Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Post by Brad »

cp jay 07 wrote:
TLGJames wrote:Meanwhile, they've removed some of my favorite animals. Mostly the north american river otters, and the African wild dogs. The river otters were probably the most depressing removal. They're one of the only animals that is highly active in the winter too. I once watched them play hockey with chunks of ice in their exhibit.
Sadly one of the River Otters passed away and that is what led to the River Otters being taken off display and replaced with the African Penguins. I read that the surviving River Otter was sent to another zoo as they do not live well alone.
Remind me where the river otters were located? I can't remember.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Brad wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:
TLGJames wrote:Meanwhile, they've removed some of my favorite animals. Mostly the north american river otters, and the African wild dogs. The river otters were probably the most depressing removal. They're one of the only animals that is highly active in the winter too. I once watched them play hockey with chunks of ice in their exhibit.
Sadly one of the River Otters passed away and that is what led to the River Otters being taken off display and replaced with the African Penguins. I read that the surviving River Otter was sent to another zoo as they do not live well alone.
Remind me where the river otters were located? I can't remember.
They were up the hill from the petting zoo. The otters were named Mork and Mindy. I think it was Mindy that died, she was quite old. I learned this from the docent.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Professor Woland wrote:They were up the hill from the petting zoo. The otters were named Mork and Mindy. I think it was Mindy that died, she was quite old. I learned this from the docent.
Thanks for the info! There is nothing up that hill now, correct? That one building is closed, the wolves are out at the Safari Park, the baboons are in one of the other buildings.

Here are a few photos from the other day:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Wonderful photos of a wonderful zoo.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

TLGJames wrote:As an adult I have to rant about the zoo a bit. I'm pretty disappointed by a lot of the changes.

The new Africa is pretty nice. It's the rest of the changes that suck. And whoever designed the new parking lot should be shot. (My friend that used to work there told me it was designed personally by the zoo director who has no traffic flow experience, and he's also in charge of making all this outdoor stuff)

A giant outdoor water area. Hello, we're in Nebraska. In can only be on for a 4-5 months a year. It's also huge and could have been used for something else. The new giant children's park area also seems the same way. Good for the summer, but awful for the rest of the year. Also the zoo seems to be moving towards more and more microtransactions. Sting Rays, Camel Riding, giraffe feeding, and soon that outdoor amphitheater?

Meanwhile, they've removed some of my favorite animals. Mostly the north american river otters, and the African wild dogs. The river otters were probably the most depressing removal. They're one of the only animals that is highly active in the winter too. I once watched them play hockey with chunks of ice in their exhibit.

I honestly don't know why we don't embrace more cold weather compatible animals, so the zoo isn't completely empty during the winter. River Otters, beavers, Arctic Foxes, Ermines, wolverines, etc.

I did see the fact that they're going to have a lot more outdoor exhibits for the big cats, so that'll be nice.
I understand your criticisms, but apparently you forgot that the zoo has some of the most amazing indoor exhibits of any zoo in the world. Jungle, desert and aquarium. Not to mention that the giraffe and elephants now both have new buildings that allow them to be on display during the winter months.

I have visited the zoo many times in the winter and agree that it is nice to see outdoor activity, but I can honestly say that we are probably in the minority. Most people don't venture outside the buildings in the winter and I don't blame them in the heart of January and February.

I think the zoo additions have all been amazing and added to the overall family atmosphere that the zoo is trying to achieve.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

skinzfan23 wrote: I understand your criticisms, but apparently you forgot that the zoo has some of the most amazing indoor exhibits of any zoo in the world. Jungle, desert and aquarium. Not to mention that the giraffe and elephants now both have new buildings that allow them to be on display during the winter months.

I have visited the zoo many times in the winter and agree that it is nice to see outdoor activity, but I can honestly say that we are probably in the minority. Most people don't venture outside the buildings in the winter and I don't blame them in the heart of January and February.

I think the zoo additions have all been amazing and added to the overall family atmosphere that the zoo is trying to achieve.

None of those new changes I noted are indoor exhibits. And none of them were my gripes. The giraffes used to also have their own indoor building anyways.

