Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Orangutans help zoo set record
OMaha World Herald wrote:Dr. Lee Simmons, the zoo director, credited the zoo's new Orangutan Forest with attracting 50,820 visitors Friday through Monday.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice pictures, I need to go.
Coyote
City Council

Zoo Challenge

Post by Coyote »

OmahaZoo.com wrote:Calling all photographers!

Challenge yourself to take the ultimate Zoo photo and enter the Omaha Zoo’s Photo Challenge, January 2-February 10! Bring your camera to the Zoo during this timeframe, and take your best shot! Once you have your best photo, send it to Zoo’s Photo Challenge at 3701 S. 10th Street, Omaha, NE 68107. Please submit a 5” X 7” print, un-mounted with your name, address, phone number, e-mail address and age taped to the back of the photo. Photos will not be returned.

Your photo will be displayed in the Wild Kingdom Pavilion February 11 through March 5. Visitors will vote on the best photo in four different categories: plant, animal, people and scenery. All participants will receive a prize, and grand prizes will be awarded to the top three photos in each category. For more information, please call (402) 738-2038.
eOmaha Photo Meet at the Zoo?
Coyote
City Council

New Zoo Video

Post by Coyote »

Video gives visitors a piece of the Omaha zoo
Omaha World Herald wrote:Scott von Freiberg of Omaha worked with the zoo's director and marketing department to produce the comprehensive look at current exhibits, segments on the zoo's history and the building of such architectural marvels as the Lied Jungle.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

This has been available at the zoo for at least 6 months now (maybe even longer).
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

I'll be there Saturday taking pictures for this contest. Photos are limited to 5X7's so that means no Panorama pics for me. Too bad this contest is running during the winter as the outdoor gardens are out of season. The sceney category will have to be all indoors as well.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Cool! I'll have to snap a few shots! :)
Asten
Human Relations

Re: New Zoo Video

Post by Asten »

Coyote wrote:Video gives visitors a piece of the Omaha zoo
Omaha World Herald wrote:Scott von Freiberg of Omaha worked with the zoo's director and marketing department to produce the comprehensive look at current exhibits, segments on the zoo's history and the building of such architectural marvels as the Lied Jungle.
I saw this the last time I was down there a month or so ago.... I was extremely tempted to buy it, but $30 for 42 minutes was too far into the "you're kidding, right?" price range.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

All in all it’s great publicity for Omaha.
15-17, 26, 32
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

I saw this the last time I was down there a month or so ago.... I was extremely tempted to buy it, but $30 for 42 minutes was too far into the "you're kidding, right?" price range.
Same here. While the zoo is definately a marvel, I don't see a lot of market for this video.

Now, a video that starred a National Geographic Photographer teaching a seminar to get the best photographs of our zoo would be something I couldn't resist picking up.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

bradley414 wrote:
Same here. While the zoo is definately a marvel, I don't see a lot of market for this video.

Now, a video that starred a National Geographic Photographer teaching a seminar to get the best photographs of our zoo would be something I couldn't resist picking up.
Oh, i think there's a market - maybe at $15. Not at $30.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Ok, I went to the zoo last weekend and took a few hundred pictures.  Out of all the animals I shot, I am stuck deciding between these two to enter into the contest.

Contest is based on public votes, so tell me, which of these two pictures would you vote for?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Last edited by TechnicalDisaster on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

i think the first one is very striking. The tiger staring right at the camera draws your eye too it. I like the second one as well, but think the first one would do better in the contest.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Wow Bradley, great stuff there, if I get over there to shoot pics, you've set the bar extremely high. Of the two, I'd also go with the tiger, amazing picture. Great job.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I love both of them, but since I HAVE to choose one I would pick the tiger one. Good luck to you Chris.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Tiger shot is a MUCH better composition, and not nearly as cliched as the eagle (not to say it isn't a nice photo).

BUT, you might be able to win a public opinion contest if you Photoshop in a yellow ribbon and maybe a Bush/Cheney '04 sticker somewhere. ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I’d say the kitty 1
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I prefer wide angle lenses, which sort of disqualifies me from this contest by default ("I swear officer, I just climbed into the cage to get a wide angle shot of the penguin").

That being said, I like the first one.

The second one is really good also, but the first one is much more unique.
Last edited by Swift on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Pretty soon will be able to take pics of pandas yay.
15-17, 26, 32
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Thanks for the comments guys. All the feedback I have been getting points to the tigers.

Since I blew the highlights in this bird image, it didn't make the cut:

Pic I'm entering in the plants category:

And the Scenery category:
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

Brad,
For what it is worth I think the Tiger picture is great!!
Patty Beeken
MDS Coordinator Eastern Nebraska Veteran's Home
Serving America's Heroes

There is no time limit to solving a mystery
url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Those are great pics, Bradley! Wags is right, you're really setting the bar high for the rest of us grunts! :)
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:22 pm Post subject:
Those are great pics, Bradley! Wags is right, you're really setting the bar high for the rest of us grunts!
Funny you should say that, I was most interested in this contest because my wildlife and birding pictures were never that good (IMO). I thought this would be a good opportunity to experiment and practice.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Nice work!

