Nebraska License Plates

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Nebraska License Plates

Post by omahahawk »

*sigh*

Can we ever get away from covered wagons, chimney rock, and state capitol pics?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1638&u_sid=1299998
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another wagon leaving Nebraska...

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Those suck. And the only other Nebraska plate option is the F-ing Huskers. At least Iowa has some differant options. I wish they would jsut got back to the ones that were mostly white with a little color on the top with Chimney Rock and Lincoln. The colors and wagon on that plate look like something a 1980's art student puked up.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The other finalists:

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Why the heck didn't the Omaha one make it? Who votes for these plates? :x
DTO
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

The Omaha one isn't bad at all. At least better than what they choose. Between this and the quarter I'm seeing a real pattern develop.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

The Omaha one is OK but IMHO could have been a lot better. I much prefer the one on top with the state bird and flower.
Last edited by omahahawk on Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The bird one remind of a green version of Iowa's bird plate.
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

That Omaha one was awsome, the only problem was it was missing a building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

DTO Luv wrote:Why the heck didn't the Omaha one make it? Who votes for these plates?
BNSF.com wrote:Alliance Carman's License Plate Design Wins State Contest
2003-06-02 --

BNSF carman Greg Garrett can add another title to his resume -- license plate designer. His covered wagon design has been selected for the new Nebraska state license plate. His design incorporates his artistic eye for color with history of the area, featuring a covered wagon symbolic of the Oregon Trail.

The license plate was unveiled Friday, May 30, at the state Capitol by Governor Mike Johanns and Beverly Neth, director of the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

The plate will begin appearing on vehicles in 2005. State law requires license plate designs to change every three years. Law enforcement has traditionally supported the change to make it easier to identify cars with outdated registrations.

A selection committee announced the three plate finalists May 6. The public voted on plates by ballot or online through Tuesday, May 27, 110,207 votes were cast. Garrett's design received 46,460 votes, 42 percent of the total.

Garrett, a 48-year-old Alliance, Neb., resident, said a lot of people in Alliance and western Nebraska voted for his design.

“They kind of stick together when somebody's out here representing them,” he said shortly after the governor handed him a sample plate with his winning design.

He said winning was very good, but he felt more comfortable communicating through his artwork than talk. “I'm not overly emotional,” he said. “I guess I wouldn't be any good on a game show,” he told News 6 in Omaha.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Well, I've always wondered what the state outline looks like... good thing it is on the plate. I suppose that's one reason to wait until I move back for at least 5 more years.

And what's the deal with putting the website on the plate? You can't read them from behind, and like I'm going to write it down in the car or remember to check it out when I get home!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Hmmm. File this one in the weird department. Greg Garret is my ex-brother-in-law's Dad. :lol:

Pretty bland. Neither offensive nor anything to get excited about. I would have voted for the Chimney Rock/Omaha design.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

:lol:
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Isn't that little sunset over the covered wagon what the current plates are suppose to look like....we all know how that turned out :roll:

At least this beats that redish orange explosion on the current plates...I guess.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I like the one with Omaha's skyline...very retro looking.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Twiztid1 wrote:And if you don't like the husker plates(which I don't), you should check out the iowa hawkeye plates. They are worse than anything we've had...recently anyways.
I totally agree with you on the Hawkeye plates.

The Cyclone plates, on the other hand, totally rock! :wink:
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Unlike most Nebraskans, I like the license plates our state puts out. I like this one too. The green bird one would look terrible on cars with those colors, and the the other one is too retro looking. It kind of says we liked the '80s so much that we never left.

The colors on the new one look good. I like the gradiants. Who besides Nebraskans really care if there's a freaking covered wagon on the license plate. No one in any other state is going to wonder if we still drive them around seeing as how the plate is attached to a car. It's too small for most to see anyway unless they walk by the car while its parked. That's when most people will see the web-site too. There's nothing wrong with having the web-site on the plate either. If anything it shows our progressiveness. The states of Pennsylvania, Indiana and now Georgia have the state web-site on their plates. And so what if the outline of the state is on there? Connecticut, Texas, Montana, Florida, New Jersey and Georgia's new one have an outline of their state on their's.

If you really can't stand our plates, then you can move to Kentucky where they have a smiley face on the sunshine in the middle of their plate, or to Idaho where their plate slogan is "famous potatoes", or to Maine where the representation of the sky on their plate is gray, or to North Carolina where they have the Wright Brother's plane on their's. That happened such a long time ago. I'm sure they complain about how unprogressive it makes them feel as Nebraskans do about covered wagons. :roll: You might also want to consider living in North Dakota, their's has a buffalo, or Ohio's, they are stuck in the past too with the slogan "birthplace of Aviation." We all know that nothing has happened in Ohio since then. Luckily they can't have a historic plane because North Carolina already stole that idea. You could try Oklahoma where their plate is devoted to the Native Americans. Or how about Virginia? They have an old ship on their's from around the time of the 13 colonies. I'm sure they're mad about that piece of the old times. Wyoming has a rodeo man on their's. Sport of rural people it is. But, best of all, you can go to Wisconsin where they've had the same basic plate design since 1986, it has a farm on it and a slogan that says "America's Dairyland. I'm sure everyone who passes a Wisconsin car thinks "...bunch of damn cow milkers." Iowa has a farm on their's too. Don't you wish we had a farm? Georgia and Florida can't get away from having some examples of the fruit their rural residents grow. But if those plates weren't exciting enough, Arkansas, Michigan, Delaware, and Massachusetts have excessively bland plates. :roll:

