Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha zoo director discusses gorilla's death
Jane Palmer and Kevin Cole OWH wrote:The silverback gorilla that struck and killed his daughter at the Henry Doorly Zoo still will be used for breeding but might not be allowed around young female gorillas again.

Samson, a 13-year-old male silverback gorilla, is genetically important to the gorilla population, Dr. Lee Simmons, the zoo’s director, told a press conference today.

"I’m not at all sure to trust Samson around other young females," Simmons said.

Samson struck his daughter, Baina, about 10:15 a.m. Thursday .

"(Samson) suddenly jumped and slapped (Baina) and knocked her off her feet and down the side of the enclosure," Simmons said. "She fell and hit her head. There was tremendous head trauma."

Zoo staffers put forth "a heroic struggle" to save her life, Simmons said. The 3-year-old was even taken to the Nebraska Medical Center for a CAT scan. But Baina died at the hospital about 12:30 p.m.

The 3-year-old's skull and neck were not broken by the impact, but the effects of the concussion were severe enough to cause death, Dr. Bill Lydiatt, a head and neck surgical oncologist at the Medical Center said in a telephone interview today.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Who would have know Gorillas could be so bad?

DTO
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

What a truly sad and tragic day for the Omaha zoo as well as zoo keepers around the world.  Its sad that a freak accident took the life of an endangered species and a beautiful silver back gorilla.
where the corn meets the concrete
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It's not sad. It's nature.
DTO
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Trust me, I am not PETA member.  One would argue that this is not nature for two reasons.  First and foremost is that she hit her head on the side of her enclosure, there are not enclosures in nature.  The other thing being that she was being introduced to her mate where in nature, there is no introduction.  With that said, nature is often said.  Even though you do not see the beauty in this, you can't tell me that someone being killed tornado or a hurricane is not sad?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'd argue it's not the same. Animals aren't people. I will never understand why people have such feelings for food...I mean animals. Animals kill their young in the wild all the time.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

1) It's hugely significant from the standpoint that they are trying to breed an endangered species.  

2) The real travesty here is that this will garner the same amount of local media coverage as any one single shooting in Omaha this year, including the cop a few weeks ago.
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

DTO Luv wrote: Animals aren't people. Animals kill their young in the wild all the time.
People kill their kids all the time too.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Late Saturday afternoon, I took a nice walking loop thru the Zoo with stops at:
 - Garden of the Senses
 - Madagascar exhibit - Under construction
 - Simmons Aviary
 - Hubbard Gorilla Valley & Orangutan Forest

They are coming along with the construction of the Ted Hubbard Madagascar exhibit.
Here are photos from my Saturday loop thru the zoo.

The building is beginning to look likes this rendering.

It should open next summer
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I did not realize that exhibit was that far along.  Thanks for the photos SaOmaha.
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

Skyfari!!

New attraction to give visitors bird's eye view of zoo

BY JANE PALMER
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Bird's eye views aren't just for the birds at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo. Visitors will have them soon, too.

The zoo is starting now to build an overhead tram, like a chair lift on a ski slope, to get visitors from one side of the zoo to the other.

"We're going to call it the Skyfari," zoo director Lee Simmons said Monday in a phone interview from Australia. "It will go from the south end of the butterfly house to Pachyderm Hill and land on the far side of the rhino yard."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10465040
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Good grief... the zoo has a |expletive| load of money.  I wonder if this is cash/commitments they've been stock piling in anticipation of pandas... now being spent with the realization the pandas aren't happening any time soon.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Or they realize they need a gimmick to get people to walk up that big hill to see the lousy pachyderm display...

I know that Pachyderm remodel is on the list, but I think it should be given a higher priority.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I wouldn't completely discount the pandas ever happening. The zoo does have a lot of other big plans in the works.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No chance while Doc is there.  He said "If China wants us to have Pandas, they will come to us"

Its probably not a big deal because zoos loose money with pandas.  I would rather have several awesome exhibits over pandas.  The plan for the panda house was located where that Madagascar exhibit is currently under construction.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:No chance while Doc is there.  He said "If China wants us to have Pandas, they will come to us"

