Morel Mushroom Hunting

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Morel Mushroom Hunting

Post by Linkin5 »

I didn't get to go much this year, in the past I have found tons in the Loess Hills by Woodbine, IA.  Anybody have any hotspots they would like to expose as this season is winding down?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I think the season's pretty much over, but I know of a few people who were finding grocery sacks full in Southwest Iowa (Sidney, Tabor, Thurman areas) in the Loess Hills.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My brother has always had great luck in the creek and river valleys of Cass county.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

thankfully, i know people who know good spots.  But i'll be damned if they aren't classified as top secret.  I've been fortunate to only have to pay  $5 a bag.
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Re: Morel Mushroom Hunting

Post by Coyote »

As interest mushrooms, skill pays in hunt for morels

Guess who is going hunting this week :;):
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Midwest morel mushroom season is in full swing

Right outside pf Council Bluffs, mushroom forager Joel Rybin finds that this is the perfect time of year that is "prime for picking."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

‘Fungi fever’ erupts as tasty morel mushrooms emerge from the ground

LINCOLN — Mushroom picking season has begun, with morels now emerging in eastern Nebraska’s river bottoms. In a few weeks, they should be found in more hilly, woodland areas above rivers, according to Greg “Outdoor Guy” Wagner of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission. Wagner said it takes patience, a sharp eye and selection of the right spots to gather morel mushrooms, as well as permission if you’re hunting on private land. “Walk slowly and scan the ground carefully. Where you find one, you should find more,” Wagner said.

“Walk slowly and scan the ground carefully. Where you find one, you should find more,” Wagner said. He recommends hunting near dead and decaying trees, like cottonwoods. State parks, state recreation areas and wildlife management areas owned and controlled by Game and Parks are open for non-commercial mushroom hunting. Wagner also recommends using insect repellent, carrying the picked mushrooms in a mesh back to keep them fresh and wearing brightly colored clothing so turkey hunters, if they are present, can see you. Beware of “false morels,” he added, which are red, have a brain-like lobes and are solid on the inside. They should not be eaten.

For more information and recipes on morel mushrooms, visit Hunt morels