Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Post by Uffda »

From the news article on WOWT 6 News tonight and it sounds like zoo needs to work on its parking on busy days.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Like I have said in the past the zoo need's to look at building a 7 story to maybe 9 story parking garage on the site of the Stadium for parking. Maybe also looking into a dedicated bus line for visitor's. They could park at Crossroads or somewhere large then get bused into the Zoo. They really need to solve the traffic issue because it's really a big negative for such a great attraction for Omaha. They could build a large parking lot on the North side of the old the Stadium or if they want they could dig down beneath the stadium and make a large underground parking facility ( Which would be heavily expensive) but it would also keep the above ground parking so you would have a large parking space above and below the stadium. Just throwing out idea's here! Also I love how the Zoo said for people to just "ride there bikes to the zoo". I doubt anyone would like to bike ride 12 to 20 mile's to visit the zoo.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/NE-Dep ... 93004.html
Over the weekend, Omaha Police officers helped direct and control zoo traffic as it backed up on 13th Street and onto I-80. The zoo does not pay for those officers.
Serious question, When the CWS was played at the Blatt did the CWS pay for all the police assistance around the stadium for the 10 days +/- each year?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

From my understanding since I have a family member who works the CWS for the Omaha police the City pay's for it. It's great Overtime for the officer's though it sucks for them as well since they have to be out in the 90 degree heat in bullet resistant vest all day. Not a fun time at all. I really feel for the Police, Firefighter's and paramedic's that work the CWS. It's quite grueling not a picnic.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

I don't know how they are going to solve this problem. Public transit was tried last year, but the zoo does not plan on using the shuttle bus and remote parking this year because of underutilization when they had it.

More parking doesn't solve the problem of overcapacity streets and highway exit ramps. To fix that would take a massive amount of public money for a "seasonal" issue. A parking garage may help, but traffic flow into and out of garages tends to slow down traffic movement as compared to surface lots. Plus, what big donar really wants to have there name attached to a parking structure when the could have their name attached to a much sexier naturalistic exhibit with cute animals that everyone will look at.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More people need to use 10th street. Seems like everyone takes I80 to 13th street and then up 13th to the zoo. Instead if you come down 10th and park by the north entrance, you are in the zoo in no time.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Who say's the Parking garage need's to be named? Omaha and the Zoo could both chip in for such a project and I would hope if they do expand parking that it would include 1,000 additional parking space's at the Zoo. That would be handle most of the traffic I think heading into the Zoo. It's quite the tough pickle to solve. We need to think outside the box on this issue. There is a Neighborhood behind the Zoo it looks like if the Zoo is smart they could purchase that land and expand the zoo east which would make it gain some more parking spot's and a East side entrance to the Zoo. Then again that would require the Zoo to work with the city and homeowner's.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

IMO the parking lot expansions have made the traffic flow through the parking areas much worse. There seems to be no natural flow at all. Granted it is larger but that is not the issue. The Zoo has hit a lot of home runs ( pun intended) but the new parking layout is not one of them.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

OmahaFan wrote:Who say's the Parking garage need's to be named? Omaha and the Zoo could both chip in for such a project and I would hope if they do expand parking that it would include 1,000 additional parking space's at the Zoo. That would be handle most of the traffic I think heading into the Zoo. It's quite the tough pickle to solve. We need to think outside the box on this issue. There is a Neighborhood behind the Zoo it looks like if the Zoo is smart they could purchase that land and expand the zoo east which would make it gain some more parking spot's and a East side entrance to the Zoo. Then again that would require the Zoo to work with the city and homeowner's.
The zoo has been acquiring parcels both south of the zoo that is used for overflow parking, and to the northeast (future expansion??). They seem to be buying from willing sellers and have not used eminante domain as far I know. This has been going on quietly for years. The acquisitions have slowed down the last few years, probably due to all the building and new exhibits construction. The last lot acquired was about a year ago.

Some of the properties have been held by the same owner for years, and since the zoo has time on its side, will probably wait until the owner wants to move, or passes away.

Per Brad's note... Yes 10th street is the way to go these days. One of the main bottle necks is you can only exit I-80 on 13th street, and as everyone knows "the Interstate is always the fastest way to get somewhere." Since we are a car centric society, and the shuttle experiment last year was basically not used, I don't see mass transit as a solution until we change our attitudes.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:More people need to use 10th street. Seems like everyone takes I80 to 13th street and then up 13th to the zoo. Instead if you come down 10th and park by the north entrance, you are in the zoo in no time.
Another option come in from the south. Take L Street to 13th.

I think the TV report also mentioned that nobody is guiding people to empty spots in the parking so you have people slowly driving around and around looking for spots.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Well I was reading the Omaha World herald this morning and it look's like the State of Nebraska is going to be doing something about the traffic issue at the Zoo. They will be expanding the off ramp at 13th street and construction will begin in the fall and be completed in early 2018 by the look's of it. Should help ease some congestion. Apparently the project will be rolled into the Interstate repair's that are currently happening in Omaha. So there it is the fix that's suppose to fix the congestion.

http://www.omaha.com/living/added-lanes ... 1de59.html

( Here is the Article I'm referring to)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OmahaFan wrote:Well I was reading the Omaha World herald this morning and it look's like the State of Nebraska is going to be doing something about the traffic issue at the Zoo. They will be expanding the off ramp at 13th street and construction will begin in the fall and be completed in early 2018 by the look's of it. Should help ease some congestion. Apparently the project will be rolled into the Interstate repair's that are currently happening in Omaha. So there it is the fix that's suppose to fix the congestion.

http://www.omaha.com/living/added-lanes ... 1de59.html

( Here is the Article I'm referring to)

That will definitely help on the flow into the area. I heard a lady on the radio this morning and said they were stuck in the parking lot for more than an hour. I do think the zoo needs to follow the city's recommendation and have their employees in the parking lot guiding people to spots and having it more orderly. They are asking the zoo to do it more like Disney does at their parks.

Greg
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Create a new type of season family pass that sells for 15-20 dollars less then a regular pass that only lets you in on weekdays. :yes:
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Well if Omaha is serious they should look at charging the Zoo for the additional officer's time directing traffic. It's kinda a drain on resource's to be honest. That one officer could be stopping a crime or helping someone and the Zoo is taking up valuable resource's. Only way the Zoo will fix it's act so to speak is to lay down a consequence for there inaction on this issue.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OmahaFan wrote:Well if Omaha is serious they should look at charging the Zoo for the additional officer's time directing traffic. It's kinda a drain on resource's to be honest. That one officer could be stopping a crime or helping someone and the Zoo is taking up valuable resource's. Only way the Zoo will fix it's act so to speak is to lay down a consequence for there inaction on this issue.

Disagree

This is a major driver of visitors to Omaha and thus $$$. If they are going to charge the Zoo then they better charge the CWS, anything at the draws people to the arena and convention center, every art fair and farmers market, and the list goes on.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Create a new type of season family pass that sells for 15-20 dollars less then a regular pass that only lets you in on weekdays. :yes:
Gramps, I like this idea. Could very well be a component of the solution.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
OmahaFan wrote:Well if Omaha is serious they should look at charging the Zoo for the additional officer's time directing traffic. It's kinda a drain on resource's to be honest. That one officer could be stopping a crime or helping someone and the Zoo is taking up valuable resource's. Only way the Zoo will fix it's act so to speak is to lay down a consequence for there inaction on this issue.

Disagree

This is a major driver of visitors to Omaha and thus $$$. If they are going to charge the Zoo then they better charge the CWS, anything at the draws people to the arena and convention center, every art fair and farmers market, and the list goes on.
Totally agree. There are tons of people that come from all over to the zoo. Many of them stay the night too.