The giant water section is my gripe. IT CAN'T BE USED IN WINTER. Neither can the new outdoor amphitheater. I went to the zoo on Wednesday, and it was already either off for the season, or closed during weekdays because they need someone to watch it. It was 90 degrees outside. What is the point of having something that is only open 4-5 months a year?

Also, the reason why no one is out in the winter, is because there is nothing to see for the most part.

It isn't like any of the animals I listed wouldn't work in summer too. Otters/wolverines/stouts/foxes/etc. It makes a lot more sense than something that can be used, for once again. 4-5 months a year. What is the purpose of the zoo? To have a water feature, or to feature animals?
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Brad wrote:
Professor Woland wrote:They were up the hill from the petting zoo. The otters were named Mork and Mindy. I think it was Mindy that died, she was quite old. I learned this from the docent.
Thanks for the info! There is nothing up that hill now, correct? That one building is closed, the wolves are out at the Safari Park, the baboons are in one of the other buildings.
They moved the African Penguins up there for some unknown reason. Every time i see them, they're never even in the water. Somehow it makes sense to put the African Penguins in the farther part away from the Africa area, instead of a shared exhibit with the giraffes how it used to be.

I have no idea what they did with the African Wild Dogs. Yet another African animal that vanished with the new maintenance.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

TLGJames wrote:
Brad wrote:
They moved the African Penguins up there for some unknown reason. Every time i see them, they're never even in the water. Somehow it makes sense to put the African Penguins in the farther part away from the Africa area, instead of a shared exhibit with the giraffes how it used to be.

I have no idea what they did with the African Wild Dogs. Yet another African animal that vanished with the new maintenance.
The African Wild Dogs are at the Safari Park now.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not that anyone would really want to, but are you allowed to go into the splash pad part even though it is closed for the season? Thought maybe some people would like to take pictures in there.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Professor Woland wrote:
TLGJames wrote:
Brad wrote:

The African Wild Dogs are at the Safari Park now.

Where? I was there on Sunday during member days and I saw nothing. I also go there like once a month during the season. They do easily have the space for them though. Unless they're on an offlimit area. On the member day, they let you go look at the cheetah breeding facility and there weren't anything else back there except for maybe some Sable?

skinzfan23 wrote:Not that anyone would really want to, but are you allowed to go into the splash pad part even though it is closed for the season? Thought maybe some people would like to take pictures in there.
They had barriers set up.
TourismLover
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TourismLover »

At the beginning of summer I went to the zoo for a job shadow, and I asked the volunteer manager what happened to the African Wild Dogs/Painted Dogs. I noticed for a that they were never on exhibit at that something might've happened to them. Also they were one of my favorite animals at the zoo. He said that they didn't fit into the master plan and that they were transported to a different zoo. I don't know which one, but that was the answer he gave my group so yeah I hope that clears something up.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Thanks for the info. Yeah I don't possibly see how African Wild Dogs could fit into the picture with an entire section dedicated to Africa. But we need to have a giant water feature on for 3 months a year!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

The water feature is, and would be, a bigger draw than the dogs, though......
Go Cubs Go
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah I'm not sure the African dogs were much of a loss at all.

Were they the animals years ago that died when they panicked and ran into fences when some domestic dogs got into the zoo and raised a ruckus?

Greg
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Greg S wrote:Yeah I'm not sure the African dogs were much of a loss at all.

Were they the animals years ago that died when they panicked and ran into fences when some domestic dogs got into the zoo and raised a ruckus?

Greg

I believe those were red-necked wallaby, a smaller version of a kangaroo, and emu that were mauled and had to be euthanized. I think the African dogs did OK in their exhibit. The exhibit once held South American Maned Wolf. The exhibit became inaccessible when the Avian Support Center was built and the zoo had no other place to display them with the upcoming African Grasslands construction.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

thenewguy wrote:The water feature is, and would be, a bigger draw than the dogs, though......
I forgot the point of the zoo was people could get wet for 3 months a year. Oh, and not even be accessible during the rest of the year.