David Mangelsen would be proud.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

bradley414 wrote:
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:22 pm Post subject:
Those are great pics, Bradley! Wags is right, you're really setting the bar high for the rest of us grunts!
Funny you should say that, I was most interested in this contest because my wildlife and birding pictures were never that good (IMO). I thought this would be a good opportunity to experiment and practice.
Haha, you are such a show off man. :lol:
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

both are great pics brad, I'd love to see more of your zoo shots if you feel like sharing.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Those are fantastic pictures bradley..If I had to choose, I'd go with the Tiger..

Very impressive :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think the coolest thing I ever saw at the zoo was in the old gorilla house these to gorillas were figthing. And I mean fighting! They were throwing each other into the glass and roaring. Definantly wish I had a camera then.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I went to the zoo today, I think this is the animal pic I'm gonna send in, not sure yet. I'll post a few more later, I'm gonna go watch football. :)

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

VERY impressive as well wags..

Nice pic :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Thanks Lou! Heres a couple more shots just for kicks.

nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

one thought about all the tiger shots. While all the pics on here I've seen have been great, I wonder if another shot might be better for a competition. I'm just thinking that the tigers have to be one of the easier animals to shoot at the zoo, so the numbers of such enteries may be greater. Therefore, one may do better in selecting another shot to distinguish one's self. Just a thought.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah I thought about that too, nebport. I will give ya that it is the cats are easier to work with due to cats being lazy and holding still. :D Those darn monkeyes are like kids on too much sugar! :lol: I kinda was flying through the zoo, I didn't get there till 2 and they close at 5, 3 hours isn't enough time at all, IMO. Plus this time of year, the choices are a little more limited because they have some of the animals put away for winter. I don't even know if I'm really going to enter anything to the zoo cause I'm lazy like those cats. :) If I do, I'm thinking this will be my plant pic.

For senic, Im thinkin one of these two, prolly the first one.

Heres about the best monkey shot of the day.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Nice work guys!

As I mentioned briefly in another thread, I got a Nikon D70S for Christmas. My wife has all sorts of 'analog' lenses for an N90S... so I'm set. Unfortunately, I just demonstrated that nice equipment doesn't ensure nice results. I have alot to learn, especially where flash photography is concerned. Anyone recommend any good books?

I spent most of my time trying to get this guy to smile for me.

Maybe I'll go back sometime during my lunch hour to try again.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I really like that second photo. Crop out the trunk and its a real spooky look.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

wags..Once again, VERY high quality photgraphy..

Same goes for you Jeff..

It really amazes me how many talanted photographers we have on this forum..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Nice shots Jeff, I'm with Tuna, that last one is kinda freaky, good stuff. I also ended up with more blurry shots in the rainforest, the lighting isn't the best in there, and you cant really set up a tripod on the pathway without making a ton of people angry.

Thanks again Lou, I still have lots to learn, but getting a little better. Your right about the level of forumers photography though, I see the other guys shots, and it pushes me to do that much better.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

I have alot to learn, especially where flash photography is concerned. Anyone recommend any good books?
No book will teach you as much as trial and error. Are you using on camera flash or External? I always hear so much applause for the Nikon SB800 Flash.

I couldn't read your ISO information in your EXIF, but my guess it was set to 200. Flash fall off is exponential, especially at great distances. I would have set the ISO to 400 or even 800. You have a DSLR now, which handles noise at high ISO just fine. The D70s also has Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) and maybe FEC +1 would have helped a little.

If you have no idea what I just said, read your manual and experiment in your house.

BTW, the St Cecilia/Lauritzen Garden Flower Festival is coming up. That would be a good place to learn flash techniques. I'll be there taking pictures, and would be happy to give some flash instructions.
I went to the zoo today, I think this is the animal pic I'm gonna send in, not sure yet. I'll post a few more later, I'm gonna go watch football.
Those are great shots wags!
Nice shots Jeff, I'm with Tuna, that last one is kinda freaky, good stuff. I also ended up with more blurry shots in the rainforest, the lighting isn't the best in there, and you cant really set up a tripod on the pathway without making a ton of people angry.
I can't count how often I get people mad at me for using a tripod in tight places in the Kingdoms of the Night below the Desert Dome. I had to point out to one lady who told me I was being rude that her stroller took up more space then my tripod.

What's even better is use an external flash in the Croc Swamp. Set the FEC to +3, ISO to 100 and watch that light blind everyone in the room :twisted:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

In the interest of saving space, I'm showing up this week with Alien Bees strapped to my back like a carrot on a stick!! :lol:
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

You have Alien Bees? I'm thinking of purchasing a set in the near future. This set here: http://www.alienbees.com/busy.html What wattage you have? What do you think of them? Do you shoot with umbrella's or softboxes? Do you use them for locations with battery packs? (I think you can tell that I really want to buy some!)

Currently for locations, I use my Sigma DG 500 Super mounted on a light stand with an umbrella tethered to my 20D. I think I 'm going to pick up the 580EX so I can use a battery pack at weddings.