Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Post by skinzfan23 »

The amphitheater is opening today and is free for the remaining days of June. After that, it will be $3 for members and $4 for non-members for the 20 min show.

Here is a picture from the World Herald:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's the one by the North Entrance, correct? Not the small one by the Elephants that I haven't seen them use yet?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:That's the one by the North Entrance, correct? Not the small one by the Elephants that I haven't seen them use yet?
Correct
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went to the Zoo on Sunday, Louie was already on display and meeting 3 of the other elephants!

Louie is on the left, Kiki on the right. Crappy cell phone pic, real camera photos later:
louie.jpg
louie.jpg (97.32 KiB) Viewed 5698 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Very nice pic Brad :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Anybody know if the area around the new amphitheater is open yet? On the website it says June 2017. I'm speaking of the kid's adventure trail and such.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Anybody know if the area around the new amphitheater is open yet? On the website it says June 2017. I'm speaking of the kid's adventure trail and such.

Greg
From the World Herald: "The Adventure Trails and Conservation Academy will both open June 30, more than a month ahead of schedule."
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Greg S wrote:Anybody know if the area around the new amphitheater is open yet? On the website it says June 2017. I'm speaking of the kid's adventure trail and such.

Greg
From the World Herald: "The Adventure Trails and Conservation Academy will both open June 30, more than a month ahead of schedule."

Very cool, thanks!
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

The bird show was kind of a huge letdown. There is no way I would actually pay money for that.

The zoo seems to be misfiring on all cylinders lately. heck the new kids area has hardly any animals. What a waste of space.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I don't think I would say that they are misfiring on all cylinders. They just opened the largest project in zoo history in the African Grasslands last year. They also are in the construction phase for the next big project. The children's area wasn't meant to have a ton of animals. They moved the prairie dogs there along with some monkeys I believe, but the intention is to have an interactive area where kids can play and their parents not having to worry about them. The zoo has made leaps and bounds in the past decade and continues to do so. So much to the point that I am rethinking visiting the zoo in Milwaukee this summer when I am there because it may be a let down compared to Omaha's. Our zoo is consistently ranked as one of the best in the world and by moving the animals into outdoor exhibits that more closely resemble their natural surroundings, the zoo is very forward thinking.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few pictures of the new children's exhibit:

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

TLGJames wrote:The bird show was kind of a huge letdown. There is no way I would actually pay money for that.

The zoo seems to be misfiring on all cylinders lately. heck the new kids area has hardly any animals. What a waste of space.

I disagree. I was not that thrilled when I heard and read about the new Africa area. However, once I saw it I was blown away. It made me look forward to the upcoming Asia area.

I think it was years ago that the zoo was misfiring. The biggest one being the indoor Madagascar exhibit. I think and maybe it was due to the changeover with directors that the zoo really hit a lull. Also by them creating the master plan might have slowed things down, but we had a pretty decent chunk of time there where nothing major got added (they spruced up the aquarium during this time). Now they seem to have their mojo back. I love how they are grouping the animals together based on region vs species.

If memory serves you were all wound up about the splash pad area too. To me, that takes up a very small footprint and seems to get a lot of activity on the hot days. Also easy to go around if you don't like it. We don't go but have no issue with it.

I have not been to this thing yet but based on the looks my youngest will really enjoy it.

I will admit I was disappointed that the axed bringing in hippos. I also wished they bring in some saltwater crocs. That being said, overall I don't think I have ever been more excited for what is happening and what is coming.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just saw on Facebook that the zoo welcomed their 1,000,000th visitor for the year today. Last year, it was on July 3rd. So basically they are on pace to beat last year's attendance record of 2,046,171.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Looking at that third picture, that doesn't look too safe with the safety railings on those platforms. Looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