And a draw? Who has ever said, well I wasn't going to go to the zoo, but then I realized that my child could get wet as well, so let's go? Not to mention the fact that children have already pooped in it multiple times and they've had to close it for 24 hours each time.

Yeah, these totally don't belong at a zoo. We should keep getting more and more animals that can't handle being outside in the winter (elephants?) in Nebraska. And instead hold them in indoor facilities, when in the wild they walk 2-30 miles a day.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

First of all, it will run longer than just 3 months. Secondly, the draw i was referring to isnt with local traffic only, and certainly not just for tbe splash pad itself. It is another thing our zoo has that other zoos probably dont have. If i were planning a trip from out of town, it is another thing you can do all in one place. Third, and most importantly, the zoo does its best to replicate the natural environment from each animal's native land.....but there is no way to give any animal all the space they need. Lastly, are you saying the zoo shouldnt have anything that cant stand winters in nebraska in their outdoor enclosures? No one wants to go somewhere that is only buffalo, deer, owls, etc. Thats why the zoo has so many different animals. Drawing people in raises awareness and ultimately furthers the zoo's efforts locally and globally.
Go Cubs Go
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Do you honestly think a water feature is going to be useful from beyond End of May - Mid sep? Maybe 3.5 months at most. It's already closed. And you can't even check out the stuff, because it's got barriers up.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

TLGJames wrote:Do you honestly think a water feature is going to be useful from beyond End of May - Mid sep? Maybe 3.5 months at most. It's already closed. And you can't even check out the stuff, because it's got barriers up.
Just for the record, the splash park was open and full of kids who looked like they were having the time of there lives this past Sunday, October 2nd. We have a world class zoo that arguably is quite an over-achievement for a city the size of Omaha. While every single feature existing or planned isn't going to please everyone, this fabulous asset continues to expand and get better overall. One can choose to revel in the general trend of excellence, progress and leadership or one can choose to focus on those things that aren't to his or her exact liking. Each of us can make our own choice. I will choose to be happy and revel in how lucky we are to have as fine a zoo as we do. Happy like all the kids I see in the splash park. Life is too short for the other choice.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The summer is far and away the zoo's peak time. I know the train and skyfari have similar run times as the Splash pad but I don't remember anyone pitching a fit on those? I'm assuming the sting rays are a May through September exhibit as well but don't know for sure.

Greg
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

HDZ pulled a permit for a Site Plan Review on October 7. Could this be for the Asian Highlands?
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went to the zoo last weekend for the first time since the Grasslands have been 100% open. That new area up on top of the hill with the helicopter and the lions is really cool! The lions were all out sunning right where people could see them. The zoo is amazing and I get more amazed every time I go there.

FYI, the trees in the new Asian highlands are had colored ribbons on them, so I would assume that construction could begin soon.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The only two things which are a little disappointing at this point: 1) Rhinos still haven't shown up in giraffe/ostrich exhibit. 2) Elephants still haven't been able to roam free in the much larger exhibit area, beyond the RR tracks. Otherwise, I think it is outstanding, we were even able to feed a giraffe last time we were there.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:The only two things which are a little disappointing at this point: 1) Rhinos still haven't shown up in giraffe/ostrich exhibit. 2) Elephants still haven't been able to roam free in the much larger exhibit area, beyond the RR tracks. Otherwise, I think it is outstanding, we were even able to feed a giraffe last time we were there.
I don't know anything about the Rhinos.

However the Elephants were in the big area, on the other side of the track last Sunday. We got there at 9am and made our way to the elephants before 10 and they were all 6 inside. However after lunch we went back over there and they were in the big area on the east side of the tracks.

We were told it took them quite a while to get them trained to cross the tracks, they were very unsure of them. That said, we were on the train later in the afternoon when they were in that big area and they really don't like the train itself. The younger elephants were a little more easy going but the mamma elephant really took off when we came around that curve.

Speaking of trained animals, the sea-lions were amazing! They were trained so well and did every thing the keepers told them to do. They are trained better than most people house dogs!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:

Speaking of trained animals, the sea-lions were amazing! They were trained so well and did every thing the keepers told them to do. They are trained better than most people house dogs!