Greg
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Well it sound's like the Zoo is literally ignoring the cities call to do something about the parking situation since it's taking up city resources and causing traffic headache's for Omaha residents. I don't see the zoo taking any concrete measure to alleviate the situation at hand. I admit they are a major contributor to the city money wise and tourist wise as well as the CWS's. I just wish the Zoo would take the cities concerns and act on them instead of downplaying them. They at least admit there's a problem with there current parking situation but they are unable to remedy it? Idk if the Zoo's security is contracted or if it's Internal but another great idea would be looking around Omaha at the security companies and hire additional officer's in helping with people parking. Omaha has a lot of security companies that the Zoo could contract with on big days and let there internal security worry what's happening inside of the zoo. I could name a few companies that would be able to handle this request G4S secure solution, Securitas, Frontline security, Allied Universal and Signal 88.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't places like Worlds of Fun just use High School kids on summer break?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OmahaFan wrote:Well it sound's like the Zoo is literally ignoring the cities call to do something about the parking situation since it's taking up city resources and causing traffic headache's for Omaha residents. I don't see the zoo taking any concrete measure to alleviate the situation at hand. I admit they are a major contributor to the city money wise and tourist wise as well as the CWS's. I just wish the Zoo would take the cities concerns and act on them instead of downplaying them. They at least admit there's a problem with there current parking situation but they are unable to remedy it? Idk if the Zoo's security is contracted or if it's Internal but another great idea would be looking around Omaha at the security companies and hire additional officer's in helping with people parking. Omaha has a lot of security companies that the Zoo could contract with on big days and let there internal security worry what's happening inside of the zoo. I could name a few companies that would be able to handle this request G4S secure solution, Securitas, Frontline security, Allied Universal and Signal 88.

I will not take what the OWH says as gospel. Who really know what they are working on work working with the OPD or the Depr of roads on. I will give the zoo the benefit of the doubt for a while.

To say they have tried nothing ( ignoring the cities call) is not correct. They tried shuttles. It didn't work. I am betting they will try some parking attendants but to do it right you don't just through some kids out there to see what happens.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

The reason why the shuttle failed is because they located it all the way down in Bellevue. No one will drive past the zoo to just get on a shuttle and have them transported to that site. Secondly I'm not taking OWH as gospel I'm simply going off what they said I might be wrong with what I'm saying who knows? I just want the Zoo easily accessible to our visitors and have a parking lot that's managed well where there is no car accident's or someone getting hit by a car. Thirdly with security officer's they aren't kids they are adults and most security companies I know consult with the client this time it would be with zoo on what the Client want's the officer's to do. The zoo can tell the security company the idea they want for parking and they can hash it out so there's no confusion when it's implemented. At the most it's probably a 6 Officer contract. You'll need 5 people in the parking lot directing people where to go and then you'll need another one in the street directing traffic into the Zoo.

I think the State, City and the Zoo all need to sit down and see what need's to be done to attack this situation. I'm sure a solution can be worked out between all three parties. I say the state because it deals with the Interstate system.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am not totally sure on this, but from CWS to the Zoo, are not most of OPD overtime?
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I'll have to check that out for ya.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Create a new type of season family pass that sells for 15-20 dollars less then a regular pass that only lets you in on weekdays. :yes:
I kinda like that idea. I would buy a winter pass that works 7 days per week from Dec 1 until the last day of February. Obviously it would need to be discounted.

I remember back in the 90's a lot of companies used to subsidize the price of a zoo pass. I only have one friend now that has that option through their work.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Uffda wrote:
Brad wrote:More people need to use 10th street. Seems like everyone takes I80 to 13th street and then up 13th to the zoo. Instead if you come down 10th and park by the north entrance, you are in the zoo in no time.
So I need to exit I-80 at 13th street north, then right on Frederick, then right on 10th?

So I should exit I-80 to 75 south, then take L street east, and 13th street north?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Uffda wrote:
So I need to exit I-80 at 13th street north, then right on Frederick, then right on 10th?

