Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would WAY rather have whales/dolphins over boring pandas. When was that last time you saw pandas put on a show? (That wasn't in Tiajuana)

I think seeing aquatic animals in the middle of the country is more unique than a kind of bear.
DTO
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

The Henry Doorly Zoo's Panda and Dolphin exhibit would be a great addition. Are you listening Lee Simmons?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

DTO Luv wrote:I would WAY rather have whales/dolphins over boring pandas. When was that last time you saw pandas put on a show? (That wasn't in Tiajuana)

I think seeing aquatic animals in the middle of the country is more unique than a kind of bear.

At first i thought you said "beer"...then i realized it's not happy hour yet.  But i agree, it'd be something that would bring people back over and over again, rather than a panda.  See a panda, sitting there, not mating and proliferating the species...just eating bamboo.  Dolphins, small whales, sea lions, etc, do tricks, are active and fun...and can entertain.  Until i see a panda in a Shriner's hat driving a little car, i won't be all too impressed :)
Go Cubs Go

Post by Guest »

Dolphins can be found in a lot of locations that have wild life exhibits and whatnot. Panda's, on the other hand, are extremely rare and going extinct. Although I agree Dolphins would be a much better show, I think pandas could potentially bring in more people.

Post by Guest »

DTO Luv wrote:
How many places can you go see aquatic animals?

How many places can you go see pandas?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:I think seeing aquatic animals in the middle of the country is more unique than a kind of bear.
Then go help save the palid sturgeon.  I want pandas.
Stable genius.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I would like to see part of the 'blatt turned into a parking garage so we don't waste all that land on surface parking.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is what will happen.... 99.99999% odds.

The Zoo might build attraction on the """ZOO""" parking lot, however I bet the entire rosenblatt land turns to a sea of parking.

Look at this photo, the zoo already uses all the parking(there is no ballgame going on)

Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Brad wrote:Here is what will happen.... 99.99999% odds.

The Zoo might build attraction on the """ZOO""" parking lot, however I bet the entire rosenblatt land turns to a sea of parking.

Look at this photo, the zoo already uses all the parking(there is no ballgame going on)

I agree Brad..

I think it would actually be smart to bring the edge to the front and use the rosenblatt space as a parking lot with a parking structure.  However, I understand that there is quite a bit of property that the zoo owns that people live on, they can access that property for a big time expansion while using rosenblatt as a way to handle the parking situation for current and future needs.

Thinking about it, this is a grand opportunity for the zoo to be able to occupy this much needed parking space and use already owned property for future growth.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

if the zoo did not develop their own parking and utilize Rosenblatt for additional parking, they'd have quite a bit of room to expand and be billed as something much more than just the zoo.  I went to mapquest.com and at 100m, looked at Rosenblatt's property compared to Shedd Aquarium & Adler Planetarium at 100m.  Looks like they'd fit into an area just larger than Rosenblatt.  It'd still leave plenty of room for parking...about what is there now.  If not, like everyone has said, there's plenty of room for Pandas and gift shops on the zoo's existing parking lot.
Go Cubs Go
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

Actually a Shedd-like aquarium would be sweet. Also a science museum on the other side of interstate on the empty lot with hotels and/or shops would be a nice addition as well as a streetcar line to the area. Then I thought about a pedestrian bridge to connect the two areas/buildings/complexes, but that wouldn't work year-round and i can't see us building another one for awhile. So what do you guys think about a smaller version of the Gateway Arch. It would be visible for miles and that interchange would explode. The whole area would benefit tremendously. It would be like two more CWS year-round though! Crazy. Almost as crazy as my ideas, but what do you think?
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

Bomaha wrote:Actually a Shedd-like aquarium would be sweet. Also a science museum on the other side of interstate on the empty lot with hotels and/or shops would be a nice addition as well as a streetcar line to the area. Then I thought about a pedestrian bridge to connect the two areas/buildings/complexes, but that wouldn't work year-round and i can't see us building another one for awhile. So what do you guys think about a smaller version of the Gateway Arch. It would be visible for miles and that interchange would explode. The whole area would benefit tremendously. It would be like two more CWS year-round though! Crazy. Almost as crazy as my ideas, but what do you think?
Where is that Tornado Tower guy when you need him?