... and probably most people.....
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Stargazer wrote:The only two things which are a little disappointing at this point: 1) Rhinos still haven't shown up in giraffe/ostrich exhibit. 2) Elephants still haven't been able to roam free in the much larger exhibit area, beyond the RR tracks. Otherwise, I think it is outstanding, we were even able to feed a giraffe last time we were there.
Two weeks ago the elephants, like Brad observed,were all the way to the east end of their enclosure near the old lagoon. The rhinos were on the far east end of the giraffe enclosure but separated by what looks like a temporary fence. Maybe the giraffes and rhinos are still not quite ready to be buds.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Work on Omaha zoo's African Grasslands meant animals had to be shifted around — some out of the zoo entirely

Chris Peters - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Grévy’s zebras left the zoo permanently, destined for Miami and St. Louis. The zoo opted to replace Grévy’s zebras — which have larger ears, narrower stripes and are more threatened in the wild — with plains zebras, which now share a yard with elephants, impalas and others.

Around the same time, the zoo’s pair of dama gazelles departed for Columbus, Ohio. The biggest departure of all, a 14-member herd of addax, left then as well, splitting into two groups. Neither species aligned with the geographic theme of the African Grasslands, Cassidy said.

Two female addaxes moved to the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines, and the rest — two males and 10 females — moved to the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Texas to join a herd of about 50 in a pasture that’s approximately 400 acres of grass, trees and hills in a drive-through park.
EATapodcast
New to the Neighborhood

Post by EATapodcast »

Maybe they'll do something about that sad to look at cat complex soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

EATapodcast wrote:Maybe they'll do something about that sad to look at cat complex soon.
Some of the cats have already moved out, but after the Asian area opens, the rest will move and the cat complex will come down.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to the zoo's Facebook page, less than 10,000 more visitors needed to break the 2,000,000 barrier for the year. They have already set the all-time record.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:According to the zoo's Facebook page, less than 10,000 more visitors needed to break the 2,000,000 barrier for the year. They have already set the all-time record.
That is impressive. VERY impressive..

There is a zoo 180 miles to the south in KC that would kill to have attendance such as this. Let's face it, Henry Doorly is consistently rated at or near the top for best zoo in the US for a reason :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:According to the zoo's Facebook page, less than 10,000 more visitors needed to break the 2,000,000 barrier for the year. They have already set the all-time record.
I saw on FB this morning they were less than 3000 away.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

They say tomorrow they will surpass 2 million.

http://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/omaha-z ... ecf82.html
Chris Peters / World-Herald staff writer wrote:As of Monday afternoon, the zoo was about 400 visitors shy of the landmark figure of 2 million. The zoo expects to welcome its 2 millionth visitor sometime Tuesday.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not that there was any doubt, but they reached the 2,000,000 mark a few min ago.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

1. New parking on the old Game and Parks property

2. Adventure Education building

3. Outdoor area north of the Adventure Education Building
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the photo update Brad....hopefully a few trees will be planted in that parking area in the spring. The education building and outdoor area looks like it is going to be another great addition to an already amazing zoo.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Wow, that's really coming along nicely. Should be a great addition to the zoo, especially for the younger kids. I'm not sure what to think about having that major crosswalk for the new parking lot on that round corner. They might have to find a way to really slow traffic down or go with pedestrian-traffic lights.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Tornado wrote:Wow, that's really coming along nicely. Should be a great addition to the zoo, especially for the younger kids. I'm not sure what to think about having that major crosswalk for the new parking lot on that round corner. They might have to find a way to really slow traffic down or go with pedestrian-traffic lights.
I just flew around that corner at about 30 MPH and was thinking about this post as I did. They will need to do something to slow traffic down. Also driving in front of the main entrance is a cluster funk. There were cars and people all over the place.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nothing like 70 degrees in February to bring out huge crowds...

Baby penguins don't hurt either.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow that is crazy for a mid-February day! I am off on Monday and planning on taking the kids, hopefully not that busy then.