Its probably not a big deal because zoos loose money with pandas.  I would rather have several awesome exhibits over pandas.  The plan for the panda house was located where that Madagascar exhibit is currently under construction.
I know what he said but I also know things going on there.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:
Brad wrote:No chance while Doc is there.  He said "If China wants us to have Pandas, they will come to us"

If I am wrong, he is lying to employees and donors.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:

If I am wrong, he is lying to employees and donors.
I am sure he is,  :;):   ..... but at least we know he is giving the strainght scoop to DTO
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Whatever. I know what I know.
DTO
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Monday Newspaper Article New attraction to give visitors bird's eye view of zoo published this map of new Skyfari Ride

The Skyfari will travel from just south of the butterfly house to Pachyderm Hill and back, over the giraffes, cheetahs, Garden of the Senses and the lagoon.

The other day I did Google Search for Skyfari, and found aerial ride in these zoos

- Bronx Zoo (New York City)
- San Diego Zoo

I did another Google Search for Skyfari aerial tram and learned the national Zoo in Washington DC has plans for one.
http://dcist.com/2008/05/20/national_zoo_wa.php

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have been on the on at the San Diego Zoo - this will be a great addition and make the zoo more user friendly. Nice!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The zoo is going to have a lot of amazing projects over the next few years. Omaha really has a reason to be proud of it.
DTO
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

As said by the others, this will be just one more of a long line of amazing projects.  You photographers are going to get some cool shots from up there.
Nevets
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nevets »

Hello, My fiancee and I both went to the zoo on tuesday.

We both got degrees in zoology with a concentration in animal behavior and neurobiology from Michigan state university. We moved to davenport, iowa this month for more schooling, and visiting the zoo was something I wanted to do before school started. The dome was something I have wanted to see for years.

We both loved the zoo, definitely the best zoo I have ever visited. My fiancee, who has been to the san diego zoo, said the desert dome alone was
better than the SD zoo.

Seeing all the construction (what I know now is going to be the Madagascar exhibit), I had to see what they are doing next, so I searched online. Wow, I have never seen a zoo this ambitious, can't wait to see all the additions. The Detroit zoo (near where I am from) currently has the best arctic exhibit in the world, it will be interesting to see how the henry doorly zoo does theirs.

Overall, there are a couple things I would like to see done to improve the zoo.

1) Not all the exhibits have educational information on the animals.

2) There needs to be better signs around the zoo. There were a couple times there were forks in the path and no signs letting us know which way to go. Also on some of the indoor exhibits there needs to be signs letting you know you can go into those areas. Like at the cat complex and giraffe house, the doors into them look like they are zookeeper doors.

3) While most the zoo's exhibits are world class, there are still some that are pretty outdated. Specifically a couple of the primate cages are small, the one's near the petting zoo. And the cat house. It would be nice to see a couple more areas like the lions' outdoor area. That way the big cats could be alternated in and out of the big areas. It would be amazing to see the entire zoo with modern enclosures.

4) There are a couple exhibits where there are predator animals directly next to prey animals. Usually this is not a good idea since it drives the predator animals nuts and the prey animals have high fear. But I am sure they did a lot of research on this and it must work, or it probably would have been fixed a while ago.

Anyway A+ zoo, I can't wait to visit again, I wish I was closer to it.

And finally, if it is true, I am glad the director is choosing to build these other exhibits instead of bring in pandas. It is not fair what the chinese government does with them.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Thanks for sharing your insight Nevets - and welcome to eOmahaForums!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nevets wrote:4) There are a couple exhibits where there are predator animals directly next to prey animals. Usually this is not a good idea since it drives the predator animals nuts and the prey animals have high fear. But I am sure they did a lot of research on this and it must work, or it probably would have been fixed a while ago.
I know for a fact in the dome, that's the way they designed it.  There is a cat next to the Klipspringers.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Zoo launched their new website:

http://www.omahazoo.com/
DonniTeamMOAP
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DonniTeamMOAP »

I like the Zoo a lot and the Desert dome made me miss home, but in no way is the Henry Doorly Zoo better than the San Diego Zoo. I know I may catch heat over this too but it's just my honest opinion.
http://www.moap.us
My Omaha Area Portal - Support Local Business
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:The Zoo launched their new website:

http://www.omahazoo.com/
MUCH better than their old site.
Go Cubs Go
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

