General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

buildomaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Nebraska Wind Energy

Postby buildomaha » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

daveoma wrote:
Brad wrote:
daveoma wrote:I would love it if someday, the city allowed quiet wind turbines to be used by businesses and homeowners. It would be great to have in the event of a natural disaster.

There were 4, a House on 72 and Cass had one, Morrissey Engineering has had 2 different turbines, and a John Deere place on Industrial road has one, and at one time Rockbrook Village had one.

-The house on Cass has since removed theirs and replaced it with a large american flag, so may be that's a statement that they forced them to removed it. It was there for quite a while along with a bunch of solar that is still there.
-Morrissey's last one was ruined in a storm, not sure what happened to their first one.
-The John Deere one is still there last I looked
-Can't remember why Rockbrook took theirs down, but I think its in the Rockbrook thread.

In addition to those, Creighton has several on campus.

I think it would be awesome if someone took this to the city council. IMO residential wind in Omaha has the potential to be more viable than solar. Plus if we passed a law allowing it, then we'd be one of the first in the nation to do so as far as I know.

This sounds like something that would attract Elon Musk and his battery packs!

daveoma
Human Relations

Postby daveoma » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 am

buildomaha wrote:
daveoma wrote:
Brad wrote:
daveoma wrote:I would love it if someday, the city allowed quiet wind turbines to be used by businesses and homeowners. It would be great to have in the event of a natural disaster.

There were 4, a House on 72 and Cass had one, Morrissey Engineering has had 2 different turbines, and a John Deere place on Industrial road has one, and at one time Rockbrook Village had one.

-The house on Cass has since removed theirs and replaced it with a large american flag, so may be that's a statement that they forced them to removed it. It was there for quite a while along with a bunch of solar that is still there.
-Morrissey's last one was ruined in a storm, not sure what happened to their first one.
-The John Deere one is still there last I looked
-Can't remember why Rockbrook took theirs down, but I think its in the Rockbrook thread.

In addition to those, Creighton has several on campus.

I think it would be awesome if someone took this to the city council. IMO residential wind in Omaha has the potential to be more viable than solar. Plus if we passed a law allowing it, then we'd be one of the first in the nation to do so as far as I know.

This sounds like something that would attract Elon Musk and his battery packs!

EXACTLY!!! Consider not having to pay another OPPD bill in your life, because your wind turbines were constantly recharging your battery packs. When the wind isn't blowing, then your house would be powered by your batteries. It could change everything. :D :D :D

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:36 am

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Facebook-to-tap-the-wind-for-power-to-Papillion-plant-451612333.html

In announcing the Papillion project earlier the company said "It will be powered by 100% clean and renewable energy and will create thousands of jobs in the community over the next few years."

On Thursday the company said, "To ensure we are able to power our Papillion data center with clean and renewable energy, we came together with Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) to create a new tariff that ensures renewable energy solutions are accessible not just to Facebook, but other companies as well. With the new tariff in place, we were able to seek new Nebraska wind projects to meet our goal of powering our Papillion operations with 100 percent clean and renewable energy."

Facebook says the company worked with OPPD and Tradewind Energy to partner on a large new wind farm, known as the Rattlesnake Creek Wind Project. The project is located in Dixon County, Nebraska, about about 100 miles from the data center. It's expected to create up to 300 additional construction jobs.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:48 am

Half of OPPD's energy will come from renewable sources by 2020, CEO says

http://www.omaha.com/money/half-of-oppd ... b2462.html

Cole Epley / World-Herald Bureau wrote:LINCOLN — Omaha Public Power District President and Chief Executive Tim Burke said half the energy the utility sells to retail customers will come from renewable sources by the end of 2020.

Burke said in remarks over lunch at the 10th annual Nebraska Wind and Solar Conference on Monday that the utility is working on a request for proposals for up to 300 megawatts more of wind energy.

Once that project is online, more than 50 percent of OPPD’s retail sales will come from renewable energy sources.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Return to “General Discussion”