OmahaOmaha wrote:Looking at that third picture, that doesn't look too safe with the safety railings on those platforms. Looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Wow, I didn't notice that, you would think they would put netting in there at least, especially with it being 3 stories in the air.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

skinzfan23 wrote:I don't think I would say that they are misfiring on all cylinders. They just opened the largest project in zoo history in the African Grasslands last year. They also are in the construction phase for the next big project. The children's area wasn't meant to have a ton of animals. They moved the prairie dogs there along with some monkeys I believe, but the intention is to have an interactive area where kids can play and their parents not having to worry about them. The zoo has made leaps and bounds in the past decade and continues to do so. So much to the point that I am rethinking visiting the zoo in Milwaukee this summer when I am there because it may be a let down compared to Omaha's. Our zoo is consistently ranked as one of the best in the world and by moving the animals into outdoor exhibits that more closely resemble their natural surroundings, the zoo is very forward thinking.
"The children's area wasn't meant to have a ton of animals"

What the |expletive| is my membership for? I don't pay money to see children running around, I pay to see animals.

The entire zoo in the last few years has just been microtransactioning the heck out of everything. Stingray touch tank, the return of the camel rides(at the expense of shrinking the Avairy), the continuous price increase of the skyfari, giraffe feedings.

I'm not sure how anyone doesn't think the Africa area is a total disaster for the amount of time and money they put into it. The entire south part looks like it was designed by an idiot. Tiny viewing areas. The elephant area forces people to stand on the bushes if they want more than a 2 foot area to look at them. The only well designed areas is the lion area, and the giraffe area which is virtually the same, with the exception of the microtransaction feedings. The small part of the africa area with the meercats is so small and pointless it's laughable.

That isn't even mentioning the fact that having elephants in Nebraska is stupid. I don't care how big of an indoor enclosure you can build for the, you're taking an animal that walks miles a day and putting them into a dome.

I thought the Zoo was good until I went to the Miami zoo. They actually embrace the climate there and have the appropriate animals outside.

The fact that they wasted a single dollar on that |expletive| while their cat complex is literally an embarrassment is sad.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OmahaOmaha wrote:Looking at that third picture, that doesn't look too safe with the safety railings on those platforms. Looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Look again and closer this time. There is netting tightly fit in all,the open areas. Can't tell if it is wire or some rope type but sure looks safe to me. Much better then hand rails only.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

TLGJames wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I don't think I would say that they are misfiring on all cylinders. They just opened the largest project in zoo history in the African Grasslands last year. They also are in the construction phase for the next big project. The children's area wasn't meant to have a ton of animals. They moved the prairie dogs there along with some monkeys I believe, but the intention is to have an interactive area where kids can play and their parents not having to worry about them. The zoo has made leaps and bounds in the past decade and continues to do so. So much to the point that I am rethinking visiting the zoo in Milwaukee this summer when I am there because it may be a let down compared to Omaha's. Our zoo is consistently ranked as one of the best in the world and by moving the animals into outdoor exhibits that more closely resemble their natural surroundings, the zoo is very forward thinking.
"The children's area wasn't meant to have a ton of animals"

What the |expletive| is my membership for? I don't pay money to see children running around, I pay to see animals.

The entire zoo in the last few years has just been microtransactioning the heck out of everything. Stingray touch tank, the return of the camel rides(at the expense of shrinking the Avairy), the continuous price increase of the skyfari, giraffe feedings.

I'm not sure how anyone doesn't think the Africa area is a total disaster for the amount of time and money they put into it. The entire south part looks like it was designed by an idiot. Tiny viewing areas. The elephant area forces people to stand on the bushes if they want more than a 2 foot area to look at them. The only well designed areas is the lion area, and the giraffe area which is virtually the same, with the exception of the microtransaction feedings. The small part of the africa area with the meercats is so small and pointless it's laughable.

That isn't even mentioning the fact that having elephants in Nebraska is stupid. I don't care how big of an indoor enclosure you can build for the, you're taking an animal that walks miles a day and putting them into a dome.

I thought the Zoo was good until I went to the Miami zoo. They actually embrace the climate there and have the appropriate animals outside.

The fact that they wasted a single dollar on that |expletive| while their cat complex is literally an embarrassment is sad.
The complex will be replaced and the area repurposed. I suggest reading the master plan.