Post by Guest »

what happened to the great wolf idea? i think that another exhibit and a hotel that would co exist with the zoo (like disneyworld and other amusement parks have) i think that it would still leave enough parking for the zoo and inhance the whole zoo expierence.
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

Anonymous wrote:what happened to the great wolf idea? i think that another exhibit and a hotel that would co exist with the zoo (like disneyworld and other amusement parks have) i think that it would still leave enough parking for the zoo and inhance the whole zoo expierence.
Coming from the hotel/water resort industry, I can quite confidently say that I don't expect a GWL in Omaha anytime soon, if ever.  One water resort in a market this size is a stretch, honestly, especially with this "recession" we're in.
It would be nice to have a hotel down there, but besides the zoo, what's the draw to that area?  Don't get me wrong, I love the zoo, but is that enough for a hotel developer to justify a build?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

annad wrote:
Anonymous wrote:what happened to the great wolf idea? i think that another exhibit and a hotel that would co exist with the zoo (like disneyworld and other amusement parks have) i think that it would still leave enough parking for the zoo and inhance the whole zoo expierence.
Coming from the hotel/water resort industry, I can quite confidently say that I don't expect a GWL in Omaha anytime soon, if ever.  One water resort in a market this size is a stretch, honestly, especially with this "recession" we're in.
It would be nice to have a hotel down there, but besides the zoo, what's the draw to that area?  Don't get me wrong, I love the zoo, but is that enough for a hotel developer to justify a build?
I am not questioning your expertise by any means, but the Omaha World Herald published an article a couple of months ago saying that GWL was very interested in the Omaha market and the Rosenblatt property was on their short list.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

annad wrote:It would be nice to have a hotel down there, but besides the zoo, what's the draw to that area?  Don't get me wrong, I love the zoo, but is that enough for a hotel developer to justify a build?

The Zoo may be enough, considering is the 1# attraction in the state of Nebraska and attracts over 1.3 million visitors a year.
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
annad wrote:
I am not questioning your expertise by any means, but the Omaha World Herald published an article a couple of months ago saying that GWL was very interested in the Omaha market and the Rosenblatt property was on their short list.
Can anyone find that article?  I did a quick search and turned up 5573 results...(I hate forum searching!)

The only thing I've ever seen in the OWH about GWL is a 2/11/08 article entitled Omaha mayor, ex-mayor clash over ballpark with the following quote:  As many as 400 to 800 permanent jobs could be added in south Omaha if the zoo expanded its exhibits and parking onto the stadium grounds, Daub said. Part of the 47 acres could be sold to the Great Wolf Lodge or another destination hotel, he said. I've always taken that as just one idea that someone had for the land.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

All are just speculations:

Save Rosenblatt group looks for a new mission

KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Gernandt said it will be important to bring something to the Rosenblatt site that will serve as a gateway into south Omaha from Interstate 80. One possibility he mentioned is a Great Wolf Lodge-type tourist attraction that would cater to families who go to the zoo. Zoo officials have said little about any plans for the site. "We want to get an equal venue down there to replace Rosenblatt, instead of just a big parking lot," Gernandt said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And from the article you quoted:

Omaha mayor, ex-mayor clash over ballpark
C. DAVID KOTOK WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:"We have dozens of possible locations under consideration at any time," said Great Wolf Lodge spokeswoman Jennifer Beranek. The company does not comment on locations under consideration until a final decision is reached, she said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Acquiring 'Blatt site opens new zoo worlds
C. DAVID KOTOK OF THE OMAHA WORLD-HERALD wrote:The Omaha Zoo Foundation board has signed off on an agreement with the city to obtain the Rosenblatt Stadium property for the nearly $12 million the city still owes on past stadium improvements. The foundation plans to raze the stadium to replace parking that will be lost to a major new exhibit and to add even more spaces.

