Nebraska License Plates

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Nebraska License Plates

Post by nebugeater »

Just go back to the first years that plate numbers were issued in Nebraska. You get assigned a number and are responsible for making your one plate with just a few basic guidelines.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I'd restore the county numbers for Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:I'd restore the county numbers for Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties.
You know, I agree with this.. I kind of miss the county numbers, based on population rank, from the old days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I'd restore the county numbers for Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties.
You know, I agree with this.. I kind of miss the county numbers, based on population rank, from the old days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Didn't they do away with the 1 and 2 numbers due to the number of plates falling short of the number of cars needing plates. With 4 numbers and 26 letters there are 26 x 4 factorial x 10 combinations (check my math). About 260,000 plates. That is why they went to the current system. They may not be able to go back.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

They should've just added a 6th digit of serial. The letters are small enough to make room for it.

Example:
1-A12345
1-AB1234

That would've worked. :yes:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Didn't they do away with the 1 and 2 numbers due to the number of plates falling short of the number of cars needing plates. With 4 numbers and 26 letters there are 26 x 4 factorial x 10 combinations (check my math). About 260,000 plates. That is why they went to the current system. They may not be able to go back.
Did away with 1, 2, and 59.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
The explanation I heard, which never made a ton of sense to me, was that they did away with 1, 2, and 59 to deal with demand/shortage issues. Those are the most populous counties so if one month there was a higher than expected # of plates requested in Lancaster County they had to rush order extra "2" plates at a premium, with those 3 dropping county numbers they can share a larger pool of plates to avoid rush orders.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
The explanation I heard, which never made a ton of sense to me, was that they did away with 1, 2, and 59 to deal with demand/shortage issues. Those are the most populous counties so if one month there was a higher than expected # of plates requested in Lancaster County they had to rush order extra "2" plates at a premium, with those 3 dropping county numbers they can share a larger pool of plates to avoid rush orders.
here is my guess on why they REALLY dropped the 1,2,59 plates. Remember they wanted to do it state wide at first but got a LOT of push-back. Ended up with just the three large population counties.

When you have the county # and letter-Number combo you have historically gotten the same plate number when you renew and change plates. When The plate change is made all the plates needs to be made and stored for the existing numbers used so they are available at the time needed, or there needs to be much more involved system to make the plates in advance of when they are renewed. A much more involved process either way and more costly. The counties that still use the county number system still get the same number with the new plates.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
here is my guess on why they REALLY dropped the 1,2,59 plates. Remember they wanted to do it state wide at first but got a LOT of push-back. Ended up with just the three large population counties.

When you have the county # and letter-Number combo you have historically gotten the same plate number when you renew and change plates. When The plate change is made all the plates needs to be made and stored for the existing numbers used so they are available at the time needed, or there needs to be much more involved system to make the plates in advance of when they are renewed. A much more involved process either way and more costly. The counties that still use the county number system still get the same number with the new plates.
Still, for me at least, I wish the state would go back to the county # plates from the old days. I don’t see any real reason why we couldn’t..

In the end, I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Still, for me at least, I wish the state would go back to the county # plates from the old days. I don’t see any real reason why we couldn’t..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I agree. Make Nebraska Great Again!!!!

If they can't do the county numbers then at least get the county name on the bottom. If Iowa can figure out how to make that work and we can't then go ASK!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I wish we had the county names on the bottom of the plate like Iowa does. I keep having to remind me ig 20 or 29 is Washington County or Cass....
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I know Sarpy didn't like having to stack their 59s. On some plates with less than 5 digits, the 59 would still be stacked.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mountain lion license plates have clawed their way to the top

http://journalstar.com/news/local/mount ... op-story-1
PETER SALTER Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The Department of Motor Vehicles filed a fiscal note — a dollars-and-cents estimate of the impact of legislation — predicting it would sell 2,500 plates the first year.

They could have added another zero. Since Oct. 1, 2016, when the plates were introduced, the state has sold nearly 25,000.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Mountain lion license plates have clawed their way to the top

PETER SALTER Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The Department of Motor Vehicles filed a fiscal note — a dollars-and-cents estimate of the impact of legislation — predicting it would sell 2,500 plates the first year.