Zoos should not just be animals in a cage. They are getting kids involved and interested...investing in the future. Your remarks resemble those of someone who is short sighted and uniformed. I hope that isnt the case, because I would guess your sentiments differ almost completely from nearly every other person that has seen the new exhibits.
Go Cubs Go
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

The complex will be replaced and the area repurposed. I suggest reading the master plan.

Zoos should not just be animals in a cage. They are getting kids involved and interested...investing in the future. Your remarks resemble those of someone who is short sighted and uniformed. I hope that isnt the case, because I would guess your sentiments differ almost completely from nearly every other person that has seen the new exhibits.
I agree with the fact that the zoo shouldn't just be animals in cages, so why do you think it's a good idea to store elephants in an indoor facility in the frigid midwest for months?

I have read the masterplan, and so far it's been a disaster.

I like how you didn't address any of the issues I brought up.

The cat complex should have been literally the first thing they worked on, even instead of getting Africa done. It's been an embarrassment of the zoo for decades.

Everyone I've talked to in real life has agreed with my assessment. They look good from a distance, but they're a disaster up close. It was all on appearance and none for actual usability. Look at the disaster of a parking lot that they built.

Seriously, go to the zoo when it's crowded. People are literally standing in the bushes to see the elephants.

My entire point is the zoo should embrace the fact that we're a cold weather state and build the zoo around that. Forget elephants, and build awesome enclosures for animals that can survive an entire season. Cougars, Siberian tigers, river otters, sea otters, snow leopards, bears, wolverines, artic foxes, etc.

This is a minority thought, because people really don't give a |expletive| about the animals. The zoo (management) certainly doesn't honestly care, if they think elephants are a good idea.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

nebugeater wrote:
Look again and closer this time. There is netting tightly fit in all,the open areas. Can't tell if it is wire or some rope type but sure looks safe to me. Much better then hand rails only.
I guess your eyes are much better than mine. I can only see one small section that has netting. The rest of the sections look wide open to me.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OmahaOmaha wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
I guess your eyes are much better than mine. I can only see one small section that has netting. The rest of the sections look wide open to me.

I pulled the photo down and blew up a couple areas. ( one little secret is that I looked at it the first time on a rather large monitor! )
Attachments
59554bc4a1ca1.image 3.jpg
59554bc4a1ca1.image 3.jpg (146.67 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
59554bc4a1ca1.image 4.jpg
59554bc4a1ca1.image 4.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Went to the zoo today for the first time in about a year and a half and I was rather impressed with all the new stuff. The Africa area was definitely a big highlight, especially the giraffe viewing area and the new lion section. It was also nice to see elephants again.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Took the kids to the new interactive area that just opened. They absolutely loved it, the ship/treehouse is too notch and the interactive river stream is something I've never seen anywhere before.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

My kids loved the new discovery area too.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Haven't had the time to go in the last month but I am sure my kids will love it too.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:Haven't had the time to go in the last month but I am sure my kids will love it too.

We have been twice now. When we were there Sunday they mentioned they were opening up an hour early this week for Zoo members. We went at 8AM on the 4th. My boys love where you can feed the birds in the discovery area. It only costs a buck.

We can all debate about the changes at the zoo, but with the zoo already hitting one million visits already this year, I think that's the key number on whether it's been successful or not.

Greg
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Greg S wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Haven't had the time to go in the last month but I am sure my kids will love it too.

We have been twice now. When we were there Sunday they mentioned they were opening up an hour early this week for Zoo members. We went at 8AM on the 4th. My boys love where you can feed the birds in the discovery area. It only costs a buck.

We can all debate about the changes at the zoo, but with the zoo already hitting one million visits already this year, I think that's the key number on whether it's been successful or not.

Greg

You do realize that the bird thing has been there for years right, like the new exhibit is actually much worse than the old one. The old one had charm and a more natural setting.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah, it was in a different location. It fits in well with all of the other kid stuff in the area, along with the theatre area for the aviary show.