At the zoo today there were about 3 or 4 dozen pallets with cinder blocks on them on the SW side of the butterfly pavilion............skytram?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

DonniTeamMOAP wrote:I like the Zoo a lot and the Desert dome made me miss home, but in no way is the Henry Doorly Zoo better than the San Diego Zoo. I know I may catch heat over this too but it's just my honest opinion.
They are each great zoos.  I like the Omaha zoo better for some things, and the S.D. zoo for others.  The intro of a sky tram in Omaha will bring our zoo up to par with S.D. in that area.  Obviously the Omaha zoo is continuing to plan better and larger exhibits, but I am sure so is every other zoo out there.  In the end we, and the animals, all win.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i'm just glad that my $65 each year goes to cool new stuff.
Go Cubs Go
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

That is a beautiful new website.  Has anyone been to the zoo to see how the tram is progressing?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

King of the jungle: Omaha gets a new zoo director

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10537276
HENRY J. CORDES WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Pate will be formally introduced Wednesday morning as the new leader of one of Omaha's most recognized and treasured institutions. On March 16 he will succeed the legendary Dr. Lee Simmons, who over nearly four decades led the transformation of a once-sleepy city zoo into one of the nation's very best.

"The challenge for me is to continue to grow it," the 57-year-old Pate said in an interview Tuesday. "I will work hard to build on Lee's legacy."

Pate, who has made his own mark developing the Jacksonville zoo, will take over the Omaha zoo at a time of historic opportunity.

With the construction of a new downtown ballpark, the zoo by 2011 will be taking over the land on which Rosenblatt Stadium sits. The move provides the zoo with a new front door and acres of land for future development.

Walter Scott Jr., the chairman of the zoo's board and a major zoo benefactor, said Pate already has proved he's capable of taking a zoo "to the next level."

"We were looking for someone who can make things happen," Scott said. "We have a great opportunity to build a bigger and better zoo."

The nearly 71-year-old Simmons is stepping away from day-to-day direction of the zoo - a job he's had since 1970 - to become board chairman of the Omaha Zoo Foundation.

In his new role, he will lead efforts to raise money for continued expansion of the zoo's facilities and research programs.

"We've got all these plans, all these long-range things that we'd like to see done - all of which will take money," Simmons said. "My big passion is to see the zoo move forward and continue to progress."

Simmons and the zoo's board have been planning for his retirement for more than a year.
Last edited by Brad on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good press conference.  Doc and his usual seance of humor. "There are a few reporters I would like to beat the heck out of"

However, he said what I posted earlier, Pandas are very low on the priority list.  He sad the ball is in China's court, and its not Omaha's decision.  Its China's and DC's politics that will decide IF we ever get them.

Dennis and Lee both said that their favorite project is the "next" project, which is great for more new exhibits.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Well that kind of sucks.  My wife and i will still buy our annual membership, but i just hope that Pate (pronounced, pat-tay?  Like the food?) doesn't screw it up.  I'd hate to see him scale back because of [whatever--mainly money issues, and getting greedy] and turn us from first rate, to second class.

I don't trust them "ferners" from other states.
Go Cubs Go
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I take this as good news overall.  As great a zoo director as he was, in his new role he might be able to focus even more on fund raising.  As an aside, has anybody been out to the zoo recently to see how Skyfari is doing?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

thenewguy wrote:Well that kind of sucks.  My wife and i will still buy our annual membership, but i just hope that Pate (pronounced, pat-tay?  Like the food?) doesn't screw it up.  I'd hate to see him scale back because of [whatever--mainly money issues, and getting greedy] and turn us from first rate, to second class.

I don't trust them "ferners" from other states.
I think its time Lee left.  Maybe now we'll finally get some street level retail at the zoo.  Maybe some high rise residential too.
How about selling naming rights?  The Henry Bank of the West Doorly Zoo, perhaps?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

NovakOmaha wrote:
I think its time Lee left.  Maybe now we'll finally get some street level retail at the zoo.  Maybe some high rise residential too.
How about selling naming rights?  The Henry Bank of the West Doorly Zoo, perhaps?
Yeah, we need a more pedestrian-friendly Cat Complex. ...and a grass-covered berm with picnic tables on pachyderm hill.  :yes: