The Omaha World Herald

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

jessep28
Planning Board

Re: The Omaha World Herald

Postby jessep28 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 pm

It generally bothers me that Berkshire owns the two largest newspapers in Nebraska. If any legitimate story critical of the Buffetts, Berkshire or related entity materializes, it won't see the light of day, unless one of the TV outlets or other regional/national newspaper people actually pay attention to picks it up.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:05 am

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
In other words, this isn't an example of entitlement so much as economic modeling.

Look at today's print issue of the Monday paper and count the big advertising ads. There are only about 15 of them in the whole paper. They might of once made a bunch of money off the ads but it sure don't look that way now. The money they get from subscriptions has to be a substantial portion of what little income they take in. If they are letting the moochers get the paper for free off the internet they are contributing to the destruction of what little source of revenue they have left.

Ok, let's start with the easiest. Monday is and always has been one of the least read papers. Thus advertisers don't put money into it. Thursday, Saturday and especially Sunday are the most read editions. Pretty much any first year media student knows this.
Next, subscriptions account for a tiny part of newspaper revenue. Advertising provides the lion's share. Thus, the reason for papers having specials that are very cheap.
Finally, As with facebook, twitter, etc., new media is free for the user in exchange for ad revenue. The "moochers" are part of the numbers shown to advertisers to justify ad rates.

It's simple economics these days. What Grandpa posits is logical to those who don't understand 21st century revenue and profit matrix's. Do you pay for google searches? Facebook? Twitter? Other web sites? No. You as a user are part of a huge number of users that trade free access in exchange for having ads on the web sites and those companies are wildly successful. The owh is very short sighted by limiting page views. Advertisers look at page views in determining if the ad rates per click are worth it. There is way more money in ads vs. subscriptions. Fact, not opinion. My company buys ads. We place value in clicks.

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:27 pm

I have heard from a very good source within the World-Herald that the World-Herald is hurting right now. The World-Herald numbers are way off where they want them.

I see a lot of magazines that let you read their product online and it has the look of a magazine. I don't recall if its a pdf or some sort of internet plug in, but which ever it is, you see the full page exactly how its printed in the hard copy. I wonder if something similar would benefit the World-Herald. I notice the advertisements a lot more in the magazine look than I do on the traditional World-Herald online story.
where the corn meets the concrete

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:28 pm

windsor wrote:I have heard from a very good source within the World-Herald that the World-Herald is hurting right now. The World-Herald numbers are way off where they want them.

I see a lot of magazines that let you read their product online and it has the look of a magazine. I don't recall if its a pdf or some sort of internet plug in, but which ever it is, you see the full page exactly how its printed in the hard copy. I wonder if something similar would benefit the World-Herald. I notice the advertisements a lot more in the magazine look than I do on the traditional World-Herald online story.

The OWH already has this. You get access to it as a seven day subscriber. You can subscribe seperatly also. The problem is that it cost more to subscribe to the e Version than the seven day print version. I think if you go to their web site subscription area you can see an sample of how it works.

I read it using the e paper over half the time. THe M- F get mostly read on glass and the print go straight to recycle. THe S and S I still read the print for the most part.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

daveoma
Human Relations

Postby daveoma » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

I just saw the digital only offer online. I don't like there's an account setup fee of $6. Plus I think $10 per month is decent, but a little steep. I think $5 per month would be better. That's the going rate for an online music station that I listen to. Plus they don't mention anything about whether or not you see ads when you're a subscriber. They should have a free web edition in which you're bombarded by ads, then $5 per month for no ads.

daveoma
Human Relations

Postby daveoma » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Another complaint about the OWH. Today they listed a story saying Rep Bacon will hold a town hall on Monday night but didn't give a date. Is it October 16? Or did they publish the article today when the event was held yesterday? I didn't see an announcement regarding the turn hall on the Congressman's website earlier today.

GrandpaaSmucker
Home Owners Association

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:52 pm

daveoma wrote:Another complaint about the OWH. Today they listed a story saying Rep Bacon will hold a town hall on Monday night but didn't give a date. Is it October 16? Or did they publish the article today when the event was held yesterday? I didn't see an announcement regarding the turn hall on the Congressman's website earlier today.

I saw that too. Darn Fake News anyway!

damonhynes
Home Owners Association

Postby damonhynes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:03 am

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
daveoma wrote:Another complaint about the OWH. Today they listed a story saying Rep Bacon will hold a town hall on Monday night but didn't give a date. Is it October 16? Or did they publish the article today when the event was held yesterday? I didn't see an announcement regarding the turn hall on the Congressman's website earlier today.

I saw that too. Darn Fake News anyway!

Not necessarily fake news, just lazy news. Is it any wonder why they're in bed with Channel Third?
https://www.facebook.com/OmaNews/

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Just got an email saying Sunday delivery plus full digital access for $1.50 per week.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Coyote wrote:Just got an email saying Sunday delivery plus full digital access for $1.50 per week.

New subscriber package I think. Does it say how tong this price lasts?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm

nativeomahan
Planning Board

Postby nativeomahan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Return to “General Discussion”