onto 13th South bound.   No accidents or constuction to contribute, just people trying to ge to the zoo.
Nice day + all the stuff opening + Easter weekend = Chaos
That new driveway really slows people down too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I like the new sign, "Gateway to the Wild"

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

According to Touropia, HDZ is the largest zoo in the world.

http://www.touropia.com/largest-zoos-in ... s=og.likes
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Reactions To Seeing A Dinosaur: Two Little Girls At The Zoo React Appropriately (PHOTO)
Huffington Post wrote:"Dinosaurs Alive! The Lost Valley" is an exhibit at The Omaha Zoo that looks to be as close to an actual Jurassic Park as you can get. There are 15 animatronic dinosaurs that blink, move their limbs and roar. (Kids can even control two of the figures themselves.)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Haven't been to the zoo in a few years, but i am pretty sure today had to be one of the best days for attendance ever.  We were there at 9:45 and the line at the main entrance was over 30 min long (about 50 deep in each line).  The parking lots were all full as well and many cars were parking on the grass.  I am sure a 75 degree day in the middle of July didn't hurt.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

It was a zoo out there...

Post by HskrFanMike »

At 10 am, the right lane of I-80 was backed up all the way to 24th Street.

Here's my hint for going to the Zoo on busy days.  Do not take 13th Street South.  Take 13th Street North...you don't have to be in the right lane BTW.  Go 1 block north of I-80 and turn right... then turn right onto 10th Street to head south.  Pull into the parking lot, and use the NORTH entrance.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Hopping on 75 South to L and taking that East to 13th is what I would recommend.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I've never understood why there isn't a light at that exit. They should do that and make it a dual right (like WB Center at Industrial).
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

New sign installed at 13th street and Burt Murphy Ave.  Was put in the last couple of weeks.  I like how it looks.

zoo sign-1 by nebugeater, on Flickr

zoo sign-2 by nebugeater, on Flickr
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Meh, it looks a little plain...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

RNcyanide wrote:Meh, it looks a little plain...
These things are so subjective but it looks really lame to me as well.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks Great!  Thanks for the Pics NEB!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I go to the zoo to see what is on the inside of the gates.  As for the sign and why I like it.
It is appropriately sized.
It is not overdone for the area.  If it was some bigger gaudy sign it would not work with the surroundings.  It fits with the neighborhood and with the rest of the zoo.  Put this by TDA park and it would not work.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It gets the job done, I suppose.  But it easily could have been made so much more visually attractive.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nebugeater wrote:I go to the zoo to see what is on the inside of the gates.  As for the sign and why I like it.
It is appropriately sized.
It is not overdone for the area.  If it was some bigger gaudy sign it would not work with the surroundings.  It fits with the neighborhood and with the rest of the zoo.  Put this by TDA park and it would not work.
I wasn't expecting too much from it, I just think it's plain. Not ugly, just not noticeable.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I honestly really like it... it just works.. and a lot of times a sign simple is better than trying to go crazy making up a sign that is only used to direct people to the zoo.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Maybe I haven't been by the Zoo on a Saturday afternoon in late Summer, but it looks like the CWS is in town. Do they really use this much parking this time of year?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Maybe I haven't been by the Zoo on a Saturday afternoon in late Summer, but it looks like the CWS is in town. Do they really use this much parking this time of year?
Pretty common to see it full on weekends
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Leaving work today and I notice as I was looping  from N bound 13th onto W bound 80 tha there was a large metal (prob a tent) structure going up near the old outfield restroom facilities at the zoo.  The structure looks like it could be short term or maybe longer term like the ones used at Warner park that are up all the time.  Anyone know if this is formamsingle event or if it is part ofmtheirmoverall plan for the area?  I do not remember seeing anything long term in this are in their master plan they put out a while back.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:Leaving work today and I notice as I was looping  from N bound 13th onto W bound 80 tha there was a large metal (prob a tent) structure going up near the old outfield restroom facilities at the zoo.  The structure looks like it could be short term or maybe longer term like the ones used at Warner park that are up all the time.  Anyone know if this is formamsingle event or if it is part ofmtheirmoverall plan for the area?  I do not remember seeing anything long term in this are in their master plan they put out a while back.
There was some hubbub about the neighbors not wanting the City Council to pass a temporary liquor license for the zoo.  Maybe something to do with that.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Leaving work today and I notice as I was looping  from N bound 13th onto W bound 80 tha there was a large metal (prob a tent) structure going up near the old outfield restroom facilities at the zoo.  The structure looks like it could be short term or maybe longer term like the ones used at Warner park that are up all the time.  Anyone know if this is formamsingle event or if it is part ofmtheirmoverall plan for the area?  I do not remember seeing anything long term in this are in their master plan they put out a while back.
There was some hubbub about the neighbors not wanting the City Council to pass a temporary liquor license for the zoo.  Maybe something to do with that.
I thought abought that.  Wasn't it a standing license though expanding what they already had and not temp?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
I thought abought that.  Wasn't it a standing license though expanding what they already had and not temp?
Your guess is probably better than mine, I don't remember the details.  Just thought it was funny how a few years ago those people would have beer tents in their front yards, pretty much all I remember.