They could have added another zero. Since Oct. 1, 2016, when the plates were introduced, the state has sold nearly 25,000.
Nice and all but make all the specialty plates an added $5 rather than $70 for the organizational ones without the personal messages and see what happens to the numbers.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Mountain lion license plates have clawed their way to the top

Nice and all but make all the specialty plates an added $5 rather than $70 for the organizational ones without the personal messages and see what happens to the numbers.
Something tells me the way its going to go down is they will charge the Mt Lion plate holders much more in the near future.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ernie will filibuster that...
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I agree. Make Nebraska Great Again!!!!
:clap:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Native artist creates Nebraska's First People license plates

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (243.25 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Cops will love running those plates at 70 MPH on the interstate. My eyes!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Now that might be a specialty plate I’d be willing to spend my hard earned money on, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Someone said that drivers with 1 plates got ticketed for stuff drivers from other counties got away with.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

mrsticka wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:25 pm Someone said that drivers with 1 plates got ticketed for stuff drivers from other counties got away with.
In Lincoln, that was true. In some parts of east central Nebraska also true. Not so much in the panhandle. Saroyan co was hard on everyone.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Saroyan?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

mrsticka wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:43 pmSaroyan?
Curse you, Autocorrect! Should have been Sarpy.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

That's County #59 for you. They didn't like to stack their 59 code I know. On some plates with less than 5 serial digits, they still stacked their 59s even though they didn't need to.

What if Sarpy County residents were given a choice between having the standard "59" on their plates or the stacked "59"? Which one do you think they'd take?
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Should be new standard plates next year (2023) anyone seen any designs?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:04 pm Should be new standard plates next year (2023) anyone seen any designs?
They are probably trying to figure out what states capitol to use on the plate this time
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Why does the state insist on new plates every few years? Seems like quite a waste of time and money imo.
Our current design is fine, and not a cartoon mess like our neighbor to the east at least…
#gohawks
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think it's every six years, right? I can't believe time has flown by that fast. The last two were misses. But luckily they've given us plenty of other options to choose from.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I believe it would be 2017-2023 Nebraska License plates.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 would be six years, right?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This DMV pdf shows them going through 2023
https://dmv.nebraska.gov/sites/dmv.nebr ... Plates.pdf
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

buildomaha wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:20 pm Why does the state insist on new plates every few years? Seems like quite a waste of time and money imo.
Our current design is fine, and not a cartoon mess like our neighbor to the east at least…
A lot of states change plate designs every few years or so..It’s not just a Nebraska thing..

That said, I agree with you. I think the current design is just fine, and the state should stick with it until further notice.. But that’s me :)

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

IIRC, the state made that a law some time ago to cut down on fraud.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:20 pm IIRC, the state made that a law some time ago to cut down on fraud.
I always assumed it was a way to increase state income.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:20 pm IIRC, the state made that a law some time ago to cut down on fraud.
Correct me if I am wrong but the law changed it from every three to every six years so not cutting down on much fraud.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We have so many specialty plates now, I'm not sure there is much reason to change the basic plate very often.

I also wonder how a plain black plate with white letters (Copy Iowa) would go over here? They seem to be really popular in Iowa and I'm sure as much as people spend blacking out cars these day, there would be plenty of interest here.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska’s new license plate design unveiled

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Governor Pete Ricketts and First Lady Susanne Shore unveiled Nebraska’s new license plate design Tuesday. The plate was designed by Drew Davies—owner of Oxide Design Co. The design is inspired by a mosaic on the floor of the State Capitol building called “the genius of creative energy.” It depicts a Roman character harnessing earth, air, wind and fire.

Shore said there are several limitations placed on the design of the general license plate. “I need everyone to understand that there are legislatively required mandates that affect this general plate that don’t affect the specialty plates out there,” Shore said.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I think the ones we have right now look better and are fine by me..

Oh well…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Kind of plain, but I like it. I think most people would rather have the attention on their car and not on the plate (See my Iowa Comment above).