Dr. Lee Simmons, the zoo's executive director, said the Rosenblatt property will give the zoo the elbow room to build a blockbuster new attraction. The Arctic Center, featuring animals typical of Alaska, is planned west of the zoo's Desert Dome in what is now the parking area along 10th Street. But a new home for polar bears, seals, walruses, salmon and sea otters is just the start of what the zoo hopes to add in the next decade.

$100 million expansion
• Rosenblatt: Razed for 950 parking spaces
• Madagascar: Walk among bushy-tail lemurs
• Arctic Center: See polar bears, seals and otters
• Elephants: New home for up to a dozen more
• Pandas: Not yet, but still on the wish list
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Coyote wrote:Acquiring 'Blatt site opens new zoo worlds
C. DAVID KOTOK OF THE OMAHA WORLD-HERALD wrote:The Omaha Zoo Foundation board has signed off on an agreement with the city to obtain the Rosenblatt Stadium property for the nearly $12 million the city still owes on past stadium improvements. The foundation plans to raze the stadium to replace parking that will be lost to a major new exhibit and to add even more spaces.

Dr. Lee Simmons, the zoo's executive director, said the Rosenblatt property will give the zoo the elbow room to build a blockbuster new attraction. The Arctic Center, featuring animals typical of Alaska, is planned west of the zoo's Desert Dome in what is now the parking area along 10th Street. But a new home for polar bears, seals, walruses, salmon and sea otters is just the start of what the zoo hopes to add in the next decade.

$100 million expansion
• Rosenblatt: Razed for 950 parking spaces
• Madagascar: Walk among bushy-tail lemurs
• Arctic Center: See polar bears, seals and otters
• Elephants: New home for up to a dozen more
• Pandas: Not yet, but still on the wish list

Honestly, that is what I've been hoping for that property, let it be the parking area while the zoo utilizes other areas for expansion..  It's like a missing puzzle piece that is going to fit in very nicely!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Top Ten New Zoo Exhibits:

10. Gary Gernandt Memorial Pile of Rubble and Good Time South O Circle-Jerk-a-torium
9. Parking Lot
8. Parking Garage
7. Park 'n' Ride
6. ¿dónde están todas las mujeres blancas?
5. "No gee-ros... YEEEEE-ros!"
4. Parking Lot.
3. Federally funded site of Roger Clemens' first syringe in the |expletive|.
2. Jimmy Joe's Down Home Southern Fried Panda Burgers.
1. Pretty, pretty butterflys!
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Big E wrote:6. ¿dónde están todas las mujeres blancas?
Uh, yea, right.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Other possible new attractions include an Australian outback exhibit, three splash fountains to help kids cool off in the summer heat and a chair skyway. Similar to a ski lift, the skyway would carry people between the zoo entrance and the new elephant area for a bird's-eye view of the animals.

As part of the zoo's expansion, a high-visibility tourist welcome center would be built on zoo-owned land at the northwest corner of 13th Street and Interstate 80. The center likely would be a combined operation of the city and state and would replace the existing state-operated center situated a few blocks off the Interstate on 10th Street.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

First Omaha zoo expansion could open by next summer
C. DAVID KOTOK AND JANE PALMER WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS wrote:The $7.5 million project will be named the Ted Hubbard Madagascar exhibit in honor of the late Theodore Hubbard, an Omaha cardiologist. His widow, Claire Hubbard, and family donated the funds for the Madagascar exhibit. The Hubbard family also were the largest contributors to both the Hubbard Gorilla Valley and the orangutan exhibit.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

It sounds like the zoo is going to really take advantage of the new land offering (and the bonds for the stadium will be paid off!).

I like the idea of the chair lift over the zoo for a bird's eye view!