I think one of you should take the initiative and design a license plate for the next go around. You need to remember that Omaha and Nebraska aren't synonymous though.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Why do you think I moved to Colorado? The license plate was my primary reason! :)
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Iowa has a farm on their's too. Don't you wish we had a farm?
Hey now, we have a city on our plates too, give us credit for being progressive! :wink:

Just for the record, I think the Nebraska plates look fine. Anyone that judges a state solely by the license plate is a, well, this is a family forum, so I'll just keep that opinion to myself.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

How come Nebraska doesn't put out multiple vanity plates like other states do? They do raise some revenue & help causes (see Iowa, etc.) Even variety (see Utah) would be nice...
sokkerdewd
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Before it was a problem because we didn't have the digital printing capabilities - steel plates vs the new cardboard-ish ones. Also, there was a measure in the legslature to approve vanity plates (different org's, etc). I believe Ernie Chambers had it defeated by tacking on so many irrelevant and ridiculous groups and causes for vanity plate approval the concept became a joke.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Iowa has about 50 different things you can put on a plate.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Come on guys quit your whinin' about the new plates. I agree with Titos. When the current plates came out, which I liked, everybody and their brother upset and moaned about them. Now we have a Covered wagon, which represents part of our history and there is no reason to be ashamed of it. The covered wagons also meant thousands of people poured into Omaha and developed this great city. Yes some left following the Oregon trail, so what.

I don't know why everyone is so defensive about symbols of our history. I think the covered wagons are cool with the sunset in the background. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Besides I'm sure they don't think anything.

Be proud of your history. It's unique. :o

Rah, rah, rah. :lol:
OmahaHome
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OmahaHome »

I am back home! Good to be back in the States and Omaha. I hate the new plates. They are ugly and have a wagon on them...I prefur the John Dere tractor riding into the sun set myself. Or maybe a stalk of corn. After this I am going to set up residance in Missouri, Ill, or Iowa to get a good plate. All in favor of Omaha Metro seperating from the rest of Aksarben, spelled the way Nebraska thinks (backwards) say Ay!

Ay!
I hate the new plate... I designed one way better but the stupid governer didn´t pick it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

projectman wrote:
Be proud of your history. It's unique.
Omaha history ins't exactly Nebraska history. So that's probably why som many people |expletive| about the covered wagon. It's not like a covered wagon is as memorable as the Wright brothers flight.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't like the chosen plate at all "thematically". The colors and composition ore fine. I really hate the "Nebraska font".

In fact, the style that "Nebraska" is printed in is gawdy retro. The plate with Chimney Rock and the "almost" Omaha skyline is more retro in the cool, good sense.

Whatever. I'm still waiting for the day when this state "gets it". It'll come eventually.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

I totally agree with you on that last line, Aaron!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm still waiting for the day when this state "gets it". It'll come eventually.
It is also possible as you get older that your opinions will mellow and you may find you have more in common at that point with the rest of the state.

Hey, it could happen. Wisdom is a perspective attained over a continuum of time. And always evolving.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I think the states already "got it". Just can't keep everyone happy.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, the state surely doesn't "get it" yet. But guy4omaha, you're absolutely right. I can't predict the future, and maybe oneday I'll just become a simple-minded drone like much of the people in this state ;) . You never know. You never know.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Nooo!! Don't do it Aaron, don't do it!!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Well, the state surely doesn't "get it" yet. But guy4omaha, you're absolutely right. I can't predict the future, and maybe oneday I'll just become a simple-minded drone like much of the people in this state ;) . You never know. You never know.
No, one never knows. I am certainly a different cat today than I was twenty years ago. Some of the things I tolerate today or even appreciate today, I would have never guessed twenty years ago. Some things that I no longer care for today as opposed to twenty years ago are just as mind boggling to the twenty something I used to be.

This thread is piquing my curiosity more and more if you care to humor me. What are some of the things that the "simple-minded drone" portion of Nebraska's population doesn't get? Or what are some examples of this "simple-minded drone" mindset? Is this mindset more prevalent in Nebraska than other places in your opinion. All of my life, I have heard parties from both Omaha and "outstate" Nebraska speak of cultural and economic divides. This has always interested me and troubled me at the same time.

Personally, I think both cultures have a lot to offer and offer to each other. But sometimes, I feel like a lone soldier in that viewpoint. Anyway, if you care to share more opinion, fire away. Somewhere behind all of this is an opportunity for more enlightenment and perhaps all of us can widen our thinking some.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

guy4omaha wrote: Or what are some examples of this "simple-minded drone" mindset?
The Huskers must win, there the only thing people outside of the state know us for. At least according to my aunt. And the belief that Omaha is dangerous version of Lincoln.
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

DTO, I'm not sure what he means by lumping us all into the "simple minded drones" category if we disagree with his opinions. Whatever.

I do know that I have heard people from out of state, who have visited or transplanted, say that we are too hard on ourselves and that we are too worried about what other parts of the country think about us. They also say that Omahans don't give themselves enough credit and that we are always apologizing for whatever. People here get their knickers in a twist about River City roundup, or the weather or the farmer/rural thing, the corn thing or apologizing about nothing to do. I think this particular attribute about us is what sticks in people's minds the most. We are too defensive and sometimes our own worst enemy when trying to improve our image. I don't know why this is.

Every state has its stereotypes. Arkansas - hillbillies with no teeth, North Carolina -- marrying your cousins, Iowa,-- corn/hog farmers and big cheerleaders, Texas - redneck cowboys, New York -- snobs, muggers and murderers... Florida -- cubans and old people, Louisiana-- Deliverance(the movie)... Wisconsin -- Dairy farmers... Oregon -- Tree huggers... South Carolina --have you ever watched Wife Swappers?The list goes on..

People should relax, quit apologizing and start bragging. :o 8)
Last edited by projectman on Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think I'm very unapologetic about Omaha.
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Yes you and most people in here are ambassaders for the city definitely.... but there are still lots of hangups about the ruralness of the state and the history and the symbols that come with it.
Lots of people seem to be really embarrassed. I guess you get the attitude " Who gives a f***" as you get. older.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Big Cheerleaders? :lol:

Did you watch the Capital One Bowl or something?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

guy4omaha wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Well, the state surely doesn't "get it" yet. But guy4omaha, you're absolutely right. I can't predict the future, and maybe oneday I'll just become a simple-minded drone like much of the people in this state ;) . You never know. You never know.
No, one never knows. I am certainly a different cat today than I was twenty years ago. Some of the things I tolerate today or even appreciate today, I would have never guessed twenty years ago. Some things that I no longer care for today as opposed to twenty years ago are just as mind boggling to the twenty something I used to be.

This thread is piquing my curiosity more and more if you care to humor me. What are some of the things that the "simple-minded drone" portion of Nebraska's population doesn't get? Or what are some examples of this "simple-minded drone" mindset? Is this mindset more prevalent in Nebraska than other places in your opinion. All of my life, I have heard parties from both Omaha and "outstate" Nebraska speak of cultural and economic divides. This has always interested me and troubled me at the same time.

Personally, I think both cultures have a lot to offer and offer to each other. But sometimes, I feel like a lone soldier in that viewpoint. Anyway, if you care to share more opinion, fire away. Somewhere behind all of this is an opportunity for more enlightenment and perhaps all of us can widen our thinking some.
I'm glad you asked, Guy4Omaha. I'll do my best to answer it. And Projectman, I certainly wouldn't include anyone from this board in the "simple-minded drones". I'm simply saying that they exist, and sadly I think they hold the majority.

I certainly know Omaha. To quote Leonardo DaVinci, "To know something is to love it. If you little know something you can love it only little or not at all." I know Omaha so well I can't help but love it. But with such knowledge and love of one's home also comes the ability to perceive its weeknesses. Only from someone who fully knows and loves something can criticism truly be valued. When I talk about the majority of people in Nebraska just not "getting it", I'm using that as a blanket term to describe many people in Nebraska's (absolutely including Omaha) reluctance, and possible inability, to think in a forward manner. Too many people in this state are willing to settle for the mundane, the status quo, the monotonous; attitudes that are all too prevailant in our state and local governments. And I absolutely think it's more of a problem here than in most places. We certainly are not the worst, but we are so far from even being average. Eric Miller (Zephyr) recently wrote a document called "Cosmetropolis". It's a vision for the Omaha metropolitan region over the next 20-some years. It is absolutely full of fabulous ideas and concepts that will enrich the lives of everyone in the Omaha region. However, he brought up one very good point, among others. We all know that Omaha has been making some pretty major strides in its attitudes toward urban growth and development. But what most people haven't stopped to realize is that it's almost ALL been privately persued. And good for those people and corporations that had the vision and courage to take it uppon themselves to better our city. But where is the leadership? Destination Midtown, North Downtown, OmahaByDesign...all privately persued. Of course, the city was dragged into it as an afterthought because everything needs city aproval. As Eric pointed out in "Cosmetropolis", Omaha doesn't even have a downtown plan. What major city doesn't have a downtown plan? Omaha's planning department is full of people with no more personality or vision than a broom. It's just their job. They go there, do their paper work, and head home. It just seems so common in the government offices of our state and our local city governments. And my point is, most people in the state are perfectly comfortable with sitting back and letting this static leadership remain. It's time to ask for more. More from our city and more from our state. Hooray for the private sector for getting things going, and reveiling to us what horrible leadership we enjoy here in the good life.