Nebraska License Plates

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

nebugeater
County Board

Re: Nebraska License Plates

Postby nebugeater » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Just go back to the first years that plate numbers were issued in Nebraska. You get assigned a number and are responsible for making your one plate with just a few basic guidelines.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

mrsticka
Human Relations

Postby mrsticka » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 am

I'd restore the county numbers for Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 pm

mrsticka wrote:I'd restore the county numbers for Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties.

You know, I agree with this.. I kind of miss the county numbers, based on population rank, from the old days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I'd restore the county numbers for Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties.

You know, I agree with this.. I kind of miss the county numbers, based on population rank, from the old days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Didn't they do away with the 1 and 2 numbers due to the number of plates falling short of the number of cars needing plates. With 4 numbers and 26 letters there are 26 x 4 factorial x 10 combinations (check my math). About 260,000 plates. That is why they went to the current system. They may not be able to go back.

mrsticka
Human Relations

Postby mrsticka » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:24 pm

They should've just added a 6th digit of serial. The letters are small enough to make room for it.

Example:
1-A12345
1-AB1234

That would've worked. :yes:

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:48 am

bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Didn't they do away with the 1 and 2 numbers due to the number of plates falling short of the number of cars needing plates. With 4 numbers and 26 letters there are 26 x 4 factorial x 10 combinations (check my math). About 260,000 plates. That is why they went to the current system. They may not be able to go back.

Did away with 1, 2, and 59.

Dundeemaha
Library Board

Postby Dundeemaha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 am

bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

The explanation I heard, which never made a ton of sense to me, was that they did away with 1, 2, and 59 to deal with demand/shortage issues. Those are the most populous counties so if one month there was a higher than expected # of plates requested in Lancaster County they had to rush order extra "2" plates at a premium, with those 3 dropping county numbers they can share a larger pool of plates to avoid rush orders.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:47 am

Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

The explanation I heard, which never made a ton of sense to me, was that they did away with 1, 2, and 59 to deal with demand/shortage issues. Those are the most populous counties so if one month there was a higher than expected # of plates requested in Lancaster County they had to rush order extra "2" plates at a premium, with those 3 dropping county numbers they can share a larger pool of plates to avoid rush orders.

here is my guess on why they REALLY dropped the 1,2,59 plates. Remember they wanted to do it state wide at first but got a LOT of push-back. Ended up with just the three large population counties.

When you have the county # and letter-Number combo you have historically gotten the same plate number when you renew and change plates. When The plate change is made all the plates needs to be made and stored for the existing numbers used so they are available at the time needed, or there needs to be much more involved system to make the plates in advance of when they are renewed. A much more involved process either way and more costly. The counties that still use the county number system still get the same number with the new plates.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:39 pm

nebugeater wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

here is my guess on why they REALLY dropped the 1,2,59 plates. Remember they wanted to do it state wide at first but got a LOT of push-back. Ended up with just the three large population counties.

When you have the county # and letter-Number combo you have historically gotten the same plate number when you renew and change plates. When The plate change is made all the plates needs to be made and stored for the existing numbers used so they are available at the time needed, or there needs to be much more involved system to make the plates in advance of when they are renewed. A much more involved process either way and more costly. The counties that still use the county number system still get the same number with the new plates.

Still, for me at least, I wish the state would go back to the county # plates from the old days. I don’t see any real reason why we couldn’t..

In the end, I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Still, for me at least, I wish the state would go back to the county # plates from the old days. I don’t see any real reason why we couldn’t..

In the end, I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I agree. Make Nebraska Great Again!!!!

If they can't do the county numbers then at least get the county name on the bottom. If Iowa can figure out how to make that work and we can't then go ASK!!!!

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I wish we had the county names on the bottom of the plate like Iowa does. I keep having to remind me ig 20 or 29 is Washington County or Cass....

mrsticka
Human Relations

Postby mrsticka » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:30 am

I know Sarpy didn't like having to stack their 59s. On some plates with less than 5 digits, the 59 would still be stacked.

Return to “General Discussion”