So I should exit I-80 to 75 south, then take L street east, and 13th street north?
This for coming from the South side of the Zoo.
So I should exit I-80 to 75 south, then take L street east, and 13th street north
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

You could probably beg people to take 10th St, or arrive from the South all day, but they will still take the Interstate. Attendant assisted parking would help. The lots would fill sequentially, reducing congestion from people roaming around. As long as the city isn't charging them for all the police resources they use, there will be little incentive to change things.

Wasn't the new parking lot more of an aesthetic design over function?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Well since we aren't going to be able to stop people from coming in from I-80 and they are going to be making changes the the 13th St ramps, why not make the eastbound exit ramp connect up to Bob Gibson Blvd and make that road one way east? The ramp could be two lanes straight onto Bob Gibson along with two lanes right to allow people to go to Bert Murphy Ave effectively splitting the traffic between two separate entrances.

Along Bob Gibson could be a big parking garage with multiple entrances to hopefully speed up the time it take to enter it. Then to exit, people would take 10th Street north and have a turn around Frederick St to go under the I-80 ramps and and connect up to the northbound 13th St to I-80 westbound entrance loop.
13th St Interchange2.jpg
13th St Interchange2.jpg (122.65 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
Orange = Eastbound / Northbound
Yellow = Southbound

Now the I-80 entrance may be much less likely mainly due to the tunnel or bridges needed for it, but the exit idea isn't too far fetched.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Here's an idea, and I have no idea why it hasn't been at least proposed before. For zoo patrons exiting I-80 eastbound at 13th street, have an additional exit lane (or two) that includes a ramp extending over 13th street and directly into the zoo's parking lot. No back up on 13th street. Everyone's happy. Yes, it would cost money, but when has that ever stopped the zoo, or the city when it comes to assisting the zoo. State and federal monies would likely pay 80% or more of the cost.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Or, I think, go under 13th St as if going northbound and then go over/under the 13th St onramp to EB I-80 into zoo parking.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Charge for parking?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:Charge for parking?

Sounds like a great idea. Slow down the process of getting to the lots even more and push some of the visitors into the neighborhoods even on days that is is not needed because of the crowds being smaller.

Not sure that will solve the issues
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Zoo getting a 7th Elephant!
Omaha Zoo wrote:Everyone, meet Louie, a bull African elephant from the The Toledo Zoo.
Louie will soon be transferred to Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium on a recommendation of the African Elephant Species Survival Plan (SSP) through The Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
Louie will have the potential to breed with the Zoo’s five female resident elephants to help sustain the genetic diversity of this endangered species’ population in zoos. The Toledo Zoo hopes to move Louie within a month following his acclimation to the transport enclosure.
In his new home at our Zoo, Louie will join a herd of six other African elephants (five female and one juvenile male) in our multi-species African Grasslands exhibit, which includes zebras, impalas and a 150,000-gallon pool. The Zoo also boasts the largest indoor elephant herd space in North America at 29,000 square feet. Combined, the indoor and outdoor elephant areas total more than five acres.
http://www.omahazoo.com/post/sections/1 ... /Louie.pdf

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is awesome. 2 years ago we had no elephants and now we have 7.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:That is awesome. 2 years ago we had no elephants and now we have 7.
And hopefully 8 in a year or so...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:That is awesome. 2 years ago we had no elephants and now we have 7.
At least 22 months. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:
Brad wrote:
Ok, I guess I better brush up on my Elephant gestation length....
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Uffda wrote:
Brad wrote:
Ok, I guess I better brush up on my Elephant gestation length....
And since there is more than one Female Adult at the Omaha zoo you might want to up your target of 8!
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Great that they are adding a Male elephant to the mix for breeding purpose's. Just depends if the elephant get's pregnant or not. Surprised they don't harvest the Sperm from the elephant and put it into cold storage and spread it too all the Zoo's with Female elephants.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Asia Highlands:
Takin Holding Building (2158sf)
Tiger Holding Building (2294sf)
Snow Leopard Holding Building (1075sf)
Sloth Bear Holding Building (921sf)
Red Panda Holding Building (409sf)
Pere David Holding Building (675sf)
Yeti Camp Restroom (933sf)