We are going back to the zoo again tomorrow. 3rd trip in 7 days.

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

TLGJames wrote: My entire point is the zoo should embrace the fact that we're a cold weather state and build the zoo around that. Forget elephants, and build awesome enclosures for animals that can survive an entire season. Cougars, Siberian tigers, river otters, sea otters, snow leopards, bears, wolverines, artic foxes, etc.
But people don't really go to the zoo in the winter.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
TLGJames wrote: My entire point is the zoo should embrace the fact that we're a cold weather state and build the zoo around that. Forget elephants, and build awesome enclosures for animals that can survive an entire season. Cougars, Siberian tigers, river otters, sea otters, snow leopards, bears, wolverines, artic foxes, etc.
I call bull on this one. Sure the numbers are not as high but there are a Lot of people that go in the colder month. Our family hardly ever goes in the summer. Crowds are not as large but there are plenty of people there. Animals are more active in the outdoor exhibits for the most part hen it is cooler.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
I call bull on this one. Sure the numbers are not as high but there are a Lot of people that go in the colder month. Our family hardly ever goes in the summer. Crowds are not as large but there are plenty of people there. Animals are more active in the outdoor exhibits for the most part hen it is cooler.
Late September and October are my favorite times to go to the Zoo.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

One of the best days at the zoo our family has had was a few years ago on Christmas Eve. Plenty of people... About 30 Deg.... Light snow was falling part of the time we were there. Saw a lot both inside and out and ended the day in the Imax.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We go about once a month in winter. Agree with others on some animals being more active.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Crazy video...

Zoo closes portion of new Adventure Trail after child seriously injured

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Zoo-cl ... 17083.html
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

One of the best days at the zoo our family has had was a few years ago on Christmas Eve. Plenty of people... About 30 Deg.... Light snow was falling part of the time we were there. Saw a lot both inside and out and ended the day in the Imax.
Not with the newer south part of the Africa area, it's literally a ghost town in the winter.

I just wish we could have artic foxes, a better snow leopard enclosure, etc. Think about how cool it would be to see a mountain lion overlooking the landscape on a cold winter day, as opposed to a barren exhibit.

Also not surprised about the slide. My friend told me that he has heard over the intercom non-stop about that slide. I guess it's even worse once the sand gets kicked out, and you are literally sliding onto cement at a high speed. He said they had to have medical treatments at least once a day for cuts/bruises.

Another great zoo idea.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

The slide is reopened and has been extended 7 feet.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Warren, the young male elephant at the zoo died.
http://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/omaha-z ... 3980a.html
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

The worst part of this story is he didn't have to die. They say they have to do an animal autopsy to see why he died. That is pretty misleading. We already know why he died. He died because they killed him. Accidentally of course but the fact of the matter is he still would be around if they had not been messing with him. We know and hope they meant well but they killed him. Its done in hospitals to humans everyday of the week. They wanted to fix his cracked tusk so they knocked him out with some heavy duty elephant drugs and they went a little to far and killed him. Then they left the animals carcass dead in the pen for a day so the other elephants could see. Somehow the folks running the zoo know that elephants just like humans need a time to say good bye to the dead and make their peace and all that. Really?..... did the elephants tell them that? I don't know about those zoo lunatics. I know they mean well and have got it all figured out but they might not quite be right. If I was one of those elephants still living and they killed one of my fellow prisoners and made me look at it in my cell for a day I might feel like that was an act of intimidation.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Elephants are one of the few animals that seem to mourn for the dead. I'm not sure if dragging the body back into the pen is the best idea though.

I still think the Omaha zoo getting elephants was an awful idea. Just a |expletive| idea to have an animals that travels for miles a day in the wild, and put it in a few acres of space. Then even worse in the winter. And they look absolutely terrified by that |expletive| train.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:Just saw on Facebook that the zoo welcomed their 1,000,000th visitor for the year today. Last year, it was on July 3rd. So basically they are on pace to beat last year's attendance record of 2,046,171.
The zoo just had their 2,000,000th visitor yesterday.