Post by Guest »

I agree I'm all about the lift.   Do any other zoo's have something like this?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

World Wildlife zoo in the Phoenix area has one

http://www.wildlifeworld.com/visit/zoo-map.shtml

Along with the zoo in Milwaukee

http://www.milwaukeezoo.org/visit/map/skysafari.php
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

San Diego also has the "Skyfari aerial tram".

p.s.  so maybe this thread should migrate or merge(with another) over in the urban development forum as this is no longer a rumor.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

If the overall city of Omaha ran as well as our zoo, Omaha would be #1 in every category worth being #1 in.  I try to visit the zoo once or twice a year, and always have a great time.  It would take an entire day to see every exhibit.  I have been to the Butterfly sanctuary in Key West ($16 to walk in the door, and no zoo attached), and I know this will be a great addition.  The Madagascar addition will no doubt raise the bar a little bit more, and I will happily await a new home for the lowly elephants, on land the zoo has purchased for expansion on the far east side of the zoo.  The sky tram will make this area accessible to many who cannot walk that distance from the zoo's front.  And the proposed Arctic addition on the west side sounds like a (...oh, don't use the pun....oh, puhleeze don't say...) COOL idea!  The news reports that the zoo plans extensive landscaping to mask the additional parking area is still better news.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

I agree with nativeomahan, that Omaha have #1 zoo in the nation,
but Omaha is #1 in every category. That is an personal Opinion. I wish!!

This is Rendering of the Ted Hubbard Madagascar exhibit
from on-line version of Monday’s Omaha World-Herald article:

First Omaha zoo expansion could open by next summer
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its about time they dump some money in to the Pacoderm Hill!  I always felt sorry for the elephants up there.

Also I don't want to be "that guy", but I told you so!  :;):
I, on 4/26/2008 wrote:Here is what will happen.... 99.99999% odds.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Filmed at HDZ:

[youtube][/youtube]
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Filmed at HDZ:

[youtube][/youtube]

Really COOL

and a thread revival to boot!!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

You know, I really adore HDZ, but I was there at the beginning of July and it seems they're not paying attention to some things...  The aviary is in terrible shape.   Very few birds compared to even a few years ago, and the signage was literally rotting and falling apart.   The wooden walkway near the east end was pretty shaky too.     Signage all over the zoo was in terrible shape - faded, broken, or wrong.  

I love the megaexhibits, and I look forward to each new one, but they're neglecting basic maintenance and some of the older exhibits.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have always thought they the Zoo builds incredible exhibits, but then puts ZERO in to them after they are built.  The worst part right now is the south end where they had that fire a few winters ago... NO progress since then.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

you know, when we were there a few weeks ago, we were talking about that.  We love the zoo (buy a membership every year) but yeah, they should do something with the up-keep.  Example: railing in the jungle that was worn out by the vines drooped on it.  Been like that forever (although i personally don't really mind it, because it adds to the charm) but then you go by where they have the signs along the railing and some are faded out and some missing.  They had a sign by the cat complex that was broken, and you'd want to think they'd try to get it fixed asap because they are putting on a show for quite a few out of state visitors.  If they aren't happy, they don't come back.
Go Cubs Go
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Asten wrote:You know, I really adore HDZ, but I was there at the beginning of July and it seems they're not paying attention to some things...  The aviary is in terrible shape.   Very few birds compared to even a few years ago, and the signage was literally rotting and falling apart.   The wooden walkway near the east end was pretty shaky too.     Signage all over the zoo was in terrible shape - faded, broken, or wrong.  

I love the megaexhibits, and I look forward to each new one, but they're neglecting basic maintenance and some of the older exhibits.
AMEN!  The Pavilion just got another overhaul.  It seems like that is the only place that gets updates every 5 years or so.  The older buildings (like the giraffe complex) are full of cobwebs and poorly maintained.  How hard is it to sweep out the cobwebs every couple months at least?

I love our zoo, but it does have some missed potential in the form of basic maintenance.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

very true, simmons is always looking at the big catch/exhibit and tends to forget the smaller less seen exhibits
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Zoo director has mammoth plans
Dr. Lee Simmons envisions an arctic environment, elephant center and other specialized areas, he told chamber members at a luncheon Tuesday at the Mid-America Center. It was the chamber's final quarterly meeting of its fiscal year.

"We've got a number of projects we'd like to do over the next 10 years or so, and we decided to put some of them on paper," he said. "Polar bears are in trouble, and polar bears are one of the most popular animals at the zoo." . . . .

Buying and demolishing Rosenblatt Stadium will make room for about 950 additional parking spaces, Simmons said. Although the zoo needs all of the parking, the Arctic exhibit would consume almost half of them, he said. . . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan